Predestination is misunderstood...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Sorry but you do not give your life for somebody deserving to go to hell.
You're right: I don't. Jesus did.

Jesus gave his life for other reasons.

If you can't accept this then you might want to wonder why Jesus said forgive them for they do not know what they do.
You seem to think you have profound insight into the deeper things of the word of God. Unfortunately, it's all blather and foam, but when you're asked to back it up, there is no substance behind it.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
God giving you sorrow is no different to God saying to cain, who was looking all gloomy, because his offering had not been accepted.

God Said to Cain if you do what is right you will be accepted.

That was God giving Cain sorrow
No, it was Cain's anger, not sorrow. Nothing in the text says or implies that God gave him sorrow.

he was giving him sorrow in advance
Nope. Not supported by the text.

He gave Adam and eve sorrow by clothing them, and punishing them, but they still had to serve their punishment and do what was right.
"Serve their punishment"? No. There is no "punishment". There are consequences for sin, declared in Genesis 3:16-19.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
No, it was Cain's anger, not sorrow. Nothing in the text says or implies that God gave him sorrow.

Nope. Not supported by the text.

"Serve their punishment"? No. There is no "punishment". There are consequences for sin, declared in Genesis 3:16-19.
As always your heart is intent on disagreement, and not only this your heart is intent to provoke reaction.

Not Good son shine, you will not impress God by destroying his children's reputation. Or trying to prove people are right by God, by testing them yourself, repeatedly over and over again.

Neither will you impress God for behaving in a manner, over and over again that suggest, your doing right by God, by showing you know scripture better than anyone else.

Your manner is spoiling what you could have with God.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
God giving you sorrow is no different to God saying to cain, who was looking all gloomy, because his offering had not been accepted.

God Said to Cain if you do what is right you will be accepted.

That was God giving Cain sorrow even tho he knew he was about to strike cain, he was giving him sorrow in advance, he still had to do what was right afterwards, but he never and he struck able .

He gave him more sorrow sorrow by punishing him, God could have struck him dead.

He gave Adam and eve sorrow by clothing them, and punishing them, but they still had to serve their punishment and do what was right.
That's not what it says. The Godly sorrow leads to repentance and salvation. That isn't what happened with Cain.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
Romans 1:16 (KJV)
[16] For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Some here by what they confess about salvation that it should read differently.

Here it is again....

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation
to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Here is what some convey by what they say they think...

For I am not ashamed of regeneration in Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation

That looks odd. And, it is.

But, essentially, that is how some claim we are saved...

grace and peace ................

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
That's not what it says. The Godly sorrow leads to repentance and salvation. That isn't what happened with Cain.
when ever God does not strike a person Dead he has shown them sorrow,

This is so simple my child understands.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
This life for the Christian is boot camp for eternity and it is knowing that God is sovereign in all things that they can endure all things with hope and joy knowing that His promises are sure.
It can seem that way... I suppose.

But when we are in eternity we will learn war no more.
Boot camp is preparatory for war...

Learning in church sound doctrine on a regular basis, is boot camp for the war we now will see in time..

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Some here by what they confess about salvation that it should read differently.

Here it is again....

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation

Here is what some convey by what they say they think...

For I am not ashamed of regeneration in Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation

That looks odd. And, it is.

But, essentially, that is how some claim we are saved...

grace and peace ................
That’s the goulash I referred to earlier. All Scripture has one primary meaning, with many applications.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
That’s the goulash I referred to earlier. All Scripture has one primary meaning, with many applications.
So what is the meaning of the lost sheep, lost coin and lost child? Are they related?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
instead of just repeating sorrow.

Why don't you explain exactly what God does to produce sorrow in a person before he repents.
Acts 2:37...when they heard this...He gives spiritual hearing or understanding, they were pricked in their hearts...He circumcises the heart, removing the heart of stone and gives a heart of flesh, and this affects the will...what shall we do?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Who was His audience, and why did He relate these stories?
Publicans and sinners were the predominant audience. The purpose was to teach about the nature and provision of salvation.
This would have been a much different understanding than a group of Jewish publicans and sinners were used to hearing. The religious leaders had already given up on such people, as in verse 2 they indicate that they wouldn't receive such and eat with them. They in fact were held in contempt by the religious leaders who held out no hope for them. Jesus, on the other hand, came for people like them and the parable He tells would have encouraged them that there is a gracious and loving Father who welcomes even sinners such as them.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
So what is the meaning of the lost sheep, lost coin and lost child? Are they related?
There is a recent entry explaining the woman and the lost coin that I've kept in mind because I couldn't see reason to reject the idea. I wish I could remember exactly where so I could link it here, but it had to do with something along the idea that the coin representing a significant portion of her person and, if there is a common thread within these three parables, then a theme of wholeness would certainly qualify in each of them. The Shepard, the woman, and the prodigal's father all rejoice when the whole, all his sheep, all her coins, and both his sons (he reminds his begrudging son that he's been with him all along, i.e. that he'd been loved just as much), are reunited, and wholeness is restored.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
But the gospel alone doesn't save. If it did, there would be a lot more saved people.
Who said that the Gospel "saves"? The Gospel generates saving faith (Rom 10:17). But all will not believe. Many will resist the convincing and conviction of the Holy Spirit. Some perhaps at the beginning, and some even after many opportunities to repent. But only those who obey the Gospel are saved by grace through FAITH (Eph 2:8,9). And that is why we have Christ's commands to go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature. He that believes is saved, but he that does not believe is damned (Mark 16:15,16). However God wants ALL MEN to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth (1 Tim 2:3,4).

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Acts 2:37...when they heard this...He gives spiritual hearing or understanding, they were pricked in their hearts...He circumcises the heart, removing the heart of stone and gives a heart of flesh, and this affects the will...what shall we do?
So you are saying that Godly sorrow makes repentance,

They where spoke to by an apostle who told them they a story that made them have sorrow.

The sorrow they experienced was there own sorrow.

I take it you do know distress is sorrow.

It no different to the holy spirit convicting the whole world of sin

The whole world is without excuse, and they will all feel distress for there sin

But Not all will repent.

The same as the the seed that is given to all. Not all will accept the seed.

They said what should we do, which means they all had be told what to do.

They then had to be baptised for themselves, or chose not to

Does everyone choose to get baptised

Well no they don't .

Infact many people in these forums call it not necessary for anything.

Or argue it just act of symbolism.

When no it's a commandment to walk in obedience

Then There's the message to the saved people of the church being told unless thou repent thou will have thou candle stick removed.

Obviously they had not repented because they where not listening to there pricked heart, and had to be told.