Refuting The Cessationism Doctrine: Spiritual Gifts, Tongues, Miracles Haven’t Ceased Since Pentecost!!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
No; contrabiblical statements like, "Signs are for those who believe not prophecy." That's your statement, in case you forgot.
Yes my statement... his law . Will you look to the foundation of the law spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14? Why are men making noises and falling backward? The bible says they are mocking him? Why do they continue?

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Your position is irrational, and I will tell you why. First of all, Paul does not say he is talking about the knowledge of the completed New Testament. He contrasts knowing in part with knowing as he is known. There is no talk of the completed writings of the New Testament.

What is irrational about your position is that you are so convinced about it, even though the details about your position are not in the passage, and your own position runs contrary to having some sort of spiritual revelation to fill in the gaps. If you said the Lord spoke to you in a burning bush and told you that the knowledge being spoken of here is the completed New Testament scriptures... it is not that we would believe you... but at least you would be claiming some sort of revelation that your interpretation were true. You have to guess that your position is right since it cannot be proven from the text that 'know as I am known' means having the completed New Testament scriptures.

But the problem with your interpretation is that it does not fit with the overall message or theme of the epistle. Paul already wrote in chapter 1 of his readers being inriched in all utterance and all knowledge, "So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ: " (I Corinthians 5,7, quote from v. 7.) Paul already gives us a time point to look forward to, here.

And we see the themes in chapter 13 and the two chapters that follow.

Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15
tongues and prophecy tongues and prophecy
the coming of that which is perfect the state of the believer in the resurrection
at the coming of Christ.
You are simply denying the scriptures as they are written. I cannot help your unbelief.
Paul wrote about himself 'when I was a child, I spake as a child.' The coming of the perfect will make Paul the apostle like a man. This was something he had not yet experienced. But he did have the knowledge of scripture. In Ephesians 3:4 he writes“Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)”.

You do not have such far superior understanding of Paul's writings that his understanding was that of a child's in comparison to yours. You are not in a superior position to that of the apostles.

Paul associates perfection with his own resurrection in the book of Philippians.
Now this is simply nothingness. Perfection in this passage is nothing more than completeness. When we are glorified together with Christ gifts will not be an issue or a necessity.
That is a really ignorant statement, and quite false in my experience--unless you are speaking of faith in the resurrection of Christ, which is a great miracle.
You are entitled to your opinion but I cannot make you believe scriptural truth.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

presidente

May 29, 2013
Roger,
Your eisegesis and opinions on this matter are not the same as Biblical truth. You read ideas into the passage that clearly are not there. A great number of cessationist theologians and Bible teachers disagree with your interpretation because it is a poor approach to scripture.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Yes my statement... his law .
Your statement is NOT God's law. Rather, it is both inconsistent with it and contrary to it, as I have demonstrated repeatedly.

Only one verse is needed to refute your position completely. I have provided several in other posts.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You are simply denying the scriptures as they are written.
You add to Scripture to support your unbelief, and the sum total of your response to that accusation is an "Old" icon. You are without excuse.

Mar 28, 2016
Your statement is NOT God's law. Rather, it is both inconsistent with it and contrary to it, as I have demonstrated repeatedly.

Only one verse is needed to refute your position completely. I have provided several in other posts.
That should be easy.

Contrary to His law .What is that law spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14: 22 ?.You have not even tried to show a verse that would set the approval on those who make a noise and fall backward.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What is that law spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14: 22 ?.You have not even tried to show a verse that would set the approval on those who make a noise and fall backward.
Nor will I. I'm done discussing that subject with you.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I don't have garee on my ignore list, but I often skip over his posts.
He still badgers me about this subject, many months after I told him I was done. Meanwhile, he avoids answering a lot of other questions.

CS1

May 23, 2012
You are simply denying the scriptures as they are written. I cannot help your unbelief.

Now this is simply nothingness. Perfection in this passage is nothing more than completeness. When we are glorified together with Christ gifts will not be an issue or a necessity.

You are entitled to your opinion but I cannot make you believe scriptural truth.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
wrong

Jan 12, 2019
It is an essential feature of the gospel, to the Jew first and then the Gentile.

Romans 15:17-19
So in Messiah Yeshua, I have reason to boast before God. For I will not dare to speak of anything except what Messiah accomplished through me, to bring about the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed, in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit of God. So from Jerusalem and around even to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the Good News of Messiah.
Naturally if you think the gospel of the kingdom is still valid today, you will believe in signs and wonders.

But as I have earlier stated, if you cannot show them, it really doesn’t matter anyway that you believe they still hold true today

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Naturally if you think the gospel of the kingdom is still valid today, you will believe in signs and wonders.

But as I have earlier stated, if you cannot show them, it really doesn’t matter anyway that you believe they still hold true today
God still heals and confirms His gospel with signs and wonders, unfettered by the disbelief of those who have not seen them take place. The on-demand "see-to-believe" mindset is nothing new: "Let the Christ, the King of Israel, come down now from the cross that we may see and believe" (Mark 15:32).

Apr 5, 2020
Within the same verse of Scripture being used to claim the Gift of Tongues has ceased, it also lists that knowledge will stop. With access to the internet, I might not be learning more, but I am finding information I had never had access to and at times was unaware of. I would therefore make the claim, if we are still able to learn and gang knowledge, then the Gift of Tongues is still very well in effect.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Within the same verse of Scripture being used to claim the Gift of Tongues has ceased, it also lists that knowledge will stop. With access to the internet, I might not be learning more, but I am finding information I had never had access to and at times was unaware of. I would therefore make the claim, if we are still able to learn and gang knowledge, then the Gift of Tongues is still very well in effect.
Though it does make for a humorous retort on occasion, it's not "knowledge" generally that is in focus here, but rather the spiritual gift of a "word of knowledge". Cessationists usually try to massage this to mean only knowledge that is already contained in Scripture, but the context of chapters 12 and 13 simply does not restrict it to such. They are stuck pretending that all knowledge outside of Scripture is completely irrelevant (while using computers to 'voice' their disagreement).

... gang knowledge
Funny typo, given your user name. ;)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

And if you can't see them, what does it matter that you don't? What difference does it make to you that some believe miracles still happen? Is your faith impinged by their belief? No? Then why are you arguing about it?

Jan 12, 2019
And if you can't see them, what does it matter that you don't? What difference does it make to you that some believe miracles still happen? Is your faith impinged by their belief? No? Then why are you arguing about it?
Trying to understand how others form their conclusions that's all. ;)

Most discussions here should be more to understand how others think, rather than to change their minds.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Trying to understand how others form their conclusions that's all. ;)

Most discussions here should be more to understand how others think, rather than to change their minds.
Fair enough. I certainly have learned a lot about how others think... and seen very little of mind-changing.