People I would like to meet

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
JFK was Catholic. He was Irish or had Irish ancestry and most Irish are Catholic.

I did not know this until a couple of years after I became a christian that Catholics were different to Protestants. Or non-Catholics. thought everyone was just Christian, and believed in all the same things!
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
There have been some amazing people throughout history and amazing people are alive right now. If you could choose, one living and one departed (dead for those who are very literal), who would you choose?

My pick for someone no longer with is was easy. I'd love to meet Watchman Nee. I would like to know a lot more about his life on earth and how he coped with 20 years in a Chinese prison.

I found those living harder to choose. There are countless unnamed heroes of faith in places like North Korea. I'd like to meet a believer from there, find out how they heard the gospel and how they endured in possibly the most hostile nation to Christianity and the most difficult to hide from the authorities.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts.
I sorta met my hero of the faith, I used to write to Kent Hovind when he was in prison. Had a couple phone calls with him too. I know of one girl, I wrote her for 8 years while she was in prison, she is the only one I know of who started going to church after she made parole.

You minister, you can do Gods work, you might be able to meet your hero of faith here on earth but more times than not, you may have to wait for heaven to meet your heros of the faith. Sign up for a mission trip to North Korea. God knows we always need more labourers on the mission fields.
 
It reminds me of the old adage, "Just as going into a stable doesn't make you a horse, so going to Church doesn't make you a Christian".
I thought it was going to McDonalds doesn't make you a hamburger. At least that was my pastor's version of it.

But..I wanted to say...McDonalds DOES make hamburgers for you! They make them for you to buy!
 
JFK was Catholic. He was Irish or had Irish ancestry and most Irish are Catholic.

I did not know this until a couple of years after I became a christian that Catholics were different to Protestants. Or non-Catholics. thought everyone was just Christian, and believed in all the same things!
That is funny, keep studying, and you'll be amazed at how many denominations actually exist that call themselves Christian. No not all who profess Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom.
 
Heroine of faith, even though she crossed dress as a man. Joan of Arc.
Stopped a war with the English.

She was burned at the stake though. Most people regard her as a saint. As a hero of the faith or heroine should be.

A Saint!

Also would like to meet Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Giles. Even Saint Valentine. And of course, Saint Peter and Saint Luke.
 
  • Like
Reactions: I_am_Canadian
That is funny, keep studying, and you'll be amazed at how many denominations actually exist that call themselves Christian. No not all who profess Lord Lord shall enter the kingdom.
Mormons. Jehovahs Witnesses. Christian Scientists, Seventh Day Adventists..all from the US.
Mormons are especially problematic because they use Jesus Christ name in vain. Anyone not knowing would think they are the only true church of Jesus Christ (except for the Church of Christ) and that the Latter Day Saints means that everyone who is Mormon is also a Christian saint. So it's confusing!!

Another thing is Exclusive Brethren...they don't like their Sisters and don't treat them well.
 
At first I thought Pentecostals/Word of Faith people knew everything, they would have Prophets and words of Knowledge and spoke in tongues, but I found out later it wasn't really the case.

Also two words, People's Temple.
Jonestown. Christian?? I don't think so.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
I sorta met my hero of the faith, I used to write to Kent Hovind when he was in prison. Had a couple phone calls with him too. I know of one girl, I wrote her for 8 years while she was in prison, she is the only one I know of who started going to church after she made parole.

You minister, you can do Gods work, you might be able to meet your hero of faith here on earth but more times than not, you may have to wait for heaven to meet your heros of the faith. Sign up for a mission trip to North Korea. God knows we always need more labourers on the mission fields.
The only people who can be missionaries to North Korea are Chinese. Anyone else is escorted continually and kept far away from the real North Korea. Chinese come in as traders. They are able to bribe guards to turn a blind eye to the Bibles and such that they bring in. North Korea has topped the list of the most persecuting nations for decades.
 
The only people who can be missionaries to North Korea are Chinese. Anyone else is escorted continually and kept far away from the real North Korea. Chinese come in as traders. They are able to bribe guards to turn a blind eye to the Bibles and such that they bring in. North Korea has topped the list of the most persecuting nations for decades.
I did not know that, thanks for sharing.
 
Thought he did a good job governing. Got tangled up in Watergate though.
Yes, it was a shame. Nixon disentangled America from the Vietnam war. it was not pretty but it was effective. Previous administrations were too afraid of Russia's involvement. So the rules of engagement were absurd and cost a lot of American lives. Vietnam was not keen to negotiate an American troop withdrawal. Nixon's bombing campaign pressured North Vietnam and America began to withdraw.

Watergate overshadowed a lot of the good that Nixon did. I don't subscribe to the "black or white" view of history. Churchill was amazing but also flawed. Mussolini pretty much created modern Italy. Like Putin now, it was Mussolini's delusion of greatness that undid him. Stalin was probably worse than Hitler, but Stalin was on the winning side. Stalin gets a free pass.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist
JFK was Catholic. He was Irish or had Irish ancestry and most Irish are Catholic.

I did not know this until a couple of years after I became a christian that Catholics were different to Protestants. Or non-Catholics. thought everyone was just Christian, and believed in all the same things!
Don't say that in ireland! Whether you are Catholic or Protestant could be a matter of life and death, depending on which town you're in.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ThereRoseaLamb
Thought he did a good job governing. Got tangled up in Watergate though.
My guess is, the conversation he had with Billy Graham concerning 'them' is what sank him. I think the conversation can still be found on YouTube
 
  • Like
Reactions: tourist