Revelation 17:8

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 26, 2012
You certainly show NO aptitude for interpreting last day prophetic truth, you certainly have done no praying or studying on it!

Your interpretation is coloured by sectarianism!

For those interested you can find a bit of a study Here on the identity of The Woman in Rev 17. (Rev 17v18)
Let me guess...you’re Catholic? City of Rome, Church of Rome? I’ve done quite a bit of study...at least enough to know that most people who speak emphatically about their views usually end up correcting themselves later.

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
Mary kept what she did not quite understand to herself when confronted with something Jesus did that was beyond her.

NOw, my judge and jury, I have quoted the word in my post. Continue to give yur opinions on Revelation keeping in mind when I say with God as my witness you make certain yu let people know you are simply guessing at the meanings and you do not truly know.

Hello to Jesse and Frank.
You're the one that prescribed your own advice. I just pointed out you weren't taking it. Here's an idea. You worry about you. I will worry about me. Why do you need God as your witness...for what?

Quantrill

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
The beast would be the revised or reborn roman empire (who had died, and gone into perdition) spoken of By Daniel Who will be in power when christ returns.
The Roman empire will certainly be involved. But, in Johns day it still existed. And in the revelation he received, it says the beast "was, and is not..." So that removes the empire as being who is being addressed.

And it is clearly a person. (Rev. 17:10-11).

Quantrill

E

eternally-gratefull

The Roman empire will certainly be involved. But, in Johns day it still existed. And in the revelation he received, it says the beast "was, and is not..." So that removes the empire as being who is being addressed.

And it is clearly a person. (Rev. 17:10-11).

Quantrill
Nope Because John is righting to a future people. Ie to those people. The beast will have died.

Again, it fits Daniels description of the gentile kingdoms (Beasts)

By the way, The head of the beast is always a person. Babylon was the first beast, Nebachadnezzar was told himself he was that beast.

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
Nope Because John is righting to a future people. Ie to those people. The beast will have died.

Again, it fits Daniels description of the gentile kingdoms (Beasts)

By the way, The head of the beast is always a person. Babylon was the first beast, Nebachadnezzar was told himself he was that beast.
The angel who is explaining the revelation is giving it to John in reference to the time they were in. "The beast that thou sawest was, and is not;" (18:8)

(18:11) "And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth...and goeth into perdition. Empires don't go into perdition. Living beings do. And it says, "he is the eighth".

Without a doubt, the revised Roman empire is also identified as a beast. But I believe (18:8) and (18:11) makes it clear that the beast who was and is not, is a man.

Quantrill

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You're the one that prescribed your own advice. I just pointed out you weren't taking it. Here's an idea. You worry about you. I will worry about me. Why do you need God as your witness...for what?

Quantrill

Young man or woman, you did not undersand what i POSTED EITHER TIME. I said when I do not understnd something I keep it to myself until it is given me. yOU KEEP TELLING AND NOT SHARING WHAT YOU THINK......TIME WILL PROVE ALL.

E

eternally-gratefull

The angel who is explaining the revelation is giving it to John in reference to the time they were in. "The beast that thou sawest was, and is not;" (18:8)

(18:11) "And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth...and goeth into perdition. Empires don't go into perdition. Living beings do. And it says, "he is the eighth".

Without a doubt, the revised Roman empire is also identified as a beast. But I believe (18:8) and (18:11) makes it clear that the beast who was and is not, is a man.

Quantrill
The beast thou sawest was.....

John was seing into the future, The angel told him, at that time (when he was witnessing these events) this beast was, and is not.

Prophesy must be interpreted as it is seen.. Jhn was seeing into the future, Not in his day, So you can not interpret it according to what was going on in his day, it was not the context of the future.

Daniel saw what he thought was one beast concerning the legs and feet and the final beast, when in actuality he saw two beasts, but both were the same (what we know of as rome, or europe)

You could not interpret the fourth beast by looking at daniels day it had not come yet. Same with the revelation interpretation.

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
Young man or woman, you did not undersand what i POSTED EITHER TIME. I said when I do not understnd something I keep it to myself until it is given me. yOU KEEP TELLING AND NOT SHARING WHAT YOU THINK......TIME WILL PROVE ALL.
You word things the way you want, and I will word things the way I want.

Quantrill

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
The beast thou sawest was.....

John was seing into the future, The angel told him, at that time (when he was witnessing these events) this beast was, and is not.

Prophesy must be interpreted as it is seen.. Jhn was seeing into the future, Not in his day, So you can not interpret it according to what was going on in his day, it was not the context of the future.

Daniel saw what he thought was one beast concerning the legs and feet and the final beast, when in actuality he saw two beasts, but both were the same (what we know of as rome, or europe)

You could not interpret the fourth beast by looking at daniels day it had not come yet. Same with the revelation interpretation.
If the angel is speaking as if John is in the future, then why would he say, the beast 'is not'? If John is writing as if he is in the future, then the beast 'was not'.

Why is the beast spoken of as a man in (18:11)?

Quantrill

E

eternally-gratefull

If the angel is speaking as if John is in the future, then why would he say, the beast 'is not'? If John is writing as if he is in the future, then the beast 'was not'.

Why is the beast spoken of as a man in (18:11)?

Quantrill
1. I told you, all beasts were men, They were the leaders of the kingdom with which they sat on the throne (babylon was th ebeast, Nebachadnezzar was the man)
2. It is in the passage, The 8th beast had not yet come..

9 “Here is the mind which has wisdom: The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits. 10 There are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, and the other has not yet come. And when he comes, he must continue a short time. 11 The beast that was, and is not, is himself also the eighth, and is of the seven, and is going to [f]perdition.

Who are the seven kings? They are the kings which have ruled Over Isreal

1. Egypt
2. Syria
3. babylon
4. Media persia
5. Greece

These 5 had fallen

1 is (rome was in power)

1 is yet to come (future rome, the beast who was, and is not, and is yet to come) looking from the perspctive of the time when John was looking.

The beast will be the antichrist. Who is also called the son of perdition. (Judas was the only other I know who was called this,) Who will be defeated by Jesus himself. And cast out.

Nov 18, 2018
Is it possible the the phrase ‘who was, and is not’ is a description of something that existed at the time of John and will also exist at that time in the future?

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Is it possible the the phrase ‘who was, and is not’ is a description of something that existed at the time of John and will also exist at that time in the future?
The book of Revelation is mostly a poetic depiction of life at the time of John.

Nov 18, 2018
The book of Revelation is mostly a poetic depiction of life at the time of John.
Embankment, if that’s true then why has no culture recorded 1/3 of the grass being burnt, or all of the sea life dying, or a slew of other events mentioned in the book? Revelation seems more like a historical account, not poetry at all...

E

eternally-gratefull

So when God prophesys, it is poetry, not God saying somethigh will happen to prove he is the one true God.

Who is God to you? What proof is there that he exists?

E

eternally-gratefull

Going off Daniels prophesies, which I believe Revelations is God taking the prophesies given to Daniel and exanding on them further, I would say No. Rome (the 7th beast to rule over Israel) was still in existence. It had not yet died.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Until all is revealed of the last moments of what is now called time it is a dangerous endeavor to "interpret" Revelation and Daniel.

When it is time, all will know and understand the meaning of the words, until then, I follow the exampleof Mary, keeping it to myself, even what I believe untill it is truly revealed.

Here is the post again, are you going to repeat what you already perverted about what it means? Good bye my friend.

Nov 18, 2018
Here is the post again, are you going to repeat what you already perverted about what it means? Good bye my friend.
JamielJ Rev 1:3 states ‘blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear...’ Revelation is the only book in the Bible that promises a blessing to the readers and hearers.

Nov 18, 2018
Going off Daniels prophesies, which I believe Revelations is God taking the prophesies given to Daniel and exanding on them further, I would say No. Rome (the 7th beast to rule over Israel) was still in existence. It had not yet died.
Well it’s possible that a derivative of the Roman Empire will exist at this time in the future, if it doesn’t already exist (Roman Catholic)

Mar 28, 2016
At the time(year) this was written who or what rose or will rise from the pit/abyss?
The first death going into perdition the second and final. Its the end of the age. The last day.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
JamielJ Rev 1:3 states ‘blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear...’ Revelation is the only book in the Bible that promises a blessing to the readers and hearers.
I sincerely believe it blesses all. Please read what preceded that post and to which it is addressed and why.

I used to always read it and Daniel back-to-back because they speak of the same events. I am blessed, but at present, like Daniel, I hav yet been given to understand the inticancies of the books, however because of faith I believe them, and all of the Word. Thank you. God bless you for sharig.