Prayers for the past...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Can you pray for people in the past?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not sure...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Apr 21, 2019
Hello you all,

I heard this idea a couple weeks ago and found it fascinating.

Some of you maybe more aware of it then others, but I will outline my understanding of the story...
A Monk of praying in a monastery when his brethren that he was mentoring approached him and asked him what he was praying about. Which he replied that he was praying for someone in the past. Which those under his mentorship were confused about. He went on to explain that since God is present in all points in history at all times, that he could pray for someone or an event in the past and God would take his prayers into consideration. This makes sense, since if we can pray for the present and the future, that there should be no reason why we can't pray that God will give people of the past strength.

Any comments welcome.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Certainly you can pray about events in the past; repentance actually requires it, as does forgiveness, as do many aspects of psychological and emotional health.

Can your prayers change things that have happened in the past? No. There is absolutely no evidence in Scripture to support that idea.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I heard about this a long time ago. Back in my Pentecostal days, which I ended up running from fast.
At the time it made sense, as a newer believer. Now as I have a better understanding it seems backwards.
The bible seems to focus on moving forward. Why would praying about things that already happened be encouraged?
Also if you take the thought further it becomes convoluted and does, and also does in fact, suggest that we can change the past.
It seems to me a book focused on the future, moving forward, growth, overcoming your past, making things new, etc... isn't really trying to send a message to pray about what's already happened.
It seems greater wisdom to learn from the past rather than try to change it.

Apr 21, 2019
I heard about this a long time ago. Back in my Pentecostal days, which I ended up running from fast.
At the time it made sense, as a newer believer. Now as I have a better understanding it seems backwards.
The bible seems to focus on moving forward. Why would praying about things that already happened be encouraged?
Also if you take the thought further it becomes convoluted and does, and also does in fact, suggest that we can change the past.
It seems to me a book focused on the future, moving forward, growth, overcoming your past, making things new, etc... isn't really trying to send a message to pray about what's already happened.
It seems greater wisdom to learn from the past rather than try to change it.
Is it wrong, or not useful. There is nowhere in the Bible does it says we shouldn't do it, nor we should do it. If this is the case, it would come down to two different criteria I have personally laid out for practicing things that are not explicitly commanded of us in the Bible. First, is the Bible against it? in this case, it seems the answer is no, and secondly, is it edifying to us and our souls, in this case, you would argue no it would not edify your soul?

Apr 21, 2019
Certainly you can pray about events in the past; repentance actually requires it, as does forgiveness, as do many aspects of psychological and emotional health.

Can your prayers change things that have happened in the past? No. There is absolutely no evidence in Scripture to support that idea.

I completely agree on the first part.

The second part, while there is nothing that explicitly says to pray for the past, there is nothing that insinuates you can't? This being said I don't pray for the past, rather keeping myself open to the idea in case one day God asks me to pray for something or someone in the past. The issue is, if we do pray for someone in the past, it has already happened, but God is still in that time. It takes arguably extra faith because we know it has already happened, as a result we have to have extra faith that our prayer is actually having an effect.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Hello you all,

Some of you maybe more aware of it then others, but I will outline my understanding of the story...
A Monk of praying in a monastery when his brethren that he was mentoring approached him and asked him what he was praying about. Which he replied that he was praying for someone in the past. Which those under his mentorship were confused about. He went on to explain that since God is present in all points in history at all times, that he could pray for someone or an event in the past and God would take his prayers into consideration. This makes sense, since if we can pray for the present and the future, that there should be no reason why we can't pray that God will give people of the past strength.

Any comments welcome.

Some of the problems with this theory:

1. As far as God being "present in all points in history at all times", that is a presumption that is not supported by any scripture I'm aware of.

This is not based on anything in scripture.
You would never just read the Bible, and come up with this theory.
From reading the Bible, you would only come up with the theory that God interacts with time in the same way we do, but that he KNOWS the future through his omniscience.

To go further, this idea is based NOT on scripture, NOT on logic, NOT on Philosophy, NOT on any common experience.
This is based ONLY on a certain PRESUPPOSITION that the B Theory of time is a correct theory - that temporal becoming is only an illusion, and that all points in time have always existed, and continue to always exist, independently. This is a popular theory, but there is really no evidence for this, and certainly no biblical evidence for this. The ONLY evidence we have of this anywhere is found ONLY by applying a particular model to Einstein's theories; but we can just as easily apply other models to his theories and come up with different conclusions about time.

The Bible, common experience, logic, and all known laws of logic and nature, seem to prove time moves only forward, and that all points in time do NOT contiue to exist independently.

Therefore, neither mortals nor the divine can go back in time, because there is simply nothing there to go back to.

2. We don't know everything about the nature of God, and we don't know for certain how God interacts with time, but the Biblical evidence only shows God interacting with time the SAME WAY WE DO... that time moves forward, and the old passes away, and there is no going back.

This is the ONLY way God ever speaks of temporal events.
He never gives ANY indication in scripture there is any other way to view time.

God always speaks of events as past, present or future.
God even speaks of himself as being in the present, and interacting with past, present and future EXACTLY the same as we do!

God never speaks of going back and changing the past.
NEVER.
Never, ever, ever.

More in point #3.

3. God always speaks of events in relation to time, and he never changes temporal order, or attempts to undo the temporal order.

God always speaks of things that "have happened" in the past, or "will happen" in the future, and he never gets these confused, and he never changes thing in temporal order.
This is why prophecy is able to exist, because God speaks of a future that actually must occur in the future, and a past that has actually occurred in the past.

If all points in time existed perpetually, and God existed in all points of time equally, and continually... then he couldn't really speak of the future as future, or the past as past... because they would all be existing: the past would never really pass away, and the future would never really "come into being". Past and future would not really exist... but God DOES speak of these, as a stark reality, ALL THROUGH SCRIPTURE.

Biblically, as far as we can see in scripture, God seems to KNOW the future, but he seems to experience the "movement" or "passing" of time just as we do. He never grows old or tired, and he never learns anything new... but he always speaks of past, present and future EXACTLY as we do.

4. If prayer could change the past, then we'd have no need for a savior, and everything in the Bible would be nonsense.

If prayer could change the past, we could just pray for God to reach into the past and remove our past sin... no savior needed... God would just make our past disappear.

God does NOT make our past disappear; he makes our past FORGIVEN.
Jesus DID have to die for our sins, because the past HAS PASSED, and we CANNOT GO BACK AND FIX IT.

Let that sink in; if prayer could change the past, we'd have no need of a savior.
Every time I sin, I would just pray and say, "God, please make yesterday go away along with that bad thing I did", and poof, it would be gone. No savior needed.

But prayer DOES NOT and CANNOT change the past... and we all know this.

5. If prayer could change the past, we'd have the ability to change the "law of causality", and virtually undo everything in existence.

This would make no sense scientifically, philosophically, biblically, or logically.
It would virtually undo science, nature, logic, the universe, and THE BIBLE.

Conclusion:

1. A belief that prayer can reach back and retroactively change the past is untenable on every level.

2. It is contrary to direct teachings in scripture, it would negate the law of causality thereby unraveling all of scripture along with all of God's commands and even unravelling the entire physical universe, and on a personal level, it would even negate our need for a savior.

3. Very good and decent people get very confused about time, and how it affects prayer... because the nature of time is one of the most confusing and complicated concepts that humans have encountered. It may be a sin to be confused by moral issues, but it's certainly no sin to be confused by science and philosophy that is just horribly confusing.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Hello you all,

Any comments welcome.
Once a person dies they are will be judged on their life.. No amount of prayers for the dead will help them one iota.. Praying for the dead is a pagan idea adopted by the catholic religion and is not Christian..

Apr 21, 2019
Some of the problems with this theory:

1. As far as God being "present in all points in history at all times", that is a presumption that is not supported by any scripture I'm aware of.

This is not based on anything in scripture.
You would never just read the Bible, and come up with this theory.
From reading the Bible, you would only come up with the theory that God interacts with time in the same way we do, but that he KNOWS the future through his omniscience.

To go further, this idea is based NOT on scripture, NOT on logic, NOT on Philosophy, NOT on any common experience.
This is based ONLY on a certain PRESUPPOSITION that the B Theory of time is a correct theory - that temporal becoming is only an illusion, and that all points in time have always existed, and continue to always exist, independently. This is a popular theory, but there is really no evidence for this, and certainly no biblical evidence for this. The ONLY evidence we have of this anywhere is found ONLY by applying a particular model to Einstein's theories; but we can just as easily apply other models to his theories and come up with different conclusions about time.

The Bible, common experience, logic, and all known laws of logic and nature, seem to prove time moves only forward, and that all points in time do NOT contiue to exist independently.

Therefore, neither mortals nor the divine can go back in time, because there is simply nothing there to go back to.

2. We don't know everything about the nature of God, and we don't know for certain how God interacts with time, but the Biblical evidence only shows God interacting with time the SAME WAY WE DO... that time moves forward, and the old passes away, and there is no going back.

This is the ONLY way God ever speaks of temporal events.
He never gives ANY indication in scripture there is any other way to view time.

God always speaks of events as past, present or future.
God even speaks of himself as being in the present, and interacting with past, present and future EXACTLY the same as we do!

NEVER.
Never, ever, ever.

More in point #3.

3. God always speaks of events in relation to time, and he never changes temporal order, or attempts to undo the temporal order.

God always speaks of things that "have happened" in the past, or "will happen" in the future, and he never gets these confused, and he never changes thing in temporal order.
This is why prophecy is able to exist, because God speaks of a future that actually must occur in the future, and a past that has actually occurred in the past.

If all points in time existed perpetually, and God existed in all points of time equally, and continually... then he couldn't really speak of the future as future, or the past as past... because they would all be existing: the past would never really pass away, and the future would never really "come into being". Past and future would not really exist... but God DOES speak of these, as a stark reality, ALL THROUGH SCRIPTURE.

Biblically, as far as we can see in scripture, God seems to KNOW the future, but he seems to experience the "movement" or "passing" of time just as we do. He never grows old or tired, and he never learns anything new... but he always speaks of past, present and future EXACTLY as we do.

4. If prayer could change the past, then we'd have no need for a savior, and everything in the Bible would be nonsense.

If prayer could change the past, we could just pray for God to reach into the past and remove our past sin... no savior needed... God would just make our past disappear.

God does NOT make our past disappear; he makes our past FORGIVEN.
Jesus DID have to die for our sins, because the past HAS PASSED, and we CANNOT GO BACK AND FIX IT.

Let that sink in; if prayer could change the past, we'd have no need of a savior.
Every time I sin, I would just pray and say, "God, please make yesterday go away along with that bad thing I did", and poof, it would be gone. No savior needed.

But prayer DOES NOT and CANNOT change the past... and we all know this.

5. If prayer could change the past, we'd have the ability to change the "law of causality", and virtually undo everything in existence.

This would make no sense scientifically, philosophically, biblically, or logically.
It would virtually undo science, nature, logic, the universe, and THE BIBLE.

Conclusion:

1. A belief that prayer can reach back and retroactively change the past is untenable on every level.

2. It is contrary to direct teachings in scripture, it would negate the law of causality thereby unraveling all of scripture along with all of God's commands and even unravelling the entire physical universe, and on a personal level, it would even negate our need for a savior.

3. Very good and decent people get very confused about time, and how it affects prayer... because the nature of time is one of the most confusing and complicated concepts that humans have encountered. It may be a sin to be confused by moral issues, but it's certainly no sin to be confused by science and philosophy that is just horribly confusing.

Well answered. I agree with you now. With the argument you have set out, it has helped me realize that the line of thinking I was in was, while interesting, not Biblically sound. If we could affect the past with prayer then we would no longer need grace. And God will provide in the moment, He does not need the future to provide for the past.

Thank you for your comments. It has cleared it up for me.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
i wish i could change the past by praying.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Is it wrong, or not useful. There is nowhere in the Bible does it says we shouldn't do it, nor we should do it. If this is the case, it would come down to two different criteria I have personally laid out for practicing things that are not explicitly commanded of us in the Bible. First, is the Bible against it? in this case, it seems the answer is no, and secondly, is it edifying to us and our souls, in this case, you would argue no it would not edify your soul?
People tend to view things not directly mentioned in the bible in one of two ways. One type sees the bible doesn't say it's wrong so it must be ok, or good.
The other type sifts through the precedents and the nature of God as outlined in the bible to seek an answer whose basis lines up with the bible.
I always have tried to be the second type. And my post above, to me, suggests a wrongness as praying for the past goes in opposition to the theme of moving forward and leaving the past behind presented in the bible.
That's what I see. I could be wrong. But the bear case scenario seems to be to possibly fall under "permissible but not beneficial".