Resistance

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
What does the Bible tell us about resistance, and how to resist? Any tips and how to put into action...in any situation?

Or do we just go through life never taking a stand about anything.

Dec 12, 2013
Whom Resist steadfast IN THE FAITH <--the system of teaching found in the word....that is how we resist the devil.....proven by Jesus in his temptation....all three recorded times he quotes scripture and sticks to his "guns"....

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Whom Resist steadfast IN THE FAITH <--the system of teaching found in the word....that is how we resist the devil.....proven by Jesus in his temptation....all three recorded times he quotes scripture and sticks to his "guns"....
I wouldnt say 'guns' I would say abiding in Jesus and keeping up our shield of faith.

Christians are generally non violent, and peaceful I am appalled that some think its ok to use guns on others.

Dec 12, 2013
I wouldnt say 'guns' I would say abiding in Jesus and keeping up our shield of faith.

Christians are generally non violent, and peaceful I am appalled that some think its ok to use guns on others.
It is equally appalling that some would pray while their daughter or wife were being raped or murdered........!

And I said what I said....he stuck to his guns <--maybe look the word symbolic up!!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Abide in the vine.
The weapons of our warfare are not carnal.

Just a reminder. I dont think the Bible ever mentions we ought to be physically armed. But spiitually armed with the sword of the spirit, which is the Word. We use this sword is a dividing sword though, cutting through to reveal the truth, its not used to kill people or to stab. Quite a different kind of weapon to guns.

Guns and bullet are basically an updated weapon of the old sling shot. Do we throw stones at others? Only if we are not without sin. I would be careful what words to use, even if its just idioms.

Jun 10, 2019
Resist being mad at others.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
Abide in the vine.
The weapons of our warfare are not carnal.

Just a reminder. I dont think the Bible ever mentions we ought to be physically armed. But spiitually armed with the sword of the spirit, which is the Word. We use this sword is a dividing sword though, cutting through to reveal the truth, its not used to kill people or to stab. Quite a different kind of weapon to guns.

Guns and bullet are basically an updated weapon of the old sling shot. Do we throw stones at others? Only if we are not without sin. I would be careful what words to use, even if its just idioms.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+19:19-21&version=NIV

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
An interesting thing I read recently was that Martin Luther had some grievances against the rcc so what he did was nail 95 theses to the church door at wittenburg. He didnt yell or throw stones or shoot the priests or pope. He nailed his complaints to the door for everyone to read.

That was his protest. This was before he parted with the RCC. Is this a form of resistance? Is it saying, this is wrong, declaring it, then voting with your feet. Cos apparently the rcc didnt change its practices, the wolves were already inside. He couldnt do anything about it, they continued to sell indulgences and worship Mary. Etc.

I think it took many years for the rcc to change but most people afterward knew it was corrupt after reading the Bible and so just avoided the rcc all together.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
This was Jesus though, not us. Only he can confront satan. If you try to do it on your own you wont have the power. What Jesus taught is that we can just say to them leave and they will leave cos of his delegated power.

Unless you are telling me you literally kill people all the time with your sword and have battled satan and false prophets amd killed them? That would be news to me as I dont know anyone whos done that.

Mar 23, 2016
James 4:7-8 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.

We are to be submitted to God ... the words "submit yourselves" are translated from the Greek word hypotassō from 5259 /hypó, "under" and 5021 /tássō, "arrange") – properly, "under God's arrangement," i.e. submitting to the Lord

We are to resist ... Greek anthistēmi (from 473 /antí, "opposite/against" and 2476 /hístēmi, "to stand") – properly, take a complete stand against, i.e. a "180 degree, contrary position"; (figuratively) to establish one's position publicly by conspicuously "holding one's ground," i.e. refusing to be moved ("pushed back")

When we are submitted to God, we draw near to Him and He draws near to us. Then, when we find ourselves in the position where we must steadfastly resist, we are strengthened from within as God works in us to perfect, establish, strengthen and settle us ... see 1 Peter 5:6-11 to see how God works within us as we endure the suffering of this present time ... standing against the devil as he seeks to devour.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
An interesting thing I read recently was that Martin Luther had some grievances against the rcc so what he did was nail 95 theses to the church door at wittenburg. He didnt yell or throw stones or shoot the priests or pope. He nailed his complaints to the door for everyone to read.

That was his protest. This was before he parted with the RCC. Is this a form of resistance? Is it saying, this is wrong, declaring it, then voting with your feet. Cos apparently the rcc didnt change its practices, the wolves were already inside. He couldnt do anything about it, they continued to sell indulgences and worship Mary. Etc.

I think it took many years for the rcc to change but most people afterward knew it was corrupt after reading the Bible and so just avoided the rcc all together.

Think about it in Revelation 19:19-21 those who received the mark and worshiped the image were spiritually dead already because of what they did. So you think the sword of the Lords mouth does not kill like guns but if they are already spiritually dead because they worshiped the image and received the mark then being killed only leaves physical death being accomplishd by the sword of his mouth.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Think about it in Revelation 19:19-21 those who received the mark and worshiped the image were spiritually dead already because of what they did. So you think the sword of the Lords mouth does not kill like guns but if they are already spiritually dead because they worshiped the image and received the mark then being killed only leaves physical death being accomplishd by the sword of his mouth.
Oh ok but there is no truth in them, so nothing to save I suppose.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I was thinking how after the fall God punished the serpent, not by killing or destroying him, but by cursing him to crawl on his belly and putting hostility or enmity between him and the woman. She would bruise his head he would bruise her heel.

Never again would women think interacting with a serpent was a good thing. Is this resistance, knowing that some things are not good but evil and that means you are not to taken in. Or is it brusing the heads of all those tempations so they cannot rise up as strike again.

Note that God didnt remove the serpent from earth completely.

Apr 3, 2019
I would be more concerned with Christians capacitance to absorb bogus teachings rather their inductance to the truth and their reluctance to examine their "beliefs".

r = l/μA

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I would be more concerned with Christians capacitance to absorb bogus teachings rather their inductance to the truth and their reluctance to examine their "beliefs".

r = l/μA
By christians of course you mean yourself, if you are a christian...or are you? Theres no us or them, its we...if we are believers

Maybe we all need to do some self-examination to really find out what we believe. There was a book I remember readng written for young women called LIES young women believe, and it was written for young women who might have grown up in church and had exposure to the gospel, yet still believed in lies, possibly because they did not resist those lies.

I think its easy for children and young adults to just go along to church because they are told to or their families go, and never really figure out what they believe. But going to church doesnt make you immune to lies because, most people dont go to church everyday.

Maybe there are some questions we can all ask ourselves. Is it ok to lie?

Are we gluttonous? Do we eat more than our fair share while others go hungry?

Do we watch tv and listen to advertising more than time praying or reading scripture?

Do we covet what other people have and dream about ways of being wealthy for ourselves and forget that we have an inheritance in heaven? Do we buy too much and then need to chuck it away?

Do we think more highly of ourselves than others?

U

UnderGrace

Cos apparently the rcc didnt change its practices,
Actually, the church did go through a counter reformation and many practices were changed.

U

UnderGrace

It is equally appalling that some would pray while their daughter or wife were being raped or murdered........!

And I said what I said....he stuck to his guns <--maybe look the word symbolic up!!
Agree... a "just war" against tyranny/self defense is the reason for the right to bear arms.

7seasrekeyed

most of us call that the Reformation

that was actually a pretty big deal

he was known to have an abrasive personality and was not a pacifist nor was he resisting

he basically created a rebellion against the Catholic Church

history is an interesting accompaniment to the facts

7seasrekeyed

By christians of course you mean yourself, if you are a christian...or are you? Theres no us or them, its we...if we are believers

Maybe we all need to do some self-examination to really find out what we believe. There was a book I remember readng written for young women called LIES young women believe, and it was written for young women who might have grown up in church and had exposure to the gospel, yet still believed in lies, possibly because they did not resist those lies.

I think its easy for children and young adults to just go along to church because they are told to or their families go, and never really figure out what they believe. But going to church doesnt make you immune to lies because, most people dont go to church everyday.

Maybe there are some questions we can all ask ourselves. Is it ok to lie?

Are we gluttonous? Do we eat more than our fair share while others go hungry?

Do we watch tv and listen to advertising more than time praying or reading scripture?

Do we covet what other people have and dream about ways of being wealthy for ourselves and forget that we have an inheritance in heaven? Do we buy too much and then need to chuck it away?

Do we think more highly of ourselves than others?

what we believe is a very complex set of experience, teaching, results and a myriad of other things

we can also throw intelligence into the mix with traits we are born with and have learned along the way

this is why God looks on the heart. He understands us better than we do

with that in mind, asking Him to search our hearts and reveal ourselves to ourselves is the best practice. we can also ask Him to create a clean heart in us. going over a list of sins, while sounding helpful, is actually not all that helpful. many people begin to feel like a failure when they do that, especially if they are not versed on what scripture has to say regarding our natures

Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139: 23-24

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

7seasrekeyed

sorry, but that is not factual

the Catholic church is the largest church in the world and they do refer to themselves as Christian...which they always have of course

Effects of Luther's 'Reformaton'

1. It disarmed the ecclesial meritocracy that suppressed the common man.

2. It reclaimed a biblical idea of the pastorate

3. It restored the sacraments to the people—and began untethering church from state.

4. It paved the way for cooperation that upheld unity amid theological diversity.

an interesting read for anyone who like to flesh out the bones of what occurred post Luther's proclamation

HERE