Pattern of 14

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; from David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah, fourteen generations.
Matthew 1:17 NASB
https://bible.com/bible/100/mat.1.17.NASB

Is there anything we should understand about all three A to D, and D to the deportation to Babylon, to the Deportation of Babylon to Messiah?

Is there a significance to the consistency of this pattern? Is it a numbers thing that we can glean from?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; from David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah, fourteen generations.

Is there anything we should understand about all three A to D, and D to the deportation to Babylon, to the Deportation of Babylon to Messiah?

Is there a significance to the consistency of this pattern? Is it a numbers thing that we can glean from?
All I really know is that God is big of numbers and that they are have numerical and spiritual significance. I would absolutely consider consistency in patterns in the study of pertinent scripture regarding such numerical occurrence.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014

I think one of the Thoene AD chronicles books got into this. It was either 4 or 5 ( 4-6 being kind of an internal trilogy on the Christmas story). If I remember correctly it was symbolic of the hand ( 14 knuckles on your hand) and of the strong right hand of God that would save his people. But that's what I read in a religious fiction book (though their books tend to be very illuminating of parts of Jewish culture), not any results of formal study I did on my own.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hi CharliRenee, :)

Great question! Matthew was writing to the Jews. This is something they would understand and find meaning in.
When I summarize the people listed, it's the culmination of Abraham (Father of many nations), David (Beloved), and Messiah (the Anointed One). (Side Note: Babylon means confusion, mixture)

I think all the names listed in the genealogy when read by their meaning and not their name and in the order listed, it has a message. Kinda like a secret message hidden within the names within the scripture. God likes to make us dig for the secrets.

I'll go get my shovel and see what the Holy Spirit lets me find! LOL! :love:

Here is the scripture, just in case anyone else wants to grab a shovel, too! :giggle:

Matthew 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;

3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;

4 And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon;

5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;

6 And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias;

7 And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa;

8 And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias;

9 And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias;

10 And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias;

11 And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon:

12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;

13 And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;

14 And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud;

15 And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;

16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.

L

LPT

Matthew is the Kings lineage so to speak, there is another lineage in Luke that is intertwined as well.

Mt1:1
A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham:

Mt1:17
Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David,
Fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ.

(14) ~ generations ~ Mt1:6b: (1st) David was the father of Solomon, whose mother had been Uriah's wife,

Mt1:7
(2nd) Solomon the father of Rehoboam,
(3rd) Rehoboam the father of Abijah,
(4th) Abijah the father of Asa,

Mt1:8
(5th) Asa the father of Jehoshaphat,
(6th) Jehoshaphat the father of Jehoram,
(7th) Jehoram the father of Uzziah,

Mt1:9
(8th) Uzziah the father of Jotham,
(9th) Jotham the father of Ahaz,
(10th) Ahaz the father of Hezekiah,

Mt1:10
(11th) Hezekiah the father of Manasseh,
(12th) Manasseh the father of Amon,
(13th) Amon the father of Josiah,

Mt1:11 and (14th) Josiah the father of (Jeconiah) and his brothers at the time of the exile to Babylon.

(14) ~ generations ~ Mt1:12
After the exile to Babylon:
(1st) Jeconiah was the father of Shealtiel,
(2nd) Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel,

Mt1:13
(3rd) Zerubbabel the father of Abiud,
(4th) Abiud the father of Eliakim,
(5th) Eliakim the father of Azor,

Mt1:14
(6th) Azor the father of Zadok,
(7th) Zadok the father of Akim,
(8th) Akim the father of Eliud,

Mt1:15
(9th) Eliud the father of Eleazar,
(10th) Eleazar the father of Matthan,
(11th) Matthan the father of Jacob,

Mt1:16
and (12th) Jacob the father of (13th) Joseph,
the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus,
who is called (14th) Christ.

(40) ~ generations ~ Lk3:23
Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old, when he began his ministry. [Baptism]
He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, and the son of (40th) Heli, [Mary’s father]

Lk3:24
the son of (39th) Matthat,
the son of (38th) Levi,
the son of (37th) Melki,
the son of (36th) Jannai,
the son of (35th) Joseph,
Lk3:25
the son of (34th) Mattathias,
the son of (33rd) Amos,
the son of (32nd) Nahum,
the son of (31st) Esli,
the son of (30th) Naggai,
Lk3:26
the son of (29th) Maath,
the son of (28th) Mattathias,
the son of (27th) Semein,
the son of (26th) Josech,
the son of (25th) Joda,
Lk3:27
the son of (24th) Joanan,
the son of (23rd) Rhesa,
the son of (22nd) Zerubbabel,
the son of (21st) Shealtiel,
the son of (20th) Neri,
Lk3:28
the son of (19th) Melki,
the son of (18th) Addi,
the son of (17th) Cosam,
the son of (16th) Elmadam,
the son of (15th) Er,
Lk3:29
the son of (14th) Joshua,
the son of (13th) Eliezer,
the son of (12th) Jorim,
the son of (11th) Matthat,
the son of (10th) Levi,
Lk3:30
the son of (9th) Simeon,
the son of (8th) Judah,
the son of (7th) Joseph,
the son of (6th) Jonam,
the son of (5th) Eliakim,
Lk3:31
the son of (4th) Melea,
the son of (3rd) Menna,
the son of (2nd) Mattatha,
the son of (1st) Nathan,
the son of David,

(14) ~ generations
Mt1:6a: and (13th) Jesse the father of (14th) King David. Lk3:32a: the son of Jesse,

Mt1:5c: (12th) Obed the father of Jesse, Lk3:32b: the son of Obed,
Mt1:5b: (11th) Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Lk3:32c: the son of Boaz,
Mt1:5a: (10th) Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Lk3:32d: the son of Salmon,

Mt1:4c: (9th) Nahshon the father of Salmon, Lk3:32e: the son of Nahshon,
Mt1:4b: (8th) Amminadab the father of Nahshon, Lk3:33a: the son of Amminadab,
Mt1:4a: (7th) Ram the father of Amminadab, Lk3:33b: the son of Ram,

Mt1:3c: (6th) Hezron the father of Ram, Lk3:33c: the son of Hezron,
Mt1:3b: (5th) Perez the father of Hezron, Lk3:33d: the son of Perez,
Mt1:3a: (4th) Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar, Lk3:33e: the son of Judah,

Mt1:2c: (3rd) Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, Lk3:34a: the son of Jacob,
Mt1:2b: (2nd) Isaac the father of Jacob, Lk3:34b: the son of Isaac,
Mt1:2a: (1st) Abraham was the father of Isaac, Lk3:34c: the son of Abraham,

(20) ~ generations
Lk3:34d: the son of (20th) Terah,
Lk3:34e: the son of (19th) Nahor,

Lk3:35
the son of (18th) Serug,
the son of (17th) Reu,
the son of (16th) Peleg,
the son of (15th) Eber,
the son of (14th) Shelah,
Lk3:36
the son of (13th) Cainan,
the son of (12th) Arphaxad,
the son of (11th) Shem,

the son of (10th) Noah,
the son of (9th) Lamech,
Lk3:37
the son of (8th) Methuselah,
the son of (7th) Enoch,
the son of (6th) Jared,
the son of (5th) Mahalalel,
the son of (4th) Kenan,
Lk3:38
the son of (3rd) Enosh,
the son of (2nd) Seth,
the son of (1st) Adam,
the son of God.

R

RodB65

It's interesting that in 1 Chronicles 3:10-12 you have " Jehoshaphat his son, Joram his son, Ahaziah his son, Joash his son, Amaziah his son, Azariah (Uzziah) his son, Jotham his son...

Yet Matthew left Ahaziah, Joash, and Amaziah out of his genealogy list. He left out Jehoiakim (v 15) as well.

Maybe Matthew only listed those who served a full generation or something?

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018

Great question! Matthew was writing to the Jews. This is something they would understand and find meaning in.
When I summarize the people listed, it's the culmination of Abraham (Father of many nations), David (Beloved), and Messiah (the Anointed One). (Side Note: Babylon means confusion, mixture)

I think all the names listed in the genealogy when read by their meaning and not their name and in the order listed, it has a message. Kinda like a secret message hidden within the names within the scripture. God likes to make us dig for the secrets.

Here is the scripture, just in case anyone else wants to grab a shovel, too! :giggle:

1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;

3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;

4 And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon;

5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;

6 And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias;

11 And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon:

12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;

16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.
Great explanation sis :)

Well, if we’re talking numbers here, I find that the number 3 is also a favourite lol....

1. The 3 Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).
2. After Christ death it took 3 days till he was resurrected.
3. In the OT, the Generations of Abraham are always mentioned in the order of 3 “Abraham, Issac and Jacob”.
4. Jonah was in the belly of the whale for 3 days and 3 nights.

Just at the top of my head.... any other 3’s?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014

I like the way you broke those down the verses like that and that you ate digging in, I like that a lot. Please do and let me know what u find. Oh I see, so if I write down all their names, look at what they mean and see what story it tells. Another brother recently shared something about this. This is going to be fun I think.

Aug 2, 2009

In Hebrew, David's name adds up to 14 when each letter is treated as a number.

The name David means "beloved."

Aug 2, 2009
Look at it this way...

Put the name David aside, and consider the fact that 14 means "beloved"...

So all the generations from Abraham to David are God's beloved generations; from David to the deportation to Babylon, are God's beloved generations; and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah, are God's beloved generations.

:)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Great explanation sis :)

Well, if we’re talking numbers here, I find that the number 3 is also a favourite lol....

1. The 3 Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).
2. After Christ death it took 3 days till he was resurrected.
3. In the OT, the Generations of Abraham are always mentioned in the order of 3 “Abraham, Issac and Jacob”.
4. Jonah was in the belly of the whale for 3 days and 3 nights.

Just at the top of my head.... any other 3’s?
Three Dog Night but that's a band and probably is not biblical. :)