sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 9, 2011
Some would say that the same GOD that spoke In the old testament Is the same GOD that spoke In the new testament and since GOD doesn't change ,they should be mindful and attentive to the old testament

even though they can't keep It perfectly and remember JESUS had not finished the work yet In the old testament which would mean be perfect In your own strength

JESUS died on the cross and HIS sacrifice was accepted by our FATHER In heaven and now It's whosoever believes In the WORD of GOD.

JESUS righteously fulfilled the law and changed the old to the new which Is now faith.

The legalistic mind says your sin Is bigger than my sin.

Romans 4:1-2
King James Version

1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.

Dec 9, 2011
This life is definitely not Christ's rest. I feel tired. Waiting.
present your body a living sacrifice.You are an ambassador for CHRIST JESUS IS the VINE and we are members of the body,the branches receiving sustenance from the VINE displaying spiritual fruit and establishing the law,let your light shine.:)

Jun 10, 2019
Some would say that the same GOD that spoke In the old testament Is the same GOD that spoke In the new testament and since GOD doesn't change ,they should be mindful and attentive to the old testament

even though they can't keep It perfectly and remember JESUS had not finished the work yet In the old testament which would mean be perfect In your own strength

JESUS died on the cross and HIS sacrifice was accepted by our FATHER In heaven and now It's whosoever believes In the WORD of GOD.

JESUS righteously fulfilled the law and changed the old to the new which Is now faith.

The legalistic mind says your sin Is bigger than my sin.

Romans 4:1-2
King James Version

1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.
Huh thanks for posting I hadn’t read romans 4 before, quite a lot of info in that chapter.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Sad you think that it is ok as a christian to go around calling people names. Even sadder is the hard heart that refuses to see your error in this. This is such a simple principle too. Even worse you continue...
Christians act in love. Are you denying that you are a christian by continuing to act in such a manner?

No wonder you can't see that you have taken Galatians, Romans, and Corinthians out of context, you can't even grasp this simple principle of love.
If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, I don't see it as being un-Christian in calling it a duck.

If the duck doesn't like it should he be mad at the Christian for pointing it out?

Or just laugh because the Christian has called him a duck when he's really a chicken?

I wouldn't think that calling a duck a duck would cause the duck to be offended. Unless the duck doesn't want to be seen as a duck for some reason. That would be fairly weird, imo.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Yes, Romans 8:1 is in my spiritual pocketbook which I rub now and again. As far as Christ's rest, I hope this life isn't it. I believe I will wait for His rest. View attachment 203199
That's like saying you hope you won't be a Child of God in this Life. Kind of a weird thing to say, I think.

Hebrews 4:9-10
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

When did you think you would be offered rest from your work at the law? When did you think faith in Christ would result in blessing?

You think its not now?

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
lightbearer said:
Sad you think that it is ok as a christian to go around calling people names. Even sadder is the hard heart that refuses to see your error in this. This is such a simple principle too. Even worse you continue...
Christians act in love. Are you denying that you are a christian by continuing to act in such a manner?

No wonder you can't see that you have taken Galatians, Romans, and Corinthians out of context, you can't even grasp this simple principle of love.
If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, I don't see it as being un-Christian in calling it a duck.

If the duck doesn't like it should he be mad at the Christian for pointing it out?

Or just laugh because the Christian has called him a duck when he's really a chicken?

I wouldn't think that calling a duck a duck would cause the duck to be offended. Unless the duck doesn't want to be seen as a duck for some reason. That would be fairly weird, imo.
No a person of Christ does not go around calling people names. So in your continuing in this unchrist like manner you are denying you are a Christian. That is what I thought.

What sad is someone awarded you for your post. They must not be a Christian either since they are feeding into your depravity.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
That's like saying you hope you won't be a Child of God in this Life. Kind of a weird thing to say, I think.

Hebrews 4:9-10
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.....
Two rests being spoken of in Hebrews. The Gospel rest and the Sabbath.

Heb 4:9 Therefore a Sabbath-rest is left for the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For* he who is entered into his rest (the Gospel) has himself also ceased from his works, as God did from his.

What works did God cease from? That is answered earlier within the same context.

Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again (He speaks), If they shall enter into my rest (the Gospel).

Jun 10, 2019
No a person of Christ does not go around calling people names. So in your continuing in this unchrist like manner you are denying you are a Christian. That is what I thought.

What sad is someone awarded you for your post. They must not be a Christian either since they are feeding into your depravity.
Sounds a little extreme over being called a legalist

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Sounds a little extreme over being called a legalist
Two rests being spoken of in Hebrews. The Gospel rest and the Sabbath.

Heb 4:9 Therefore a Sabbath-rest is left for the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For* he who is entered into his rest (the Gospel) has himself also ceased from his works, as God did from his.

What works did God cease from? That is answered earlier within the same context.

Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again (He speaks), If they shall enter into my rest (the Gospel).

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
That is not what Hebrews 4:9 is speaking of. Please follow along.

So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
(Heb 4:9,10 )

When and where did God cease from His own works? Well it just so happens that the writer of Hebrews tell us.

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
(Heb 4:4-5 KJV)
W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary: SABBATISMOS (4520), a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it.

Hebrews 4:10 says the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. That person has entered in God’s rest through Jesus "rests from his own work" (in contrast to Law keeping) as God ceased or rested from His works in the seventh day of Creation. God's ultimate, true rest did not come through Joshua or Moses, but through Jesus Christ. Joshua led Israel into the promised land, which was merely the earthly rest which was but a shadow of what was involved in the heavenly rest. The rest in Christ that God offers is spiritual and is superior. Israel's earthly rest was filled with conflict and attacks from their enemies and the daily cycle of work. The "sabbatismos" rest enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law, is found only in Christ and not Law keeping.

Although for centuries the Jews had found their physical rest in a day, the New Covenant takes the focus off the shadows of the Old Testament signs and rituals and reveals their spiritual substance -- the fulfillment/reality—in the person of Jesus Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17) Christians find complete Sabbath "sabbatismos" rest in Christ's finished work on the cross. The New Testament Sabbath rest is entered into by ceasing from one’s "works" of trying to earn salvation though keeping the Law. Paul explains that the Jewish holy days, including the weekly Sabbath, were merely a “shadow” which pointed to Christ; therefore, Christians should not feel obligated to observe them once the “reality” has come (Colossians 2.16-17). Because Jesus and the New Testament writers never reiterate the Sabbath command as they do the moral principles contained in the other 9 commandments, Christians are not obligated to observe a literal weekly Sabbath day.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Extreme? This is extreme, We are called to the righteous of and through Christ.
Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary: SABBATISMOS (4520), a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it.

Vine's missed a few important details. Let's take a look.

So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest (the Gospel), he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Remains is present tense. The writer then starts verse 10 with the word "for". Which means what is about to be said relates to what was said previously. Both entered and ceased in verse ten are in the past tense. They are something that is being experience now not in the future. Also it should be noted that they are two separate things. This signified by the word also. It would fail us if we were not to mention the fact that there is a direct comparison being mention. The clause "as God did from His" points to this.

So When and where did God cease from His own works? Well it just so happens that the writer of Hebrews tell us.

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again (he speaks) , If they shall enter into my rest (the Gospel).

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Extreme? This is extreme, We are called to the righteous of and through Christ.
Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.
Amen! Well except it should read...
And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
(Php 3:9 KJV)

See the difference?

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Vine's missed a few important details. Let's take a look.

So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest (the Gospel), he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Remains is present tense. The writer then starts verse 10 with the word "for". Which means what is about to be said relates to what was said previously. Both entered and ceased in verse ten are in the past tense. They are something that is being experience now not in the future.
Vine's hit the nail on the head and which translation says (the Gospel) in verse 10? As previously mentioned, because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it.

Also it should be noted that they are two separate things. This signified by the word also. It would fail us if we were not to mention the fact that there is a direct comparison being mention. The clause "as God did from His" points to this.

So When and where did God cease from His own works? Well it just so happens that the writer of Hebrews tell us.

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again (he speaks), If they shall enter into my rest (the Gospel).
We all know from Genesis 2:3 when and where God rested from all His work which He created and made, which does not change anything that I shared with you in post #135. The Gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the Gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. *Only those who do so will find their "sabbatismos" rest in Christ. As W.E. Vine explains it so well - here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. (y)

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
Vine's hit the nail on the head and which translation says (the Gospel) in verse 10? As previously mentioned, because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it.

We all know from Genesis 2:3 when and where God rested from all His work which He created and made, which does not change anything that I shared with you in post #135. The Gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the Gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. *Only those who do so will find their "sabbatismos" rest in Christ. As W.E. Vine explains it so well - here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. (y)
Don't have time right now. Catch up with your post later. Have blessed day in Christ!