Remarried

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
It's better not to marry, if divorce
ask god who can made you partner,
not ask man or women ,
They are not trustworthy

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It's right remarried after divorce?
Hello and welcome to CC, Gladness!
Your question is a bit cryptic, but I'll answer it as though you mean, "Is it acceptable for a Christian to marry after he or she has been divorced?"

The answer depends entirely on the circumstances of the divorce, and even then, not all Christians agree. If the divorce was the result of one partner committing adultery, then remarriage is acceptable. If it was due to the other partner being a non-Christian and choosing to leave, that is also an acceptable reason.

It is important to realize that there are many reasons to end a marriage, but not all those reasons leave a person free to re-marry. If you are a Christian, you will need to read the relevant parts of the Bible, and think and pray about it for yourself.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Depends on the 'divorce', and also who is being married.
With what in my post do you disagree? The "not all Christians agree" part? The "circumstances" part? Or perhaps the "read the Bible for yourself" part?

P

Papou

It's right remarried after divorce?
Why would you want to remarry after divorce ? A lesson learned from life experience is a lesson earned !

presidente

May 29, 2013
I am going to quote various passages on divorce and remarriage from the New Testament below. I use King James because it uses 'put away' which refers to the sending away of the wife. Matthew 19 and Mark 10 are explicit that the context in which Jesus refers to the sending away of the wife is that of a legal divorce with a certificate. This was required by the law of Moses. There are some teachings going around which are sophistry actually, arguing that Jesus was only opposed to putting away without a certificate. This goes contrary to what the text actually says.

The traditional view, which you can find expoused among believers in the earliest centuries of Christianity and was popular in the west certainly before the Protestant Reformation, which is still along the lines of the RCC view, is that divorce is not allowed at all. Mark and Luke's accounts do not allow for divorce because of fornication. I have also read the interpretation that in the Greek of Matthew 19, the exception clause, rendered in the KJV 'except it be for fornication' means that the issue of fornication is not being addressed, as if it means, "without addressing the issue of fornication" as if the topic is not being addressed at all. Whether this was an early interpretation, the traditional view is consistent with this interpretation.

If one does not see this as not addressing the topic, another view is that Jesus was allowing divorce in cases where the bride turned out to have fornicated prior to marriage. One might also interpret 'fornication' to refer to a broad range of sexual immoral behavior, which might be in line with the Shammai Pharisee view, referring to the debate probably being referenced in Mark 10 and Matthew 19. The Hillel Pharisees allowed divorce for any cause the husband chose. Shammai, another Pharisee leader allowed it if the wife committed specific offenses. Hillel was kind of more liberal and Shammai was more stern and strict...usually. They were contemporaries. Hillel is presented as the greater of the two, especially since the Judaism that survived after the temple was derived from Hillel Pharisee Judaism. In the first century, the house of Shammai was more powerful.

Something to note is that there is no passage that allows a woman to divorce and remarry her husband. One passage below specifically forbids it, but there is no 'except it be for fornication' in the case of women divorcing men. The Torah did not make a provision for a woman to give a man a divorce certificate. In the case of a man who would not provide for a concubine, a slave he took as a wife, if he wouldn't feed her, clothe her, and give her sex, he was to divorce her and send her out not keep her as a slave again. But it doesn't say she could give him a certificate, and Jews would have sought to compell a man in such a situation to produce a divorce certificate. Jesus did not address this issue, and he appealed to an earlier revelation about marriage in the time of marriage, attributing divorce to the hardness of their hearts.

Paul forbade husbands putting away their wives and wives departing from their husbands. He does say that he one married to an unbeliever who departs should let him or her depart and is 'not under bondage.' He does not specify that this means to remarry. This advice of Paul's is presented as his advice, not as a commandment.

Many people try to take this passage and make it apply to a marriage between themselves and their Christian spouse. Bible verses can be used in a very 'stretchy' way to justify divorce. "Well, she is acting like an unbeliever the way she is talking to me. No believer would say X or do X to me. She 'departed' from me in her heart long ago. Our relationship was over long ago..... I am going to tell her I'm filing for divorce. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my wife earlier."

Luke 16:18
18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Matthew 5
31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19
3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Mark 10
10 And he arose from thence, and cometh into the coasts of Judaea by the farther side of Jordan: and the people resort unto him again; and, as he was wont, he taught them again.
2 And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.
3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?
4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.
5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

I Corinthians 7
11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.
12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Romans 7
Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.