Privacy Dilema

  • Thread starter Thread starter kaylagrl
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kaylagrl

Guest
When we moved into our home we had no neighbors on one side and older neighbors on the other. Since then a younger couple has moved in next to us and I get the feeling they are going to want to have parties this summer. I have a large backyard and we were able to put up a privacy fence,but because the backyard is downhill the fence provided only some privacy. At the back of the yard another neighbor has built a huge chicken coop that can be seen over the fence. Whoever cleared these properties took down all the trees so when I step put on my deck I can see six backyards down with nothing blocking my view. I really would like to have more privacy but dont know the best way to do it. I thought of planting trees but they take forever to grow. Any suggestions would really help.Thanks.
 
Hybrid Poplar, and Hybrid Willow trees actually grow pretty quick, 5-8 feet per year. I just wouldn't plant them close to the house as they are susceptible to wind damage.
 
Hybrid Poplar, and Hybrid Willow trees actually grow pretty quick, 5-8 feet per year. I just wouldn't plant them close to the house as they are susceptible to wind damage.

Thanks! I'll have to check them out. And they wouldn't be close to the house at all so that just may work!
 
I don't know how tall they come, but many botanists sell these... hummm... bamboo (or similar, thin rods) "mats" that can be used as a flimsy fence (at least until you get something more permanent)
 
When we moved into our home we had no neighbors on one side and older neighbors on the other. Since then a younger couple has moved in next to us and I get the feeling they are going to want to have parties this summer. I have a large backyard and we were able to put up a privacy fence,but because the backyard is downhill the fence provided only some privacy. At the back of the yard another neighbor has built a huge chicken coop that can be seen over the fence. Whoever cleared these properties took down all the trees so when I step put on my deck I can see six backyards down with nothing blocking my view. I really would like to have more privacy but dont know the best way to do it. I thought of planting trees but they take forever to grow. Any suggestions would really help.Thanks.

Hi Kayla,
The Leyland Cypress might be a good choice. You would have privacy all year long.

leyland.jpg
 

Hi Kayla,
The Leyland Cypress might be a good choice. You would have privacy all year long.

View attachment 169286


That looks like a good barrier. I dont know why the cut all the trees down on the properties.There is no wind breaker at all and everything blows around everyones back yards. Thank you I'll have to look at my local stores for these.
 
I don't know how tall they come, but many botanists sell these... hummm... bamboo (or similar, thin rods) "mats" that can be used as a flimsy fence (at least until you get something more permanent)


I do have a fence but because the backyard is sloped it doesn't give as much privacy as it should. I added a piece to my deck and got them to build it a step down so that helps. But still everyone can see into the backyard and Id just like more privacy.
 
Be careful of trees, too close to the house or trees too big with long roots, they can
dry the soil out around the foundations of walls and houses.

A friend planted some leylandi trees around a garden wall, they grow 3 foot each year
and didn't get trimmed. A few years later they were monsters and the wall fell down.

Bamboo is a food idea, get a clump forming type though as otherwise it can get
out of control.

For this year you could try planting giant sun flowers, we grow them one year they were like
10 feet tall so we had a barrier of giant sun flowers. :) I started them off in
pots in the house danger of frost was past and they were about 4 inch tall, I planted
them out.
 
Our previous house was also build on a slope and our swimming pool was at the front of the property. We build a wall (that would make Mr Trump proud) and some places it reached 10 feet (because of the slope). A wall would be expensive but that is what we did for privacy at out pool area :)
 
Our previous house was also build on a slope and our swimming pool was at the front of the property. We build a wall (that would make Mr Trump proud) and some places it reached 10 feet (because of the slope). A wall would be expensive but that is what we did for privacy at out pool area :)

Wow you had a pool! We don't even have a bath in my house (it got replaced with a
wet floor shower room).
 
Be careful of trees, too close to the house or trees too big with long roots, they can
dry the soil out around the foundations of walls and houses.

A friend planted some leylandi trees around a garden wall, they grow 3 foot each year
and didn't get trimmed. A few years later they were monsters and the wall fell down.

Bamboo is a food idea, get a clump forming type though as otherwise it can get
out of control.

For this year you could try planting giant sun flowers, we grow them one year they were like
10 feet tall so we had a barrier of giant sun flowers. :) I started them off in
pots in the house danger of frost was past and they were about 4 inch tall, I planted
them out.


I do really like sunflowers. But we get full sun most of the day on that side of the house and its really hot here.Not sure they would survive 90 + for 8hrs a day. I may have to check it out.
 
Thanks for the advice everyone! Im going to have to look into these this weekend. :)
 
Be careful of trees, too close to the house or trees too big with long roots, they can
dry the soil out around the foundations of walls and houses.

A friend planted some leylandi trees around a garden wall, they grow 3 foot each year
and didn't get trimmed. A few years later they were monsters and the wall fell down.

Bamboo is a food idea, get a clump forming type though as otherwise it can get
out of control.

For this year you could try planting giant sun flowers, we grow them one year they were like
10 feet tall so we had a barrier of giant sun flowers. :) I started them off in
pots in the house danger of frost was past and they were about 4 inch tall, I planted
them out.
Yes, what i had in mind was the bamboos, if those fit in your climate and preference, kayla. Love the sound of the leaves in the wind, wc could also block some of the unwanted noises/sounds. Some bamboos do grow very fast.

As to the giant sunflowers, where do u get them, miri? I should have those!
 
Last edited:
The best time to plant trees is twenty years ago. The second-best time is now. :)
 
I don't know if you live in the south, but red bud trees grow quickly here. Crepe myrtles grow quickly, but their trunks are not very thick and might not be much of a barrier (though very beautiful in bloom). Boxwood does well here. It doesn't have to be cut into a rectangle, English style. It can be let to grow and can get very tall. I like the way boxwood smells (spicy, peppery scent).

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/

EASTERN-REDBUD_350_THUMB.jpg

Eastern redbud tree- grows fast, low maintenance.

Japanese%20boxwood.jpg
Boxwood, grows fast. You don't have to cut it way down, like people generally do. It will make a thick hedge.
 
This is always my choice whenever I need privacy...

or when I'm hiding my plane in the jungle.

With one eye, you lack the depth perception to fly a plane with any skill. You wouldn't pass the FAA physical. No judgment because it doesn't stop me either, but...shame, shame, shame.
 
Yes, what i had in mind was the bamboos, if those fit in your climate and preference, kayla. Love the sound of the leaves in the wind, wc could also block some of the unwanted noises/sounds. Some bamboos do grow very fast.

As to the giant sunflowers, where do u get them, miri? I should have those!


I just buy packets of seed from a garden centre, although various other shops also
sell plants and seeds as well.


maxresdefault.jpg