Predestination is misunderstood...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
we are born from the dirt not from heaven.

How can your name be in the lambs book of life if you haven been born yet.

Explain that to me.

Have you ever stopped to wonder if once upon of time man walked in the same time as God
Maybe I misunderstood your post. It looked like you were saying there was one time when all names past, present and future were written. But this latest post seems to be agreeing with my own view, that names are written into the book as they come into existence.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Maybe I misunderstood your post. It looked like you were saying there was one time when all names past, present and future were written. But this latest post seems to be agreeing with my own view, that names are written into the book as they come into existence.
no problem. I wasn't suggesting it's what you where thinking, I was clarifying what I said originally 😊

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
So it seems apparent to me know that you believe in simple terms,

1) total depravity, man unable to hear and respond to the Gospel unless man is regenerated first.
2) Jesus died for the elect only
3) unconditional election, God chooses

I am not sure what you mean by destruction, some people here think it means to annihilate in the next life assuming you do believe in a place of punishment after physical death I would like to ask two questions

Are all the unborn fetuses and babies who are not the elected destined for eternal punishment?

How is God just if He gives "biblical hearing" to some only and not another and then holds the non-elect accountable for not responding to the Gospel when they never had the ability to respond?
It's difficult to answer sometimes because of differences in understanding of terminology. For example, what is meant by total depravity? Total depravity simply means that as a result of the fall, every aspect of man was affected. That is, his heart, mind, and will were all corrupted from their original estate.
This is relatively easy to demonstrate from the actions of Adam and Eve post sin. The same God they had trusted and fellowshipped with they now questioned and drew away from. Since God hadn't changed, I think it safe to say the change occurred in Adam and Eve.
So what is the level of the corruption? Clearly their minds, hearts, and wills still function. But in what capacity? Their minds don't consider God the same way. Their hearts are toward themselves and their affections aren't toward God or each other as before. And this drives their wills or actions as they hide from God, cover themselves, and blame everyone but themselves.
The question then arises: can someone in this estate seek after God? And certainly on some level they can. And some do. Their hearts still function and they still have affections, but can they seek God with all their hearts? It is as one seeks God with all their heart that they will surely find Him. And I don't believe the heart of fallen man has this capability.
Another question arises: can fallen man understand the gospel and respond? Again, at some level yes. His mind still functions and it's not a terribly complicated message. But man's inclination now is to make himself approved of God in his own manner. Just as Adam and Eve covered themselves before God, I believe fallen man will always on some level cover themselves. We see it daily on this site. Yes Jesus, but also my adherence to the law.
So while what you have concluded in your 3 points does broadly outline what I believe, but without explanation it can easily be construed to mean other than I believe. The other questions you asked at tthe end evidence this. It's not that I think they are bad questions. In fact, I believe they are excellent questions. But they are also the inevitable questions posed because of misunderstanding driven by different understandings of a concept; in this case, depravity and what it entails.
It's natural to want to simplify things because it makes them more manageable. But in doing so, nuance and degree of accuracy are often casualties.
If you made it this far, my thanks. I know I didn't answer all your questions and am happy to do so. I thought it best to begin with what actually undergirds my beliefs before moving forward.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
For example, what is meant by total depravity? Total depravity simply means that as a result of the fall, every
aspect of man was affected. That is, his heart, mind, and will were all corrupted from their original estate.
Funny along the peculiar vein how people argue against this. I think it may in part simply be a knee-jerk reaction to the thought of them selves being depraved. Ever. As if they were not. Or they terribly misconstrue the meaning of men being evil to mean nobody in the state of unbelief can ever do a good thing even though without faith it is impossible to please God. And God alone is good. So Scripture is actually thrown over in a number of ways to reject the total depravity of man. Even though it is presented as a major point in not only Calvinism and Arminianism, but also Molinism, though the wording may be slightly altered, such as radical depravity instead of total.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Funny along the peculiar vein how people argue against this. I think it may in part simply be a knee-jerk reaction to the thought of them selves being depraved. Ever. As if they were not. Or they terribly misconstrue the meaning of men being evil to mean nobody in the state of unbelief can ever do a good thing even though without faith it is impossible to please God. And God alone is good. So Scripture is actually thrown over in a number of ways to reject the total depravity of man.
Often by total depravity is meant total inability: that a person is not able to be justified by believing God without God supernaturally acting first upon the person to make them able to believe God. This leads to the proposition of unconditional election, on the basis that, if not everyone does believe, God must therefore have chosen to withhold something from the ones who could not believe, something that He must have chosen to give to the ones who were able to believe.

If total depravity means "every aspect of an unregenerate human being falls short of perfection, but not so as to prevent her from using her native faculties to hear from God and to believe that message from Him, then that would conform to scripture. But that is not what most people who agree with total depravity mean by total depravity. The problem with total inability is that scripture does not teach it.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I believe after speaking personaly with someone who claimed it was a Mormonism belief, and he himself said he was of the Mormon faith, then went on to tell me, we all have spirit that has lived in a heavenly realm first, and we have all been cast down to earth to be refined.

So I'm sure it's some kind of belief centre upon the belief that genesis says are soul is created in heaven.

But I'm sure it stems from people not interpreting genesis 1, which says and man became a living soul.

It's interpreted by people as God breathed a living soul into man, which is a wrong understanding I believe.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Often by total depravity is meant total inability: that a person is not able to be justified by believing God without God supernaturally acting first upon the person to make them able to believe God. This leads to the proposition of unconditional election, on the basis that, if not everyone does believe, God must therefore have chosen to withhold something from the ones who could not believe, something that He must have chosen to give to the ones who were able to believe.

If total depravity means "every aspect of an unregenerate human being falls short of perfection, but not so as to prevent her from using her native faculties to hear from God and to believe that message from Him, then that would conform to scripture. But that is not what most people who agree with total depravity mean by total depravity. The problem with total inability is that scripture does not teach it.

Romans 3:10-12

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
we are born from the dirt not from heaven.
Your body is not the real you for eternity. But, your soul is.

Our parents produced the body.
God creates the soul that enters that body....

Ezekiel 18:4

“Behold, all souls are Mine;
The soul of the father
As well as the soul of the son is Mine;
The soul who sins shall die.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
Some are educated, some not. Some have abundant opportunities, some not. Until the new covenant, salvation itself was largely available to only Israel.
Tell that to Nineveh after the visit of Jonah...

Tell that to Nebuchadnezzar ...

Tell that to Cyrus the Great .......

You have a lot to learn.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Your body is not the real you for eternity. But, your soul is.

Our parents produced the body.
God creates the soul that enters that body....

Ezekiel 18:4

“Behold, all souls are Mine;
The soul of the father
As well as the soul of the son is Mine;
The soul who sins shall die.
where does it say God creates a soul that enters the body.

This verse is God telling an earthly father that there child who has become a living soul is also his.

Man became a living soul from the dust, which also means your flesh.

Your soul is also your flesh. More like your conscience

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
It's difficult to answer sometimes because of differences in understanding of terminology. For example, what is meant by total depravity? Total depravity simply means that as a result of the fall, every aspect of man was affected. That is, his heart, mind, and will were all corrupted from their original estate.
This is relatively easy to demonstrate from the actions of Adam and Eve post sin. The same God they had trusted and fellowshipped with they now questioned and drew away from. Since God hadn't changed, I think it safe to say the change occurred in Adam and Eve.
So what is the level of the corruption? Clearly their minds, hearts, and wills still function. But in what capacity? Their minds don't consider God the same way. Their hearts are toward themselves and their affections aren't toward God or each other as before. And this drives their wills or actions as they hide from God, cover themselves, and blame everyone but themselves.
The question then arises: can someone in this estate seek after God? And certainly on some level they can. And some do. Their hearts still function and they still have affections, but can they seek God with all their hearts? It is as one seeks God with all their heart that they will surely find Him. And I don't believe the heart of fallen man has this capability.
Another question arises: can fallen man understand the gospel and respond? Again, at some level yes. His mind still functions and it's not a terribly complicated message. But man's inclination now is to make himself approved of God in his own manner. Just as Adam and Eve covered themselves before God, I believe fallen man will always on some level cover themselves. We see it daily on this site. Yes Jesus, but also my adherence to the law.
So while what you have concluded in your 3 points does broadly outline what I believe, but without explanation it can easily be construed to mean other than I believe. The other questions you asked at tthe end evidence this. It's not that I think they are bad questions. In fact, I believe they are excellent questions. But they are also the inevitable questions posed because of misunderstanding driven by different understandings of a concept; in this case, depravity and what it entails.
It's natural to want to simplify things because it makes them more manageable. But in doing so, nuance and degree of accuracy are often casualties.
If you made it this far, my thanks. I know I didn't answer all your questions and am happy to do so. I thought it best to begin with what actually undergirds my beliefs before moving forward.
Would it not be easier to conclude That God
Imprisoned his own will within man.

Meaning before the fall, Gods will in man was innocent and free to choose, and it was his will that was in man in his image.

Only after the fall, God then imprisoned his own will in man, and was no longer free to choose his will.

Then the question God is all knowing, why would he allow this.

Well maybe man live in the same time as God, before the fall, and after the fall, he set man outside of his time.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Who is Romans 3:10-12 addressed to? Obviously, this does not cover everyone in all ages, since Abraham among others was righteous by faith. We must b careful not to invent absolutist general/universal rules from select cases described in scripture.

Also the tenses of the verbs there impact thr meaning of the text. E.g. "There is none that is understanding and keeps on understanding" does not mean that no one ever understands. "There is none that is doing and keeps on doing good" does not men that no one ever does good.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Would it not be easier to conclude That God
Imprisoned his own will within man.

Meaning before the fall, Gods will in man was innocent and free to choose, and it was his will that was in man in his image.

Only after the fall, God then imprisoned his own will in man, and was no longer free to choose his will.

Then the question God is all knowing, why would he allow this.

Well maybe man live in the same time as God, before the fall, and after the fall, he set man outside of his time.
I wouldn't characterize it as you have. Man was created with a will independent of God's. I simply believe sin affected man so as to corrupt and distort his will from its original design.
The extent of that corruption is what is most heavily debated.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I wouldn't characterize it as you have. Man was created with a will independent of God's. I simply believe sin affected man so as to corrupt and distort his will from its original design.
The extent of that corruption is what is most heavily debated.
can you explain how man was created with a will independent to Gods will.

I really do think this is the connection that everyone is so not able to comprehend.

Thats mans will was more in line with God's will before fall , which was the will God has placed in man was, innocent and free to choose, providing it was in accordance with God's will.

Only man never did that. So then God imprisoned his own will within man,

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
"There is none that is understanding and keeps on understanding" does not mean that no one ever understands.
"There is none that is doing and keeps on doing good" does not men that no one ever does good.
Already addressed. The good man does without -or aside from- faith is incapable of saving man from
his sinful nature, and/or delivering salvation. Read in context against the message of the greater
whole, Scripture makes clear that God moves first and devoid of that, man would not and does not
because of his sin nature, which renders him hostile toward God and in fact, God's enemy.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
can you explain how man was created with a will independent to Gods will.

I really do think this is the connection that everyone is so not able to comprehend.

Thats mans will was more in line with God's will before fall , which was the will God has placed in man was, innocent and free to choose, providing it was in accordance with God's will.

Only man never did that. So then God imprisoned his own will within man,
If God's will is in man, I don't believe there would be a need for the law or to have it written on our hearts. So perhaps you can explain what you mean by God's will in men.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
If God's will is in man, I don't believe there would be a need for the law or to have it written on our hearts. So perhaps you can explain what you mean by God's will in men.
would it be a reasonable to suggest that this will was completely free in man before the fall.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

James 4:15 Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”

1 John 5:14 This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

Ephesians 1:11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
would it be a reasonable to suggest that this will was completely free in man before the fall.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

James 4:15 Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”

1 John 5:14 This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

Ephesians 1:11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,
If God wills everything, He is guilty of Adam's (and everyone else's) sin. Do you wish to rethink your position?

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
If God wills everything, He is guilty of Adam's (and everyone else's) sin. Do you wish to rethink your position?
Incorrect, your seeing will as one object again.

If your willing to accept you are, i will explain.