(POLL) What Is Christmas?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What is Christmas?

• A time to be merry and give

• A time where companies make most their sales

• A time to believe in Santa Clause

• The day Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem

• It is a Pagan holiday

• It's a mixture of things above

• It is what you make it

• I don't know

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Just another pagan holiday that had to do with murder of babies and nothing with our Lord

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
The bible should’ve said what month and year maybe its in the book of a prophet if you look closely.

Aug 12, 2013
The bible should’ve said what month and year maybe its in the book of a prophet if you look closely.
I think, I don't know, but I don't think the Lord cared for us to celebrate his birth. but he did tell us to remember and celebrate his death. It doesn't mean his birth wasn't important, but Christians who claim Christmas is about just his birth, they don't care much about Easter or the time of the death of Jesus. they don't decorate, buy gifts, party and meet for that day. some may but not anywhere compared to Christmas. What made me confused as a kid, is if it is a Christian thing about Jesus and those who hate Jesus and God celebrate it, then why? And what is the purpose of a tree with some random things on it and some fat guy who never likes to change his outfit who should be dead by now unless he is immortal and all these elves, deers and such? So I looked into it, and found it all originated from Pagan things. We've twisted that trying to stick Christ in there, and others have tried to twist it as well for self pleasure and keep Christ out.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
That fat guy Santa is gonna get it one day lol

Aug 12, 2013
That fat guy Santa is gonna get it one day lol
Wait, you mean... he IS real!?

I have a sad story about telling someone Santa was real if you'd like to hear it

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Well i think he’s the devil himself. But what’s the story?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
The day is not completely certain but it should have been about around the 23rd of august

Aug 12, 2013
Well i think he’s the devil himself. But what’s the story?
Well, many years ago, (on a dark and snowy night), my family was having a Christmas party when my cousin and I were both very little boys. And I mean about me 7 and him 5. They were his parents, and they claim to be Christians and they even teach a multitude of children from their chapel/church of thousands of people. They throw Christmas plays every year for decades.

Well, I never EVER fell for the Santa clause junk though people tried to convince me and I hated going to Christmas parks. Then I always found other kids around my age saying Santa is real and why they need to be good and such. I told them Santa wasn't real. Barely anyone believed me until their parents told them. I told my cousin he wasn't real over and over for couple years. He was so upset with me, that he yelled as loud as I had ever seen him in his life "I know Santa is real!" I asked "how can you be so sure?" He said "Because my parents tell me that!" I kind of laughed and said "They're lying to you." He said "My parents would NEVER lie to me!" Then I asked him, "Have I ever lied to you?" He answered no. Then I saw his parents over across the end of the room by the kitchen, they asked him to follow his parents to another room. A few minutes later, they came back out and he had a frown on his face. I asked him "What's wrong? did you get spanked for yelling?" He said "Santa isn't real..." I said "So who are you going to believe next time? Me or your parents who lied to you?"

Cruel, but I wasn't saved. That shows me, I don't want my little kids becoming sad like that from me telling them lies. It isn't worth all the fake fun to me. It's simple stupidity in a lie.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
Well, many years ago, (on a dark and snowy night), my family was having a Christmas party when my cousin and I were both very little boys. And I mean about me 7 and him 5. They were his parents, and they claim to be Christians and they even teach a multitude of children from their chapel/church of thousands of people. They throw Christmas plays every year for decades.

Well, I never EVER fell for the Santa clause junk though people tried to convince me and I hated going to Christmas parks. Then I always found other kids around my age saying Santa is real and why they need to be good and such. I told them Santa wasn't real. Barely anyone believed me until their parents told them. I told my cousin he wasn't real over and over for couple years. He was so upset with me, that he yelled as loud as I had ever seen him in his life "I know Santa is real!" I asked "how can you be so sure?" He said "Because my parents tell me that!" I kind of laughed and said "They're lying to you." He said "My parents would NEVER lie to me!" Then I asked him, "Have I ever lied to you?" He answered no. Then I saw his parents over across the end of the room by the kitchen, they asked him to follow his parents to another room. A few minutes later, they came back out and he had a frown on his face. I asked him "What's wrong? did you get spanked for yelling?" He said "Santa isn't real..." I said "So who are you going to believe next time? Me or your parents who lied to you?"

Cruel, but I wasn't saved. That shows me, I don't want my little kids becoming sad like that from me telling them lies. It isn't worth all the fake fun to me. It's simple stupidity in a lie.

Ohh. I see. Well you weren’t saved so that explains it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Sure... the one correct answer is absent: the time when Christians commemorate the incarnation of our Saviour.

Aug 12, 2013
Ohh. I see. Well you weren’t saved so that explains it.
Yeah, back then I was just a kid living with abusive, drug addict parents and no school or house work. God was never talked about until I visited my grandmother, which is where my cousin and their parents were.

Aug 12, 2013
Sure... the one correct answer is absent: the time when Christians commemorate the incarnation of our Saviour.
No, that would fit into other. Just because it can be labeled as other doesn't mean it isn't the correct answer. I just posted the most popular ways people describe Christmas around me and on media that I see.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
That's exactly what I think as I celebrate His birth with Christmas carols, on low 24/7, and of course Hallmark Christmas movies. I have a manger scene and signs re Jesus' birth that the school kids that have to walk by see as well as lots of traffic. God knows our hearts.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I think, I don't know, but I don't think the Lord cared for us to celebrate his birth. but he did tell us to remember and celebrate his death. It doesn't mean his birth wasn't important, but Christians who claim Christmas is about just his birth, they don't care much about Easter or the time of the death of Jesus. they don't decorate, buy gifts, party and meet for that day. some may but not anywhere compared to Christmas. What made me confused as a kid, is if it is a Christian thing about Jesus and those who hate Jesus and God celebrate it, then why? And what is the purpose of a tree with some random things on it and some fat guy who never likes to change his outfit who should be dead by now unless he is immortal and all these elves, deers and such? So I looked into it, and found it all originated from Pagan things. We've twisted that trying to stick Christ in there, and others have tried to twist it as well for self pleasure and keep Christ out.
Some other things of Pagan origins...
Names of the days of the week
Wedding rings
Most of what we see in a wedding ceremony
Soulmates
Easter
Just to name a few...

And this is the center issue i take with those eager to rant against Christmas. Your life is filled with things of pagan origin, but when those other areas are brought into question the ranters suddenly become silent. It's easy to play that role when you think you're being spiritual and evading something easy, but when it requires you to, daily, change your entire life around, and there's no one to hear you make a big deal about it, suddenly these 'pagan origins' aren't so important. I've yet to see a Single, Solitary 'anti-Christmas' ranter even Attempt to live their life by removing 100% of 'pagan origin' areas in their life. Why? Because it's a full lifestyle change that's that's personal and requires genuine sacrifice and not a public display of your own spiritual enlightenment with no real sacrifice.
Until the day i meet someone who makes a genuine effort to discover and remove every daily pagan influence then all i hear is people eager for attention.

M

Miri

Sigh......

Wouldn’t it just be nice if we as Christians, could say.

To me Christmas is the celebration of the most important
person in this world, past, present and future.

It’s a celebration of the saviour of the world and there is no other way be
which a person can be saved.

We don’t know the day of Jesus’ birth but I do know that God is big on
rememberance services and holidays. The Old Testement is full of them.
It was Gods way of making sure people remembered and abided in Him.

For Christians we have the communion, Easter and also Christmas as our
remembrance times, equivelant to remembering His birth, His death and
His resurrection.

I joyfully take part in all of them. If as Christians we can’t even be bothered to
take part in and remember these vitally important events and/or we spend waste
time instead coming up with excuses as to why not. Then how on earth can we
even call ourselves Christians, if we do not even know what Christmas is really a
celebration of. What a terrible witness this is to the world!

Honestly with each passing week I wonder why I even come on here any more.
It’s suppose to be Christian Chat. Yet more and more it’s becoming why bother
about Christ Chat. Or even Pagan Chat.

That’s no reflection on Robop or at all, it’s a reflection on the quality of many so called
Christians on this site. Thankfully there are those who are truley born again who
make this site worth it.

But you know what, wouldn’t it be nice if everyone else could stop pretending to
be a Christian and really get serious with God, really look at what it means to be a
Christian. Instead of moaning and arguing about petty issues such as
“O I don’t celebrate Christians as I don’t know when Jesus was born”

Are people really so spiritually blind

M

Miri

Jesus made such an impact on this world, that we measure time in accordance with
His time on earth BC and AD. He made such an impact that the entire world celebrates
Christmas. Even if they do not believe they cannot escape the annual testimony and witness
to the birth of Christ. They will have no excuse for saying they did not know, when they
stand before God.

Christmas is also a time when people who don’t normally go to church, do go.
It’s an important celebration even if people don’t realise or understand it.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I have wonderful memories of Christmas, growing up. Plus, I also got to celebrate Orthodox, or Ukrainian Christmas 13 days later, with my father's family, including most of my cousins. (Now 14 days later!) So double the fun.

I also saw the difference between a non religious Christmas and a religious one. Mainly my grandmother saying a 10 minute grace in a language I didn't understand, that usually ended with her weeping, and me almost passing out from hunger and all the delicious smells.

Later, when I came to realize my need for God, besides my new Bible, I bought a Christmas Carol book, with music and lyrics to all the popular carols. Then, I went to Midnight Mass a few times with Catholic relatives and friends. The piety fascinated me.

After I got saved, it became even more important to me. As a music teacher, I taught my students carols and put on an annual Christmas concert. I lived in a very multi-cultural school district, I always explained the words, like manger and angels and then, a children's Bible story about the Incarnation with pictures. I pray seeds were planted, that grew to faith by the power of the Holy Spirit!

Besides, who couldn't like a season where songs with lyrics like "Hark the herald angels sing, glory to the newborn king" or "Joy the the world, the Lord is come!" played in malls everywhere!?

Oh right, the self righteous people who somehow think that celebrating Christmas is not a good outreach principle! Not! When I played in a 60 piece orchestra, with a 100 voice choir, live animals and drama, to a seasonal audience of 10,000 people, I watched literally 100s of people get saved every Christmas!

Just remember, Jesus is the reason for the season and you won't have any more issues with Christmas!