Questions about hunting

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Also, no animal in the United States has EVER been completely eliminated due to recreational hunting.

um ..

carrier pigeon. carolina parakeet. the great auk.

for example.

and many other species on the brink of extinction today or recovering from near-extermination would not exist if not for active efforts of conservationists. like puma. wolf. some bear. the american bison.
 
DISCLAIMER* I am going to be to the point and not sugar coat things.

I'm a hunter. I hunt because I can be outdoors, It is a feeling of power. If I see an animal, like a deer, I shoot it. I am for either the heart or the head. I drop the animal where they stand. They feel no pain. Animals do not have souls. They do not go to hell. God put animals here on this earth for our pleasure. I do not torture them. If I intend to shot something, I want him/her to feel no pain.

see, i like this honesty better than excuses.

he hunts because he likes killing things.

he has no regard for the life of an animal, and doesn't consider that it has any right to live or reason to exist other than to die for his pleasure.

that's in no way admirable; it's in fact disgusting, but it's transparent and unfeigned and the candor is refreshing. i appreciate this in the same way that i feel a satanist has more integrity than someone who merely 'plays' at going to church but doesn't really believe.
 
Animals are NOT people. They don't know they are going to die. If there weren't hunters then animals would run rampant. All those animals you named were on the BRINK of being completely wiped out. The key word is brink. Then the federal government made laws to protect them. I am not a satanist. Rapists, child molesters, people like that are satanists. Just because I hunt does NOT make me a follower of Satan. The fact is this, I will not stop hunting because a couple of tree huggers want to fight for animals "rights." How can they have rights if they don't know anything?
 
I am doing a paper on hunting. Laws are being Purposed to take away the rights of hunters. Preserving a species and animal crudity are some of the issues. Please tell me,

Why you hunt?

Amount of pain the animal is thought to go through?

What have your children learned through hunting?

Do you believe Environment damage by hunters through, make unnatural clearnings, camping, cutting down trees, vehicles damage and changing the animals eating habits by food station

Argument is hunting causes a decline in the overall health of an animals species. Most predators will go after the small or sick animals but when humans hunt they leave behind the small and sick and kill only the large, strong and healthy
Another troll with an agenda. Hunting helps the deer population by thinning out the herd. Hunters and fishermen gives hundreds of thousands of dollars to the States Wildlife and Fisheries.

Why don't you take your condemnation somewhere that cares like a bleeding heart Liberal board cause you can't peddle your goods here.
 
I am doing a paper on hunting. Laws are being Purposed to take away the rights of hunters. Preserving a species and animal crudity are some of the issues. Please tell me,

Why you hunt?

Amount of pain the animal is thought to go through?

What have your children learned through hunting?

Do you believe Environment damage by hunters through, make unnatural clearnings, camping, cutting down trees, vehicles damage and changing the animals eating habits by food station

Argument is hunting causes a decline in the overall health of an animals species. Most predators will go after the small or sick animals but when humans hunt they leave behind the small and sick and kill only the large, strong and healthy


tell you what

hunting and eating what you hunt is one thing...trophy hunting should be banned IMO and yes I know about all the supposed money received from those who pursue such things in Africa and BC and all that jazz

maybe we should discuss the wolf kill and the accompanying disproportionate amount of deer overunning towns...

as the owner of 4 wolfdogs, I take personal exception to killing wolves especially when accompanied by lies and claims that the wolves...a NATURAL predator as opposed to men in helicopters...are decimating the caribou population (not true) or eating all those fat cattle on government owned ranges...which brings to mind the decidedly hideous and criminal roundup of wild horses and the accompanying sales to butchers in Mexico

blah blah blah

not really sorry to be a party pooper

but like I said, are you going to hunt effectively and not torture and are you going to eat what you kill?

I would do the same if I had to...but killing for sport is not any better than war crimes IMO
 
I agree with ember that trophy hunting should be banned. Look at all the elephants killed for their ivory tusks, and whales and seals killed for their blubber. Bears, tigers, etc, hunted and killed ONLY for their fur to become a trophy rug on someone's floor. Is there any sane, logical reason to do this to innocent animals? Absolutely not, IMO. People who trophy hunt just want animal heads to decorate their walls, and dead hides to decorate their floors. :/
 
Laurich;2347162]I used to hunt, one of the biggest reasons we hunted was for food... $20.00 in ammo... A weekend in the mountains and you come home with a freezer full of food... Can't beat that deal no matter how much you have in coupons...

As far as the animal dying humanly: let me ask a question... How does a pack of wolves kill an elk or deer?
One jumps on its back and tears its loins apart to weaken the animal, the others go for its tendons on its legs to cripple to animal. And another with go for its throat strangling the animal to death.

With a gun, the animal has no time to react before its dead. A clean shot to the heart or lungs stops the animal where it stands. There is no prolonged death like what other animals do.
Wolves will actually eat the Elk or Deer alive not worrying to kill it...

uh...well, it might be hard to pick your meat out if it was still flailing around...of course one can always selct the claw bound lobster of their choice while it looks you in the eye...and then you can toss that sucker into a pot of boiling water cause it is just a crustacean after all and we are the superior species


and how do you get your meat? assuming you eat meat, but even if you don't it still begs the question as to how anyone gets it....have you ever been to a processing plant? or chicken barn? gads...you may never eat the meat again...wolves are not moral agents and one might be forgiven for believing that human beings are not either when taking the time to educate themselves regarding how their favorite cut ends up at the supermarket all pretty in a white styrofoam container with the screams, blood and gore removed.

Ever learn about the buffaloe hunts back in the 19th C? all the thousands of carcasses of those magnificent animals with only the tongues cut out and the rest left to rot? tell you what....t'wern't wolves that done that...no sir

better not mention fishing either...cause they live in an environment we do not live in and I guess torture is acceptable

bottom trawlers? swell hey! they are just landscaping...it's all good


As far as it destroying populations of game. I suggest anyone who holds that though come out to my neck of the woods... Any one can buy a tag to hunt in my state... And the elk and deer populations are still out of control...


As far as anyone saying that we are destroying the environment... I suggest they go out hunting and show me all this environment killing litter...

once upon a time...oh wait...that would be the beginning of a fairy tale and of course you have all your facts...


See when you are hunting, your top priority is to blend in with your surroundings and any hunter will tell you... If you open up a bag of chips, or a sandwich.. Every animal in that area knows exactly where you are because of the smell... What many people don't realize is any good hunter realizes that in order to get an animal you have to blend in with the environment which means no foreign smells can go with you.

of course. no hunter would ever (cross your toes and hope to die if you should happen to lie) feed deer for a few weeks with apples that might cause the creatures to be less then cautious as they approach what up to the hunt has been a safe environment.

and no self-respecting hunter would ever gather with say 20 or so comrades and have a half dozen sit upwind while the rest drive through the woods making nose that to a wild animal sounds like the end of their world...never happened I'm sure

and those high powered rifles with sites that a sniper would envy (bit of an exaggeration)? well, that will easily make a man of even a boy or something like that

and all those animal calls you can buy? well, what out of his mind during the rut deer wouldn't come a running!

and fowl migrating? fair game eh? and besides, those labs need the exercise! pointers too


Also for hunters only killing the large and strong animals... That is a hoot, no offence... The bigger the rack on a deer or elk, the more likely it is going to die that year... The trophy animals that you see are not the strongest animals in the Forrest, but the oldest ones...
Let me give an example, lets say we didn't shave our hair our whole life... Would the strongest people have the longest hair, or would it be the oldest people?

what if they went bald?

Many people who hold that view have no idea how animals act or anything for that matter... They see a giant rack on an elk and think a hunter killed the strongest elk... In actuality the hunter killed the oldest elk, and elk that was likely to die that year anyway...

my head hurts trying to accept that as an acceptable reason for killing the rack...I mean the deer or elk...obviously a trophy then cause we also know the oldest animals are not the tenderest...I guess a slow cooker might be involved along with about 6 oz of tenderizer or something

Furthermore many animals will not eat sick animals... Wolves, Mountain lions, Bears: they all stay away from sick animals because they do not want to be sick...

oh good grief...that is so not true! bears will eat a rotten corpse..animals will eat others that die from a host of illnesses!



Wolves, Mountainlions, Bears: they all go after the young animals... Whether they are hurt or not, they eat the young because its the easiest to hunt...

uh....also not so...by the way, you should know that bears are omnivorous...wolves will eat stomach contents first as they are also not 100% carnivorous...yes, young, old and sick...often taken down...so why are government out to exterminate wolves again? healthy animals also get taken...I think you might need a bait of a lesson on natural history or something



Also the male elk do not stay with the heard... After the rut (breeding season) bull elk leave the herd and live by themselves the whole year... Killing a "strong" male elk does not make it easier for predators to kill young elk... Because male elk do not protect the calfs...
Same goes with deer, the mother raises the fawns and the buck is no where to be found...

that's not true...hunters find them all the time...

Anyone who says killing the "strong" makes it easier to kill the young or weak have no idea how animals live...

well ok then...but I'm sticking with my current available ways of learning about the world around us just for the record




I also find it funny that one would consider a hunter damaging the environment... But not a city... Again it is against a hunters agenda to damage the environment yet, people who hold these beliefs live in cities which have destroyed entire ecosystems with a concrete jungle...

ever seen the woods torn up by loggers and or 4 wheelers? not a pretty sight! not to mention animals getting chased in the winter and harrassed and dying from it
 
Last edited:
Animals are NOT people. They don't know they are going to die. If there weren't hunters then animals would run rampant. All those animals you named were on the BRINK of being completely wiped out. The key word is brink. Then the federal government made laws to protect them. I am not a satanist. Rapists, child molesters, people like that are satanists. Just because I hunt does NOT make me a follower of Satan. The fact is this, I will not stop hunting because a couple of tree huggers want to fight for animals "rights." How can they have rights if they don't know anything?


oh colt! let me educate you

animals at slaughter houses do know they are going to die

a dog at a pound knows it is going to die when it is going to die

and why do you think wild animals are well, wild? cause they DON'T WANT TO DIE...they fear mankind and rightly so and they also fear each other

alot of research has gone into whether or not animals 'feel' or 'know' they ain't as dumb as some folks think they are

I don't hug trees...I have wood in my woodstove keeping me warm right now...I eat and enjoy meat...if you eat what you kill, then fine...and you drop it...all the better

if you enjoy killing? something wrong there...just sayin....
 
DISCLAIMER* I am going to be to the point and not sugar coat things.

I'm a hunter. I hunt because I can be outdoors, It is a feeling of power. If I see an animal, like a deer, I shoot it. I am for either the heart or the head. I drop the animal where they stand. They feel no pain. Animals do not have souls. They do not go to hell. God put animals here on this earth for our pleasure. I do not torture them. If I intend to shot something, I want him/her to feel no pain.


Oh so you just hunt for the sport of it? "If I see an animal, I shoot it." Animals DO feel pain. God created animals, gave them a soul, not like our souls, but a soul nonetheless. Sorry but this post of yours is so ignorant it's nauseating. And you're boastful too: "I drop the animal where it stands." Yes, God DID put animals here for our pleasure. NOT so we can kill them just for the heck of it. :/ Think about this: if YOU got shot in the head, and survived, how badly do YOU think it would hurt?? You wouldn't want someone shooting you for the fun of it, so why shoot an animal for the fun of it? You are completely ignorant where hunting and animals are concerned..

And as far as "having a feeling of power", you don't need to trophy hunt to feel powerful. If you do, then something's missing from your life, and his name is JESUS. :/
 
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Colt45Bullet

Animals are NOT people. They don't know they are going to die. If there weren't hunters then animals would run rampant. All those animals you named were on the BRINK of being completely wiped out. The key word is brink. Then the federal government made laws to protect them. I am not a satanist. Rapists, child molesters, people like that are satanists. Just because I hunt does NOT make me a follower of Satan. The fact is this, I will not stop hunting because a couple of tree huggers want to fight for animals "rights." How can they have rights if they don't know anything?



Another ignorant, uneducated post. Animals DO know when they're going to die. A zebra being attacked by 4 lions knows it's death is imminent. A housecat being attacked by 3 dogs knows it's going to die. Just like people who have a gun aimed at them and are shot multiple times know their going to die. Or someone whose being stabbed, strangled, etc. So because animals are animals, and not humans, they don't have rights? They don't have the right to live in peace? :mad: OF COURSE THEY DO!! They have the right to live their lives peacefully and safely, as we do, and not have to worry about being killed by some idiot out to get their fur, blubber, or ivory. Or killed by some donkey's butt who just happens to hate cats or dogs and kills that animal because of their hatred. People like that should be strung up and quartered like animals themselves IMO..
 
I would imagine it would depend on where you live your financial situation etc. for hunting.... Say I live in Kentucky and I am a poor person I then would hunt to eat. That to me is the only justifiable reason to hunt. If I was hungry enough I probably would hunt for food. But I don't think hunting for sport is right and would not do it just for fun because I don't think it is fun....
 
Uh....why does one HUNT? What about becoming "FISHERS of MEN"? Perhaps that would make a more appropriate topic in this CHRIST centered CHRISTIAN chatroom. Who actually cares 'Why you hunt?" Will this matter when you face GOD? Why did you post this here and now? Oops...did you think that environment damage, pain that animals go through is as important as spreading the GOSPEL here online? Your topic is so needed....in a hunting chatroom where you and more of your outdoorsmen/hunters can sit, chat and discuss your similar experiences where it is appropriate. If you think that hunting animals is important here in a CHRISTIAN chatroom, try going to an automobile chatroom and discuss your grandmother's favorite pie recipe...no difference. Duh!

Were you a Hall Monitor in school?

.....you should know that with great power comes great responsibility.


Try saying this again, but this time, with your grown up voice. :)
 
I did not chose the topic of the paper. The paper is for my Texas Government college class. I do not hunt. I am not against hunting I just don't know much about it. The paper is to be based on: Proposition 6 (SJR 22)

SJR 22 proposes a constitutional amendment that would add the right to hunt, fish and harvest wildlife, including by use of traditional methods, in the Bill of Rights of the Texas Constitution. This right would be subject to laws and regulations intended to conserve and manage wildlife and to preserve the future of hunting and fishing. The proposed amendment would establish hunting and fishing as the preferred method of managing and controlling wildlife in Texas. The proposed amendment is not intended to affect any law or provision related to trespass, property rights or eminent domain, and would not prevent the legislature from authorizing a municipality to regulate the discharge of a firearm in a populated area in the interest of safety.
The proposed amendment will appear on the ballot as follows: “The constitutional amendment recognizing the right of the people to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife subject to laws that promote wildlife conservation.”
Wow a good law!
This is America ..that's WHY WE HUNT ..that's why we drive the cars etc...BBQ, watch footfall ..etc

Some want to legalize drugs, sexual perversion and other liberal nonsense that destroys our society while taking away the rights of others.
 
I would imagine it would depend on where you live your financial situation etc. for hunting.... Say I live in Kentucky and I am a poor person I then would hunt to eat. That to me is the only justifiable reason to hunt. If I was hungry enough I probably would hunt for food. But I don't think hunting for sport is right and would not do it just for fun because I don't think it is fun....

You presented a couple of ideas in here that made me think about America, what we value, what we accept, and whether it should all be acceptable.

Many of the posters here agreed that hunting for food is okay. You made the added point that if someone was poor then it seems logical that they might hunt to eat. Here's the problem: It ain't cheap. Weapons are expensive. Bullets are expensive. Unless you have access to a large plot of land where you can target shoot, you practice at a range, and going to the range isn't cheap. Maintaining a weapon isn't cheap. You have to pay for a license and all the other accoutrements (deer lease, proper gear, etc). Unless you have the butchering skills to process a large amount of meat on your own (most of the hunters I know don't), when you bag a dear, or a bear, or a moose, or an etc., you have to pay to have this meat processed. YES, all the deer meat you get may be cheaper than what you'd pay for it in the store, but you have to pay upfront for the processing. If someone is truly poor, I mean poor enough that we'd give them a moral pass for hunting, they likely aren't going to be able to afford to hunt.

The poor in the South used to eat things like squirrel, opossum, skunk, raccoon, etc. (some places they still do). These animals are typically trapped, not hunted. Additionally, they'd also fish. Most hunters aren't interested in these sorts of animals.

Most of the hunters I know do it for two reasons: 1) acculturation...they were taught to hunt within their family, it's a bonding kind of experience (often for the men of the family), so they like to take time every year to do this. 2) to prove their skill and/or power...as mentioned by one of the posters, he likes the feeling of power that he gets from hunting

The thing is, should we do things just because that's how we were raised? Also, is exerting a sense of life-crushing power over other creatures in keeping with being like Jesus?

As a final edition, I'd like to add that there was no hunting in the Garden of Eden. Death was not introduced into the world until the Fall. There is no meat-eating without death. Although there are indications that meat-eating took place, God didn't not explicitly allow it until after Noah. I think it's possible to present a solid theological argument that God never meant for humans to eat meat...nor animals for that matter. The idea that nature is "red in tooth and claw" may be a manifestation of sin in the world and not part of God's original design.
 
My Pastor even told me that animals do not know they are going to die and they do not have souls.
 
My Pastor even told me that animals do not know they are going to die and they do not have souls.


huh..well that's gotta beat any research done by scientests for sure by gosh jimmy dean sausages tapioca pudding cat whiskers

This site has waaaay to many liberals for me. Im done

LOL! so everyone who does not kill for sport or even food while enjoying doing so is a liberal? really?

who knew

anyway...ta ta...and go kick a pitbull and see if he feels it
 
No they aren't liberals because they don't hunt. They are liberals because they want animal rights and are against police.
 
No they aren't liberals because they don't hunt. They are liberals because they want animal rights and are against police.


my dad was RCMP ...kinda like your FBI....

I don't think you know what you are actually trying to say here

I think you have some liberal bias between the place you hang your sunglasses and have a rather unhelpful habit of lumping folks together

I mean, I haven't even called you a redneck, yuh know? :o

ps...I'm a pretty good shot myself...I'm not afraid of guns and would use one if I had too

I also know some crack moves my dad taught me

I ain't no liberal son.....

just noticed you're 16...don't take that 'son' literally