Predestination is misunderstood...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Ok Cameron, its not my reasoning. But never mind.

God said if you eat from that tree you would surly die.

Now tell me Cameron if they had lusted in there hearts to eat from it would they have died.

It says if you eat from it, which means after you've ate from it, you will die.

Is that simple enough for you.

So what caused them to die.
Their disobedience, putting their will above Gods. Sinning.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Their disobedience, putting their will above Gods. Sinning.
I don't know you from Adam 😊

Excuse the pun.

Q1
Do you believe Adam and eve where tempted together at the same time.

Q2

Do you believe Adam and eve where made to stumble before the ate

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
I don't think you read what he said. He basically said the same thing you did. You're a strange duck, Paul Thomson. :)

🥞
No. He conflated redemption /atonement, justification and salvation .

He says Abraham was redeemed (Was he redeemed? I say, “Yes, of course he was.) and justified (Was Abraham a believer? I say, “Yes, of course he was) .

R. C. Sproul: How were the people in the Old Testament redeemed? How were they saved? Did Abraham go to heaven? Was Abraham a believer? Was he redeemed? I say, “Yes, of course he was. The New Testament labors that point.”

He says Abraham was saved (So, how were they saved, if they were saved? Well, Paul, in his epistle to the Romans, again, uses Abraham as an example of people in the Old Testament who were saved, )
He says that seved and justified are the same thing (Well, Paul, in his epistle to the Romans, again, uses Abraham as an example of people in the Old Testament who were saved, not by obeying the works of the law, not through the rites and the rituals of the sacrifices of the liturgy of Israel, but Abraham was justified by faith.) .

R. C. Sproul: They say, “Well, how could the people in the Old Testament be redeemed when Christ hadn’t come yet? There was no cross. There was no atonement. How could they possibly be redeemed when the Bible tells us that the blood of bulls and goats, all of the trappings of the Old Testament sacrificial system, could not in and of themselves save?”
So, how were they saved, if they were saved? Well, Paul, in his epistle to the Romans, again, uses Abraham as an example of people in the Old Testament who were saved, not by obeying the works of the law, not through the rites and the rituals of the sacrifices of the liturgy of Israel, but Abraham was justified by faith.

He thinks salvation, redemption and justification are all the same thing and happened together when Abraham believed God and it was reckoned ti Him as righteousness. (And my students look at me, and they say, “How could he be justified by faith when he hadn’t even heard about Jesus? What was the basis of Abraham’s salvation?” Well, the basis of Abraham’s salvation was the work of Jesus Christ. Abraham was saved exactly the same way you are saved, with one significant difference. Abraham’s faith was in a promise that was not yet fulfilled. Our faith is in the promise that has been fulfilled. Abraham and the Old Testament saints looked ahead into the future for their awaited Messiah, their awaited Redeemer. We look backwards to the past to the One who has come.}

I said Abraham was justified when he believed, but he was redeemed/his sins atoned for at the cross and he will be fully saved only at the resurrection.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It's in the Bible and my Elder did preach a sermon on the topic. So I can report anyone who preaches a false gospel, and my Elder will contact the person and charge them with the offense.

If that person confesses their error and accepts correction, then that's the end of the mater, but if they don't he will approach his Church counsel and notify them. Then they will have to correct him or excommunicate him
I'm sure you're a delight in person too.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
When David prayed in Psalm 51:10, "create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me" this displayed three things: his acknowledgment that he, his core being, was a sinner; his repentance, in turning to God, he displayed faith in God's ability to resurrect a new spirit with in him. Only a cleansed heart can decide (literally 'to cut off') so clean does not necessarily denote sinless because at this point, the cleansing enables the individual to "decide" between the choices of cutting off oneself for God or to cut off God for oneself (this is by grace); and three, he displayed his decision for God asking for a right spirit (this is through faith).

Psalm 51:10 + 13
:)

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Matthew 18:10

King James Version

10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Just for you Charly the king James version your favourite,

What this is saying is all children are given a guardian angel at birth for protection as they grow.

This is all people being worthy of Gods grace

You are taking Matt 18:10 out of context. The little ones in verse 10 has reference to the little ones that believe in Jesus (Matt 18:6) not all little ones.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Try reading a whole sentence at a time.

John 3:18 "He that is believing (pisteuOn: present active participle) on [Christ] is not condemned (krinetai: present passive indicative);" - just as I said.
"but he that is not believing (mE pisteuOn: present active participle has been condemned (krinetai: perfect passive indicative) already," - just I I said. And why has he been condemned already?
"because He has not believed (pepisteuken: perfect active indicative, A COMPETED ACTION WHOSE EFFECT IS CONTINUING INTO THE PRESENT) in the name of the only-begotten Son of God." - just as I said. The only sin that condemns is not believing and continuing to believe in Christ Jesus.
The only reason for condemnation given here is refusal to believe in Jesus.
But you fail to see the point

They are condemned ALREADY

You can keep trying to put that present tense in there all you want. A person who truly trusts God does not change their mind and repent back to a state of unbelief again.

No matter how powerful you think you are.. You have no power to save you or keep yourself saved.

And God does nto make mistakes

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Abraham was justified by faith. He was not saved from mortality when he believed.
Paul would disagree with you, (romans 4) he not only said abraham was saved, he said we today are saved by that same faith

Rom 4: 16 Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be [d]sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all 17 (as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations”) in the presence of Him whom he believed—God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did; 18 who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, “So shall your descendants be.” 19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. 20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22 And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.”

23 Now it was not written for his sake alone that it was imputed to him, 24 but also for us. It shall be imputed to us who believe in Him who raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead, 25 who was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised because of our justification.

Salvation and atonement/justification are not the same thing in the Bible. That is why it is e=wise not to conflate them and then build doctrines on the conflation.
That is not wise to claim this.

I am saved because I am justified. if I am not justifed. I have not been rescued (saved) I am still lost.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
From R.C. Sproul:

How were the people in the Old Testament redeemed? How were they saved? Did Abraham go to heaven? Was Abraham a believer? Was he redeemed? I say, “Yes, of course he was. The New Testament labors that point.” They say, “Well, how could the people in the Old Testament be redeemed when Christ hadn’t come yet? There was no cross. There was no atonement. How could they possibly be redeemed when the Bible tells us that the blood of bulls and goats, all of the trappings of the Old Testament sacrificial system, could not in and of themselves save?” So, how were they saved, if they were saved? Well, Paul, in his epistle to the Romans, again, uses Abraham as an example of people in the Old Testament who were saved, not by obeying the works of the law, not through the rites and the rituals of the sacrifices of the liturgy of Israel, but Abraham was justified by faith. And my students look at me, and they say, “How could he be justified by faith when he hadn’t even heard about Jesus? What was the basis of Abraham’s salvation?” Well, the basis of Abraham’s salvation was the work of Jesus Christ. Abraham was saved exactly the same way you are saved, with one significant difference. Abraham’s faith was in a promise that was not yet fulfilled. Our faith is in the promise that has been fulfilled. Abraham and the Old Testament saints looked ahead into the future for their awaited Messiah, their awaited Redeemer. We look backwards to the past to the One who has come.

I referenced R.C. Sproul because he explained it pretty well, much better than I would have.

🥞
You beat me to it!!

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
They dont believe because Christ didnt die for them as He did His Sheep Jn 10:26

26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

Believing in Christ comes with the fact He died for you. So if one never believes, its because He never died for them taking away their sins. See His Death takes away sin and its awful consequences 1 Jn 3:5

And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Unbelief is the consequences of sin
Dude.

Stop thinki9ng you are so special

And stop trying to make a doctrine out of one small verses in bible with millions of verses.

God is not a respecter of persons./ he offers all salvation, And he demands we make a choice..

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Give me a scripture that says Adam and Eve were predestined to hell. God did not predestine anyone to hell. The ones that are going to hell choose that by their actions.
Predestination

when you pray the father knows the things you need before you ask him

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Abraham was justified by faith. He was not saved from mortality when he believed. Salvation and atonement/justification are not the same thing in the Bible. That is why it is e=wise not to conflate them and then build doctrines on the conflation.
I think we could also ask is this eternal life salvation? There is a range of meanings in scripture for saved and context helps determine it.

Like in Matthew where it states those who endure to the end shall be saved, this is physically saved.

I agree Sproul is conflating.

Rondonmon

May 13, 2016
"For He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless in His presence." Ephesians 1:4
Is Moses saved? Yes.....
Is David saved? Yes.....
Is Isaiah saved? Yes....

Were they chosen to be the body of Christ? To be His Church?
No....
Yes, Jesus was I AM........Jesus was in the Desert with Israel, Paul said he was that Rock that followed them everywhere..........In Dan. 12 Jesus was the Man in Linen.........In Gen. 18 and 19 Jesus was the man Abraham called the Lord.

Jesus comes from the Hebrew word Yeshua, meaning Salvation. In many places in the old testament when the English speaks about "SALVATION" in a personhood sort of way as in my Salvation (Yeshua) its speaking about Jesus. This goes right over peoples heads. One passage as one patriarch was dying he said "My Salvation" (Yeshua) will carry me across the river.

Those men you named believed on the ONE TO COME, that was their Salvation. The seed whose heel would be bruised, but who would stomp on the head of the serpent. That is why Revelation says he was crucified before the foundations of the earth was ever laid.

That is what Predestination REALLY MEANS, if one reads Paul properly he is saying Jesus was PREDESTINED to be a SACRIFICE, therefore we are predestined unto Salvation in Christ Jesus, that does not mean that we have to accept that free gift, God knowing all things predestined us unto salvation in Christ because He foreknew we would fall.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
why do you tamper with what I have written?

If you can't see that then you do not yet understand the cross of Christ and how unworthy you are of His grace.
predestination 😊

When you pray the father knows the things you need before you ask him

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Give me a scripture that says Adam and Eve were predestined to hell. God did not predestine anyone to hell. The ones that are going to hell choose that by their actions.
nobody chooses to go to hell.

God decides if they Go to hell.

But what you can choose is to be in hell with somebody.

It's called a living hell.

It's where you pluck somebody out of the fire.

But thanks for your correct answer that God does not predestine people to hell.

I was believing you where once a Calvinist.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
The biblical doctrine of predestination grants joy to the true Christian that their salvation is secured by Him who is the Author and Finisher of their faith. It is only those who argue for their supposed free will and refuse to submit to God's sovereignty in all things and have not been humbled that hate this doctrine.

God's goodness is not just seen in His mercy but also in His perfectly, righteous and holy justice. If you can't see that then you do not yet understand the cross of Christ and how unworthy you are of His grace.

View attachment 262660
Matthew 11:29

New International Version

Jesus said

29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
nobody chooses to go to hell.

God decides if they Go to hell.

But what you can choose is to be in hell with somebody.

It's called a living hell.

It's where you pluck somebody out of the fire.

But thanks for your correct answer that God does not predestine people to hell.

I was believing you where once a Calvinist.

Sorry, I cannot follow your line of thinking without some scripture references.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
I don't know you from Adam 😊

Excuse the pun.

Q1
Do you believe Adam and eve where tempted together at the same time.

Q2

Do you believe Adam and eve where made to stumble before the ate
The text says that Eve was tempted and ate before Adam and that she went to him after, so I do not think it was at the exact same time.

I do not believe Adam nor Eve was "MADE" to do anything. I think they chose to disobey. Did they stumble on their way to sinning? I believe that would be a necessity to be honest. If they were steadfast in their faith in God they wouldn't have been deceived.
I believe the moment they took they bite and ate was the exact time they fell. The second they DID the only thing God commanded them not to do was when they fell, so wasn't at the exact same time according to Gen. I do not believe the "stumbling" was the sin. If that's what you're asking. Why, what do you think?