Receiving the Spirit. How do you know?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Robo36

Nov 27, 2019
How do you know when the Spirit is in you? What does it feel like to receive the Spirit? Do you hear the Spirit? If so, what does the Spirit sound like? How can we receive the Spirit?

I’d like to read personal accounts of Christians who know for sure they have received the Spirit.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
How do you know when the Spirit is in you? What does it feel like to receive the Spirit? Do you hear the Spirit? If so, what does the Spirit sound like? How can we receive the Spirit?

I’d like to read personal accounts of Christians who know for sure they have received the Spirit.
You know when you know when you know .
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. rom 5.5
For me it was pretty radical. Long story short ,then i read what had happened to me in the scriptures. I know the exact time, place, date ,year and moment :love:

Mar 28, 2016

It witnesses to our new born again spirit .

Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Mar 23, 2016
How do you know when the Spirit is in you?
John 14:

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Sep 3, 2016
The Believer must always make their election sure by Grace through Faith in Christ and Him Crucified. Romans 8:2, 1 Cor. 1:18, Gal. 2:20-21

B

Blackpowderduelist

If you are a believer, repented of your sins, confess Jesus is the Son of God, and are baptized. There is not much else. You really can't even believe of you don't have the Holy Spirit.
So do you love Jesus? If so well, there ya have it.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
God and His son are identified by the same spirit. In other words: if you
have the Spirit of God, then you also have the Spirit of Christ.

Rom 8:9-11 . .You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by
the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the
Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your
body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.
And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He
who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies
through His spirit, who lives in you.

Now, spirits are paranormal beings. As such they can't be detected by
scientific machinery, or medical equipment, nor by any of your five natural
senses of taste, hearing, touch, sight, or smell. That goes for the Devil too.
In point of fact, the Devil could be sitting right on your lap right this very
moment and you'd never know it. He could also be inside your body;
especially your brain; where he can get to your thoughts and manipulate
your thinking. (Eph 2:2-3)

Some people claim they can hear the Spirit speaking to them by a still small
voice. But I don't recommend that sort of thing because it could be a
symptom of early onset schizophrenia.

Instead, I suggest applying the Bible; like this:

Gal 4:6 . . Because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His son into
our hearts, calling out, "Abba! Father."

"Abba" is an English transliteration of the Aramaic word abba; which means
father and/or dad in a special way.

Abba is a vocative. In other words when my son and his mother are in the
kitchen talking about me while I'm out in the garage, the name "dad" simply
identifies me as the subject of their conversation. But when my son sticks his
head in the garage door and says: Dad! Supper's ready" then "dad" is a
vocative, in other words my son is addressing me instead of talking about
me.

So; the Spirit of His son compels people to connect with Jesus' father, never
his mother, because Jesus always prayed to his Father, never to his mother;
and especially never to departed saints. When people are comfortable
praying out to Jesus' mom, then we have pretty good reason to believe that
they don't have the Spirit of God's son in their hearts because they aren't
praying like Jesus, they're praying like pagans.
_

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
"early onset Schizophrenia". It is tough in this sin filled world so far from where He would have us to recognize His Holy Spirit speaking to us when we have one foot in His realm and one foot in the world.
There are only two kingdoms, His of light and the enemies of darkness. Job 33-14 instructs His Own that He speaks first one way, then another, so does the adversary, God speaks in compliance with His scripture, and in agreement with the Galatians 5 attributes of love,joy peace patience, etc. The devil in the opposite. We had very troubled inmates who had given their thought life to wrong, violent aberrant thinking for so long they no longer operated in Godly thinking, some going so far as to be "diagnosed" as mentally ill.
Dr, Caroline Leaf's work in neuro-plasticity teaches how every thought we make creates a protein like structure in the brain, that structure is complete and whole when in compliance with love, joy, peace, etc. it is malformed and incomplete when created in the opposite, adversaries way of thinking. This seems to be what leads to what is often called "mental illness, she goes on to state, "most people don't think about what they think about". it has an impact on our health, mentally and physically.

I know I can feel His presence manifest, so can many I pray for, I get text messages from people who can sense when I am praying for them. This world that is compliance with Newtonian physics is a construct He made for us, He operates in the Quantum realm where there is no space or time, no wonder Jesus can appear anywhere, anytime, to anyone. Recently, and from several sources, it has been reported Jesus appeared to all the villagers in a middle eastern country in one night, for those who were asleep, He appeared in dreams, for those awake He appeared in person, the whole village converted to Christ leaving islam in one night.
When God manifested we know Him, and we are to take everything to Him for His confirmation and not lean on our own understanding, we can never make a mistake if we are obedient this way.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
There must be something missing in our understanding of the Holy spirit. I read posters saying the Holy Spirit teaches them each morning, but the Holy spirit uses the word to teach I am sure. If the Holy Spirit did not rely on what scripture puts in our minds, then all would agree about every aspect of the Lord, and we don't.

We are to test the spirit. We need a thorough knowledge of scripture to properly test the spirit.

I am studying the early Christian councils and their conclusions. They all say they have the Holy Spirit so cannot be wrong, yet many of their discussions are about what they believe, not about what scripture tells them. I even find that kind of reasoning in some of these posts. The Holy Spirit follows scripture exactly.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Some people people claim they can hear the Spirit speaking to them by a still small
voice. But I don't recommend that sort of thing because it could be a
symptom of early onset schizophrenia.
_
You agree that the Holy Spirit is a paranormal being, and as such the sprit can communicate with our spirit. That translates to our thoughts and we think with words. So the Holy sprit is a still small voice, not an auditable voice. We must test the spirit, and to test it is to check to see what we perceive in our minds agrees with scripture.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
There must be something missing in our understanding of the Holy spirit. I read posters saying the Holy Spirit teaches them each morning, but the Holy spirit uses the word to teach I am sure. If the Holy Spirit did not rely on what scripture puts in our minds, then all would agree about every aspect of the Lord, and we don't.

We are to test the spirit. We need a thorough knowledge of scripture to properly test the spirit.

I am studying the early Christian councils and their conclusions. They all say they have the Holy Spirit so cannot be wrong, yet many of their discussions are about what they believe, not about what scripture tells them. I even find that kind of reasoning in some of these posts. The Holy Spirit follows scripture exactly.
The text of the Word, alone, that is to say, without guidance of the Holy Spirit is death.

We certainly all learn anything that is the truth of our Maker from the Holy Spirit.

When I refer back to when the Holy Spirit first entered into me, I know I learned all that is necessary for me from out Father, and it is certain all others understand this.

To say the written text will save a soul without the guidance from the Holy Spirit is saying one may seize truth from the mind of our Maker..............that is a foolihs thought.

Study the written Word, but never without prayer.............

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The text of the Word, alone, that is to say, without guidance of the Holy Spirit is death.

We certainly all learn anything that is the truth of our Maker from the Holy Spirit.

When I refer back to when the Holy Spirit first entered into me, I know I learned all that is necessary for me from out Father, and it is certain all others understand this.

To say the written text will save a soul without the guidance from the Holy Spirit is saying one may seize truth from the mind of our Maker..............that is a foolihs thought.

Study the written Word, but never without prayer.............
The Word of scripture is so powerful, I don't think The Word can ever be heard or read without some of this power. To reject it requires the spirit of evil, to accept it takes the power of the Holy Spirit.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The Word of scripture is so powerful, I don't think The Word can ever be heard or read without some of this power. To reject it requires the spirit of evil, to accept it takes the power of the Holy Spirit.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
The Word, God, The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit.

All the above are the Word Which was in the beginning.

The written code kills; it is the Spirit Which gives life.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
In John 16 Jesus is giving the parting instructions to the 12 and explains that when holy Spirit comes he will "Guide speak and show" ( paraphrased) It is my understanding the the word used for "show" is the Greek word "photas" , the word we get photograph from, the mind was created to work with pictures, some of these are from the Father and they appear in a flash, we are to perceive them and take them to him for confirmation and illumination on what we are to do with them.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019

God's Spirit has given me a godly love for others and a proper understanding of scripture. I won't go into long stories, but in a nutsell when people say, "You're so good", or "Yo'u're so sweet", ir "You're the best", it's a golden opportunity to share how wrong they are. The girl who led me to Jesus shared a golden opportunity with me. Thank you Lord! :)

Aug 14, 2019
Good question. A question that indicates a discerning mind.
How is the Holy Spirit distinguished from the evil spirit or our own?
Imagine spirit is like a drop of water. The evil spirit is like a drop of water that hits a stone. Big splash. Nothing absorbed. Lots of emotional awesomeness but no beneficial change to the heart or soul.

The Holy Spirit is like a drop of water that hits a sponge.
Not as much emotional awesomeness but a permanent beneficial change to the heart and soul.

Mar 28, 2016

I would offer not only does the Holy Spirit teach, comfort and guide but he also brings to mind that which he has taught us. We sleep he does not .Like David inspired by the Holy Spirit said in the Psalms. .When I awake you are still there teaching, comforting guides strengthening a person for the new day.

Robo36

Nov 27, 2019
Thank you all for your response, I hoped for more personal testimony. What does it feel like when the spirit is in you? What are your emotional feelings? How do you identify it's the spirit?

B

Blackpowderduelist

Thank you all for your response, I hoped for more personal testimony. What does it feel like when the spirit is in you? What are your emotional feelings? How do you identify it's the spirit?
Part of the problem here, is that we are admonished by scripture not to trust our senses, or emotions. There is the testimony of the word of God which is always true, where as the testimony of a human is subject to fallibility.
Why would anyone trust the feelings and emotions of fallible men, rather than the surety of God's word?

Robo36

Nov 27, 2019
Part of the problem here, is that we are admonished by scripture not to trust our senses, or emotions. There is the testimony of the word of God which is always true, where as the testimony of a human is subject to fallibility.
Why would anyone trust the feelings and emotions of fallible men, rather than the surety of God's word?
So we're supposed to not trust our own emotions and seek testimonies of others? Isn't the Bible human testimony from Genesis to Revelation? Do we not aspire to it by faith and prayer? I believe God created us all to be free of mind and choice & offers us prayer to distinguish good from evil & truth from lies and faith thereby.