Pentecostal Holiness versus Church of Pentecost

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 29, 2012
What is the doctrinal / theology difference between Pentecostal Holiness and The Church of Pentecost?
Does anyone have first hand understanding?

B

Blackpowderduelist

I would advise avoidance of both.

CS1

May 23, 2012
What is the doctrinal / theology difference between Pentecostal Holiness and The Church of Pentecost?
Does anyone have first hand understanding?
the name on the building LOL.

The word "Holiness" is speaking of a legalistic movement within the church called the Holiness Movement. FYI not only Pentecostals were a part of that movement. it started as far back as the puritans and John and Charles Westly were very much a part of that which was in the Methodist church.

The Church of Pentecost is speaking by what I get from the name that those inside that church building Identify with the experience found in Acts chapter 2. Yet they can also be part of the holiness doctrine. I hope that helps :)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The church of Pentecost has its origins about 1900. It stated in Ghana by a missionary sent out from the Apostolic church in the UK.

The holiness movement is an old movement and included several denominations like the Methodists. They strove to obey the biblical command to be holy as Christ is holy. The Quakers followed this type of conduct.

A good dose of holiness and personal purity is needed in the church today.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Apr 29, 2012
Thanks for all replies.

My neighbor is a member of a local International Church of Pentecost. I have gone to 4 services and their praise/worship broke through to Hebrews 12 22-24 once for about 30 seconds and they just walked away as if it was nothing important. The Lords presence is there.

I went to a Charismatic church in Virginia from the early 70s to late 80s with some backsliding and rebellion. Moved to Florida in 87 in an attempt to run from GOD - no one knew me here. At every service in Va we broke through that barrier into GODs presence. A.K.A. 'high praise." See again Heb 12 22-24.

About 12 years ago at my sons request I joined him at the church he attended expecting praise and worship like what I had run from back in Va. I left the service in tears and sat in my car for about 1/2 hour and just wept. Praise and worship has been changed to a point that I no longer recognize it.

I have done some research and ran across the phrase "praise wars" of the early 90s into 2010 and further. What was once truly praise and worship has become a performance by a band behind the pulpit. The congregation focuses more on the performance on stage than on GOD. The congregation ,for the most part, are there to be entertained.

I have a deep burning desire to be a part of true praise and worship growing in me now so I tried The Church of Pentecost and found some of the history mentioned mentioned above. Born out of an early 20th century Holy Ghost revival. The Pentecostal Holiness denomination formed around 1935 or so. Then came a split concerning the words spoken at an individuals water baptism. The PH taught "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost." The Internationals say "I baptize you in the name of the Father, in the name of Jesus ,
and the Holy Ghost." It seems like a legalistic division/split to me. I won't be going back there as I don't want to be a stumbling block to the folks there because of the doctrinal beliefs. I had a conversation with the pastor and he was quite defensive about his doctrine. So I just walked away. International Church of Pentecost denomination formed in about 1962.

Does any else have some first hand understanding.

thanks

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
@oldman - Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. No matter what denomination you end up with.....you'll be disappointed. All denominations are manmade. God NEVER said to "Go ye into all the Earth and make denominations and doctrines of men." :rolleyes:

Just look at the people and love them and be who God has called you to be, forget about the denominations....look at the people. You'll find your fit! I thoroughly enjoy the charismatic group! We're jumping jelly beans during praise! lol! :giggle:

True Believers are just passing through....travelers....on our way to the Holy City.....nothing on this Earth is as is should be.....yet.

Enjoy your travels...see you at the Holy City! :love:(y)

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
I'm all fine with that spiritual gifts still are available and working. I believe it. Not sure I'm so fine with most of the pentecostal or charismatic denominations though.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I'm all fine with that spiritual gifts still are available and working. I believe it. Not sure I'm so fine with most of the pentecostal or charismatic denominations though.
For sure. Our amazing God is always creating, tearing down, and then rebuilding. The Spirit is always at work.

B

Blackpowderduelist

@oldman - Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. No matter what denomination you end up with.....you'll be disappointed. All denominations are manmade. God NEVER said to "Go ye into all the Earth and make denominations and doctrines of men." :rolleyes:

Just look at the people and love them and be who God has called you to be, forget about the denominations....look at the people. You'll find your fit! I thoroughly enjoy the charismatic group! We're jumping jelly beans during praise! lol! :giggle:

True Believers are just passing through....travelers....on our way to the Holy City.....nothing on this Earth is as is should be.....yet.

Enjoy your travels...see you at the Holy City! :love:(y)
True enough. Denominations are a human construct devised by prideful men. They serve only to make it difficult for a new Christian to find a good church home.
It took a lot of prayer and study for me to land where I am now. I am glad that God lead me through it all though, and brought me to this place.

CS1

May 23, 2012
True enough. Denominations are a human construct devised by prideful men. They serve only to make it difficult for a new Christian to find a good church home.
It took a lot of prayer and study for me to land where I am now. I am glad that God lead me through it all though, and brought me to this place.
You do know that non-denominational churches are very much denominational LOL

B

Blackpowderduelist

I agree, they add to the confusion.
And yes I know my church is a denomination as well. But what are ya gonna do. We didn't want to be, we wanted the church to get back to the Bible, but the pope was just too corrupt.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I agree, they add to the confusion.
And yes I know my church is a denomination as well. But what are ya gonna do. We didn't want to be, we wanted the church to get back to the Bible, but the pope was just too corrupt.
The idea that a denomination is bad is not necessarily correct. it was doctrinal fidelity that Martin Luther protested against the RCC. The reason why there are so many is that people built around a movement of God instead of following God.

D

DWR

I know a person very well that 20 years ago was a part of a new SBC Baptist church being established in a collage town.
After about 5 years, their growth leveled off at about 300.
They decided to take Baptist off the sign and off all their literature and become non-denominational.
Of course, that was in name only, their teaching did not change,
Within another 5 years they had grown to 500 and now have 800 in attendance.
Where as the collage crowd avoided them as Baptist, they now have a great number of them in attendance.

The day of having a general idea of what a church taught and practiced by the name out front, is long past.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I know a person very well that 20 years ago was a part of a new SBC Baptist church being established in a collage town.
After about 5 years, their growth leveled off at about 300.
They decided to take Baptist off the sign and off all their literature and become non-denominational.
Of course, that was in name only, their teaching did not change,
Within another 5 years they had grown to 500 and now have 800 in attendance.
Where as the collage crowd avoided them as Baptist, they now have a great number of them in attendance.

The day of having a general idea of what a church taught and practiced by the name out front, is long past.
it's not about numbers it's about truth and faithfulness

D

DWR

it's not about numbers it's about truth and faithfulness
I agree, but many do not. Greater numbers means more money and more wealth to those drawing a check.
Everyone needs to understand that "church" has become a business for many if not most "leaders' today.
I doubt Jesus recognizes many of these "churches' as His.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I agree, but many do not. Greater numbers means more money and more wealth to those drawing a check.
Everyone needs to understand that "church" has become a business for many if not most "leaders' today.
I doubt Jesus recognizes many of these "churches' as His.
Well, God will destroy a city if He cannot find at least 10 righteous.......so, maybe if a church is still operating.....there are at least 10 righteous people in that congregation somewhere.....:unsure::love:(y)

I do praise God that there are still Christian churches with their doors open in America!! Thank You Jesus! Hallelujah! :love:(y)