B
BradC
Guest
If we were asked to give the greatest proof possible that the scriptures can be trusted, what would that proof be? Does the proof that you offer require faith or is it evidenced by what has been seen?
If we were asked to give the greatest proof possible that the scriptures can be trusted, what would that proof be? Does the proof that you offer require faith or is it evidenced by what has been seen?
Jesus on the cross ... the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Both
Many people from many other religions have 'eye witness accounts' and have died for their gods too.
Does that make all of them true too?
To die for a false god is the act of a foolish man.
To die for a false god is the act of a foolish man.
For me, I think the thing that makes me trust the Scriptures so much is that these are real people who gave their lives for what they KNEW they had seen Christ do and say. No one would die for a lie; it profits no one. This along with the fulfillment of prophecies, the historical and archeological accuracy of the Bible, the fact that the Bible has remained unaltered for thousands of years, creationism and intelligent design do fit in with what we know of science, and also the fact that there's nothing in the Bible that has or can be falsified and proven to be untrue gives me all the faith I need.
But like I said, what really gets me is that the apostles/disciples actually gave their lives for their testimonies of Christ; they had nothing to gain from lying about Jesus and being killed for it - time and time again they were given the chance to renounce their claims and testimonies of Christ, but they stuck to it and were willing to die because they KNEW what they saw!
I'm not sure an unbeliever would call this "proof" but it's certainly convincing to me.
"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
Matthew 16:18
The existence of the one, holy, catholic and apostalic church is the only physical evidence that the Holy Scripture is true.
NOT! (more than ten characters now)
Well you know, some extreme Muslims would give their lives in bombings for what they believe - doesn't make it true. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, lol, just showing that there is a hole in that argument.