Prayer by rote

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

WIbaptist

Is prayer by rote commanded by Jesus it anywhere in the Bible? Do we just mindlessly repeat the Lord’s Prayer? Or is a framework to guide our prayers? It has never been repeated by a single person in the Bible after Jesus taught it to the disciples.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
How did Jesus pray? Not by rote but from the heart. Jesus sweat as it were great drops of blood when He prayed for us.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

W

WIbaptist

I never claimed Jesus prayed by rote. But many hold to saying the Lord’s Prayer and have several prescribed prayers that they adhere to.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Did not say that you did. Many here hold to lots of unbiblical practices. Affirm the truth and let those who cannot receive it deal with the consequences.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
I love the Our Father prayer! Jesus said "pray like this" so I see NO HARM in repeating that prayer, atleast you are guaranteed to nail it every time!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Jesus was teaching his disciples, maybe they had to pray it a few times for it to sink in how to pray and what to pray as they may have never prayed before.

For those new to the Lord..and I remember before I knew Him never having prayed before in my life. That He teaches us HOW to pray is great. I mean when faced with the almighty God how do you address Him?

The Lords prayer shows us just what our God can do.

Many people treat God as a genie, I had been in some prayer groups where people prayed all sorts of things for themselves. Give me this and that. GOd I want a house, car, husband, child, money etc. I was thinking..huh..is God an atm for thats how you are treating Him.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think maybe its a a prayer everyone knows so when praying together well you cant go wrong.
Maybe those that pray by rote just arent yet confident praying.

I dont see any harm in praying prayers that others have prayed before in the Bible..book of psalms is full of heartfelt prayers. See psalm 17 and 90

Of course we can talk to God at anytime about our cares and concerns.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Praying by rote can be living and picturing the words of even Jesus, and opens the heart to God. That is very different from mindlessly repeating words.

David in the Psalms taught using the mind in Christian meditation, something we all should learn. Using prayers that were written by saints can be a guide to David's kind of meditation.

W

WIbaptist

I love the Our Father prayer! Jesus said "pray like this" so I see NO HARM in repeating that prayer, atleast you are guaranteed to nail it every time!
Is it really nailing it every time if we haven’t grown past needing milk?

W

WIbaptist

Is it really nailing it every time if we haven’t grown past needing milk?
I should add that I do pray the prayer in sections pausing to expand on each one. It’s when the prayer is equated to the specific words vs the intent.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The Lords prayer shows us just what our God can do.
Christ gave us a shortened version of a prayer composed by the counsel that convened at the time the Hebrews returned from Babylon. The original prayer is not in scripture, but it has been preserved. It is a wonderful prayer that expands on what Christ taught us.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Is prayer by rote commanded by Jesus it anywhere in the Bible? Do we just mindlessly repeat the Lord’s Prayer? Or is a framework to guide our prayers? It has never been repeated by a single person in the Bible after Jesus taught it to the disciples.
Hi WIbapist,

I believe it's a model.

Literal vs symbolic scripture's:

Here ALL literal
Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; & every eye shall see him, & they also which pierced him: & all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen

Here symbolic
Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
(NOTE: NOT wool or snow or a flame. BUT: "like wool" "as snow" "as a flame". Pay close attention, CONTEXT is always KEY.

Matt 6:7 Jesus say's: when ye pray, use not vain repetitions
(NOTE Don't use vain repetitions)

Matt 6: Jesus say's: After this manner
(NOTE: After this manner or pray like this - NOT PRAY THIS

The Lords prayer provides great insight
9 Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
(NOTE: To whom we address our prayers)

10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
(NOTE: What is most important, in heaven or on earth = "God's will")

11 Give us this day our daily bread.
(NOTE: Real edible food; sure. More importantly - SPIRITUAL FOOD)

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
(NOTE: Ask forgiveness, however, to receive it. WE MUST ALSO FORGIVE)

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
(NOTE: The acknowledgement of just who: IS IN CHARGE & WHO EVERYTHING TRULY BELONGS TO)

Final prayer thought, it isn't our great words that God is looking for. It's an honest, true heart that's seeking HIS WILL that matters)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Jesus said pray in this fashion not pray this prayer. Vain repetition remains vain repetition.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Jesus said pray in this fashion not pray this prayer. Vain repetition remains vain repetition.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
We are never to pray superficially as in vain repletion, but some prayers can be repeated day after day but not be vain repletion but expressions of sincere speaking with the Lord.

Often prayer is simply listening and feeling God within.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I believe most who pray the prayer taught by dour Savior know and mean what they are saying.

When I pray this prayer I begin confessing I pray this prayer to honor Jesus, Yeshuia. Then I pray each line with understanding and personal intention. Perhaps many recit it rote, but not those who are in the Holy Spirit.

Here in Skpain I used to watch a lot of "soccer," and once when Sevilla was playing in Sevilla, the spectators recited the Our Father prayer out loud I was on the point of being offended knowing the many types of people saying it. Anyone can recit the Our Fadther, but again, I was upset.

Befofre the game was over one youg player dropped dead. I have not heard this being prayed agains since. Sorry, I should say recited.

P

pottersclay

“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. In this manner, therefore, pray:

Heres how and here's how not.

Jesus ends his answer " in this manner" a manner is a learned discipline. Although we all have at one time or another recited what is called the Lord's prayer this is not a dunk shot prayer but instruction on what it should contain.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
In a relationship, if I kept repeating the same words over and over again.................I don't think there would be any intimacy, growth or joy...........God may say something twice to establish it but, that's about it.

I say yes, the Lord's Prayer is a framework to guide our prayers.

In the Lord's Prayer, Jesus was showing us that His Father in Heaven is also our Father and we are to pray to the Father, acknowledge His holiness and highly esteem Him;

pray for people and things to be done according to the Father's Will and His Kingdom which is in Heaven and on Earth;

ask for food (physical and spiritual) which acknowledges our dependency on the Father for substance;

ask Him for forgiveness and understand that God requires us to forgive each other, too;

to help us overcome and resist the temptations of the flesh;

acknowledge that He delivers us from evil and we need to ask for His help;

acknowledge that it is ALL about the Father - His Kingdom, His Power and His Glory

Jesus came to the Earth to restore and reconcile us back to the Father in Heaven. It's ALL about our wonderful Father and His Gift to us His Son and His Spirit.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

Matthew 6:9 This, then, is how you should pray: ‘Our Father in heaven: May your holy name be honored;

Jesus did give it as a framework to guide us.

Whenever, I say the Lord's prayer my mind is engaged.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Muslims ask what is the purpose of asking for forgiveness of sins as we forgive others in praying the Lord's prayer when it is only through the blood of Jesus that we can be forgiven?

7seasrekeyed

Muslims ask what is the purpose of asking for forgiveness of sins as we forgive others in praying the Lord's prayer when it is only through the blood of Jesus that we can be forgiven?
and you are kick starting the thread with the above because?