Predestination is misunderstood...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
He said to another man, “Follow me.”

But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:59-60
I don't see the term "spiritually dead" anywhere in that text.

Where does scripture say we are born spiritually dead?

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
PaulThomson said:
I could suggest that we are dead in our sins in the sense that we are condemned to a future second death because of the sins we are still considered responsible for ... like the gangster saying "You're a dead man."

Or, we are alienated from God because of our sins, like the prodigal son was dead until he contritely returned to the father.

He quickens us by forgiving us our sins and giving us a new pure spirit into which He comes and abides within us continuously.

Ok, so would you rather we use the term "figuratively" dead?
No. I would prefer people discussed what biblical texts actually say, and not make unbiblical terms and fill those terms with all kinds of imaginative unbiblical meaning, and then use them as though they actually stand for something biblical.

Suggest a text with "dead" in it, and we can discuss what dead could mean there.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
PaulThomson said:
I could suggest that we are dead in our sins in the sense that we are condemned to a future second death because of the sins we are still considered responsible for ... like the gangster saying "You're a dead man."

Or, we are alienated from God because of our sins, like the prodigal son was dead until he contritely returned to the father.

He quickens us by forgiving us our sins and giving us a new pure spirit into which He comes and abides within us continuously.

No. I would prefer people discussed what biblical texts actually say, and not make unbiblical terms and fill those terms with all kinds of imaginative unbiblical meaning, and then use them as though they actually stand for something biblical.

Suggest a text with "dead" in it, and we can discuss what dead could mean there.
Except that you, yourself, reworded 'dead in sin' in your own words... so, why the double standard?

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
I don't see the term "spiritually dead" anywhere in that text.

Where does scripture say we are born spiritually dead?
But, you do see "dead?" Right?
Or, are you dead to that too?

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
God cannot be called Omniscient if there's one single thing He does not know.
In order for God to say He is omniscient means He knows everything there is to ever know.
If your walking free in his garden and innocent why does he need to know what you will do next.

Here's some suggestions for you to answer. And 5 truths

Genesis 3
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

The lord only knew they had ate of the tree of knowledge because they told him I was naked.

Which also means they where walking in innocence with no shame and with no shame of who there father was.

Which should also mean they where created not to sin..

Genesis 3
12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

God needed to ask eve if she had done this, after only knowing they had ate from the tree of knowledge because they knew they where naked.

He now needs clarity.

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

14 So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this.

The lord says because you have done this to the serpent, which is suggesting what he knows when his children are speaking the truth. Not because he knew serpent had eaten..

Genesis 3

“The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden

Firstly God says and now they have become like us, which says he did not know it would happen, because he chose not to know, ie not to know what they would would do next.

Not because he didn't know.

Or not because hes not all knowing.

It also says let us block the tree of life before they eat from it, Which implies he didn't know at this stage either whether they would.l have eaten from it,

He then banished them from the garden.

He then chose to know what they did before they did it.

Not control what they do.

So here is a total of 5 truths

Are you going to deny all 5 truths.

In favor of your own bias

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I would rather discuss why you can not put together a coherent thought before trying to discuss Genesis 3.

Here is what I am talking about...

Make sense out of that...

God did know what they had done.

answer all the suggestion in post 2628, go on be brave.

There 5 suggestion I've made ,

Let's see what your 5 suggestions are then

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Actually the Hebrew says 3:22 Then Yahweh said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us knowing good and evil; and now, lest he keep on putting forth his hand (Qal imperfect 3ms) and keep on taking (waqetal sequential perfect) and keep on eating (waqetal sequential perfect) from it and keep on living (waqetal sequential perfect) indefinitely.

Eating from it once does not make one permanently immortal. Continually eating from it keeps you immortal. Rev. 22:1-2, 19
I've made 5 suggestions in post 2628, let's see what all your suggestions are to all 5 then, go on.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
PaulThomson said:

Since Jesus died for mine and your sins, is sin really the issue, or acceptance of that forgivness?

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
PaulThomson said:

Except that you, yourself, reworded 'dead in sin' in your own words... so, why the double standard?
I did not complain about rewording scriptural phrases to explain what those phrases could mean. That is quite a different thing from creating a theological term that is not in the Bible, like "spiritually dead", and using that term assuming it is a scriptural concept, and inserting the concept wherever texts that use the word "dead" and it does not mean presently physically dead.

Obviously, to explain what one thinks a text means I need to paraphrase the text to distinguish my interpretation of the text's language from other proposed interpretations. But using the term "spiritually dead" without describing what that means to me, as if everyone should a priori accept the term as biblical and meaning what I want to pack into that term, such as being as unable as a corpse to do anything spiritual, or anything salvific, or anything pleasing to God.

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
If your walking free in his garden and innocent why does he need to know what you will do next.

Here's some suggestions for you to answer. And 5 truths

Genesis 3
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

The lord only knew they had ate of the tree of knowledge because they told him I was naked.

Which also means they where walking in innocence with no shame and with no shame of who there father was.

Which should also mean they where created not to sin..

Genesis 3
12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”

God needed to ask eve if she had done this, after only knowing they had ate from the tree of knowledge because they knew they where naked.

He now needs clarity.

The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

14 So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this.

The lord says because you have done this to the serpent, which is suggesting what he knows when his children are speaking the truth. Not because he knew serpent had eaten..

Genesis 3

“The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden

Firstly God says and now they have become like us, which says he did not know it would happen, because he chose not to know, ie not to know what they would would do next.

Not because he didn't know.

Or not because hes not all knowing.

It also says let us block the tree of life before they eat from it, Which implies he didn't know at this stage either whether they would.l have eaten from it,

He then banished them from the garden.

He then chose to know what they did before they did it.

Not control what they do.

So here is a total of 5 truths

Are you going to deny all 5 truths.

In favor of your own bias
Why does God need to know everything?
Read David.
As God creates each human being He knows how many days you will live.
That means He knows that today I am going to do things I haven't done yet.
It's not a need to know, He just knows.
When He formed Adam He knew every day Adam would live.
That means He knew Adam would sin.
How can this actually be an issue with you?
Haven't you read your Bible?
God knows everything.

And I gave you the perfect answer about Adam.
Adam sinned, God asked Adam what happened.
Cain kill Abel, God asked Cain where's your brother.
He knows.
He just makes us accountable for our actions.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Why does God need to know everything?
Read David.
As God creates each human being He knows how many days you will live.
That means He knows that today I am going to do things I haven't done yet.
It's not a need to know, He just knows.
When He formed Adam He knew every day Adam would live.
That means He knew Adam would sin.
How can this actually be an issue with you?
Haven't you read your Bible?
God knows everything.

And I gave you the perfect answer about Adam.
Adam sinned, God asked Adam what happened.
Cain kill Abel, God asked Cain where's your brother.
He knows.
He just makes us accountable for our actions.
let's discuss what he needed to know before the fall, first. Not after, first.

So that we can both sing from the same hymn book

Then we can talk about understanding God's will that lives in all men.

😊😊😊🍞🍞☕☕☕☕

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
let's discuss what he needed to know before the fall, first. Not after, first.

So that we can both sing from the same hymn book

Then we can talk about understanding God's will that lives in all men.

😊😊😊🍞🍞☕☕☕☕

God already knew Satan had fell from Heaven and knew Satan would attack God's human creation. So God knew Satan was going to do this and why God, before creating Earth, chose Jesus to be Saviour. You keep forgetting SIN happened before Adam was created. And Sin was going to remain until Jesus defeated it.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I did not complain about rewording scriptural phrases to explain what those phrases could mean. That is quite a different thing from creating a theological term that is not in the Bible, like "spiritually dead", and using that term assuming it is a scriptural concept, and inserting the concept wherever texts that use the word "dead" and it does not mean presently physically dead.

Obviously, to explain what one thinks a text means I need to paraphrase the text to distinguish my interpretation of the text's language from other proposed interpretations. But using the term "spiritually dead" without describing what that means to me, as if everyone should a priori accept the term as biblical and meaning what I want to pack into that term, such as being as unable as a corpse to do anything spiritual, or anything salvific, or anything pleasing to God.
I do not consider the so-called spiritual dead do be a spiritual corpse as others might as much as I might consider it as a state of spiritual brain death, if you will. That is their brain is dead even if their body continues to function. And I do not believe it is that they cannot continue to in the activities of thinking but more that those must reach a designation of humility in the acknowledgement that they can do nothing, apart from God, to 'know' Him or to save themselves, though many would proudly suppose that they are 'just fine' seeing that their body yet functions.