When it comes to correction...
Growing up steeped in church and church culture, I have found that everyone and their mother will try to speak words of correction to me -- and I understand that.
But something I realized over the past several years is that many of those people didn't care if I became more like Christ -- they wanted me to be more like THEM, and follow the way THEY thought a believer should be.
Every person, no matter how obedient to God they are, has an emphasis on something either God has put on their heart or that they have come to see as "the most important thing." But just because it's most important to them does not mean that God is also calling me to see that as the most important thing.
Now of course, if I do something like try to say, "I think God wanted me to ask if you'd like prayer for..." -- if I'm wrong about, I want the person to correct me, 100%, so I can get better.
But when it comes to people always trying to correct me in general (such as what I should be concentrating on over other things, whether I'm are REAL Christian, etc.,) God told me years ago, "When it comes to deep correction (judging the heart and soul of who you are,) I want you to listen to the ones who have shown that they are willing to bleed WITH you."
In other words, I don't pay much attention to haters or those who don't know me, because the people in my life who know me -- and they have indeed bled with me through hard times -- don't hold back when it comes to standing up to me either.
I have a friend who doesn't care if it's his own mama, he's going to tell it like it is, and he doesn't hold back -- even if you don't talk to him for 6 month before God goads you into admitting that was right. (Guess which side of the coin I was on in that situation!)
So all I'm trying to say is, of course, take everything to God. Ask Him to speak to you, ask Him to open your understanding when you read the Bible and devotionals, and ask who you should listen to when it comes to knowing Him more -- both through encouragement and correction.
I've had many times when I've been told not to speak about this or that -- but I do anyway when I feel God wants me to. This is why I chose the title "OutWrite Trouble" -- when trouble comes to the forum, I generally feel that my way to respond to it is to keep writing (communicating.)
I used to write a lot of threads in Singles about healing from sexual abuse, because I felt that's what God was telling me to write about at the time. I wasn't so sure. I knew it was so personal, that most people wouldn't answer, and that was fine -- but I didn't want to make people uncomfortable.
I can't remember the specific title, but there was one time I wrote such a thread, back when I used to also hang out in the live chat regularly.
One night while I was there, a young man whose profile said he was 19, came in and said, "Thanks for the thread, Seoulsearch." I wrote, "You're very welcome!" He replied, "Peace," then left the room, and I never saw him again. I'd never seen him on the forum. Maybe he just hung out in other areas than I did, I don't know. But I wouldn't have known he was there except for him stopping in say hi.
After that, I knew God was telling me, with some of the things He puts on my heart to write (most of my threads are just my own fluff, but sometimes God puts something very strongly on me to write about,) and it doesn't matter if a single person doesn't answer.
Because even if all that happens is that one person reads it, it might mean an awful lot to that one person. And even if no one reads, it's just practice for other things God might want me to write about.
Now I realize, other people might not believe that I hear from God -- and that's their own right.
I can plainly say that I would fail your "Does this person really hear from God" test,
@Jacobfaith, and miserably at that.
Do I believe I hear from God?
Yes, I do. NOT perfectly, of course!! I'm always learning, always fumbling, but always trying to get back up and do things better the next time. And I know God knows that.
And I guess that's why it's called faith -- believing without having any real proof to give anyone, but knowing in your heart, even if it's just between you and God, if you can't prove it anyone else -- that it's still very real.
May God bless you in our search for Him,
@Jacobfaith.