Phobias

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Depleted

I am afraid of being afraid...

#ohno!!

Did you know phobophobia is a real thing. That's why panic attacks are so terrifying to some people. They fear the very feeling of fear, instead of a cause for it so it circles them and cages them in the very thing they fear the most.

WineRose

Jan 3, 2017
Row A, Column 9
Often, I am quite cool, carefree, and relaxed towards others, almost to the point that this makes me look aloof.

...But you know the one single thing that can completely break my calm, cool composure in a split second and turn me into a banshee for the next 5 minutes?

A live, big ol' cockroach.

J

joefizz

Often, I am quite cool, carefree, and relaxed towards others, almost to the point that this makes me look aloof.

...But you know the one single thing that can completely break my calm, cool composure in a split second and turn me into a banshee for the next 5 minutes?

I totally understand that here in Tennessee we have the smallish kind and if one crawls on you it feels horrible and creepy!

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I am afraid of being afraid...
I was just noticing your signature (I usually pay no attention to them). I can't help but wonder if Spurgeon and Booth knew just how prophetic their statements were.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Im afraid of hights and spiders. I try to face em when i can. Once i went up a 40meters tall crane for windowcleaners.. it was scary but i felt better afterwards

D

Depleted

Doesn't have to be big or old for me. lol

D

Depleted

I was just noticing your signature (I usually pay no attention to them). I can't help but wonder if Spurgeon and Booth knew just how prophetic their statements were.
Francis Schaeffer was a Christian philosopher who wrote a series of books in the 1960s. Hubby read them in the 1980s. They were already true. It just keeps getting more ridiculous decade by decade.

I saw what was happening with abortions in the 1970s, and said, "there will come a day, using this same lack of knowledge, where homosexuals will be able to get married in this country."

Now I see the next step is coming. Pedophiles will be accepted. (Gender-neutral bathrooms was first step.)

We can see what will happen based on what has happened in history (especially from the history in the Bible.) We can predict the next steps. I'm not so sure that is prophecy or simply observation.

D

Depleted

Im afraid of hights and spiders. I try to face em when i can. Once i went up a 40meters tall crane for windowcleaners.. it was scary but i felt better afterwards
I feel better afterward too, but I call it "relief." lol

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I feel better afterward too, but I call it "relief." lol
Once mom found a really big wolf spider and of course as there was no man around she got me. I thought she needed my help carrying something upstairs when she called me...well when i came in she moved a blanket aside that was dried, the huge spider came out and mom ran, hid behind me saying “demi do something“ and I went “nope mom u can deal with that one urself.
We ran out of the laundry/bathroom and locked the door and didnt go in for DAYS. Havent seen the spider since but both of us alwaya go in with caution now lol eventho over a year passed

D

Depleted

Once mom found a really big wolf spider and of course as there was no man around she got me. I thought she needed my help carrying something upstairs when she called me...well when i came in she moved a blanket aside that was dried, the huge spider came out and mom ran, hid behind me saying “demi do something“ and I went “nope mom u can deal with that one urself.
We ran out of the laundry/bathroom and locked the door and didnt go in for DAYS. Havent seen the spider since but both of us alwaya go in with caution now lol eventho over a year passed
I wouldn't have had time to answer Mom before I was out the door. lol

Years ago, I was sleeping in bed, and I heard scurryscurry noises in my false ceiling. I'm from the suburbs and lived in the country before I moved into the city, so my mind instantly thought "raccoons?" "Opossums?"

But I live in the city, so couldn't be that. (BTW, by the time, I thought that out -- about a nanosecond of time, I was already down here in the living room.) Second floor, so I couldn't think rat, because they prefer ground level or lower.

Decided it was squirrels. Not a squirrel, but many squirrels. And false ceiling, (fiberglass insulation with a thin veneer on one side), so they could come crashing through any moment. I slept on the chair that night.

The only thing that got me in that room again was I'm not good sleeping sitting up. Nap? Sure, but not a night's sleep.

Never heard those squirrels again. BUT, about a year later, I heard the same sound in the false ceiling in our living room. Big difference between hearing that when you're asleep in a nice comfy bed in the middle of the night versus hearing it wide awake in the living room. I could think it out better. Mice!

(Slightly smaller than a squirrel, huh? lol)

We live in a rowhome, so our house is attached to our neighbors' houses, and there are 25 attached houses on just our side of the street. Critters can get through the walls. (Neighbor was having construction work done and a silverfish the size of my thumb was crawling on my wall. Several years later, and that wall still has a huge oil stain from the half can of Raid I sprayed it with. lol)

Ends up, three-doors-down was unoccupied for a couple of years, so the mice moved in. And then when it sold, they felt the need to relocated. The first ten years in this house, never a mouse. Now we kill (electronic traps) about 10 a winter.

I think they have the Mousy Olympics in our ceiling. Either that or a miniature Battle of the Bulge. Still beats raccoons, opossums or squirrels in the ceiling.

(They're so cute, I'd let them stay, if I could potty train them and keep them away from our grains. lol)

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
heights, falling, snakes, and what ever unknown creatures are in the deep. ok so that last one is less of a phobia and more of a curious, respectful fear.
And yes fear of falling is real.

Aug 25, 2018
I have a few phobias.. Public speaking, tight, enclosed spaces and heights. Although, I have no problem riding a roller coaster. And I don't mind going upstairs.. It's the going down part that terrifies me. I'm so clumsy, just going down stairs, I get this image of myself face planting at the bottom of the stairs. :eek:

Sep 13, 2015
I have scoleciphobia, which is a fear of worms. Literally any other creepy crawler I can handle, but worms give me straight up panic attacks. I can barely even handle pictures of worms.

Whenever I see people pick up worms, I'm like....what sorcery is this.

Aug 2, 2009
I have scoleciphobia, which is a fear of worms. Literally any other creepy crawler I can handle, but worms give me straight up panic attacks. I can barely even handle pictures of worms.

Whenever I see people pick up worms, I'm like....what sorcery is this.
My singing buddy!! :love: Hi!!! :D:D:D

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
Snakes, they're evil creatures.
I use to keep snakes and lizards as pets when I was young so I got use to handling them etc. Where I currently live I see snakes fequently. These are harmless and I go out of my way to protect them because they eat bugs and slugs in my garden. But I know people who jump out of their socks if they see any kind of snake. Sometimes this is because they came from regions where there were so many dangerous and poisonous snakes that they always get scared.

Aug 30, 2018
As I write this, the Eagles (ahem SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS ::coughcough::) are headed to out Art Museum as the end of a huge parade.

I live two blocks from parade route. I'm a huge fan. (Betcha couldn't tell, but I am.) I also over did the last couple of days, so couldn't go. BUT as I look at the crowds, I realize I couldn't go anyway. I have a strange case of claustrophobic. It's not sticking me in a closet that would do me in. Not even sticking me in a trunk that would do me i. (And stop enjoying that image of me in a trunk.) It's crowds! I feel panicky in huge crowds. Matter of fact, even watching it on TV has me a little bit hyper. (Not enough to not watch, but I feel like I've done 3-4 cans of Red Bull.)

My other phobia is creatures with more than 4 legs. (Includes bugs, spiders and centipedes/millipedes.)

So, make me feel better. What are your phobias?

I'll be happy to shoo away a clown for you, if you could shoo away a crowd for me. lol
That's at least 2 of us then, I've always hated crowds and being confined, even at church I much prefer to sit with my wife alone.