Plans for being a grown up

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Depleted

The "When I was little" thread got me to thinking of some of the air-brained plans I had when I was little too.

Just wondering if others had such huge plans too.

When I was little, we had to eat everything on our plates. Sometimes I didn't want to, so had to come up with reasons to do it anyway. I made plans.

I really wanted to fly, when I was little. (Still do, just gave up on thinking I can do it without a machine to aid me.) So, I was the one who got all the chicken wings. I figured if I ate enough, I'd be able to fly.

I also loved watching fish swim underwater. (A big thing when you fish, but can't catch anything. Just imagine them in their natural environment.) We were Catholic so ate fish every Friday night. In the winter time, (because Dad couldn't fish for bass or pickerel legally then), we usually had smelt. Smelt is a small enough fish that you can eat the bones and tail too. I started eating the tails thinking I could grow webbed feet.

Did you have any plans on how to get what you wanted by the time you grew up?

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
I wanted to be king. In fact, I considered myself King *insert name here*. I was fully aware that Kings are male but they had all the power and respect and I wanted that. Now, I am FAR from it. LOL and I have learned a few lessons in humility. Now, I'm a Stay at home mom who wishes she could homestead.

No other ambitions, just wanted to be King. Now, I know the King. and I don't want his job.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmmm... plans for being a grown up. Reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes comic.

To set the scene, Calvin and family returned from vacation to find their house had been robbed. That night, Calvin's parents are having a hard time sleeping.

Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson for May 10, 1989 | Read Comic Strips at GoComics.com

The last line is something I quote a lot. "I don't think I'd have been in such a hurry to reach adulthood if I'd known the whole thing was going to be ad-libbed."

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014
I had alot of plans for my adult life growing up, but I never actually planned for a career. Never knew what I wanted to do. Im almost thirty now and I still dont. My plans for adult life were never about work, I was just gonna find a way to do all the things I wanted to do, haha.

Some of the things I hoped for as a child are still things I hope for now. I always wanted a nice home out in the country with a big porch and a dog. I still want that.

Some of the things I wanted or hoped to do have been done. Ive always loved music, and wanted to write my own music and joim a band and all that. Ive done those things.

Some of the things I wantes, I no longer want. Some of them are because I came to Christ 4 years ago. Some are also just a change of perspective. Like, I used to be obsessed with the idea of like falling in love with someone and being a couple and all that. But these days, while its still a nice idea and something I wouldnt oppose happening, its not such a focus like it was before Christ.

As for anything "big" said by the OP, I cant think of a whole lot outside of one thing Im not gonna mention here. My dreams of music may have been grand when I was young, but I never had ang plans on how to do it, haha.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"So many things I thought would bring me happiness
Some dreams that are realities today
Such an irony, the things that mean the most to me
Are the memories that I made along the way"
~Lauren Talley

Lizzy

Jan 18, 2018
I wanted to be king. In fact, I considered myself King *insert name here*. I was fully aware that Kings are male but they had all the power and respect and I wanted that. Now, I am FAR from it. LOL and I have learned a few lessons in humility. Now, I'm a Stay at home mom who wishes she could homestead.

No other ambitions, just wanted to be King. Now, I know the King. and I don't want his job.
Growing up I knew I always wanted to be around horses. Cleaning stalls at 12 just to ride for free. So I have always somehow had horses in my life, past 20 yrs fostering them. When I'm with them or on a trail, I'm in my element. Talking to God and them hanging on my every word. But I think the majority was what I DIDN'T want to be. I grew up in a huge family. 6 older sisters and six brothers. I was the one at home watching the action from the sidelines. I watched my siblings rebel thru all the teenage years, trying to be part of certain groups, friends, party-people, cheerleaders OR pom-pom girls or anyone other than myself. I did tell God in 2nd grade I wanted to know who He was. He kept me in one piece till I was ready to honor Him w open arms. So I have really no idea if there was a 'plan' except eventually finding Him. Good plan??????

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I had pretty realistic goals as a kid. If anything they've gotten more grandiose as I've grown up.

Except that one time I tried to make my own religion from scratch.

T

Tinuviel

At one time, I wanted to do backyard breeding of dogs. I don't know how realistic or unrealistic that is, but the way I was thinking of doing it was NOT lol.

For the most part though, I--think?--I had/have fairly realistic ideas...except maybe the fact that I've always wanted to be married. Considering the low population of reformed single men in this neck of the woods maybe that isn't realistic ;).

And I'm feeling younger and younger as I write this; I really have no idea which dreams are unrealistic :p

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I'd imagine conservative Lutheran boys are really common. Those are close enough, silly goose. :p

At one time, I wanted to do backyard breeding of dogs. I don't know how realistic or unrealistic that is, but the way I was thinking of doing it was NOT lol.

For the most part though, I--think?--I had/have fairly realistic ideas...except maybe the fact that I've always wanted to be married. Considering the low population of reformed single men in this neck of the woods maybe that isn't realistic ;).

And I'm feeling younger and younger as I write this; I really have no idea which dreams are unrealistic :p

SovereignGrace

Dec 28, 2016
I want to be a toy r us kid when I grow up.

HUF...it’s spunty, not sparky. You need to remember this. But at fifty, the memory ebbs.

Spunt = 1/25th spark

D

Depleted

You not marrying them all -- just one. AND, if he's not there, wait. Hell show up.

T

Tinuviel

I'd imagine conservative Lutheran boys are really common. Those are close enough, silly goose. :p
Hah. Or Catholic! Thank you so much for the advice...lol

T

Tinuviel

You not marrying them all -- just one. AND, if he's not there, wait. Hell show up.
That's what I'm afraid of :rolleyes:. AND, because I am reformed, I happen to believe in God's providence, so there! lol

T

Tinuviel

You expect her to marry Satan?

#He’ll?
You may have beat me but mine was funnier ;). (I've made a similar typo before. Except mine was at the beginning of an email. The word was missing an o. And it was followed by the name of one of my nice Christian friends. And that was followed by an exclamation point. That person is no longer friends with me. I don't know how much that played into it :p).

T

Tinuviel

Creepy anonymous repper, show thyself! I'll hold the information for blackmail against thee always...this has turned into one strange thread.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Growing up I knew I always wanted to be around horses. Cleaning stalls at 12 just to ride for free. So I have always somehow had horses in my life, past 20 yrs fostering them. When I'm with them or on a trail, I'm in my element. Talking to God and them hanging on my every word. But I think the majority was what I DIDN'T want to be. I grew up in a huge family. 6 older sisters and six brothers. I was the one at home watching the action from the sidelines. I watched my siblings rebel thru all the teenage years, trying to be part of certain groups, friends, party-people, cheerleaders OR pom-pom girls or anyone other than myself. I did tell God in 2nd grade I wanted to know who He was. He kept me in one piece till I was ready to honor Him w open arms. So I have really no idea if there was a 'plan' except eventually finding Him. Good plan������
Yay for learning from other people's experience!

I figured out long ago that other people are going to make mistakes, nothing I can do to stop them, so I might as well learn from them. It never shows me the right way, but I know a lot of things to NOT do now.

Or in the words of somebody wiser than I: "Learn from the mistakes of others. You'll never have enough time in one life to make all the mistakes yourself."

D

Depleted

Yay for learning from other people's experience!

I figured out long ago that other people are going to make mistakes, nothing I can do to stop them, so I might as well learn from them. It never shows me the right way, but I know a lot of things to NOT do now.

Or in the words of somebody wiser than I: "Learn from the mistakes of others. You'll never have enough time in one life to make all the mistakes yourself."
Ha! I think my life proves you sure can learn from a whole lot of mistakes you made in one life. (Anything I've ever planned didn't work out like expected. The things unplanned worked out wonderfully though.)