Praying for the Unsaved

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i haven't read the whole thread -- has anyone mentioned..

His sons used to hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular custom.
(Job 1:4-5)

?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
His sons used to hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular custom.
(Job 1:4-5)
technically Job's sons & daughters still comprise a group

:sneaky:

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
If you pray for a reprobate's salvation, is that praying in God's will?
the person may or may not be reprobate, but we have no idea who are God's elect
If you pray for a Chrisitian to recover from a serious heart attack when it would be better to be with the LOrd........is that praying in God's will?
Should we pray for sunshine when the farmer needs rain?
Pray to sell my house so I can buy my dream house..........but unknown to me the termites have eating half the timbers away of that dream.

I dont think we know WHAT to pray for, so best to follow the ACTS example, God loves our praise and it is good for our souls to praise Him.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Lanolin,
I can understand why you would use nitpicking in your post. I had a negative feeling also. I ended up writing post 107.
Hang in there. Crossnote and You seem sincere.
They are both very nice decent peeps.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
If you pray for a Chrisitian to recover from a serious heart attack when it would be better to be with the LOrd........is that praying in God's will?
Pray to sell my house so I can buy my dream house..........but unknown to me the termites have eating half the timbers away of that dream.

I dont think we know WHAT to pray for, so best to follow the ACTS example, God loves our praise and it is good for our souls to praise Him.
See David as an example. God declared that his son would die. David fasted and prayed that God would spare his son.

Paul prayed for his brethren, the Jews.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Different opinion but I don't think it's nitpicky asking for an example of a person praying for the salvation of another person.
We gave you plenty of examples. And heres one Jesus prayed for.
PETER.

Maybe you didnt know this cos you just hadnt read that part in the Bible yet. Thats OK! Now you know!

Just have the grace to say AMEN.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Sorry I dont mean to be rude..its just people kept giving lots of examples of named inidviduals prayed for in the Bible especially in regards to salvation, and someone keeps saying or insisting there isnt any.

I mean hello. GOd knows each and everyone of us BY NAME. He writes down the names of those who are saved into the book of life. Why wouldnt he know our names and why wouldnt we pray for people by name??

John146

Jan 13, 2016

Romans 10
1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Paul prays for his brethren according to the flesh, the Jews, even though they have have rejected their Messiah, Jesus Christ. Paul continues to pray for them. We should continue to pray for those who are lost, that the gospel would be preached, heard and believed. Not to offend any of my Calvinist brothers on here because some have stated otherwise, but that's one of my fears of that belief system. Why pray? I have friends who are Calvinist who have that attitude. It's not biblical.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
We gave you plenty of examples. And heres one Jesus prayed for.
PETER.

Maybe you didnt know this cos you just hadnt read that part in the Bible yet. Thats OK! Now you know!

Just have the grace to say AMEN.
Why should I 'amen' something that is not true. Why should I amen a stab in the dark?

Jesus prayed that Peter's faith would not fail which implies Peter had some faith (even if a mustard seed).

Luke 22:32 KJV
[32] But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Why should I 'amen' something that is not true. Why should I amen a stab in the dark?

Jesus prayed that Peter's faith would not fail which implies Peter had some faith (even if a mustard seed).

Luke 22:32 KJV
[32] But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
Is it true. Say amen!
Everyone has faith in someone or something. WHO they have faith in is the important thing, thats why Jesus prayed for Peter. Recall, Peter actually denied Jesus THREE times. Why because Peter had more faith in what other people thought than faith in Jesus. At that time.

We can see God answered that prayer and Peter was converted. Do you understand?
If not have to go through the basics of faith with you because it seems you refuse to understand.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I wonder about people in church who refuse to say amen to prayers...

Oy. Someone is pouring their heart out to God, and yet nobody says amen. Why, dont they believe God will answer? That nothing is impossible or too hard for Him?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
GOd knows as many people who need saving come to be saved. JEsus did not call the righteous. HE called for sinners to repent. Because they needed saving.

This is why we pray for and tell the gospel to people who are as yet unsaved. Why would Jesus go to rescue someone who doesnt need rescuing. It would be like saying , only call 111 or 911 if that person isnt in danger of dying. Ambulances are only sent out to healthy people and fire trucks to where there isnt a fire.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It would be a lame ambulance and fire service if that was the case. I dont serve a lame God. My God is mighty to save.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Is it true. Say amen!
Everyone has faith in someone or something. WHO they have faith in is the important thing, thats why Jesus prayed for Peter. Recall, Peter actually denied Jesus THREE times. Why because Peter had more faith in what other people thought than faith in Jesus. At that time.

We can see God answered that prayer and Peter was converted. Do you understand?
If not have to go through the basics of faith with you because it seems you refuse to understand
The word 'convert' epistrepho (ἐπιστρέφω, 1994) means to turn again. IOW that Peter's faith would be restored.
Why would Jesus tell Peter that He will pray that his faith fail not if it originally was placed in the wrong thing?

BTW, I find it hard communicating with those who communicate sarcastically and condescending.