Pet Peeves/Things That Happen in TV and Movies That Would Never Work In Real Life.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

First of all, credit for this thread has to go to Lynx. He actually has lots of great ideas for threads, it's just that he's always trying to get me to write them.

So, let's lighten things up a bit...

What are some of your pet peeves that always seem to happen in the movies, but would never actually work in real life?

The idea for this thread came from a voicemail in which Lynx pointed out that if you watch a movie or show where zombies invade a suburban neighborhood, all the lawns are perfectly mowed.

"Who," he went on to ponder, "is going out there and mowing all that grass? Are they all THAT afraid of their local Homeowner's Association?! It's as if they're all saying, 'Well... Zombies are coming. But I don't want to have to pay a fine, and I don't want to lose my house... So I'd better get out there and get that grass mowed.'"

Maybe it's some kind of studio contract: People dressed as zombies will ONLY agree to growl and hobble across lawns that are perfectly trimmed and manicured. After all, nothing could come across as more tragic than when zombies march right over ones perfectly groomed yard and break down your white picket fence in order to mow down all the people who just mowed that lawn!

At any rate, what are some things you notice in movies and love to roll your eyes at? Please share the humor here. :) (I'm going to write my own ideas in a separate post.)

And, for anyone wondering why this is in the Singles Forum... It just seemed fitting to post it here, seeing as it's the "brain"child (excuse the zombie pun) of two singles forum regulars.

Happy sharing! :)

W

wwjd_kilden

Haha, I never thought about that.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, it annoys me that in 99 our of 100 (or maybe even 199 out of 200) cases,
the hero is American or British. ...Really? Aren't there ANY people that are hero material elsewhere in the world?

And how come all cars blow up?!

And I saw someone mentioned somewhere:

- Wouldn't it be cool if, in the middle of an indoor chase sequence, the hero suddenly just HAD to go to the toilet?

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
One of my biggest annoyances in the world of entertainment is a lack of continuity, and specifically, "genetic inconsistencies", such as (everybody put your nerd hats on):

* The main character (as an adult) has blue eyes, and yet, the main character (when portrayed as a child) has brown eyes, or vice versa. I could be wrong, but eye color does not change as we get older, nor should it change across a character's storyline. And speaking of which...

* The television show, "Growing Pains". Did anyone else notice that the parents on this popular family sitcom both had blue eyes, and yet, the actress they chose as their daughter (Tracey Gold) had brown eyes?

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but eye color is the result of two genes, and blue eyes can only be produced when 2 recessive genes are present. This would mean that brown eyes would not be possible because the gene needed to produce them--the dominant gene--would be absent.

I know this seems nit picky, but to an adopted child who looks like no one else in her family, these things stand out to me like... Wonder Woman with brown eyes. Ahem. (I haven't seem the movie yet and I'm sure Gal Gadot is amazing, but every rendition I've ever seen of WW portrays her with blue eyes, not brown.)

And now you can all see why my original career as a big-league Hollywood director went straight down the tube. I was too busy picking out actors with consistent eye colors that I didn't have time to pay attention to their actual acting skills.

And finally, for the big finale:

Did this bother anyone else?

* The fact that Luke Skywalker asks Leia if she remembers her real mother in Return of the Jedi, and she answers, "Just a little bit. She died while I was very young." And then the prequel had their mother dying... in childbirth.

I remember sitting in the theater wondering if the writers of the prequels had even BOTHERED to watch the first 3 movies (I've read theories about "Force memories" to explain Leia's explanation and other assorted mumbo jumbo...) But that doesn't stop me from thinking, "Is a little continuity between some of the biggest movies of all time really too much to ask???"

I can hardly wait to see everything they casually "forget"... in the "new" Han Solo movie. :rolleyes: Stay tuned. :)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Haha, I never thought about that.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, it annoys me that in 99 our of 100 (or maybe even 199 out of 200) cases,
the hero is American or British. ...Really? Aren't there ANY people that are hero material elsewhere in the world?

And how come all cars blow up?!

And I saw someone mentioned somewhere:

- Wouldn't it be cool if, in the middle of an indoor chase sequence, the hero suddenly just HAD to go to the toilet?
Oh man, WWJD, I've thought about this too, in the form of noticing that it seems like nearly all the movies now days depicting American characters... are all played by Brits, Australians, and anyone else who isn't from America.

Granted, they do a great job. I forget that actors like Christian Bale, Andrew Garfield, and Nicole Kidman AREN'T ACTUALLY AMERICAN until I see/hear them during interviews in which they're using their (very cool) native accents.

But it leaves me wondering... IS THERE NO ONE LEFT IN AMERICA... WHO COULD ACTUALLY PLAY AN AMERICAN???

Z

Zi

I know an AA male with blue eyes. He's not mixed both parents are AA as well.. adding to the "wonder how this works" thought..
One of my biggest annoyances in the world of entertainment is a lack of continuity, and specifically, "genetic inconsistencies", such as (everybody put your nerd hats on):

* The main character (as an adult) has blue eyes, and yet, the main character (when portrayed as a child) has brown eyes, or vice versa. I could be wrong, but eye color does not change as we get older, nor should it change across a character's storyline. And speaking of which...

* The television show, "Growing Pains". Did anyone else notice that the parents on this popular family sitcom both had blue eyes, and yet, the actress they chose as their daughter (Tracey Gold) had brown eyes?

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but eye color is the result of two genes, and blue eyes can only be produced when 2 recessive genes are present. This would mean that brown eyes would not be possible because the gene needed to produce them--the dominant gene--would be absent.

I know this seems nit picky, but to an adopted child who looks like no one else in her family, these things stand out to me like... Wonder Woman with brown eyes. Ahem. (I haven't seem the movie yet and I'm sure Gal Gadot is amazing, but every rendition I've ever seen of WW portrays her with blue eyes, not brown.)

And now you can all see why my original career as a big-league Hollywood director went straight down the tube. I was too busy picking out actors with consistent eye colors that I didn't have time to pay attention to their actual acting skills.

And finally, for the big finale:

Did this bother anyone else?

* The fact that Luke Skywalker asks Leia if she remembers her real mother in Return of the Jedi, and she answers, "Just a little bit. She died while I was very young." And then the prequel had their mother dying... in childbirth.

I remember sitting in the theater wondering if the writers of the prequels had even BOTHERED to watch the first 3 movies (I've read theories about "Force memories" to explain Leia's explanation and other assorted mumbo jumbo...) But that doesn't stop me from thinking, "Is a little continuity between some of the biggest movies of all time really too much to ask???"

I can hardly wait to see everything they casually "forget"... in the "new" Han Solo movie. :rolleyes: Stay tuned. :)

Jul 25, 2015
Shows that have a 24 or 48 hour straight lapse of time and characters never stop to eat or drink and have endless energy

Female leads (tough "guy" roles) shown running and climbing and jumping (oh my) in stilettos

TV shows like Lost where most of female characters had visible make up / mascara on...it would run out eventually

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello and good day Kim, and hello as well to the singles' forum :) I used to know someone who remembered being born. He was invited into Mensa when he was in the seventh grade. He also remembers having the operation required shortly after birth to correct his cleft palette. It seems fantastic to those of us with regular or subnormal brains (whatever normal may be). Perhaps Leia was supposed to be one such person? I really would not know, because, truth be told, despite their widespread popularity, those movies are not my cup of tea :eek::eek:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I know an AA male with blue eyes. He's not mixed both parents are AA as well.. adding to the "wonder how this works" thought..
This is REALLY fascinating, Zi. Man, I wish I could see pictures of the entire family.

I am totally intrigued by genetics. I'll have to look up more information about this when I have the time. :) Thank you for sharing! :)

And now maybe, just maybe, I'll be forced to let go of my decade-long Growing Pains grudge.

P.S. I just read Magenta's post.. WOW!!!

So many amazing stories out there... Wish I had time to research them all.

Chicks!! It's so good to see you back!! Hugs. :)

Last edited:
W

wwjd_kilden

The sexy female always ends up with the handsome hero.

What about a plain, normal hero? Or a plain, normal female?

Or both of them "hot", but not ending up together?

Nah, Hollywood would explode

Z

Zi

If there were a way to get them without sounding like I lost my mind... Lol...
This is REALLY fascinating, Zi. Man, I wish I could see pictures of the entire family.

I am totally intrigued by genetics. I'll have to look up more information about this when I have the time. :) Thank you for sharing! :)

And now maybe, just maybe, I'll be forced to let go of my decade-long Growing Pains grudge.

P.S. I just read Magenta's post.. WOW!!!

So many amazing stories out there... Wish I had time to research them all.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
The sexy female always ends up with the handsome hero.

What about a plain, normal hero? Or a plain, normal female?

Or both of them "hot", but not ending up together?

Nah, Hollywood would explode
No Quasimodo + Esmeralda together on this side of Hollywood.

Even when the story really is a fairytale (and Disney, at that.) :(

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Thank you Kim. I hope it is not tmi to mention also that he remembers how his mom had to stick her finger in his mouth when he fed, to stop the milk from flowing into his open palette (before the operation) and choking him.

So many TV shows are over the top in some way, trying to get and hold our attention. I was listening to the radio one day when they were talking about the old Smothers' Brothers show, and how it was one of the very first to experience censorship as a way of controlling content to keep the advertisers happy. And yet when you think about it, some standard has always been being promoted, and it seems obvious too, that we as a society have crossed that line many times over in the intervening years. As Christians, it is so easy to see how the dramatization of sin is the driving force of our entertainment industry. We are such lookie loos!

When I gave up TV in my early thirties, I did not miss it because so much of what was on television seemed so unrealistic to me. Then seventeen years later I bought a tellie for my 50th, and had to get used to the new digital era we had entered, for things had really changed. It took some getting used to shows like Alias, that were so much fun even though completely unrealistic in how the world was being saved from imminent destruction always at the very last possible second. Blind Spot was like that too, always the race against time setting the scene for suspense, but the formula gets tiresome after a while.

How lovely in comparison, or standing on the strength of their own beauty, the portrayals of life in seemingly simpler times as depicted by such authors as Jane Austen and Julian Fellowes :)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I also have to add that I get a bit annoyed by female actions stars whose are so thin that they look as if they could never hold up the weapons they're supposedly brandishing, especially when they're supposedly packing heat from every direction.

I dig Milla Jovovich, Angelina Jolie, Charlize Theron, Gal Gadot, and the up and coming Ruby Rose, but they're all so skinny that it's hard to believe they could actually carry one weapon, let alone 2 (or 8), while flipping a motorcycle and knocking down 4 grown men at a time.

Henceforth, all hail Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2.

At least she really worked on looking like a real baddie. <3

Z

Zi

How hard is it to remember from scene to scene what color coffee mug they had or if their hair was up? Look back over them... Want under my skin? That works every time

Y

Yahweh_is_gracious

In TV and movies, subverting a very secure computer system takes only a few seconds. Characters can hack the Pentagon in a matter of seconds.

Monkey Muffins!

I understand though. Showing it realistically wouldn't be "fun" or "exciting". I mean, who wants to watch some fat, unshowered, neckbeard slug bladder-buster after bladder-buster of Mountain Dew while he pours through tens of thousands of lines of source code to try and find an exploit he can use to try and find a back-door into a system.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
In TV and movies, subverting a very secure computer system takes only a few seconds. Characters can hack the Pentagon in a matter of seconds.

Monkey Muffins!

I understand though. Showing it realistically wouldn't be "fun" or "exciting". I mean, who wants to watch some fat, unshowered, neckbeard slug bladder-buster after bladder-buster of Mountain Dew while he pours through tens of thousands of lines of source code to try and find an exploit he can use to try and find a back-door into a system.

I had to give this a "like"... Just for the Monkey Muffins.

Lol! :p

Jun 24, 2017
Guns. The gun is NEVER loaded. Been shooting guys like crazy? Stop for the "lets do this" conversation? Gun needs to be cocked again for some reason and no shells come out. The safeties are never on. People who are professionals with guns never use proper trigger control. Some guns don't even sound like they are supposed to. Shooting 30 rounds before needing to be reloaded. People using things like wooden tables and metal 50 gallon barrels successfully for cover. People who have no experience with a handgun picking one up and using it effectively.

Also, romance in chick flicks. Person gets on a plane at last minute to chase after their true love when earlier it was said that they didn't even have a passport. Guy stands outside a window at night possibly in the rain playing music and this is "romantic." That gets you arrested in real life. Person A lets person B go to another relationship because they really love them and want them to be happy and by the end of the movie they are back together. Two people who have known each other less than a month or a week or an hour and all of the sudden they are star crossed lovers. The source of tension in almost all romantic comedies is that the guy is great except he does one really stupid thing and the end of the movie is when they finally make up over it.

I could go on...

W

wwjd_kilden

Guns. The gun is NEVER loaded. Been shooting guys like crazy? Stop for the "lets do this" conversation? Gun needs to be cocked again for some reason and no shells come out. The safeties are never on. People who are professionals with guns never use proper trigger control. Some guns don't even sound like they are supposed to. Shooting 30 rounds before needing to be reloaded. People using things like wooden tables and metal 50 gallon barrels successfully for cover. People who have no experience with a handgun picking one up and using it effectively.
Yeah... even old- fashioned sword wielders like me who never saw a real gun irl see that half of that move stuff is too fake

Jun 24, 2017
Yeah... even old- fashioned sword wielders like me who never saw a real gun irl see that half of that move stuff is too fake
Oh so then, swords worn on the back that are to long to ever possibly draw in any normal or speedy fashion?