Prophecy warfare

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I'm not the only person in the world who believe a Jezebel is an unclean spirit.
Why well There is no living person called Jezebell.
Just like there is no living person called Lucifer.
I looked up the meaning of the word 'Jezebel', and it means something like pure, virginal, chaste.

Many years ago, I started to hear this strange-sounding teaching about the "Jezebel spirit." It had little to do with the references to Jezebel in the Bible, in a lot of cases. Some Charismatic types use 'spirit' to refer, in some cases, to a kind of spiritual condition or situation and say 'spirit of religion' or 'spirit of rejection.' Other Charismatics say the same thing and mean some kind of demon and/or principality. The 'Jezebel spirit' teaching evolved into this idea of a great principality, a powerful fallen angel. Someone on a Charismatic forum was posting this fallen angel might even be more powerful than Satan.

The 'Jezebel spirit' stuff in the 1990's and early 2000's (a fad at the time) never sat well with me. It's not in the book of Revelation. The passage is about 'that woman Jezebel', someone misleading God's people, and similarities with the Old Testament Jezebel are there in the passage-- teaching God's people to fornicate and to eat meat offered to idols. Those are two aspects of Baal religion. Earlier in the passage in Revelation, the same problem is associated with the way of Baalam. He was the mastermind behind the Baal of Peor incident, where the men were enticed into idolatry with food and fornication.

My question back then was since this stuff wasn't taught in the Bible, who gave the prophecy that there was a 'Jezebel spirit' so that we can judge the prophecy. Who was the author or preacher or whoever who anounced that there was a great principality named Jezebel? To point out the problem with the fuzzy interpretation of Jezebel in Revelation, I would say I do not believe that the ghost of a dead Canaanite woman is causing all these problems.

All this seemed to coincide with a movement toward trying to solve problems in society and problems the church faced by trying to rebuke principalities out of the heavenlies. The book of Jude actually warns of not speaking evil of dignitaries, and gives Michael not harshly rebuking Satan as a counter-example. One of the methods of this method of so-called 'spiritual warfare' was to look at the problems in a city, make up a principality to be behind the problem, and to rebuke it and try to cast it down out of the heavenlies. If there is a lot of adultery, some of them would 'come against' the 'spirit of adultery.' I even heard someone speak against 'roh macet' -- the 'spirit of traffice jams' when I was in Indonesia.

I noticed in some of the Charismatic and 'prophetic movement' -the latter of which kind of morphed into 'signs and wonders' movement, a lot of the doctrine seems to come from what the preacher says or what other preachers are saying, and light use of scripture. I was raised Pentecostal, which relied heavily on the Bible. With Pentecostals and other denominations, how to interpret the Bible might be heavily influenced by how it is interpreted in the denomination.

Regarding 'Lucifer.' There is one passage that mentions the word in the KJV. The Latin word, in that passage, for the morning star was used in the KJV. Lucifer does show up elsewhere.

In the old Latin Vulgate of II Peter 2:19, the word Lucifer is used positively, the verse about the Daystar arising in your hearts, which many take to refer to Christ.

2 Peter 1:19 - et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem cui bene facitis adtendentes quasi lucernae lucenti in caliginoso loco donec dies inlucescat et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestris

The idea that the Lucifer passage is a passage about the Devil is strongly embraced interpretive tradition. If we read the passage, it says it is about the King of Babylon.

In Ireland when people behave in adulterous way they get called a Jezebel.
Is it clear that Jezebel was sleeping around, or was she just promoting it by promoting Baal worship? Btw, what is folk law? Is that Irish English for folklore?

presidente

May 29, 2013
ok I didn't know this brother thanks,
Wow 7000, why where so many needed brother.
But you do see that some had bowed down to baal.

That's what I was trying to tell Dino.
I thought Dino was saying no prophets had defected to baal.
There were 7000 who did not bow down to Baal. It did not say 7000 _prophets._ You can find this in I Kings 19:18 and look at the surrounding context. Paul quotes this in Romans 11, and in the Greek translated back into English it say seven thousand men. he doesn't say seven thousand prophets.

That's not saying there couldn't have been thousands of prophets in the Old Testament. Obadaiah hid 100 prophets in a cave when Jezebel was killing them. There was a company of sons of the prophets around Elijah later in his ministry. Most prophets are probably not mentioned by name in the Bible. There were also prophets in the church. So there could have been thousands in Biblical times.

There were also hundreds of prophets prophesying to Ahab what he wanted to hear. After the people said, "The LORD, He is God" and Elijah had the prophets of Baal killed, it may be that false court prophets would prophesy in the name of the LORD instead of Baal. But Jehoshaphat did not acknowledge Ahab's prophets as prophets of the LORD, and Ahab said there waa one prophet of the Lord, and imprisoned him for giving a prophecy that he did not like.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
I looked up the meaning of the word 'Jezebel', and it means something like pure, virginal, chaste.

Many years ago, I started to hear this strange-sounding teaching about the "Jezebel spirit." It had little to do with the references to Jezebel in the Bible, in a lot of cases. Some Charismatic types use 'spirit' to refer, in some cases, to a kind of spiritual condition or situation and say 'spirit of religion' or 'spirit of rejection.' Other Charismatics say the same thing and mean some kind of demon and/or principality. The 'Jezebel spirit' teaching evolved into this idea of a great principality, a powerful fallen angel. Someone on a Charismatic forum was posting this fallen angel might even be more powerful than Satan.

The 'Jezebel spirit' stuff in the 1990's and early 2000's (a fad at the time) never sat well with me. It's not in the book of Revelation. The passage is about 'that woman Jezebel', someone misleading God's people, and similarities with the Old Testament Jezebel are there in the passage-- teaching God's people to fornicate and to eat meat offered to idols. Those are two aspects of Baal religion. Earlier in the passage in Revelation, the same problem is associated with the way of Baalam. He was the mastermind behind the Baal of Peor incident, where the men were enticed into idolatry with food and fornication.

My question back then was since this stuff wasn't taught in the Bible, who gave the prophecy that there was a 'Jezebel spirit' so that we can judge the prophecy. Who was the author or preacher or whoever who anounced that there was a great principality named Jezebel? To point out the problem with the fuzzy interpretation of Jezebel in Revelation, I would say I do not believe that the ghost of a dead Canaanite woman is causing all these problems.

All this seemed to coincide with a movement toward trying to solve problems in society and problems the church faced by trying to rebuke principalities out of the heavenlies. The book of Jude actually warns of not speaking evil of dignitaries, and gives Michael not harshly rebuking Satan as a counter-example. One of the methods of this method of so-called 'spiritual warfare' was to look at the problems in a city, make up a principality to be behind the problem, and to rebuke it and try to cast it down out of the heavenlies. If there is a lot of adultery, some of them would 'come against' the 'spirit of adultery.' I even heard someone speak against 'roh macet' -- the 'spirit of traffice jams' when I was in Indonesia.

I noticed in some of the Charismatic and 'prophetic movement' -the latter of which kind of morphed into 'signs and wonders' movement, a lot of the doctrine seems to come from what the preacher says or what other preachers are saying, and light use of scripture. I was raised Pentecostal, which relied heavily on the Bible. With Pentecostals and other denominations, how to interpret the Bible might be heavily influenced by how it is interpreted in the denomination.

Regarding 'Lucifer.' There is one passage that mentions the word in the KJV. The Latin word, in that passage, for the morning star was used in the KJV. Lucifer does show up elsewhere.

In the old Latin Vulgate of II Peter 2:19, the word Lucifer is used positively, the verse about the Daystar arising in your hearts, which many take to refer to Christ.

2 Peter 1:19 - et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem cui bene facitis adtendentes quasi lucernae lucenti in caliginoso loco donec dies inlucescat et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestris

The idea that the Lucifer passage is a passage about the Devil is strongly embraced interpretive tradition. If we read the passage, it says it is about the King of Babylon.

Is it clear that Jezebel was sleeping around, or was she just promoting it by promoting Baal worship? Btw, what is folk law? Is that Irish English for folklore?
folk law ancient Irish tradition of wisdom possibly delivered by st Patrick

Folk law not biblical but could be a message delivered after the cross.

Yes of course friend the bible says the children of satan will be struck dead and the children of Jezebel will be struck dead.

But anyway I'm more in favour of thinking it's what ever spirit of satan or the Jezebels a person displays will be struck dead,

But thanks for long explanation I'll give it some more thought soon.

But really Its only something trivial to me but a long drawn out explanation deserves one back.
But I have to dash now
But I may change the subject. Mercy homme au revoir 😊

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Thankyou for your disagreement I will add it to my pea brain mercy homme 😊
It appears that you simply disregard and ignore any comment that you don't like, instead of trying to learn and correct your beliefs and behaviour.

Also, what is "mercy homme"? Some wacky mishmash of English and French? In the context you've used it, it looks like your attempt to say, "Thanks, man" in French. If so, then it would be "Merci, monsieur"... with the punctuation.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
folk law ancient Irish tradition of wisdom possibly delivered by st Patrick

Folk law not biblical but could be a message delivered after the cross.

Yes of course friend the bible says the children of satan will be struck dead and the children of Jezebel will be struck dead.

But anyway I'm more in favour of thinking it's what ever spirit of satan or the Jezebels a person displays will be struck dead,

But thanks for long explanation I'll give it some more thought soon.

But really Its only something trivial to me but a long drawn out explanation deserves one back.
But I have to dash now
But I may change the subject. Mercy homme au revoir 😊
mercy homme au revoir.

I speak French it means.

Compassion Thankyou man goodbye. 😊 Au revoir mercy homme.

I'm happy to disagree to your welcome 😊.

It's a pleasure to see fruits in disagreement. Au revoir😊

presidente

May 29, 2013
I counted 40 prophets mentioned by name in the Old Testament in this article: https://www.gotquestions.org/prophets-in-the-Bible.html

The article counts a number of people not called 'prophets' in scripture like Jacob, Saul, Solomon, and the sons of Asaph, and the seventy elders. The author counted those who prophesied as prophets, so he has more people listed. Prophesying wasn't my criteria. Being called a prophet is. Working by memory, I skimmed down and excluded those not mentioned as prophets in scripture. I included David which the NT calls a prophet. It's pretty cool if the number is 40. It's possible I miscounted or excluded someone who is called a prophet or assumed an author of one of the minor prophets is called a prophet when he is not. I left out 'unnamed prophets' from my count.

Those are mentioned by name. Then there were also 70 prophets who met Saul, 100 hidden in a cave, an unnumbered company of the sons of the prophets, and we don't know the ones who are not mentioned. I recall a couple of unnamed prophets. There was the man of God from Judah. Then there were unnamed prophets in the New Testament. Post-ascension, aside from Judas, Silas, and Agabus, prophets are mentioned but not named. God revealed the mystery of the Gentiles to apostles and prophets. Speaking of the church/assembly, scripture commands to let the prophets speak. The apostles named a man called Joseph as Barnabas-- son of prophecy, but interpreted as son of encouragement in Acts. It is possible that he was a prophet, but it doesn't specifically say that.

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
mercy homme au revoir.

I speak French it means.

Compassion Thankyou man goodbye. 😊 Au revoir mercy homme.

I'm happy to disagree to your welcome 😊.

It's a pleasure to see fruits in disagreement. Au revoir😊
lol, I am french speaking, I certify that the little french you think you have is atrocious

Merci et au revoir!

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
lol, I am french speaking, I certify that the little french you think you have is atrocious

Merci et au revoir!
I know I always do forget the I when I spell mercy Lol but we should definitely stay feminine over that one. I write to quick without checking android predictions.

merci homme au revoir. 😊
I am quite fluent to.

But back to @presidente I wasn't disrespecting him I like him. I Will give him some more time soon. Au revoir 😊

ThyKingdomComeSoon

Apr 1, 2023
I know I always do forget the I when I spell mercy Lol but we should definitely stay feminine over that one. I write to quick without checking android predictions.

merci homme au revoir. 😊
I am quite fluent to.

But back to @presidente I wasn't disrespecting him I like him. I Will give him some more time soon. Au revoir 😊
Hey fundaamental, here is a tool i use often to translate, it gives a good approximation;
https://www.reverso.net/traduction-texte

à bientôt. ""see you soon""

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
There were 7000 who did not bow down to Baal. It did not say 7000 _prophets._ You can find this in I Kings 19:18 and look at the surrounding context. Paul quotes this in Romans 11, and in the Greek translated back into English it say seven thousand men. he doesn't say seven thousand prophets.

That's not saying there couldn't have been thousands of prophets in the Old Testament. Obadaiah hid 100 prophets in a cave when Jezebel was killing them. There was a company of sons of the prophets around Elijah later in his ministry. Most prophets are probably not mentioned by name in the Bible. There were also prophets in the church. So there could have been thousands in Biblical times.

There were also hundreds of prophets prophesying to Ahab what he wanted to hear. After the people said, "The LORD, He is God" and Elijah had the prophets of Baal killed, it may be that false court prophets would prophesy in the name of the LORD instead of Baal. But Jehoshaphat did not acknowledge Ahab's prophets as prophets of the LORD, and Ahab said there waa one prophet of the Lord, and imprisoned him for giving a prophecy that he did not like.
salut l'ami (hello friend).😊
Ok so my point was Elijah said he was the only prophet of the lord left, so where had all the prophets gone, my understanding was like you that the 7000 where not prophets but men untill I was made believe otherwise here from our minister friend.

I was pointing out that perhaps some of them prophets that where left, defected to baal.
I was asked for proof of that, but the only proof I could find was in a different passage of time.
Where the lord said even in my house I have found wickedness amongst my prophets.
But we have to point out, they where just people, the true prophet was the holy spirit visiting them temporarily to prophesies through them.
They where called prophets only for that reason.
Just like a minister is called to preach. It's is the holy spirit that leads him to minister.
Just like the husband honouring a marriage to the bride.
The holy spirit will lead him.

I never had any doubts in my mind that the prophets where so fearful of Baals group they where hiding and defecting causing Gods people to be of two opinions,
Again this one got disagreed with.

What are we left with ?.

A whole to do about stupid Jezebels.

I'm not concerned about it.

Forget Jezebels (let's say unclean spirits instead).

The belief of Jezebels has been to tied into my mind. I can't just simply eradicate it.

Its time to let go friend, so I to just want to change the name Jezebel to stupid unclean spirits.

Unclean spirits want to kill the spirit of prophecy the prophetic nature in a Christian plain and simple as they did with all the prophets of the old t, apart from Elijah at that time even deceiving the prophets into defecting to baal, for the reason to stop people honouring the lord.

Why because understanding how easy it is in theese days to tap into your prohetic nature is what honours the lord in worship.

Of course unclean spirit don't want that and stay there are no more prophets which is totally false because that's like saying there is no more holy spirit.
Again the prophetic nature is for comfort to edify with correction.

Merci homme au revoir (thankyou man goodbye) 😊.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
we we we, I believe every Christian can reçieve prohetic word to encourage and comfort for edification of correction. 😊 Mercy homme.
It's not the prophet that is a prophet it's the holy spirit, which is not open for interpretation shalom and mercy homme 😊.
Fundaamental, there is a different to have the gift of prophecy as it is mention in the f.e. 1. Cor. 12. or have a word to encourage and comfort and edificate others. For that you need no special gift. But also of course can our heavenly father use us to encourage others with his word. And also this is no special gift.
The posts you gave talking about having a special gift of prophecy.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Fundaamental, there is a different to have the gift of prophecy as it is mention in the f.e. 1. Cor. 12. or have a word to encourage and comfort and edificate others. For that you need no special gift. But also of course can our heavenly father use us to encourage others with his word. And also this is no special gift.
Paul mentions gifts of prophecy, teaching and exhortation in Romans 12.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
@Fundamental! First you mangle English, et maintenant, le français, aussi? C'est horrible! Arrêtez ça, s'il vous plait!

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
@Fundamental! First you mangle English, et maintenant, le français, aussi? C'est horrible! Arrêtez ça, s'il vous plait!
Merci ma soeur je veux te dire mon amour pour mes freres et ma soeur.
(Thankyou sister I want to tell you my love for my brothers and sisters 🙂.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Mr minty wolf your not seeing it, when you edify it is for the church, and has come from Jesus.

All tho I can not detail this in every post I make, I can tell you for sure the fruits of the spirit are a receptor to Jesus.
Its your mobile phone.

You tap in you heart the door open, your words are met by Jesus our intercessor who then relates to the father,

Jesus then speaks to his fruits, your mobile phone stored in your heart and mind, you then edify the church.

There you have just received a prophetic word from Jesus, also it was his spirit you reçieved tied in with his prophecy for you on how to speak to his church to prevent calamity (The spirit of prophecy).

ZNP

Sep 14, 2020
Some of these Bible expositors are a little too high faluten for me.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
John wrote this verse about something he saw in his vision, apocalypse, revelation, that happened to him! JOHN. It was not written to all Christians, to the church, and certainly NOT to you.

Of course, we should never try & worship a man! Jesus replied to Satan, when he was being tempted, by quoting Deuteronomy!

"Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’" Luke 4:8; Deut 6:13 Also see: Matt 4:10

But, in NO way did Wolfwint ever say anything even close to anything about worshipping anyone except God. He has fallen down in front of no person!

So not only are you ripping things out of context in the Bible, you are slandering a strong Christian, who loves God and worships only him!

You are just an insulting person to do this. No prophet of God would ever lie like that!
That is incorrect.

You missed something REALLY big there.