Praying in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I would agree the greater works seem to reflect salvation

Jesus provided for our salvation but it was not until He ascended that the gospel started going out into all the then 'known world' and of course today, the world

so Jesus did not actually share His own gospel in the manner we do today and He actually only taught in a small area

I would also agree with this verse of scripture

5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Turn away from such as these! II Timothy 3

now the context of that verse says more than may apply to those in this thread that deny the gifts or just about anything they cannot touch, feel, see, smell or observe in some way that connects with their human reasoning

however, I think we are seeing a form of godliness with no power for certain in those who deny the Holy Spirit's 'intrusion' into their carefully plotted 'Christian' path

IMO, they prefer men and their teachings
I always look at the Greek. And sometimes I get it wrong anyway. :)

But, greater works in looking at it, means mighty works of old. Elijah, Elisha?

7seasrekeyed

I always look at the Greek. And sometimes I get it wrong anyway. :)

But, greater works in looking at it, means mighty works of old. Elijah, Elisha?

not from what I got in research

seems to indicate salvation...as Jesus was speaking, and saying you will do what I do and GREATER works, not sure where E & E would fit it there?

were E & E doing greater works? mmmmm

I've see a few things I would not even bring up on the forum though...;)

I also think many folks do not recognize the hand of God in this world...including believers .

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
not from what I got in research

seems to indicate salvation...as Jesus was speaking, and saying you will do what I do and GREATER works, not sure where E & E would fit it there?

were E & E doing greater works? mmmmm

I've see a few things I would not even bring up on the forum though...;)

I also think many folks do not recognize the hand of God in this world...including believers .
Can't say I researched. Just looked at Strongs.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Not sure why this just came to me, but I remember one of them (Elijah, Elisha) throwing a "tree" into water and it made the water sweet. I guess Jesus would be the fulfillment of that miracle. ;)

He is greater!

7seasrekeyed

Can't say I researched. Just looked at Strongs.

actually, I am encouraged by how Elijah's prayers kept back the rain and then when he prayed for rain, God sent rain

and the reference in the NT that brings that up with the thought that Elijah was a human (man it says actually) and yet through his prayers these miracles...but they occurred through prayer and we know Jesus prayed every morning...went off by Himself

so much there we need to grasp and go to God with. I bet you would agree there :)

Mar 28, 2016
He does have have a beginning *nature" he creates them. God is not an man as us never was never could be.
Sorry, I meant to say He does not have a beginning "a nature" he creates them.

His divine nature has to do with the creation the beginning of nature or time. He remains without beginning. He is not a man as us.

supernatural (adj.)
early 15c. "of or given by God," from Medieval Latin supernaturalis "above or beyond nature, divine," from Latin super "above" (see super-) + natura "nature" (see nature (n.)). Originally with more of a religious sense, "of or given by God, divine; heavenly;" association with ghosts, etc., has predominated since 19c. Related: Supernaturalism.

For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment. Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.Job 9:32-33

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Sevenseas:

You might not agree with this, but I have a volume of Smith Wigglesworths sermons . In reading them I experienced power. Several times. Fasting 7 days too.

But, I do agree about prayer. Especially in the Spirit!

7seasrekeyed

Sevenseas:

You might not agree with this, but I have a volume of Smith Wigglesworths sermons . In reading them I experienced power. Several times. Fasting 7 days too.

But, I do agree about prayer. Especially in the Spirit!

love the 'you might not agree with this' aka 'read with caution' LOL!

I know about Wigglesworth but I have not read his sermons...the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit and if something is genuine, it comes from Him. if not? well, then not. I can't judge that but you prob remember what I do and have objected to

fasting I get so weak...have not fasted in a while...I hardly pray or read when fasting...but seems afterwards is another story...we are not all the same, right? right

while I do not agree with what I do not agree, I have experienced some quite out of the ordinary events also

I will always proceed with caution, but we need to dig deeper with God

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Sorry, I meant to say He does not have a beginning "a nature" he creates them.

His divine nature has to do with the creation the beginning of nature or time. He remains without beginning. He is not a man as us.

supernatural (adj.)
early 15c. "of or given by God," from Medieval Latin supernaturalis "above or beyond nature, divine," from Latin super "above" (see super-) + natura "nature" (see nature (n.)). Originally with more of a religious sense, "of or given by God, divine; heavenly;" association with ghosts, etc., has predominated since 19c. Related: Supernaturalism.

For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment. Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both.Job 9:32-33
You're dancing around this.

First you wrote "God has no nature."

Now you write "He does not have a beginning "a nature" he creates them."

Poor punctuation aside, those statements conflict with what Scripture plainly states. Your position is wrong.

CS1

May 23, 2012
He does have a beginning *nature" he creates them. God is not a man as us never was never could be.
this statement is an oxymoron, How can God have a beginning when HE God is the Self-existent one. God has no beginning and No end. When we say God is the Father of this in context to His ability to Create as HE is the Creator. God doing something is not to be seen Biblically as God a beginning for God but the beginning of what HE created.

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
HI Kohelet, I'm sure wolf went is a good brother to you. I would say mocking the gifts of the Holy Spirit is not wise. Even if one thinks they are done away with today which I do not agree with, the word of God still says they are the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, so why would you want to mock it? That is not different than one who is making up a gift or use it to make money. That makes one hypocrite and very close to blasphemy. Both are equally wrong. Those who would misuse, or pervert the gifts and those who mock them. The word of God speaks of these things, a Christian should be more mindful of the Holy Spirit in the word of God and speak more reverently about HIM. The Holy Spirit is God or that gone away with too?
Hi CS1,

Sorry about the delay. I don't come here often.

As wolfwint is born again, he is not just a brother to me, he is a brother of yours, too. I haven't followed this thread, so can't comment about what has been said in it.

But I also don't think it wise to mock the gifts of the Spirit. You and I interpret God's word to be saying that the gifts continue to this day and we have good reason for believing as we do. Wolfwint goes with the less convincing view that they were given to kickstart the church. All kinds of problems with that one. But if a person is convinced that they no longer exist, in his view what is happening today isn't something from the Holy Spirit; it's the result of something else and therefore not mocking something the Holy Spirit is behind. He wouldn't be speaking irreverently of the things of God, in his view, right? We should leave it to God to deal with them on this issue. I'd still say that this person should pull his head in, be more gracious and consider others more important than himself, though.

I discussed this matter in great depth with wolfwint some time ago - and won, right Wolfie? It was poetry in motion, CS1; you'd have been in the heavenlies if you'd been a fly on the wall. 1 Corinthians 12-14 can't make it any clearer that the gifts are something intended for the church and will continue until Jesus comes again. These days very few would believe as wolf does. Even some influential Reformed scholars write against the cessationist view.

While the speech of people with the narrower view should be "full of grace, seasoned with salt", others who argue for the continuance of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, who "live by the Spirit [should] also walk by the Spirit" displaying "gentleness and self-control" rather than the works of the flesh, which include strife (Galatians 5:20). I'm not accusing you of this at all; haven't read the thread and I don't think it's your style anyway - but many apparently 'Spirit-filled' Christians are more strife- and dissension-oriented than displaying the fruit of the Spirit. It's worth reading Galatians 5:19-21 to see how much mentioned in the list appears in these forums.

Anway, that was it. Sorry again about the delay.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Hi CS1,

Sorry about the delay. I don't come here often.

As wolfwint is born again, he is not just a brother to me, he is a brother of yours, too. I haven't followed this thread, so can't comment about what has been said in it.

But I also don't think it wise to mock the gifts of the Spirit. You and I interpret God's word to be saying that the gifts continue to this day and we have good reason for believing as we do. Wolfwint goes with the less convincing view that they were given to kickstart the church. All kinds of problems with that one. But if a person is convinced that they no longer exist, in his view what is happening today isn't something from the Holy Spirit; it's the result of something else and therefore not mocking something the Holy Spirit is behind. He wouldn't be speaking irreverently of the things of God, in his view, right? We should leave it to God to deal with them on this issue. I'd still say that this person should pull his head in, be more gracious and consider others more important than himself, though.

I discussed this matter in great depth with wolfwint some time ago - and won, right Wolfie? It was poetry in motion, CS1; you'd have been in the heavenlies if you'd been a fly on the wall. 1 Corinthians 12-14 can't make it any clearer that the gifts are something intended for the church and will continue until Jesus comes again. These days very few would believe as wolf does. Even some influential Reformed scholars write against the cessationist view.

While the speech of people with the narrower view should be "full of grace, seasoned with salt", others who argue for the continuance of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, who "live by the Spirit [should] also walk by the Spirit" displaying "gentleness and self-control" rather than the works of the flesh, which include strife (Galatians 5:20). I'm not accusing you of this at all; haven't read the thread and I don't think it's your style anyway - but many apparently 'Spirit-filled' Christians are more strife- and dissension-oriented than displaying the fruit of the Spirit. It's worth reading Galatians 5:19-21 to see how much mentioned in the list appears in these forums.

Anway, that was it. Sorry again about the delay.
thank you for your comments, The issue i have is the attacks I see on other brothers and sister whom you have not spoken too. I am not one to care if I win, I care that they who like to bully mock scoff. I should just ban them when they do. however, that too is not my style :) .

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
thank you for your comments, The issue i have is the attacks I see on other brothers and sister whom you have not spoken too. I am not one to care if I win, I care that they who like to bully mock scoff. I should just ban them when they do. however, that too is not my style :) .
Thanks, CS1. Absolutely agree about the bullies, mockers and scoffers. There's too much of it. Any amount is too much.

Jul 23, 2018
Learn the history of today's "tongues" and do you really want to go there?
Lovers of truth will not.
The book of acts is bad,or the Holy Spirit?
That is the history.
Not some concocted mess your teachers teach

Jul 23, 2018
I do enjoy praying in tongues during my quiet time with the Lord. It is fabulous to just let the Holy Spirit speak freely over you! :love:

It's not scary or weird at all. With the gift of tongues, you can pray, speak out loud or quietly in your head, sing and whisper.

If you put on some background worship music during your quiet time with the Lord and His Word (the Bible) and just start speaking quietly in tongues with the music...........................it just ushers you into the Throne Room quickly! It's absolutely wonderful!

I really don't worry about not understanding what I'm saying - I simply enjoy the "spiritual" massage in by body, soul and spirit. It's like God is cuddling with you and speaking words of edification over you.......

Sometimes, I will start hearing words in english (my native language) in my head as I'm speaking in tongues which is the Holy Spirit giving me understanding of what He is saying. Absolutely incredible words like..........."fear be silenced and hinder no more My precious child......feel the warmth of the fire of My love for you My darling.......you are strong and fearless......I AM with you......"

After one of these moments, I love to open up the Bible and begin to read..................incredible understanding and revelations....................:love:

I highly recommend praying in tongues! :love:(y)
"It's absolutely wonderful"