Pentecostalism's sketchy origins

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 17, 2021
Are Christ's words limited to the Gospel?
or
Are His words, as it is written, from Genesis to Revelation?

Does not the scripture say this of Christ:
Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:
“Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
But a body You have prepared for Me.
In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin
You had no pleasure.
Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
In the volume of the book it is written of Me
To do Your will, O God.’ ”

Did not the LORD say this to the Apostles:
I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth;
for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

HalleluYah - Open your heart so that the LORD can open your eyes to understanding and you also will laugh in great Joy.
The rest of what Christ has to say to the church is found in Paul's letters.

Mar 17, 2021
TB went through most of the Pentecostal and quite a number of non-Pentecostal churches in Australia. It was officially endorsed by what was then known as the AOG and Australia's home grown CRC. I and others spent a year checking this abomination. We started neutral as we had been praying for revival and we hoped that was what we were seeing. Tragically, not. The opposite.
I'm a bit puzzled about "TB". What is that? I've never heard of it.

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
I agree with much of what you said here. But the point of disagreement is what I said was the one thing that distinguishes the P/Cs from other denominations, which is tongues. And I'm not the only one who has a problem with it, there are many. I'm simply one who has studied the subject for many years because I had a vested interest in knowing the truth about it.

I do also get that you're not going to be persuaded to re-examine your experience, as it appears to me that you firmly believe in your experiences. And as I said before, you tend to judge people of other denominations according to your experience and your familiarity with your fellowship group. You have certain sentiments in your encounters with people, and it is natural to judge people based on those sentiments.

But I have exited the P/C movement and embraced the Reformed movement, because that's where my sentiments are, in love of the word of God. It's the reason I go to a Bible church where the Bible is taught "16 ounces to the pound." In later years I find more inspiration in the scriptures than I do in the theatrics of the P/Cs.
I agree that scriptures should be taught focusing on ascertaining the intended message when the author wrote it and using all the rules of hermeneutics to do so. Understanding THAT message and preaching it is what will transform people and cause them to have an encounter with God.

The problem I have with Reformed theology is that they seemed to have stopped before they finished the job. Let's get back to the original pattern. I think the Pentecostals are more reformers than the Reformers.

Next we need to address the Lords Supper. It does not seem to have been reformed to the original method in any of our churches including the Reformed and the Pentecostals. It's as if we still have some Catholic artifacts still hanging around that need reformed.

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
Parham wasn't looking for truth, he was looking for an angle. Like all good con artists do.
The students were looking for truth. And they found it. As can you. Just read the scriptures and let them do what they do when read in faith. They produce faith. The message they convey will create an expectation for one to say "Here Am I Lord. Use Me" and He will. And expecting that He will use you as He did believers in the book of Acts, is the right attitude and right heart of faith.

Mar 17, 2021
Parham wasn't looking for truth, he was looking for an angle. Like all good con artists do.
Parham didn't initiate the speaking with tongues. It happened with a woman in his congregation, and then it spread through the whole group. It was just as new to him as it was with everyone else. He wasn't sure about it at first, but had to accept what was happening as a sovereign move of God. As a matter of fact, when Parham went to Azusa Street and saw what was happening there, he disagreed with it and parted company with it, went back to his home city and continued with what was happening there. It is important to actually read the history of the time to get a good understanding of what was happening. From what I have read about Parham, I don't believe that he was a con artist at all. He just went with the flow of what he believed God was doing at the time.

C

ChristianTonyB

PC, I believe Gideon is referring to me.

Many of us, after having been extricated by God from a particular denominational church scene, have gone searching for a church group where we felt the Lord would truly be regarded as its Head. All I found in my personal wanderings were other man-derived religious institutions and groups that had some theoligical bias that, by implication, caused them to be unbalanced in their thoughts and expectations.

When I got close to the elders and other individuals and saw their worldly behaviour outside of the Sunday theatrics, it became obvious to me that the Holy Spirit would have nothing to do with them. Therefore the conclusion was that, as far as the pentecostal and charasmatic assemblies that I visited were concerned, the spiritual manifestations on display were not sourced from the Holy Spirit, but from their own vain imaginings.

You and others may or may not agree with my conclusions, and that's fine, and I don't intend to get in a barney with anyone over it. I've put my personal point of view out there, and if there is truth in that, then it will not return to the Lord empty, it will have achieved its goal in some instances to save, and in others to convict.

K

kaylagrl

Because you cannot answer the real issue, you resort to personal affronts. But to be sure, P/Cs impose their agenda onto scripture, and that's what the error is about. But because you think it's about condemnation, you'll never get it, but will keep arguing and being offended.
My friend, you give yourself entirely too much credit. There is no personal affront, you said Pentecostals didn't know the Bible, but to say back to you is an affront ? smh

"Scripture is profitable for correction." If you can't be corrected, then you're unteachable. But of course, you think you're above me, because you think you have the Spirit and I don't. Am I getting to the root problem?
Aye my friend, there's the rub. You're judging the heart of your brother/sister in Christ. Anyone who wants the in filling of the Spirit can have it, and those who don't can walk away. It has nothing to do with salvation. Seems like there is spiritual jealousy at the root humm.

Yet, you are trying to correct me, so don't you think your statement is hypocritical?
No, I'm saying there can be two views here and how about acknowledging that

And here's the rub: your prejudice. Why bring up cessationism,
Because that's the topic.

The issue is about modern tongues in general, which I believe is not the same as Biblical tongues.
You believe, but there are other POVs. Be mature enough to acknowledge that.

And just because someone is impressed with it enough to become a Christian, doesn't make it true or authentic.
Perhaps I wasn't clear about how my pastor friend was saved. He was passing a church and heard someone speaking in his language, he spoke broken English . Interested, he went into the church and the person speaking told him how to be saved. When he asked the pastor after the service who there was from Lebanon. The pastor said no one there was from that country, but explained the person had been speaking in tongues. That was my mistake, I wasn't clear in my response.

K

kaylagrl

Who will be more harshly judged: Those who don't believe because of con-artists or those who continue to support con-artists after they've been exposed?

Asking so you can clarify, are you saying anyone who doesn't believe in cessationism is a con- artist, or supports them?

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
"Toronto Blessing". It was prevalent in the 1990's. It is a counterfeit of the Holy Spirit. There have been frequent false manifestations since the Welsh and Azusa St revivals. The difference is that the TB was all fake, not a mixture as in the past. I'm happy to back up my assertions.

K

kaylagrl

"Toronto Blessing". It was prevalent in the 1990's. It is a counterfeit of the Holy Spirit. There have been frequent false manifestations since the Welsh and Azusa St revivals. The difference is that the TB was all fake, not a mixture as in the past. I'm happy to back up my assertions.
Yep. Totally agree on TB, but I think we discussed that before in another thread.

Marilyn

Jul 27, 2021
A structure is only as solid as its foundation. In this short study into Pentecostalism's origins we'll discover whether it's built on solid rock or sinking sand.

Charles Fox Parham, Pentecostalism's acknowledged founder, spent the summer of 1900 at Frank W. Sanford's Holiness commune in Shiloh, Maine. While there, he learned of the Holiness doctrine of an approaching "latter rain," that is, an outpouring of the Holy Spirit which would fall on people as it had in the church's early day. This would be a sign of Christ's imminent return. What scriptural basis is there for the latter rain doctrine? James says: "Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains."—James 5:7 This is the only verse from which a case might be made for a latter rain. So we must understand clearly what this verse actually says. Is James instructing his readers to be patient for the latter rain or for Christ's return. He's clearly encouraging them be patient for the Lord's return using an agricultural metaphor to make his point. There are no other New Testament scriptures from which we can put together a "latter rain" doctrine; it simply isn't taught. In fact, rather than worldwide revival, the scriptures clearly reveal the world will descend into darkness before the Lord's return.

While at Shiloh, Sanford filled Parham's head with tales of foreign missionaries who had spontaneously begun speaking the language of their foreign hosts without ever learning the language. In other words, they could preach to them in their own languages using the gift of tongues. But what evidence is there of this ever really happening? None that I'm aware of. But Parham was fascinated; he was convinced that this was a sure sign of the end-time and Christ's imminent return.

Returning to Topeka, Kansas, Parham established a missionary training center. In December of 1900, he challenged his students to find evidence of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit like what happened in Acts 2. He also suggested that the surest evidence of this would be speaking in tongues. At their New Year's eve service, 1901, right on schedule, Agnes Ozman asked Parham to lay hands on her head and pray she would receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Ozman began singing in an unknown language, which someone identified as Chinese.

What's strange about this picture? First of all, there's no evidence from the New Testament that missionaries ever used the gift of tongues to preach the good news. When missionaries did eventually go to foreign countries after the "latter rains" started falling, they failed miserably. Secondly, notice that Parham gave his students a suggestion which they pondered for a month. This wasn't a spontaneous outpouring of the Holy Spirit, Parham orchestrated the whole thing.

So, the question I leave you with is this: If the tree is bad, how can the fruit possibly be good?
My heritage is from the Welsh Revival.

Now the Holy Spirit has been sent by the Head, the Lord Jesus Christ to bring us into all truth. Over the first few centuries there was much error and man made systems. (Acts 20: 27 - 30)

These have continued and abound, however the Holy Spirit still continues to bring the Body to maturity, with the unity (by the Spirit) of Faith and knowledge of the Son of God. (Eph. 4: 11 - 16)

Thus looking to man`s systems is fruitless, but looking and holding fast to the Head is security. (Col. 2: 19)

May 22, 2020

Many of us, after having been extricated by God from a particular denominational church scene, have gone searching for a church group where we felt the Lord would truly be regarded as its Head. All I found in my personal wanderings were other man-derived religious institutions and groups that had some theoligical bias that, by implication, caused them to be unbalanced in their thoughts and expectations.

When I got close to the elders and other individuals and saw their worldly behaviour outside of the Sunday theatrics, it became obvious to me that the Holy Spirit would have nothing to do with them. Therefore the conclusion was that, as far as the pentecostal and charasmatic assemblies that I visited were concerned, the spiritual manifestations on display were not sourced from the Holy Spirit, but from their own vain imaginings.

You and others may or may not agree with my conclusions, and that's fine, and I don't intend to get in a barney with anyone over it. I've put my personal point of view out there, and if there is truth in that, then it will not return to the Lord empty, it will have achieved its goal in some instances to save, and in others to convict.

You summarized the church environment today....accurately.
Many, as I, are finding that a God fearing...Bible KJV teaching environment is almost unavailable.

We keep trying...even non denominational ...with little success.

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
I agree with much of what you said here. But the point of disagreement is what I said was the one thing that distinguishes the P/Cs from other denominations, which is tongues. And I'm not the only one who has a problem with it, there are many. I'm simply one who has studied the subject for many years because I had a vested interest in knowing the truth about it.

I do also get that you're not going to be persuaded to re-examine your experience, as it appears to me that you firmly believe in your experiences. And as I said before, you tend to judge people of other denominations according to your experience and your familiarity with your fellowship group. You have certain sentiments in your encounters with people, and it is natural to judge people based on those sentiments.

But I have exited the P/C movement and embraced the Reformed movement, because that's where my sentiments are, in love of the word of God. It's the reason I go to a Bible church where the Bible is taught "16 ounces to the pound." In later years I find more inspiration in the scriptures than I do in the theatrics of the P/Cs.
I understand that is your testimony and I won't deny that is how you feel.

However, Pentecostals such as the AG do teach from many of the same text books in their bible colleges as Reformists. We believe the same things about the authority of Scripture and how to properly exegete a text.

I also am a lover of careful exegesis. Heremeneutics has been one of my favorite subjects in bible college and we are always teaching people how to identify the intended message in the text and preach that instead of all sorts of topical, and relevant messages that have nothing to do with what the author was communicating.

That the supernatural, life transforming message in the Word of God, the one with AUTHORITY, inspiration, inerrant, and infallible is the one that the author intended when he wrote it based on the original context.

And yes, it is true that when one discovers that message and applies it they will have "experiences." Experiences and the Word of God properly interpreted go hand in hand.

The Assemblies of God uses the same popular text books on Hermeneutics in their bible colleges that the non pentecostal and reformist bible colleges use. Same authors, same text books. They both teach how to identify the meaning that the author intended in the original context. And Pentecostals that do that do not put experience over the scripture, instead it is because they believe the scripture they are able to have the faith necessary to experience the same things that the early church experienced.

But it is true that many laymen Pentecostals do not know how to articulate from scripture a careful answer to the ones that would question them, and they lean on their experience as their proof that it is authentic.

This is simply because it is really true that those who have experienced the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues know that it is real and they don't need to prove it to anyone so they don't educate themselves in such a way as to present a scholarly argument; which in turn opens them up to the accusation that they put experience over the scripture when it fact it was the scripture that brought them to their experience.

And I am not trying to get you to change your mind, I know we are both past that, I am simply trying to present more facts from a Pentecostal perspective about how we think about scripture and experience.

Mar 17, 2021

It all depends on the quality of the leadership. When I joined the AOG in 1966, many Pentecostal church leaderships had no theological training. In fact, they were anti-academic, because they believed that theology was "the dead letter:, which is actually a misquote of the phrase. Paul referred to the "dead letter" as the Mosaic Law in terms of achieving justification. But as the years went by, some Pentecostal churches trained their pastors in theology. Duffield's "Foundations of Pentecostal Theology" is a good example of sound theological training for Pentecostal and Charismatic church pastors.

I was fortunate to have been mentored by two Pentecostal pastors who believed in being men of prayer and mighty in the Scriptures. One pastor came to New Zealand from the North of England, and he gave a great expository study in Ephesians. He was never the type of pastor who went into flights of fancy "in the Spirit". The second pastor had his background in the Methodist Holiness movement, and believed that anyone who was to move in the Spirit needed to be totally holy, a man of prayer and of the Word, He actually suppressed outlandish manifestations in his church, and would have no hesitation in telling someone to sit down and be quiet if they went over the odds. Other Pentecostals in the city didn't like his ministry because they thought he was too strict.

In my last Charismatic church I was looked down upon because I adopted Reformed Puritan theology as my foundation, and insisted that if something wasn't clearly set out in the New Testament, then it wasn't true. Also, many people in that church fell below the standard of holiness, and some were clearly worldly in the way they lived. After 7 years in that church, I became disillusioned and left it to join up with my local Anglican church and mixed with Anglican Charismatics who were totally different and much more Scripture based.

Mar 17, 2021
Oh! I see. I am familiar with it. I believe that when it first started the emphasis was on the preaching of the Gospel through Stephen Hill, and many got saved. But as with many revivals, things got out of hand and things degenerated from there. I don't think that the two good Pentecostal pastors who mentored me to be a man of prayer and of the Word, would have gone along with what was happening at the Brownsville church.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Asking so you can clarify, are you saying anyone who doesn't believe in cessationism is a con- artist, or supports them?
I am not a cessationist by any stretch of the definition.

Mar 17, 2021
Paul did not complete all the words of the LORD for His Church - Please read again very carefully Post #601
My attitude is that if it has not be clearly written in the New Testament then Jesus never said it at any time.