Question about bible interpretation?...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

Vidy

You heard voices from and in your mind. The voice of the Spirit will come from the inner man, and He will speak with the voice of God. He will speak the words of God. He will confess Jesus Christ as Lord. Every other way of understanding the bible will lead to deception, and loss of some part of life from Jesus.

He was clear, His sheep hear His voice. They know Him and follow Him.

In your example above, neither voice was the Spirit's voice.

When you hear His voice, you will know. If you believe in Him, you have heard His voice, when He convicted you that you were dead in your sin, and needed saved, needed His cross for your forgiveness of sins, needed His resurrection for your new life as a child of God, needed His miracle of the Spirit giving you new birth.

He told you of these things, He chose you to hear Him.
That answered 0 questions....

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
That answered 0 questions....
Don't take this wrong, but the questions you are asking are not good questions. Especially in reading the prophets, it is vital that the Spirit lead, guide, teach, show what is being said. The message in the prophets is often hidden, because the enemy would act different if he knew what was truly said. Paul wrote that if the powers knew what would happen from Jesus being crucified, they would never have done it, because it meant their defeat.

What I am saying is that ways of reading or interpreting the bible are ways of missing what God is saying to you. When you read the scriptures, just let the Spirit lead you from your heart, you will know that it is Him. If you don't want to do that, that is okay too. It is how I read the bible, and how I have read the bible for over 15 years now. I read without trying to understand something out of it, but rather to let God speak to me from His word.

You choose.

V

Vidy

Not good questions? Huh? Please elaborate on that one, because questions are neither good nor bad, unless the question itself contains a fallacy, which I'm pretty sure mine don't...

And about the listening from your heart thing... First, isn't the heart deceitful? Like I said, my voice or God's voice? Also, when prophets speak, they do speak a little cryptically, but who's to say that they have double or triple meanings that continue applying to everyone? For example, some prophecies that applied to David or something may also have applied to Jesus. Who's to say that it isn't gonna refer to someone else, too? I say you read it clear and don't try to force a bunch of stuff into it, and in listening with you're heart, that's the kind of thing you tend to do, even if you don't mean to ~_o

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
God has "ONE perfect plan for you,"
God's plan for you is exactly what and where you are. If it wasn't then God may as well toss his plans out the window because they ain't worth nothing.*

*I'm not a Calvinist.

If your heart is soft and you have responded to God, He will take you where you need to go. If your heart is hard and has rejected God, He will take you where you need to go.

Quest

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Not good questions? Huh? Please elaborate on that one, because questions are neither good nor bad, unless the question itself contains a fallacy, which I'm pretty sure mine don't...

And about the listening from your heart thing... First, isn't the heart deceitful? Like I said, my voice or God's voice? Also, when prophets speak, they do speak a little cryptically, but who's to say that they have double or triple meanings that continue applying to everyone? For example, some prophecies that applied to David or something may also have applied to Jesus. Who's to say that it isn't gonna refer to someone else, too? I say you read it clear and don't try to force a bunch of stuff into it, and in listening with you're heart, that's the kind of thing you tend to do, even if you don't mean to ~_o

I realize that you do not know of the ministry of the Holy Spirit. That is a shame. Since you do not believe in His ministry, He will not teach you. In that case, you can read the bible any way you want to.

Best wishes,

V

Vidy

I realize that you do not know of the ministry of the Holy Spirit. That is a shame. Since you do not believe in His ministry, He will not teach you. In that case, you can read the bible any way you want to.

Best wishes,
I'll be more willing to believe you if you can provide scripture, within context, that tells me this is how the Holy Spirit works ~_o

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I'll be more willing to believe you if you can provide scripture, within context, that tells me this is how the Holy Spirit works ~_o
Too many places to list, so I will give you 3. John 14:16-21 John 16:5-15 1st Cor 2

Each of these is an entire paragraph, or a complete chapter. They won't mean much unless you read them with an open heart.

O

oopsies

So by that way of viewing the Bible, you should not imply that Jeremiah 29:11 applies to everyone, because it was specifically addressing the nation of Israel, correct? The only way you would even THINK of taking that and applying it to all people in the world would be if you read the verse and none of the context around it ~_o
Actually, if you study prophecy, then Jeremiah 29:10-23 is a prophecy in itself for all generations - not just Israel. I know very little of end-times prophecy or how they are able to establish it (I think it has to do with interpreting numbers in the original languages) but those who study it are able to link this passage with other passages in the Bible with (so they claim) correct consistency. If what they've done is right, then viewed this way, Jeremiah 29:11 applies to everyone including Israel and at the same time, maintains consistency without contradicting the rest of the Bible.

Last edited by a moderator: