Praying in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
When I protested the use of caps that it was shouting, I was told it was NOT shouting.
And now, I really do not care.
I see that you consistently "do not care" when you are shown to be wrong. Oh well... you're only here for entertainment anyway.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
How about you quote the person or persons to whom you direct this rather terse admonition. It's over 24 hours since the previous post. Are you sure it was necessary?
It wasn't directed at you. And yes, I'm sure it was necessary.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
I see that you consistently "do not care" when you are shown to be wrong. Oh well... you're only here for entertainment anyway.
And here I am just waiting for you to be entertaining.
Some things are just not meant to be.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
The gift of tongues is not given to all. That's the same as prophecy....not all have this gift either.

But, our prayer language is the language of our Spirit. Available to all but as one has said here already....if you don't believe it....unbelief....you probably wont' receive it. Some however have while magnifying the Lord through their understanding in their native language....it flows then.
Hallo Stone, then where i find that praying in tongues is the language of our Spirit. And that I have to believe it before it works? Even I dont find bible proof about whom I have to ask for to receive the language of my spirit so that I can pray in tongues.
And why this is not taught in the NT?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Hallo Stone, then where i find that praying in tongues is the language of our Spirit. And that I have to believe it before it works? Even I dont find bible proof about whom I have to ask for to receive the language of my spirit so that I can pray in tongues.

Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth; for the Father also requireth worshippers such as these.
Joh 4:24 For Aloha is a Spirit; and they who worship him, in spirit and in truth must worship. Etheridge

1Co_14:15  What does this mean? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. I will sing psalms with my spirit, but I will also sing psalms with my mind. ISV

I think I said that unbelief would keep one from receiving. But, then again God cannot be kept in a box. Am sure He has surprised many believers when tongues rolled off their tongue. lol

Mar 28, 2016
Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth; for the Father also requireth worshippers such as these.
Joh 4:24 For Aloha is a Spirit; and they who worship him, in spirit and in truth must worship. Etheridge

1Co_14:15  What does this mean? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind. I will sing psalms with my spirit, but I will also sing psalms with my mind. ISV

I think I said that unbelief would keep one from receiving. But, then again God cannot be kept in a box. Am sure He has surprised many believers when tongues rolled off their tongue. lol

Not in a box but face to face in respect to the knowledge of God coming from the word of God, prophecy.

Believers know prophecy spoken in many tongues is God mocking the Jews that refused to hear the word of God in any language to include their own .No surprises for the believer they marvel not as if it was a sign against them.

Define the law and the tongues doctrine will fall into place

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them "that believe", but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:21-22

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Not in a box but face to face in respect to the knowledge of God coming from the word of God, prophecy.

Believers know prophecy spoken in many tongues is God mocking the Jews that refused to hear the word of God in any language to include their own .No surprises for the believer they marvel not as if it was a sign against them.

Are you thinking that prophecy is preaching?

? what does this mean?

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them "that believe", but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:21-22

Let's look at that scripture out of the OT...Amplfied...nah...first the ISV...:)

Isa 28:9  To whom will he teach knowledge, and to whom will he explain the message? To children just weaned from milk? To those just taken from the breast?

Isa 28:10  For it is: "Do this and do that, do this and do that, Line upon line, line upon line, a little here, a little there."

Isa 28:11  Very well, then, by strange lips and foreign tongues the LORD will speak to this people

Isa 28:12  to whom he said, "This is the resting place, so give rest to the weary"' and "This is the place of repose"—but they would not listen.

Isa 28:13  So, then, the message from the LORD to them will become: "Do this and do that, do this and do that, line upon line, line upon line, a little here, a little there," so that they will go, but fall backward, and be injured, snared, and captured.

The rest from the law...Jesus and His Holy Spirit working within....the true Sabbath rest.

Now the Amplified:

9 To whom will He teach knowledge? Ask the drunkards. And whom will He make to understand the message? Those who are babies, just weaned from the milk and taken from the breasts? Is that what He thinks we are?
10 For it is His prophets repeating over and over: precept upon precept, precept upon precept, rule upon rule, rule upon rule: here a little, there a little.

11 No, but the Lord will teach the rebels in a more humiliating way, by men of with stammering lips and another tongue will He speak to this people says Isaiah, and teach them His lessons.

12 To these complaining Jews the Lord had said, This is the true rest, the way to true comfort and happiness that you shall give to the weary, and this is the true refreshing_ yet they would not listen to His teaching.

13 Therefore the word of the Lord will be to them merely monotonous repeatings of precept upon precept, precept upon precept, rule upon rule, rule upon rule; here a little, there a little- that they may go and fall backward and be broken and snared.

Read verse 16 then.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

Well, the thing is that you took the verses out of the context.
John 4, 24 has nothing to do with praying in tongues. But is showing the Samaritian woman that true worship is different then what she is used to practise.
1.Cor. 14 is talking from gift of speaking in tongues. And Paul is ueseing the words speaking in tongues and praying in tongues for the same gift. The gift of speaking in tongues. As you said not every christian can get this gift. And this has nothing to do he want it ore not.
So the claim, that every christian could have the ability to praying in tongues is wrong.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
I don't teach that and I don't see it in scripture and I have not found it to be so

so what's your beef here?

nothing in your observance contradicts what I have posted

maybe get over it. the world is not going to change because you choose to dicker about it and folks who do pray/sing/prophesy in tongues are not going to stop and God will still be glorified in spite of all the opposition coming from believers who should actually know better

and to make it clear, yes there is abuse of the gifts just like there is abuse in everything else. there will always be those who purport to be what they are not and they indicate their false calling by the very abuse they exhibit. some have been called and sadly have gone off the deep end

none of that negates the truth. some people think they are Jesus. so?
I know that the world will not change, but will go the way which God has choosen for it.
I am only saying that the claim that every christian could have the ability to praying in tongues is not biblical prooved and so far not relevant. But this claim makes believers unshure and make them thinking they are not 100% christians. (As I had heared it here on CC.)
And it is worth to say that this teaching began with the pentecostal movement in 1900.
Ore can you show me were this teaching was taught before, (except in the cults)?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Well, the thing is that you took the verses out of the context.
John 4, 24 has nothing to do with praying in tongues. But is showing the Samaritian woman that true worship is different then what she is used to practise.
1.Cor. 14 is talking from gift of speaking in tongues. And Paul is ueseing the words speaking in tongues and praying in tongues for the same gift. The gift of speaking in tongues. As you said not every christian can get this gift. And this has nothing to do he want it ore not.
So the claim, that every christian could have the ability to praying in tongues is wrong.
There are other gifts wolfwint. What I am saying is that in receiving the baptism of Holy Spirit, He gifts us with those as He wills. Tongues, prophecy, wisdom, knowledge are all voice giftings. If you desire them, He will oblige you. And the voice gifts are messages from Holy Spirit within. It is God speaking through men. That seems to scare most people who have not yet experienced this. because the supernatural is portrayed by society as evil. Also as being "taken over". None of this is true.

We forget that satan cannot create but can only twist what is truth. And God is supernatural. Spirit. The old testament is full of supernatural experiences.

It seems to me that the body of Christ should be too. And it is. :)

You probably think Jesus never spoke in tongues. What He said on the Cross was ancient Chaldean. And in other places.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
There are other gifts wolfwint. What I am saying is that in receiving the baptism of Holy Spirit, He gifts us with those as He wills. Tongues, prophecy, wisdom, knowledge are all voice giftings. If you desire them, He will oblige you. And the voice gifts are messages from Holy Spirit within. It is God speaking through men. That seems to scare most people who have not yet experienced this. because the supernatural is portrayed by society as evil. Also as being "taken over". None of this is true.

We forget that satan cannot create but can only twist what is truth. And God is supernatural. Spirit. The old testament is full of supernatural experiences.

It seems to me that the body of Christ should be too. And it is. :)

You probably think Jesus never spoke in tongues. What He said on the Cross was ancient Chaldean. And in other places.
For me it is no problem to accept the supernatural work of our Lord in our lives. I have only problems with some teachings which I dont find before 1900. And those teachings I cant trust.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
For me it is no problem to accept the supernatural work of our Lord in our lives. I have only problems with some teachings which I dont find before 1900. And those teachings I cant trust.
Well, I dont' have a problem with that wolf. But, wouldn't it be better to trust the Word?

To those who teach cessationism, if this is so, why did the Apostles lay hands on others to receive the baptism, and what showed them they had received? Was it not tongues and prophecy? Not preaching....speaking out of your Spirit by the power of Holy Spirit.

And so did others in Acts.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Well, I dont' have a problem with that wolf. But, wouldn't it be better to trust the Word?

To those who teach cessationism, if this is so, why did the Apostles lay hands on others to receive the baptism, and what showed them they had received? Was it not tongues and prophecy? Not preaching....speaking out of your Spirit by the power of Holy Spirit.

Bible 101

CS1

May 23, 2012

it would be different if they would deal with the immaturity and foolishness by those who use the gifts in error. We would agree on that Biblically, they do not do that. They blankly label all as such then create false narratives to disprove what the very word of God says.

The gifts have ceased can’t prove that in the bible not said ion the word

It is a pagan practice but they had to look outside of what 1cor 12 to 14 says and the Book of Acts to assert such things. They call something Modern as if God does not do anything like we read in the Old of New contextually. Why because they have not approved of it.

Mar 28, 2016
Are you thinking that prophecy is preaching?
To prophesy (preach) by preaching prophecy, the word of God is to preach Christ we do not preach our own selves . Prophecy is that which we do declare or teach...…….. preaching the gospel .

? what does this mean?

Those who are looking for a sign to confirm they have the Holy Spirit turn that upside down. The sign confirms those who will not believe prophecy the word of God in any tongue as a language . If the law is defined and believed then those will not seek after assign that is against them, not confirming they believe, but confirming they do not.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To prophesy (preach) by preaching prophecy, the word of God is to preach Christ we do not preach our own selves . Prophecy is that which we do declare or teach...…….. preaching the gospel .
Fallacy: circular reasoning.

O

obedienttogod

It appears to be Paul's desire that everyone spoke in Tongues. And to also prophesy.

1 Corinthians 14:5
I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Paul even boasts about speaking in Tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:18
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Paul even explains the necessity of speaking in Tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:22
tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Jesus even explains those speaking in Tongues is a sign of a believer/follower of Him.

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Another verse where Paul encourages to speak in Tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:39
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

This verse claims Tongues is a sign of those who are actually filled with the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:4
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

This is Biblical Proof that a true believer filled with the Holy Spirit will indeed speak in Tongues. And Paul clearly was teaching throughout the New Testament period to speak in Tongues. And for you to claim there are no scriptures to back the necessity of speaking in Tongues, means you did not study hard enough. But I did the work for you, and now you should understand, if you have not yet spoke in Tongues, you most likely are not filled with the Holy Ghost/Spirit of God!!

D

djdearing

There is also that form of tongues, very special,which fell upon the Twelve. When they spoke, everyone, no matter what their mother tongue, understood them speaking in their own language.

Have you ever heard God speak though there were no words? I have experienced this one time at least, when He filled me with His Holy Spirit. Although I could reiterate what He said in words, they did not come in words rather with and in the Holy Spirit. It was a simple message, and dI believe it is for all who believe.

"Everything is going to be just fine."
Hello again my friend. There's only one gift of tongues, and Paul says there are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not. Therefore it's not a gift you speak alone in your closet because it's for the edification of others to hear.

1 Cor 14 is where people come up with the PPL stuff and I tell you what, if everyone would just read it in the KJV it's clear as day. "Unknown tongue" is the key to understanding the passage, which is in clear contrast to tongues. MY COMMENTS TO THE VERSES IN CAPS FOR READABILITY.

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. SOUNDS MYSTICAL WITHOUT CONTEXT, BUT YOU MUST UNDERSTAND AN UNKNOWN TONGUE IS NOT A GIFT.

1 Corinthians 14:4
He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. EDIFYING YOURSELF IS NOT WHAT THE GIFT OF TONGUES WAS FOR.

1 Corinthians 14:13
Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. WHY? BECAUSE THE NEXT VERSE.

1 Corinthians 14:14
For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1 Corinthians 14:19
Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. THAT'S THE CONTEXT, TONGUES WAS TO BE HEARD BY OTHERS FOR TEACHING.

1 Corinthians 14:27
If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. VERSE 28 - BUT IF THERE BE NO INTERPRETER, LET HIM KEEP SILENCE IN THE CHURCH...!