Questions about Psychology

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I just did some googling of REBT from various viewpoints. One interesting thing was it talked about addressing people with some really rigid ideas like "God MUST heal me." Hmm! I sounds like this therapy might help a certain group of people who are actually suffering from some serious mental problems! LOL

Sure, if you have some links or info, send it to me!

I sent you a PM with my favorite pamphlet. But, it appears that the formatting got pretty screwed-up. There was a chart that didn't even show up, but you can get the idea from what made it through.
 
What has Psychology ever cured...what good has it even done?
Has one drug addict ever been delivered by psychology? Has one sick person ever been healed?


To answer your four questions... People that suffer from depression and PTSD. It has provided more awareness to issues such as those. Yes, and yes. And to add a little note, Jesus says the mind is just as important, and psychology focuses on the mind and all.
 
According to Martin and Deidre Bobgan, two expert-scholars who have written many books on psychology, it is a myth that people experiencing mental-emotional-behavioral problems are "mentally ill". And it is a myth that psycho-therapy has a high record of success, that "professional psychological counseling" produces greater results than other forms of help such as that provided by family, friends, or pastors.
In fact, in an attempt to evaluate the status of psychology, the American Psychological Association itself once published a seven volume study involving 80 eminent scholars to assess the facts, theories and methods of psychology, a study titled "Psychology: A Study Of Science." And the Director of this study, Sigmund Koch, noted that psychology is, basically, a fraud. He said:
"The hope of a psychological science became indistinguishable from the fact of psychological science. The entire subsequent history of psychology can be seen as a ritualistic endeavor to emulate the forms of science in order to sustain the delusion that it already is a science --- Throughout psychology's history as ‘science,’ the hard knowledge it has deposited has been uniformly negative."
In other words --- in this case the words of a psychologist himself --- psychology is a fake, a false, "pseudo-science" which the dictionary defines as "a system of theories, assumptions, and methods erroneously regarded as scientific."
 
Well I would rather be cautious about throwing people under the bus and not kicking them when and if they are down. I'm glad you are happy.

If someone is down..you encourage them in the Lord ...you don't feed them a bunch of psyco babble
 
I have been contemplating psychology and the existence of spiritual things (God, Jesus, Satan, guilt, temptation, etc.). It seems these two work against each other, such as bad thoughts coming from Satan can also be described as a chemical imbalance. Psychology can be used to explain pretty much everything that happens to us mentally. Satan tempting us through thoughts can be explained as intrusive thoughts.

A question I have been asking myself to help me understand yet I cannot wrap my head around it is why wouldn't God work through psychology? Is our mind designed to work in a way that allows us to experience spiritual things?

I am unable to establish any conclusions in this matter. I feel my belief in God and my need for Him being shaken. A lot of people come to know Christ when they are at the end of their rope, or when in psychological distress. Is it ok for people to hit rock bottom so they call on God for help? If people are psychologically healthy do they even have a need for God?

We all have a need for God. For a lot of people, hitting rock bottom is the only way a person can wake up and say "God, I have a problem. I need you. I need help." That's when Jesus and psychology can go hand-in-hand.
 
If someone is down..you encourage them in the Lord ...you don't feed them a bunch of psyco babble

Ya...I grew up with your exact mindset foisted on me and my uncles aunts and cousins. Many of them are useless alcoholics and losers who wouldn't know good mental health if it slapped them across the face. Ohhhh...but they had plenty of "religion"..and even more of the ignorance you adhere too crammed down their throats.
 
To answer your four questions... People that suffer from depression and PTSD. It has provided more awareness to issues such as those. Yes, and yes. And to add a little note, Jesus says the mind is just as important, and psychology focuses on the mind and all.

I know many Vets ..im a decorated Vet myself and the treatment for PTSD is just to dope them up and tell them they are screwed up forever... Jesus says to renew the mind with His Word and that same word tells us not to fall for the philosophy of this world ... so
 
Ya...I grew up with your exact mindset foisted on me and my uncles aunts and cousins. Many of them are useless alcoholics and losers who wouldn't know good mental health if it slapped them across the face. Ohhhh...but they had plenty of "religion"..and even more of the ignorance you adhere too crammed down their throats.

If to encourage someone in the Lord is just "religion...forced down their throats" to you...then I doubt you have really entered into the truth faith and power of Christ? Why not seek God and drop all this worldly stuff and you might start to believe the bible instead of this nonsense.
 
If to encourage someone in the Lord is just "religion...forced down their throats" to you...then I doubt you have really entered into the truth faith and power of Christ? Why not seek God and drop all this worldly stuff and you might start to believe the bible instead of this nonsense.

You have no idea what you are even saying and are just trying to be hurtful. I know where I stand with Jesus. Good day to you sir.
 
I am very thankful for the help I got and thank God all the time for the extra 20 years I have had so far.... I would never have met tourist and had the wonderful year we have shared had I been successful with my suicide attempt at 40. Thankful there are people trained to help us who have a hard time in life dealing with it in general. Thankful God isn't done with me yet and that I can still be alive and praise Him and give Him all the glory for my changed life and heart. Those voodoo doctors helped me get where I am today probably under God's approval.





What do u mean when you say voodoo doctors helped you?
 
Demonic influences and possessions are certainly experienced through "psychology". For example, in his books psychologist William James writes: “...the mystic feels as if his own will were in abeyance, and indeed sometimes as if he were grasped and held by a superior power. This latter peculiarity connects mystical states with certain definite phenomena of secondary or alternative personality, such as prophetic speech, automatic writing, or the mediumistic trance…”

There is a well-documented case of Madam Guyon, reported by a psychologist Underhill who writes: “…when Madam Guyon was composing her works she would experience a sudden and irresistible inclination to take up her pen; though feeling wholly incapable of literary composition, and not even knowing the subject on which she would be impelled to write. If she resisted this impulse it was at the cost of the most intense discomfort. She would then begin to write with extraordinary swiftness; words, elaborate arguments, and appropriate quotations coming to her without reflection, and so quickly that one of her longest books was written in one and a half days…”

I believe the above are manifestations of demonic influences through "psychological" means

I believe you and the psychologist need to leave discernment of spiritual matters to spirit filled believers.
She was a great woman of God. You are attributing the move of the Holy Spirit in her life to Satan.
Basically cursing God
 
Mit,
This is psychology in action. Only a small part, and from only one of hundreds of angles, and not a "Bible" word uttered... despite almost half the talk zeroing straight in on Biblical Concepts.


[video=youtube;FZo2hhvvlpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZo2hhvvlpw[/video]