Prophesying Forbidden

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To argue with you is quite pointless. We are certainly in the time when men will not endure sound doctrine but will heap to themselves teachers having itching ears. You cannot admit error you refuse to see.
That goes both ways. I see this kind of comment often on this site; it's fallacious, self-righteous, and arrogant. It does nothing to promote understanding or discussion, but instead shuts them down.

Mar 28, 2016
"the perfect is most probably" =meaning: I am not sure of what I just said. you only have 1 verse found in 1cor 13:10.
The error in this thinking or understanding is you have to make the Word of God not perfect when HE said it. meaning the Old Testament. Or it is incomplete is the other error. The canonizing of the scriptures happened when? both the Old and NEW were completely canonized by 250 AD. You have one to think the gifts of the Holy Spirit were ceased at this time? LOL wow. from 250AD to present, there were no gifts of the Holy Spirit in operation anymore as taught by Paul in 1cor chapter 12 through 14. That would be a very big uses of the gift of prophesying if that were true. Nothing could be further from the truth. Pride prevents people like this from admitting their error. .
It is a very big gift that keeps on giving, it keeps on ticking. Its a living work that works in the believer.. .Because it is true. Prophesying has not ceased just "new prophecy" . The book of the law has been made complete . There are no laws missing by which a person could know Him more adequately. Why would anyone need more than he has revealed other than pride through a what one called sign gift. like those added between the old and the new which took away from the whole at that time?

Mar 28, 2016
That goes both ways. I see this kind of comment often on this site; it's fallacious, self-righteous, and arrogant. It does nothing to promote understanding or discussion, but instead shuts them down.
How would the fact that God is no longer bringing new prophecy shuts some down? What would it be closing off. Outward sign as lying wonders.

The warning is below and the outcome (2 Thessalonians 2) God sending a strong delusion to those who do look to wonderments like falling backward to confirm their work of self edification..

Revelation 22: 18-19 I warn everyone who hears the words of prophecy in this book: If anyone adds anything to these, God will give that person the plagues written about in this book. And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of prophecy, God will take away that person’s share of the tree of life and of the holy city, which are written about in this book.

Why would a person desire to receive a strong delusion in exchange for a little fleshly wonderment or selfish false pride? Is it worth taking that chance? Or rather obey the commandment?

Thessalonians 2 2 : 9-11 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

notuptome

May 17, 2013
God expects me to declare the truth as I have received it. It is on the hearer to receive the truth. Only God can change your heart. Discussion that promotes error accomplishes nothing except to stir emotions and create strife. You as well as any other may make your opinions known. Some will follow and some will remain steadfast.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
How would the fact that God is no longer bringing new prophecy shuts some down? What would it be closing off. Outward sign as lying wonders.
Sadly, your question illustrates why it is challenging to discuss anything with you; you don't pay attention to relevant context.

Read the portion of Roger's post that I quoted; I quoted just that portion because I was responding to just that portion. I wasn't addressing his views on prophecy or on signs and wonders. My comment said nothing about those subjects at all.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
God expects me to declare the truth as I have received it. It is on the hearer to receive the truth. Only God can change your heart. Discussion that promotes error accomplishes nothing except to stir emotions and create strife. You as well as any other may make your opinions known. Some will follow and some will remain steadfast.
Fallacy: poisoning the well.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I am not making the common error of imputing to the word perfect a modern English definition. Perfect in this case refers to the completeness of the word of God not the Godly nature of the word. A good portion of the word of God had not yet been given when these verses were written.

To argue with you is quite pointless. We are certainly in the time when men will not endure sound doctrine but will heap to themselves teachers having itching ears. You cannot admit error you refuse to see.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
you're just wrong that all.

CS1

May 23, 2012

For the cause of Christ
Roger
the problem is you think you have the absolute truth and no one else could possibly know it. You think you are some kind of elite teacher with greater understanding than anyone else. You have admitted in the past that you have never been corrected in the Word of God. You are very prideful. I will pray for you.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I am not making the common error of imputing to the word perfect a modern English definition. Perfect in this case refers to the completeness of the word of God not the Godly nature of the word. A good portion of the word of God had not yet been given when these verses were written.

The thing is, you cannot prove your idea here. You can read it into the text and condemn someone who disagrees with you with unrighteous judgment.

Is there any hint in I Corinthians that Paul discusses a completed canon of scripture? No. Does this assumption fit the context? No.

I Corinthians 13
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Paul compares his speech, thought, and understanding before the perfect came to that of a child, whereas that afterward would be as an adults.

Did Paul's speech, thought, and understanding change into that of an adult's when Revelation was written? No. He was asleep in Christ. Paul makes the passage personally about him. He will, however, experience the resurrection.

Suppose you want to 'stretch' this passage. Can you say that the speech, thought, and understanding of believers who lived after Revelation was so advanced compared to 1st century Paul's that his seemed like that of a child?

Not only does that position put the reader in a superior position to the apostles who wrote scripture, but it also is not true. Many of us read Paul's writings as believers, and years later gain a deeper understanding of them as we continue to read. The light bulb goes off and we get a new insight that Paul clearly had before us...an area where he was more 'perfect' than we were in our understanding.

It also does not make sense that if a group of kindergarteners write a book for infants, and if the infants gain a copy of the book or read it all, that they will suddenly grow up in their understanding to be like adults. Making yourself out to be an adult in understanding and the apostles to be children is not a good way too look at the scriptures, either.

Ephesians 3:4
Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

The New Testament is written so that we might attain to the level of the understanding the apostles had of the mystery of Christ. There is no guarantee in it that we will make their understanding like that of a child's in comparison by reading the scriptures.

I Corinthians 1
4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;
5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;
6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Here, as Paul starts out a letter in which he will address a number of themes, he hints at some of the topics he will address in chapters 12 through 15. Chapter 12 teaches on spiritual gifts, while chapters 13 through 14 and especially 14 focus on tongues and prophesying-- utterance gifts. Notice all utterance and all knowledge and compare to knowledge, tongues, and prophecy in chapter 13.

Chapter 15 teaches about the resurrection of the dead at the return of the Lord Jesus (at his coming.) Paul also refers to the 'end' in chapter 15 when he writes 'and then cometh the end'-- a grammatically inflected form of the same Greek word used here in 1:8 (Strongs G5056.)

Here in chapter 1, we see writes of the Corinthian church and believers everywhere coming behind in no spiritual gift waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. This is the 'lens' or 'exegetical key' we should use to interpret chapter 13. We should not read in some later theory or concept that is not even hinted at in the whole book, as those who argue that he is writing about the completed canon do.

presidente

May 29, 2013
James referred to 'the perfect law of liberty' when he wrote his book, which was probably one of the earlier books written. The scriptures did not need to be written to make the gospel perfect. The message was put in written form for us so that we might have apostolic understanding of the mystery of Christ, not so that we could make their understanding into that of a child's by comparison.

Mar 28, 2016
The thing is, you cannot prove your idea here. You can read it into the text and condemn someone who disagrees with you with unrighteous judgment.

Is there any hint in I Corinthians that Paul discusses a completed canon of scripture? No. Does this assumption fit the context? No.

I Corinthians 13
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Paul compares his speech, thought, and understanding before the perfect came to that of a child, whereas that afterward would be as an adults.

Did Paul's speech, thought, and understanding change into that of an adult's when Revelation was written? No. He was asleep in Christ. Paul makes the passage personally about him. He will, however, experience the resurrection.

Suppose you want to 'stretch' this passage. Can you say that the speech, thought, and understanding of believers who lived after Revelation was so advanced compared to 1st century Paul's that his seemed like that of a child?

Not only does that position put the reader in a superior position to the apostles who wrote scripture, but it also is not true. Many of us read Paul's writings as believers, and years later gain a deeper understanding of them as we continue to read. The light bulb goes off and we get a new insight that Paul clearly had before us...an area where he was more 'perfect' than we were in our understanding.

It also does not make sense that if a group of kindergarteners write a book for infants, and if the infants gain a copy of the book or read it all, that they will suddenly grow up in their understanding to be like adults. Making yourself out to be an adult in understanding and the apostles to be children is not a good way too look at the scriptures, either.

Ephesians 3:4
Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

The New Testament is written so that we might attain to the level of the understanding the apostles had of the mystery of Christ. There is no guarantee in it that we will make their understanding like that of a child's in comparison by reading the scriptures.

I Corinthians 1
4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;
5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;
6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Here, as Paul starts out a letter in which he will address a number of themes, he hints at some of the topics he will address in chapters 12 through 15. Chapter 12 teaches on spiritual gifts, while chapters 13 through 14 and especially 14 focus on tongues and prophesying-- utterance gifts. Notice all utterance and all knowledge and compare to knowledge, tongues, and prophecy in chapter 13.

Chapter 15 teaches about the resurrection of the dead at the return of the Lord Jesus (at his coming.) Paul also refers to the 'end' in chapter 15 when he writes 'and then cometh the end'-- a grammatically inflected form of the same Greek word used here in 1:8 (Strongs G5056.)

Here in chapter 1, we see writes of the Corinthian church and believers everywhere coming behind in no spiritual gift waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. This is the 'lens' or 'exegetical key' we should use to interpret chapter 13. We should not read in some later theory or concept that is not even hinted at in the whole book, as those who argue that he is writing about the completed canon do.
It would seem you are getting different ends mixed up. The end you seem to be speaking of is the perfect new incorruptible body. No man has received that. Its our living hope that surpasses the hope of natural man. Its a hope that raises us up to the born again realm under the Sun as living hope of a new body.

The apostles have nothing to do with the understanding we receive from God's word. Why would some puff them up above that which is written? Did they provide something that was not first freely given to the from the hands of the Lord? We walk by faith the unseen.

1 Corinthians 4:5-7 King James Version (KJV)Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is
written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Its not the words of the apostle . But the perfect word of God as in complete word, as it is written. The warning given beforehand is after the promise of Joel. . . before the last words were spoken from heaven with John. If any man say Lo is Christ I had a dream, or a vison a out of the body experience . . . "believe not" .

Matthew 24:22-24 King James Version (KJV) And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were "possible", they shall deceive the very elect. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

If we do not have the whole or perfect.Then it is still possible to deceive the elect.

We I would think should glory in that warning at the end of the book as our safeguard. The flaming sword the Spirit guarding the way to receive our new incorruptible bodies. Part of the armor for trying the spirits to see if they are of men or God. If they are supposed inspired by God after John in Revelation. It simply is the witness of men. It will continue to the last day.

We have the complete witness of God the greater. . in its entirety . It swallows the false authorities as the witness of men. Like Moses staff, the staff of division, parting the Sea of Judgement .

The elect as new creatures that abide in the last warning found in the last chapter of the last book Revelation .They will not receive the strong delusion that accompanies those who desire more than what He requires according to his mind and soul.

Those who claim they are receiving new revelations need to start writing them in a book or add to more chapters to Revelation before they forget what it says.

Jesus says many tried to add to it .In fact if every time someone did say. . . "Lo is Christ. . I had a out of body experience, I had a dream" he would we would need a bigger earth to hold the books of lies. . as oral traditions of men . The witness of God rises above.

Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. Then went "this saying" abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.John 21: 21-25

Mar 28, 2016
James referred to 'the perfect law of liberty' when he wrote his book, which was probably one of the earlier books written. The scriptures did not need to be written to make the gospel perfect. The message was put in written form for us so that we might have apostolic understanding of the mystery of Christ, not so that we could make their understanding into that of a child's by comparison.
The scriptures need to be written to make the gospel revealed.....it revelas Him not seen as it is written .

The word apostle as it would seem according to your understanding has been destroyed as to its intended meaning.

I would suggest no such doctrine as "apostolic understanding of the mystery of Christ". It would seem to puff up the flesh of a apostle above all things written in the law and the prophets .

The word apostle simply with no other meaning added is "sent one" . Not understanding one. Pail's thoughts remained Paul's his whole life. Change the meaning of a word and add to it can change the authors intent . We are warned in Deuteronomy 4 not to add new meaning to a word . . it can change commandments

How beautiful are the feet (shod with the gospel) Of those whose mouth as a new tongue prophecies the will of the God who dwells in the believers earthen body, empowering us to work out the good pleasure of His will as a imputed righteousness..

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

If you think you are called or led to share then your feet who are shod with the gospel bringing the seed of the incorruptible word .

False apostles feet have not been washed by Christ .

1 Corinthians 4:5-7 King James Version (KJV)Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God. And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

James and Paul are in perfect harmony with the revelation of God. The opening commandment in chapter two of James seems to have in most cases been made to no effect. Causing dissension between Paul and James as if we did wrestle against flesh and blood..

Ephesians 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

John 13:8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Jesus says many tried to add to it .In fact if every time someone did say. . . "Lo is Christ. . I had a out of body experience, I had a dream" he would we would need a bigger earth to hold the books of lies. . as oral traditions of men . The witness of God rises above.
Your post is full of phrases taken from the Bible and religious phrases strung together into a message that is not Biblical. Jesus, in Matthew 24, warned that if any man say 'Lo here is Christ or there, believe it not."

The Bible does NOT say, "Lo is Christ. . I had a out of body experience, I had a dream". An out of body experience? Paul wrote of 'a man' (who many believe was a reference to himself) who--whether in the body or out of the body, he did not know-- went into the third heaven.

We are not supposed to reject II Corinthians or Paul because of an out-of-body experience. You should not add to Christ words things that he did not say the way you are doing. And "I had a dream"... Acts 2 quoting from Joel 2 says 'your old men shall dream dreams.' The book of Job tells us that God warns people through dreams. There are many examples of this through the Bible, including God giving Gentiles dreams before Christ died for our sins.

Needing a bigger earth to hold the book of lies? The end of the book of John says that if all that Christ did were recorded, John supposed the world could not contain the books.

presidente

May 29, 2013
The scriptures need to be written to make the gospel revealed.....it revelas Him not seen as it is written .
Paul had a revelation of the mystery of Christ before he wrote it down. Then he wrote it down. The mystery was revealed to prophets, too, (Ephesians 3:%) but what early church prophet wrote a book of the Bible?

The word apostle as it would seem according to your understanding has been destroyed as to its intended meaning.

I would suggest no such doctrine as "apostolic understanding of the mystery of Christ". It would seem to puff up the flesh of a apostle above all things written in the law and the prophets .
No, I have not destroyed the intended meaning. 'Apostle' means 'sent one'-- loosely translated. But 'apostolic' can also refer, as an adjective, to the original apostles. The Lord Jesus opened the minds of the apostles to understand the scripture. He sent them to preach and to teach the nations. The Lord also gave Paul revelations which he recorded in his epistles.

The word apostle simply with no other meaning added is "sent one" . Not understanding one. Pail's thoughts remained Paul's his whole life. Change the meaning of a word and add to it can change the authors intent . We are warned in Deuteronomy 4 not to add new meaning to a word . . it can change commandments
It is very odd an ironic that you would make such a statement after your 'Lo' comment, written in KJV-sounding language, stringing a little of what Jesus said together with a bunch of statements that he did not say that run contrary to the teaching of scripture.

Mar 28, 2016
Your post is full of phrases taken from the Bible and religious phrases strung together into a message that is not Biblical. Jesus, in Matthew 24 warned that if any man say 'Lo here is Christ or there, belive it not."

The Bible does NOT say, "Lo is Christ. . I had a out of body experience, I had a dream". An out of body experience? Paul wrote of 'a man' (who many believe was a reference to himself) who--whether in the body or out of the body, he did not know-- went into the third heaven.

We are not supposed to reject II Corinthians or Paul because of an out-of-body experience. You should not add to Christ words things that he did not say the way you are doing. And "I had a dream"... Acts 2 quoting from Joel 2 says 'your old men shall dream dreams.' The book of Job tells us that God warns people through dreams. There are many examples of this through the Bible, including God giving Gentiles dreams before Christ died for our sins.

Needing a bigger earth to hold the book of lies? The end of the book of John says that if all that Christ did were recorded, John supposed the world could not contain the books.
Acts 2 quoting from Joel 2 says 'your old men shall dream dreams.' Mathew warned us before time of the perfect coming which after we are to believe not.

John on the Island of Patmos was given the last revelation sealed it with a warning not to add or subtract form the whole or complete. .

Paul wrote of 'a man' (who many believe was a reference to himself)

The one source of revelation coming from the eternal God not seen come into the body. Falling from above as do all of the doctrines of God .Not inspired earthly of the devil.

A good example is found in Mathew 4. The Son of man, Jesus as a suffering scapegoat is sent by the father out into the wilderness at the beginning of his ministry. In his weakness no food 40 days... was given a vision as a lying wonder what people call out of the body experience today. But its simply the father of lies brining in his lies .That is if every one was written down we would need a bigger earth to contain them . In the twinkling of the eye the father of in the fleshly mind shows Jesus all the kingdom of the world and the glory of a corrupted creation without moving one in in the sand. Three times the father gave the Son of man words to say, as it is written and again as it is written. His lying out of the body experience disappeared. .

That helps us understand the collisains 2 discource. Some people enjoy acting as if they are humble and love to worship angels.[b]

They always talk about the visions they have seen. Don’t listen to them when they say you are wrong because you don’t do these things. It is so foolish for them to feel such pride, because it is all based on their own human ideas They don’t keep themselves under the control of the head. Christ is the head, and the whole body depends on him. Because of Christ all the parts of the body care for each other and help each other. So the body is made stronger and held together as God causes it to grow.Colossians 2: 17 -18

Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, Colossians 2: 17 -18

Mar 28, 2016
Paul had a revelation of the mystery of Christ before he wrote it down. Then he wrote it down. The mystery was revealed to prophets, too, (Ephesians 3:%) but what early church prophet wrote a book of the Bible?
Prophets are apostles sent ones sent with prophecy the words of God. God who is not served by human hands as a will.

He brought His thoughts he desired Paul to write as law. . Revealing them into the mind of Paul and part of the same work of that faith he moved Paul's hands to finish the prophecy that is written .

Puffing up the apostles above that which is written is not a biblical doctrine.

We have one Good Master not seen our Father in heaven .No man could serve two .We are to call no man on earth Good Master one is in heaven . We walk after his faith the same faith of Christ that works in the apostles to both will and do his good pleasure .He says no murmuring . Just do it give him the glory . Even Jesus as the Son of man would not make desolate that holy unseen place of Good glory an abomination.

Matthew 19:16-18 King James Version (KJV) And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

We walk by faith the unseen eternal. . not after what the eyes see the temporal. Give glory to the eternal father not seen, not the apostles seen.

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Prophets are apostles sent ones sent with prophecy the words of God. God who is not served by human hands as a will.
What does not being served by human hands have to do with what either of us is talking about? You seem to be throwing in random religious phrases again.

He brought His thoughts he desired Paul to write as law.
Calling Paul's epistles 'law' is just weird terminology, especially considering what Paul writes about not being under the law but under grace.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

He brought His thoughts he desired Paul to write as law. . Revealing them into the mind of Paul and part of the same work of that faith he moved Paul's hands to finish the prophecy that is written .

We have one Good Master not seen our Father in heaven .No man could serve two .We are to call no man on earth Good Master one is in heaven . We walk after his faith the same faith of Christ that works in the apostles to both will and do his good pleasure .He says no murmuring . Just do it give him the glory . Even Jesus as the Son of man would not make desolate that holy unseen place of Good glory an abomination.

Matthew 19:16-18 King James Version (KJV) And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

We walk by faith the unseen eternal. . not after what the eyes see the temporal. Give glory to the eternal father not seen, not the apostles seen.

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Garee, I'm wondering something... when you respond to someone else's post, do you read the post they have quoted? Your comments are completely unrelated to the prior discussion. It seems that you treat every post as the first in a thread. That's not helping.

yellowcanary

May 22, 2018
It is presumptuous to assume from those verses that these things have been done away with. It does not say that. It is speaking in the future tense, otherwise it would say in v8 for example, that prophesies and tongues 'HAVE BEEN' done away with, rather than 'WILL BE'. This is why in verses 10, 11 & 12 it speaks about the time when we are with Christ. This letter was written after Christ had been on this earth, so these verses are referring to when He returns.
Hebrews 11:1 ... Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

1 Corinthians 13:8 tells us ... "But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

Five verses later in 1 Corinthians 13:13, we are told ... And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

If faith, hope and love remain after prophecies, tongues and knowledge have ceased and/or passed away (and it is clear that they do), what would be the purpose of hope and faith when both will have been fully realized in Christ's presence ?

Only when God's perfect and complete (matured) Word was given to us could we know Him fully. When 1 Corinthians was written, Christ's followers only knew in part. Thus, the very purpose of God's gifts accordingly ... until the perfect completion of His Word to us.

Jul 23, 2018
Hebrews 11:1 ... Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

1 Corinthians 13:8 tells us ... "But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

Five verses later in 1 Corinthians 13:13, we are told ... And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

If faith, hope and love remain after prophecies, tongues and knowledge have ceased and/or passed away (and it is clear that they do), what would be the purpose of hope and faith when both will have been fully realized in Christ's presence ?

Only when God's perfect and complete (matured) Word was given to us could we know Him fully. When 1 Corinthians was written, Christ's followers only knew in part. Thus, the very purpose of God's gifts accordingly ... until the perfect completion of His Word to us.
....and of course modern Christendom has no knowledge. Lets get it straight. You cherry pick into silly nothingness. Cessationism is a joke. It is a lie.

But whst an impasse.
Since ,as you point out tongues,knowledge and prophecy has ceased,and i suppose cessationists have ceased pursuing those 3 things,that segment of the Lord's body has more or less paralysed itself.

But since they believe knowledge has also ceased(by implication), they have anointed themselves with invincible ignorance.

...which they themselves readily display.

They think the verses that rip their mess to shreads simply are there for them to not only ignore,but are tools to reframe what Jesus left for his church to do "GREATER WORKS"

The greater works are vividly portrayed with the Elisha/Elijah dimension.

When Jesus said greater works ,he manifested that transferrence at his ascention....as did Elijah with Elisha.

The transferring of the power.

So what is at the core of this attempt of disenfranchisement?????
That is way more important than cessationists current nothingburger blather