Rest

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Rest is not the cessation of activity. Rest is operating from a position of legitimately delegated authority and doing nothin in your own strength. You are free to function according to the terms and condition of your authority because the One whose authority was delegated to you guarantees the outcome, so long as you function within the scope of the authority.

Hebrews 4:9-11 “There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.”

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Rest is the certainty that God knows the end from the beginning and has already resolved every matter that you are about to encounter. It is by faith that you enter into His rest; for they who believe enter His rest. Your Father has determined the purpose for your being in this world and that purpose may be pursued fully from a state of complete trust in Him. From this position of rest in the certainty of God as our Father, we willfully obey, doing only what our Father shows us. That is God’s rest into which you are invited, as His son, to come and remain, for God has foreordained the course of your life.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Rest IS the cessation of activity.

For the Christian, this simply means we no longer work FOR Righteousness. We rest in the Righteousness we have received from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

We do the work that God has made us for, regardless of whether the world thinks we are unrighteous/righteous for doing them. And really, regardless of whether other "christians" think we are unrighteous for doing them.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
When you diligently seek Him, He brings you to a condition of rest that is like death. The process of seeking God requires you to come to a condition of not resisting God. And He will test you again and again to see what remains of resistance to Him in you. God has to bring the soul to the place of no ability to resist, where it does not scare you that you do not have any solutions. The result is that your faith in the living God is not just a religious position; your faith in the living God is the foundation upon which you live. It is the answer to the question: "by whose strength are you doing what you are called to do?"

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

Your Father means to break down the default setting of the world that causes you to rely upon the work of your own hands. Step by step, event by event, result by result, God means to wean you out of the toil of the sweat of your brow and bring you back into the rest that He created for you to function within. When that happens, you can enter His rest, and cease from your labors, and join into the eternal flow of His purposes.

"For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now."

Entering into God’s rest is where you lie down in the fundamental truth that God is your Father, and He will reward you with His presence when you diligently seek Him. His presence comes with everything necessary for life and godliness. Do not underestimate the power of the rest of God that resides in you. God established the earth to function best at that command of a people who are at rest. There are some wide horizons to be retaken by the sons of God in the earth, and that is why we must labor to enter His rest.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Rest is not the cessation of activity. Rest is operating from a position of legitimately delegated authority and doing nothin in your own strength. You are free to function according to the terms and condition of your authority because the One whose authority was delegated to you guarantees the outcome, so long as you function within the scope of the authority.

Hebrews 4:9-11 “There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.”
I totally agree with what is said here above -----Resting in God is such a great freeing thing for us ----the burden of trying to conquer situations on our own strength is removed and that peace that surpasses all human understanding is present ------we can continually say ----ALL IS WELL ----

This Scripture comes to mind to show exactly what resting in God really is ---This woman holds her son as he dies and knows that this Man Elisha who is God's Servant will raise him up ----She has put off the burden of fret and worry ---sorrow and sadness ----and is totally Resting in God for the strength to endure her bad situation and is able to SAY ____ALL IS WELL -----amazing ---not many of us will ever reach that goal -----

Read all here ---I just posted this part ----
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 Kings 4:18-37&version=ESV

Elisha Raises the Shunammite's Son

18 When the child had grown, he went out one day to his father among the reapers. 19 And he said to his father, “Oh, my head, my head!” The father said to his servant, “Carry him to his mother.” 20 And when he had lifted him and brought him to his mother, the child sat on her lap till noon, and then he died. 21 And she went up and laid him on the bed of the man of God and shut the door behind him and went out. 22 Then she called to her husband and said, “Send me one of the servants and one of the donkeys, that I may quickly go to the man of God and come back again.”

23 And he said, “Why will you go to him today? It is neither new moon nor Sabbath.” She said, “All is well.”

24 Then she saddled the donkey, and she said to her servant, “Urge the animal on; do not slacken the pace for me unless I tell you.” 25 So she set out and came to the man of God at Mount Carmel.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh so leaders ARE lazy and get everyone else to do their work for them? Is that why they put their feet up on top of their desks?

Jun 12, 2021

https://www.gotquestions.org/work-in-heaven.html

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

“And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭14:13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

our sabbath rest is waiting in the promised land of Christ the paradise ahead

“These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:13, 16‬ ‭

we’re just passing through this world on our way home where our sabbath rest remains

Mofastus

May 23, 2019
For me, rest is finding God, which is also to enter the kingdom of God, or more simply, to be born again. Being made free by the Comforter we were sealed with when we first believed, unknowing the strong meat that is to be given once we become of full age, which is His teaching and confirmation beyond that which we've already been given to know, through our own brokenness before Him, in following Him. Being filled with His fullness that He alone gives the increase in. Bringing the believer to what they ought to know instead of what they think they know.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Rest IS the cessation of activity.

For the Christian, this simply means we no longer work FOR Righteousness. We rest in the Righteousness we have received from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

We do the work that God has made us for, regardless of whether the world thinks we are unrighteous/righteous for doing them. And really, regardless of whether other "christians" think we are unrighteous for doing them.
Thanks Grandpa, you have explained the spiritual meaning of rest well, but although the Lord is spirit and this is the root of understanding, still scripture is also literally true in the fleshly sense. What you say is so absolutely true, but it is also true that we are to rest in the fleshly sense of rest.

God has many dimensions. We belong to God and must listen to ALL God tells us. Faith is more than sitting on a hill with our hands folded murmuring "I believe". Faith requires actions to show that belief.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Thanks Grandpa, you have explained the spiritual meaning of rest well, but although the Lord is spirit and this is the root of understanding, still scripture is also literally true in the fleshly sense. What you say is so absolutely true, but it is also true that we are to rest in the fleshly sense of rest.

God has many dimensions. We belong to God and must listen to ALL God tells us. Faith is more than sitting on a hill with our hands folded murmuring "I believe". Faith requires actions to show that belief.
amen as Christians we don’t sit and do nothing because we believe. We believe and so we then do. Our rest is after this world where we labor

“There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4:9-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

simply put faith is believing what Jesus said and the. The belief is meant to teach us what to do to enter our rest like Abraham entered his rest after he soujoirned the earth as a stranger and pilgrim Abraham knew what Christianity has forgotten our promised land is Not of this world nor our sabbath rest

“These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:13-14, 16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

we’re not going to find a sabbath rest until we exit the world and enter the kingdom

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
There is no one kind of rest. There are many, many forms of rest.

Dec 9, 2011
Some who IMO are milk drinking think that keeping the sabbath Is resting and while they may be resting physically they may be worried about somthing SO much that they can’t fall asleep and that’s not true rest.
John 6:63
King James Version

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Matthew 11:28-29
King James Version

28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

John 4:24
King James Version

God is a SPIRIT: and they that worship him must worship HIM in Spirit and in truth.
+++

Side note:If JESUS were to come walking around the corner,some would run up and hug HIS shadow.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh Jesus has a shadow?

If Hes the light of the world I dont think he would be casting shadows.

Jesus would be cruising on his boat and napping in the middle of a storm. Everyone would be panicking and running round like headless chooks and he be like. ZZZ

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
When God reveals a standard it is by that standard that everything else is measured. Certainly, "rest" would look something like we think "rest" looks like (not working) but it does not capture the deep meaning of the standard. Rest is a state of being. The word for “rest” is the Greek word, katapausis, and it literally means "to repose, to lie down"; but it also means abode, a place which is your home, your rest, your location. Rest is simply the question: Who do you trust? The greatest of our inheritances is to come into God’s rest, which is to trust Him. Rest is the state of being in which God is, and to which we are invited to be when we are in Christ. In His rest we cease from all of our own labors, the economy of the sweat of our brow, and do only that which He instructs us to do. In the economy of rest, we encounter the provision of God.

It's not as if we partake in the economy of brow sweat for six days of the week and on the seventh we do not. One in the position of resting with God never takes up his or her own work. If we go to work it is knowing that God sent us to the place of our employment to be like Him in the midst of the business. Furthermore, "economy" is intimately tied to our dwelling place and our family home. When we are in the economy of God we rightfully abide in His presence no matter our location AND we are given the resources to carry out our business therein. If we are sent to work (like many of us are), we do so by the grace of God.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Some who IMO are milk drinking think that keeping the sabbath Is resting and while they may be resting physically they may be worried about somthing SO much that they can’t fall asleep and that’s not true rest.
John 6:63
King James Version

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Matthew 11:28-29
King James Version

28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

John 4:24
King James Version

God is a SPIRIT: and they that worship him must worship HIM in Spirit and in truth.
+++

Side note:If JESUS were to come walking around the corner,some would run up and hug HIS shadow.
In other words, put on the WHOLE armor of the Lord, not just part. Rest as the Lord tells us has many parts. To rest physically is only one part and means nothing if we do not rest spiritually. To truly have faith in Christ and what Christ tells us, if we limit our rest to only spiritual rest we are not showing true faith in Christ's word. They work together.

Dec 9, 2011
In other words, put on the WHOLE armor of the Lord, not just part. Rest as the Lord tells us has many parts. To rest physically is only one part and means nothing if we do not rest spiritually. To truly have faith in Christ and what Christ tells us, if we limit our rest to only spiritual rest we are not showing true faith in Christ's word. They work together.
A person cannot rest Spiritually unless their Spirit has been made perfect by GOD then their soul/mind will be at ease and their body will be at ease also and that's true rest.

Mofastus

May 23, 2019
Hebrews 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Hebrews 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Hebrews 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Hebrews 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Thank you for this refreshing teaching.