Question on God's acceptance

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Addison

Jun 28, 2014
Hey all.

Is it possible to be accepted into Heaven if you love everyone except for yourself?

Asking for a friend.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
You can only love another if you love yourself. Love your neighbor as yourself.
If one base falls, the rest cant stand. Who gets accepted into heaven is not on us to decide, I doubt it but I do not know. Thats my input

M

Mooky

Dear James,

Anyone who is accepted into heaven is accepted purely on the merits of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ alone.
In other words - if you believe in Jesus and his death for you , then you are guaranteed a place in His heaven.Nothing we can do apart from faith in Christ can get us into heaven because God expects us to be 100 % holy in order to enter heaven! We can't go a day without sinning in some way - let alone be 100% holy!Which is why Jesus had to take our place - He took our sins into His Body on the cross and gave us His righteousness in their place.It was a judicial act.The guilty declared not guilty.

As for loving everyone else but ones self - I doubt that the person asking this doesn't love themselves.We are all born with an innate desire for the best for ourselves .....which we most of the time overdo - which results in selfishness.Even when we do things which we regret or make us have a lower opinion of ourselves - we still want the best for ourselves.For example - we feed ourselves, brush our hair, put clothes on and seek pleasure and avoid pain.This is normal and natural and part of the built in survival instinct that God gave us.The bible encourages us to have that same sort of concern for our neighbour - even our enemies....which is a very lofty mandate and which we all fail constantly.Hence the need for a Saviour to take our place.

It is possible to have a low opinion of ones self but often this masks pride.The person who feels this way seeks to get attention and pity for themselves in a different way to the person who acts with boastful bravado - but just takes a different route to get it.
The right way to view oneself is with sober judgement - according to the measure of ones faith.As C.S.Lewis put it," Humility is not thinking less of oneself - it is thinking of ones self less."

I hope this answers your question.I encourage your friend to trust in Jesus for their salvation ALONE and also to cast their cares onto Him for He cares for them.And the peace which passes all understanding will guard his/her heart.This is one of the precious promises found in the new testament.
God bless you.

M

Miri

Hey all.

Is it possible to be accepted into Heaven if you love everyone except for yourself?

Asking for a friend.

Show your friend this, as their question is irrelevant, loving people and/or yourself
will not save you. Even non Christians love each other and themselves etc.

John 3:1-21 NKJV
[1] There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.
[2] This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that
You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You
do unless God is with him."

[3] Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless
one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." [4] Nicodemus said
to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time
into his mother's womb and be born?"

[5] Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water
and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. [6] That which is born
of flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

[7] Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' [8] The wind blows
where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes
from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

[9] Nicodemus answered and said to Him, "How can these things be?" [10] Jesus
answered and said to him, "Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these
things? [11] Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify
what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness.

[12] If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe
if I tell you heavenly things? [13] No one has ascended to heaven but He who
came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. [14] And as
Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up,

[15] that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
[16] For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever
believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. [17] For God did not send
His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might
be saved. [18] "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not
believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the
only begotten Son of God.

[19] And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and
men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. [20] For
everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his
deeds should be exposed. [21] But he who does the truth comes to the light,
that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."

Nov 22, 2015
We are accepted into heaven because of the work of Christ and we believe in what Christ has done for us. Tell your friend to focus in on the love that Christ has for them and then their love for others and themselves will come into alignment.

Paul says in Romans 5:5 that the love of God has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit. We need to have our minds renewed to the truths of who we are in Christ and that He loves us dearly.

Your friend is confused in their mind. They will be transformed by the Holy Spirit as they look to Christ and what He has done. His love that is in them will change the way they think about themselves.

1 John 4:19 (KJV)
[SUP]19 [/SUP] We love him, because he first loved us.

Feb 24, 2015
Hey all.

Asking for a friend.
This is the wrong question. The question really being asked is will Jesus reject you if you hate
yourself.

The answer is no.
The truth is if you hate yourself you are already looking at the wrong things in the wrong ways.

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
"But foolish and unlearned questions avoid.." (2 Timothy 2:23) Why? "knowing that they do gender strifes."
Partaking is foolish and unlearned question only ends in controversy and to no profit.

E

eternally-gratefull

Whose interpretations of love.

mans or Gods

Gods, we can not do, until we ware first saved so that would be impossible

Mans, No, because you would still fall short of the glory of God

Dec 19, 2009
Hey all.

Asking for a friend.
It’s sort of an unusual question, isn’t it? The gate to heaven is open to anyone who obeys the Lord’s commandments. I’m not aware of a commandment that states we have to love ourselves.

Aug 15, 2009
It’s sort of an unusual question, isn’t it? The gate to heaven is open to anyone who obeys the Lord’s commandments. I’m not aware of a commandment that states we have to love ourselves.
If we don't love ourselves, We can't love others. If we hate ourselves, what would stop us from hating everything?

E

eternally-gratefull

If we don't love ourselves, We can't love others. If we hate ourselves, what would stop us from hating everything?

This is not true, That is the worlds thinking, and the reason the united states is in such a mess right now.

we can not love others if we love ourselves.

We have to depend and rely on God to love us, We take his love and love others.

Again, as scripture says, We love, because HE FIRST LOVED US, not because we loved ourself.

We do not love or hate self. We focus on others, and let God worry about us.

Feb 24, 2015
This is where it can get confusing. Self love, is narcissistic where everything we do is fantastic.

Often what we reject and hate about ourselves is what we hate and reject in others.
The first step to loving others, is recognising their frailties like we recognise our own, and our own
limitations and weaknesses. It is a human trait to make fun of others to cover up our own similar
failures. And if you hate an enemy, it is easy to blame and ridicule the things you do not like, while
ignoring you have the same problems. So equally how can you love people if they are just like you
and do the things you hate in yourself.

So a correct appraisal of oneself, in terms of failure, strengths and weaknesses is the key to real
liberation and love. And the first step is to read what God considers good, righteous and healthy.
The next step is through Christ, to walk in it.

Feb 28, 2016
we must love Christ, others, and the others include ourselves...

there is just simply no way that we can Love Jesus Christ and not ourselves,
as this is what He has taught from the beginning, love others as you love your selves...
'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'...

JUDE 1:21.
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Last edited:

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
No worries you will go to heaven for loving yourself, no problem. ….You will never find in the Bible to love yourself. What we find is love others as you love yourself. G-d naturally knows every human does already love themselves. Now this love can be perverted like with a co-dependent, but even they love themselves. For example, my ex-husband was a wife beater (and I mean black and blue eyes, broken ribs, the whole nine yards). And I always said if I can make him love me or “if I”…. it was still always about me. And my big favorites, “I do this”, “I do that”, and this is how he/they treat me. The big “ME”, the big “I”…. I was in love with myself… it was perverted, but I made everything about me. I had no self-respect. Today I have self-respect.

The hardest thing in the world to do is to love others as you love yourself.... there are countless arguments I have had, to my shame, because I would not give up my right to be right.

Bladerunner

Aug 22, 2016
Hey all.

Asking for a friend.
How do you not love yourself?

What do you do to yourself that warrants not loving yourself?

Can you be more specific