Rigthly dividing the Word.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

louis

Nov 1, 2017
When scriptures speak of rightly dividing the Word, we see an example of the Bereans in Acts 17 who regularly studied the Word, recognizing that what Paul was preaching to them correlated with scriptures.
In contrast, when Paul earlier preached Christ to another group of Jews, his message was not accepted, as they did not regularly study the Word. These less noble individuals instead preferred their dogmas which denied scriptures.
We see both groups here on this forum.
When someone shows with numerous scriptures what something represents, and that correlate with other scriptures; we then often see less studied in the Word individuals who raise one or two cherry picked scripture from which they form dogmas contradicting the Word.
These individuals do not care that there are numerous scriptures in contradiction to their dogmas; instead, they, like the less noble group Paul encountered in Thessalonian, prefer the deception the devil feeds them, as the devil does paint a pretty picture.
So what is the take on all this? If one believes that the Lord is a rewarder of them who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6), they will then know the truth, and not spout Satan's deceptions.
Study the Word. Peace.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Apr 15, 2017
Most people go by their denomination that lays a foundation for them, already prepared for them like a manual, and a lot do not question it but go along with it for it sounds right to them, or that is the way they like to hear it.

We will come to a better understanding of the Bible by reading it and allowing the Spirit to show us the truth, for we want to hear the word of God, but we need not that any person teach us but the Spirit will teach us, and guide us in to all truth.

2Ti 3:4 lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Many people are not being taught by the Spirit.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Many people are not being taught by the Spirit.
You can only be taught by the Spirit if you are ready, willing, and able to put some SERIOUS EFFORT into Bible study.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim 2:15)

What exactly is this verse saying? The word "study" translated from the Greek σπουδάζω (spoudazo) literally means several things: give diligence, be zealous, make haste, be eager, exert yourself, and the rest of the verse makes it clear that this is in connection with "the Word of Truth" (the Word of God). It requires hard work to properly study Scripture. This is not merely reading, but actual study.

The allusion to a workman can be applied to a miner who goes underground in order to expend blood, toil, and tears to extract diamonds which are of great value. And "rightly dividing" alludes to a surgeon who wields his scalpel skillfully in order to successfully complete his surgery. For Christians, it means correctly interpreting in the light of Gospel truth and all Bible truth.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
How about spelling Rigthly right for a start?

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Rightly divide. Divide what? The covenants of course. When was the old covenant fulfilled and when did the new covenant begin?
AT THE CROSS.

Just a reminder......the Cross of Christ was at the END of His ministry. People confuse the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as being part of the new covenant, when in fact the entire ministry of Jesus Christ was while under the LAW. The Law had yet to be abolished as a means of grace.

Book of Hebrews explains this in detail.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
When scriptures speak of rightly dividing the Word, we see an example of the Bereans in Acts 17 who regularly studied the Word, recognizing that what Paul was preaching to them correlated with scriptures.
In contrast, when Paul earlier preached Christ to another group of Jews, his message was not accepted, as they did not regularly study the Word. These less noble individuals instead preferred their dogmas which denied scriptures.
When someone shows with numerous scriptures what something represents, and that correlate with other scriptures; we then often see less studied in the Word individuals who raise one or two cherry picked scripture from which they form dogmas contradicting the Word.
These individuals do not care that there are numerous scriptures in contradiction to their dogmas; instead, they, like the less noble group Paul encountered in Thessalonian, prefer the deception the devil feeds them, as the devil does paint a pretty picture.
So what is the take on all this? If one believes that the Lord is a rewarder of them who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6), they will then know the truth, and not spout Satan's deceptions.
Study the Word. Peace.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
So, are you saying that anyone who disagrees with your particular "dividing" of the Word is as those you describe above? Is your "dividing" the only Biblical Truth?

Sep 3, 2016
Study the Word. Peace.

God's definition of "noble" is receiving the Word with all readiness of mind. We seek Him on the premise of Christ and Him Crucified (1 Cor. 2:2). Notice two subjects: Christ and the Cross. Why would the Apostle Paul say such a thing? Because that is the only way we receive victory over sin, the world, the flesh, and the devil!

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Rightly divide. Divide what? The covenants of course. When was the old covenant fulfilled and when did the new covenant begin?
AT THE CROSS.

Just a reminder......the Cross of Christ was at the END of His ministry. People confuse the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as being part of the new covenant, when in fact the entire ministry of Jesus Christ was while under the LAW. The Law had yet to be abolished as a means of grace.

Book of Hebrews explains this in detail.
Hebrews 8:1-6 King James Version (KJV)
8 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.
3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.
4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

I understand what you are saying, but Jesus resurrected to the work of ministry as our High Priest, having to apply His blood in the true tabernacle (which the earthly was a figure of), being in the presence of God for us (as mediator).

Hebrews 7 goes into detail about this, as does Hebrews 8 (above). Also...

Hebrews 9:11-12 King James Version (KJV)
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

I find His role as our High Priest fascinating in revealing our redemption, sin's remission, and total forgiveness of sin we have.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
God's definition of "noble" is receiving the Word with all readiness of mind. We seek Him on the premise of Christ and Him Crucified (1 Cor. 2:2). Notice two subjects: Christ and the Cross. Why would the Apostle Paul say such a thing? Because that is the only way we receive victory over sin, the world, the flesh, and the devil!
"Christ and Him crucified" does not represent Christ and the cross; it represents the person of Christ (deity) and the death of Christ (atoning sacrifice). The instrument of Christ's death was indeed a cross, but the important thing is Who died, not the thing on which He died.

louis

Nov 1, 2017
So, are you saying that anyone who disagrees with your particular "dividing" of the Word is as those you describe above? Is your "dividing" the only Biblical Truth?
I thought I was pretty clear. I will rephrase.
When someone makes a point about scripture, and supports their claim with numerous scriptures corroborating their perspective, that individual's perspective then has a greater likelihood of being correct than does someone who cherry picks a scripture or two and creates a perspective that deny various other scriptures.

The devil currently deceives us all (Revelation 12:9), and as such many of the pretty perspectives people here have, are in fact Satan's false illumination (2 Corinthians 11:14). We need the full Word put together correctly, while not denying some of the Word, as Satan's false illumination cannot fit the whole Word into the false picture he paints in so many of us. Let's not be like the first group Paul encountered in Thessalonica who preferred the pretty kindergarten picture the deceiver of the whole world had painted in their minds and hearts.

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I see what you are saying, and, to a degree, I think it is true. However, I do not think we can reduce Biblical Truth to which side of the argument has the most number of Scriptures.

If I believe one thing and have 15 Scriptures to support my belief and you believe differently but only have 8 Scriptures to support your view.......does that automatically make my view the Biblical Truth?

People can take pretty much any idea/concept/theory/ideology and find Scripture to support them, right?

Not sure, but I get the feeling there is a specific reason for your putting this concept forth. Do you have a specific theology/ideology in mind to justify with this concept? Just wondering........

:)

I do not see how the devil enters into this............you are speaking of believers debating Scripture with other believers, right? Satan may well have deceived the whole world, but we are not of the world, we are just passing through.......... and, if we have the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, we do not have to worry about being deceived by the devil............in my opinion.

Anyway, just wondering about this is all

louis

Nov 1, 2017
The context of the more noble in Acts 17 is that they diligently sought the Lord by studying the Word, whereas the less noble were thus
due to their fictitious perspective of what was in the Word.

Mar 23, 2016
"Christ and Him crucified" does not represent Christ and the cross; it represents the person of Christ (deity) and the death of Christ (atoning sacrifice). The instrument of Christ's death was indeed a cross, but the important thing is Who died, not the thing on which He died.
I believe it is crucial to also understand the resurrection. When we confess Jesus Christ is Lord and believe in our heart that God raised Jesus Christ from the dead we are saved (Rom 10:9).

louis

Nov 1, 2017
I see what you are saying, and, to a degree, I think it is true. However, I do not think we can reduce Biblical Truth to which side of the argument has the most number of Scriptures.

If I believe one thing and have 15 Scriptures to support my belief and you believe differently but only have 8 Scriptures to support your view.......does that automatically make my view the Biblical Truth?

People can take pretty much any idea/concept/theory/ideology and find Scripture to support them, right?

Not sure, but I get the feeling there is a specific reason for your putting this concept forth. Do you have a specific theology/ideology in mind to justify with this concept? Just wondering........

:)

I do not see how the devil enters into this............you are speaking of believers debating Scripture with other believers, right? Satan may well have deceived the whole world, but we are not of the world, we are just passing through.......... and, if we have the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, we do not have to worry about being deceived by the devil............in my opinion.

Anyway, just wondering about this is all
Below is an example of putting scriptures together in corroboration of each other, which then provide a more clear picture as to what is being said.

God is love (1 John 4:8 & 16).
When the Antichrist shews himself to be God (2 Thessalonians 2:4), this means that he sees himself as the peoples love.
And rightly so, as he will be the peoples love. The whole faithless world is going to be in love with the Beast's and its mouth's (the Antichrist's) system (Revelation 13:4).
His new system will be so much loved, it will even be sitting in the hearts of the faithful (2 Thessalonians 2:4); where it ought not be standing, in the holy place (Mark 13:14), the Lords temple, within His people's hearts (1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 6:19; 2 Corinthians 6:16), and thereby overcoming the saints (Revelation 13:7), and wearing them out (Daniel 7:25).
In comparison to my correlating these scriptures together, people continue to cherry pick and assert many false perspectives denying the whole of these scriptures.

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

2 Thessalonians 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Revelation 13:4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

Revelation 13:7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

Daniel 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

Mark 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Here's another example:

The Precious Blood of Jesus

1. Leviticus 17:11, 14 (cp. Deuteronomy 12:23) “For the life of the flesh
is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an
atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement
for the soul…. For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life
thereof …”
2. Hebrews 9:22 “Without the shedding of blood, there is
no remission of sins.”
3. 1 John 1:7″… the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth
us from all sin.”
5. Exodus 12:13 “… and when I see the blood, I will pass over
you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you,
when I smite the land of Egypt.”
6. Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him (Satan) by the blood
of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony …”
7. Hebrews 9:14 “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who
through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God,
purge your conscience …
8. Hebrews 10:19, 22 “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter
into the holiest by the blood of Jesus … Let us draw near with a true
heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an
evil conscience …”
9. Hebrews 13:12 “Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify
the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.”
10. Romans 3:24-25 “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;”
11. Romans 5:9 “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

Leviticus 17:11, 14 (cp. Deuteronomy 12:23) “For the life of the flesh
thereof …”

Hebrews 9:22 “Without the shedding of blood, there is
no remission of sins.”

1 John 1:7″… the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth
us from all sin.”

Exodus 12:13 “… and when I see the blood, I will pass over

Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him (Satan) by the blood

Hebrews 9:14 “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who
purge your conscience …

Hebrews 10:19, 22 “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter
evil conscience …”

Hebrews 13:12 “Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify

Romans 3:24-25 “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;”

Romans 5:9 “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

As I said, I understand what you are saying, and to a degree, I think it is correct. However, I do not think we can reduce Biblical Truth down to who has the most number of Scriptures supporting their view........as would be the case when a discussion of Theological ideology breaks out here on the BDF. :)

E

eternally-gratefull

The religious pharisees studied the word more than anyone else in the time of Jesus. They could quote the word verbaitin.

Yet when push came to shove, They showed they may have known what the word said, but they had no knowledge of the word.

When I was a teen. I was told knowing the word was the only part required. Boy where they wrong, I knew the word. And could even back my beliefs by the word. But what I learned is I did not know the word at all. (I am still learning even today) What I did,is what sadly many people do. This is to use my BELIEF system to interpret the word. Not make the WORD form my belief system.

People need to realise. Just because people come in here and post a bunch of scripture. Does not mean they know the word at all. For this reason, we will see many times where people post passage after passage after passage, but when push comes to chove, it is bvious they do not KNOW the word at all..

louis

Nov 1, 2017
Here's another example:

The Precious Blood of Jesus

1. Leviticus 17:11, 14 (cp. Deuteronomy 12:23) “For the life of the flesh
thereof …”
2. Hebrews 9:22 “Without the shedding of blood, there is
no remission of sins.”
3. 1 John 1:7″… the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth
us from all sin.”
5. Exodus 12:13 “… and when I see the blood, I will pass over
6. Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him (Satan) by the blood
7. Hebrews 9:14 “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who
purge your conscience …
8. Hebrews 10:19, 22 “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter
evil conscience …”
9. Hebrews 13:12 “Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify
10. Romans 3:24-25 “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;”
11. Romans 5:9 “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

Leviticus 17:11, 14 (cp. Deuteronomy 12:23) “For the life of the flesh
thereof …”

Hebrews 9:22 “Without the shedding of blood, there is
no remission of sins.”

1 John 1:7″… the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth
us from all sin.”

Exodus 12:13 “… and when I see the blood, I will pass over

Revelation 12:11 “And they overcame him (Satan) by the blood

Hebrews 9:14 “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who
purge your conscience …

Hebrews 10:19, 22 “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter
evil conscience …”

Hebrews 13:12 “Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify

Romans 3:24-25 “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;”

Romans 5:9 “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”

As I said, I understand what you are saying, and to a degree, I think it is correct. However, I do not think we can reduce Biblical Truth down to who has the most number of Scriptures supporting their view........as would be the case when a discussion of Theological ideology breaks out here on the BDF. :)
My scriptural references coordinated what Love is; how the Antichrist will shew himself to be love; how the whole world will be in love with him (his system), and that he will even have a place within the hearts of the Lords people (His temple); where the Antichrist should not stand.

In contrast you put dozens of scriptures about blood together without making any points; by which you then claim my coordinated scriptures the same as uncoordinated references of scriptures.

YDo

Dec 9, 2018
It's the problem with "group think" that typically shows itself in denomination indoctrination.
The word is God. I think rightly dividing , divining, meaning to comprehend, the word that is God is what the passage is speaking to in 2nd Timothy 2.
God's kingdom is within us and I believe if we still our minds his will shall make itself known as we need it. And as he intends it to guide us through.

Mar 23, 2016
It's the problem with "group think" that typically shows itself in denomination indoctrination.
The word is God. I think rightly dividing , divining, meaning to comprehend, the word that is God is what the passage is speaking to in 2nd Timothy 2.
God's kingdom is within us and I believe if we still our minds his will shall make itself known as we need it. And as he intends it to guide us through.
I believe 2 Tim 2:15 is speaking of the study of Scripture, not just keeping our minds fixed on God which, according to Is 26:3, keeps us in perfect peace (and nothing wrong with that, imo).

We need to know the Scriptures in order to not be tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive (Eph 4:14).

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
My scriptural references coordinated what Love is; how the Antichrist will shew himself to be love; how the whole world will be in love with him (his system), and that he will even have a place within the hearts of the Lords people (His temple); where the Antichrist should not stand.

In contrast you put dozens of scriptures about blood together without making any points; by which you then claim my coordinated scriptures the same as uncoordinated references of scriptures.
Seriously? You read those Scriptures and you could not discern they SAID that the precious blood of Christ, shed on Calvary's Cross IS what cleanses us from all our sins? How can you discern Scriptures regarding the anti-christ and not discern Scriptures that speak directly of the fact that the shedding of blood is required for the forgiveness of sin? How could you not discern that our very salvation is because of the precious blood of Christ?

Hmm