Regimented or Nonregimented?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Are you the regimented type or not regimented? I prefer to be regimented because it keeps me disciplined, busy & on time. i'm not the lazy kind so I don't sit around. How about you? Please state a reason too, & thank you all.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Depends.

I like to keep things where they belong, but where they belong is often not... um... traditional. If I want to keep my coffee mug on the arm of the chair, that is THE PLACE where that mug belongs and I want it to stay there. If my (hypothetical) wife wanted to keep putting it in the cabinet because that's the traditional place where mugs belong, we would have a problem.

I like to always be on time. Being late all the time is disrespectful, as it would indicate I don't care if I waste anyone else's time waiting for me.

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
I am more efficient regimented, but I also need to be nonregimented sometimes. I feel if I don't have that nonregimented time occasionally, then I am not as efficient in my regimented time...if that makes any sense. I do not always want to be nonregimented though.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
I am more efficient regimented, but I also need to be nonregimented sometimes. I feel if I don't have that nonregimented time occasionally, then I am not as efficient in my regimented time...if that makes any sense. I do not always want to be nonregimented though.
certainly makes sense. it's all part of the balance of everything we do. i was performing some antique work Friday, the time was about 5:30 & i said to myself, "that's enough, i'm done"!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
*Lynx wanders past and knocks a few things off the shelf, just to add some unregiment.

Happy to help. I'm just here to be a blessing. =^.^=

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
*Lynx wanders past and knocks a few things off the shelf, just to add some unregiment.

Happy to help. I'm just here to be a blessing. =^.^=
Good morning and thanks...just the blessing I needed! :LOL:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Good morning and thanks...just the blessing I needed! :LOL:
Whoops! I added unregiment. You specified NONregiment. Totally different brand.

*Lynx picks up the things he knocked off, then tracks a bit of mud across the kitchen floor.

There. Some nonregiment for ya. In the kitchen where it's easy to regiment when needed, not in the living room where mud in the carpet would be way too much nonregiment.

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
Whoops! I added unregiment. You specified NONregiment. Totally different brand.

*Lynx picks up the things he knocked off, then tracks a bit of mud across the kitchen floor.

There. Some nonregiment for ya. In the kitchen where it's easy to regiment when needed, not in the living room where mud in the carpet would be way too much nonregiment.
Good catch!
I guess I should also be thankful for the blessing of it being just a "bit of mud" instead of a lot of mud! :D

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I completely agree with this, CarriePie.

By nature, I'm like to have things scheduled and be on time, but all too often, life bumps us off track. The work place is a perfect example. I always have a list of things I want to accomplish and a time frame to complete them in, but something always throws a carefully planned agenda off -- 4 emails that come in and need to be answered; a phone call that takes 20+ minutes because the customer wants you to look up something on the other side of the store; a boss with higher ranking who pulls you away from your own boss's agenda.

It drives me crazy but we all have to find out ways to cope. I generally try to start with the most time-sensitive/important tasks and do the best I can with what time I'm given.

In my personal life, I was always frustrated that I set goals for myself with things like my Bible reading, but never quite achieved. Now I know some might say, "Bible reading is CRUCIAL and God must always come first!" But all of us know that real life constantly gets in the way -- a family member is sick, a young relative has an accident, something breaks and needs immediate attention.

I would set a goal of, let's say, reading one page of the Bible per day, then want to give up because numerous things prevented it. But when I changed it to, "I have a week to read 7 Bible pages," that helped a lot. Now I was giving myself the freedom to read more when I had more time, and not feel bad if I had to skip a day or two because I could make it up later.

I know that seems like such an elementary example but I grew up with a lot of rigid rules and regulations, both at home and in school.

I was so used to this -- and failing so often -- that such a simple realization that I could give myself some flexibility has been a total game changer in most every area of life.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

By nature, I'm like to have things scheduled and be on time, but all too often, life bumps us off track. The work place is a perfect example. I always have a list of things I want to accomplish and a time frame to complete them in, but something always throws a carefully planned agenda off -- 4 emails that come in and need to be answered; a phone call that takes 20+ minutes because the customer wants you to look up something on the other side of the store; a boss with higher ranking who pulls you away from your own boss's agenda.

It drives me crazy but we all have to find out ways to cope. I generally try to start with the most time-sensitive/important tasks and do the best I can with what time I'm given.

In my personal life, I was always frustrated that I set goals for myself with things like my Bible reading, but never quite achieved. Now I know some might say, "Bible reading is CRUCIAL and God must always come first!" But all of us know that real life constantly gets in the way -- a family member is sick, a young relative has an accident, something breaks and needs immediate attention.

I would set a goal of, let's say, reading one page of the Bible per day, then want to give up because numerous things prevented it. But when I changed it to, "I have a week to read 7 Bible pages," that helped a lot. Now I was giving myself the freedom to read more when I had more time, and not feel bad if I had to skip a day or two because I could make it up later.

I know that seems like such an elementary example but I grew up with a lot of rigid rules and regulations, both at home and in school.

I was so used to this -- and failing so often -- that such a simple realization that I could give myself some flexibility has been a total game changer in most every area of life.
That's one of the best things about rules you set for yourself. If they prove untenable you can just change them. Like, whenever you want. For no reason, even.

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma

Daily life can be so overwhelming. Figuring out what works best for us and being nonregimented can be absolutely necessary. Btw, I think it's great that you strive to read scriptures! It makes me realize how blessed I am that I have time every morning to read scriptures. I think it's great when you can fit time for scriptures in at any time of the day or week that works best for you. Meanwhile, there are an abundance of people who aren't reading scriptures at all at any time.