Rabbits

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
In Leviticus 11:6 God says ‘the rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof, it is unclean for you’.
In fact the rabbit does not chew the cud, though it does make chewing movements, so the ancients were fooled into thinking it did. One would expect God to know better.
Of course this subject is discussed on the net and I have read the creationist’s defence which is pretty unconvincing.
I am a believer, not a ‘knocker’. I believe there is a satisfactory answer, I just have no clue what it is!
Anyone have any ideas?

L

Locoponydirtman

God spoke to humans in a way they would understand, and because it would appear to humans as the rabbit is chewing the cud He wanted to make it clear that rabbits were not to be eaten. He was also setting an example to say that one attribute that is mentioned as an attribute of a clean animal did not necessarily make it a clean animal of the other attributes are absent.
God knows he is talking to humans, much like you know when you are talking to a child. You don't always correct child logic you just stay with the point.

J

jaybird88

so why does the Lord not want people eating rabbits?

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
God spoke to humans in a way they would understand, and because it would appear to humans as the rabbit is chewing the cud He wanted to make it clear that rabbits were not to be eaten. He was also setting an example to say that one attribute that is mentioned as an attribute of a clean animal did not necessarily make it a clean animal of the other attributes are absent.
God knows he is talking to humans, much like you know when you are talking to a child. You don't always correct child logic you just stay with the point.
You make a good point.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
so why does the Lord not want people eating rabbits?
In the OT, a distinction was made between clean and unclean foods. Possibly for health reasons. These laws have been superseded by the new covenant. The question was really to do with the error in saying that rabbits chew the cud. This was part of the criteria for defining clean and unclean. Its all explained in Leviticus Chapter 11.

J

jaybird88

In the OT, a distinction was made between clean and unclean foods. Possibly for health reasons. These laws have been superseded by the new covenant. The question was really to do with the error in saying that rabbits chew the cud. This was part of the criteria for defining clean and unclean. Its all explained in Leviticus Chapter 11.
why is the rabbit unclean/unhealthy?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I thought they did. They eat their own droppings, which is digested grass.
I dont see the problem...? You might want to look into the original Hebrew to find out what scripture says, sometimes things can be lost in translation.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
In Leviticus 11:6 God says ‘the rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof, it is unclean for you’.
In fact the rabbit does not chew the cud, though it does make chewing movements, so the ancients were fooled into thinking it did. One would expect God to know better.
Of course this subject is discussed on the net and I have read the creationist’s defence which is pretty unconvincing.
I am a believer, not a ‘knocker’. I believe there is a satisfactory answer, I just have no clue what it is!
Anyone have any ideas?
There seems to be more confusion by from the understanding of the word in Hebrew for cud. I have no idea wha that cofusion is but I do know a very good reason for mty not choosing to ever eat rabbit, theyu are known to burrow into grave and feast...........

J

jaybird88

There seems to be more confusion by from the understanding of the word in Hebrew for cud. I have no idea wha that cofusion is but I do know a very good reason for mty not choosing to ever eat rabbit, theyu are known to burrow into grave and feast...........
what do rabbits do thats unclean?

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
I thought they did. They eat their own droppings, which is digested grass.
I dont see the problem...? You might want to look into the original Hebrew to find out what scripture says, sometimes things can be lost in translation.
As I said, the creationists have done just as you suggest, but the argument is not very convincing. See what you think:
https://creation.com/do-rabbits-chew-their-cud

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
that means you dont know?
Look, you seem to be a smart person. I am saying I will not eat rabbit because they have been found in graves munching on cadavers. I am not obliged to know anything in detail about clean and unclean foods because I do not believe it necessary since we are taught that any food as l9ong as it has been blessed is made ho.ly.

Now if you want to lay the blame of clean foods on me solely, it is your choice, but Gd is the One who made that disstinction. As for rabbits cheing cud, it does ñot say that pr se, for the word for it deals with chewing more thatn with duc

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Rabbits are herbivores. They eat vegetables, not meat. I thought you were joking when I first read your post, but further comments suggest you give this idea credence. A quick google on this would be instructive!

L

Locoponydirtman

From what I understand, rabbits can carry a dangerous parasite, the old timers back home called wools. It was said never shoot a rabbit until after the first heavy frost or they might have those parasites.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Look, you seem to be a smart person. I am saying I will not eat rabbit because they have been found in graves munching on cadavers. I am not obliged to know anything in detail about clean and unclean foods because I do not believe it necessary since we are taught that any food as l9ong as it has been blessed is made ho.ly.

Now if you want to lay the blame of clean foods on me solely, it is your choice, but Gd is the One who made that disstinction. As for rabbits cheing cud, it does ñot say that pr se, for the word for it deals with chewing more thatn with duc
Rabbits are herbivores. They eat vegetables, not meat. I thought you were joking when I first read your post, but further comments suggest you give this idea credence. A quick google on this would be instructive!
In captivity they are fed grains......Here in Spain the custom is tp enter the dead t within 24 hours, no embalming an din niches above ground. Rabbits or perhaps hares have been seen according to th elocals coming out of the niches after having burrowed into them. supposedly having had a snack while inside.........

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Anyone have any ideas?
Just drop the subject. For Christians all meats are clean, but if you have scruples, become a vegetarian. And ignore the Easter bunnies.:)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When I had a small "cortijo" (farm) here in Spain, I had rabbits. They are herbivors, however I was given this story from the feed supplier, and other foks arund the are, raral. Now from my Googling, I find that they will eat meat but if they do it will make them very sick.......

I bow to your information and understanding, however may I add, I was not changing the subject of your thread when I responded as to why I personally do not want to eat rabbit. It was like being snookered.

Scrobulous

Sep 17, 2018
Just drop the subject. For Christians all meats are clean, but if you have scruples, become a vegetarian. And ignore the Easter bunnies.:)
The issue was not about whether a rabbit is clean or unclean. It was why God says that a rabbit 'chews the cud' that is, it is a ruminant, when a rabbit does not chew the cud. God should know this, even though the locals did not.