Saved by faith alone?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lamar

May 21, 2023
Does the phrase, "saved by faith" equivalent to the term, "saved by faith alone"?

Beckworth

May 15, 2019
Does the phrase, "saved by faith" equivalent to the term, "saved by faith alone"?[/QUOTE
No. They are not the same. Yes we are saved by faith but James 2:24 says we are not saved by faith only or alone. The Bible teaches that we are saved by several things—not just one thing. For example we are saved by “repentance.” Luke 13:3,5- “Jesus said, I tell you if you don’t repent you will perish.” Romans 10:9-10 we are saved by “confessing” Christ. And 1 Peter 3:21 says we are saved by baptism. The Bible does not contradict itself. To be saved by faith alone means that faith is ALL that saves us. The Bible simply does not teach that. Jesus himself said that “He that believes AND is baptized shall be saved.” Jesus put salvation AFTER baptism, not before baptism.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Does the phrase, "saved by faith" equivalent to the term, "saved by faith alone"?
Yes.. When salvation is concerned we are saved by what Jesus did for us.. Not for what we may or may not do..

Are we judged on what we do? Yes.. Some will be called greater in the kingdom of God and some will be called least in the Kingdom.. But as far as being saved is concerned our works do not factor into it..

L

Locoponydirtman

When Luther pinned these words, the 5 sola statements, his intent was make a point of the word alone. So that faith for example isnt muddled with anything else, particularly works.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The Bible clearly states in many passages of scripture that we are saved through belief/faith "apart from additions or modifications." (Luke 7:50; 8:12; John 1:12; 3:15,16,18,36; 6:40,47; 11:25,26; Acts 10:43; 11:17; 13:39; 15:9; 16:31; 26:18; Romans 1:16; 3:24-28; 4:5; 5:1; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:21; Galatians 2:16; 3:6-9, 26; Ephesians 2:8; Philippians 3:9; 2 Timothy 3:15; Hebrews 10:39; 1 John 5:13 etc..).

Now you don't need to add the word "alone" next to "belief/faith" in each of these passages of scripture in order to figure out that the words, "belief/faith" stand alone in connection with receiving eternal life/salvation. Hence, FAITH ALONE. Do these many passages of scripture say belief/faith "plus something else?" Plus works? NO. So then it's faith (rightly understood) in Christ alone.

Not to be confused with an empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains "alone" - barren of works. (James 2:14-24)

Ted01

May 14, 2022
I believe it does, as well.

I'd like to add, without trying to sound too lofty, that it doesn't really mean "alone", because our faith is in the finished work of Christ... in Him we are not doing anything "alone".

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Nope when we add “ alone “ we’re distorting it and it causes a conflict when we hear this also true statement about faith

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:17, 20, 26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

when I say “ saved by faith alone “ I’m actually rejecting what faith really is a godly instruction that only works if I hear and believe and act upon it

Adding the term alone is a rejection of the rest of what we’re supposed to learn doing the deeds is part of God building faith in us

our faith should sound like Gods word

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

this should be a shaping of our faith just to hear this from the lord

“And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

aid meant to bring us to the right mindset “ why do I call Jesus lord but yet I pretend I’m not supposed to do what he said will save my soul ? Is he really my lord if I don’t hear what he’s saying and follow ?

faith should have this Echoe in our hearts

“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:21-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

when we start trying to isolate one word or aspect and make it everything by default we’re rejecting the rest that gives it meaning wi to in the context of Gods word

ultimately our thought “ God doesn’t teach me to do anything and he doesn’t say this will save your soul “ is working against our faith that’s meant to teach us to do what’s right without it being a huge struggle he’s trying to reshape us from workers of iniquity to his righteous children what we actually do matters most even though it needs to come from faith first our actions tell the truth in our belief

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Nope when we add “ alone “ we’re distorting it and it causes a conflict when we hear this also true statement about faith

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:17, 20, 26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

when I say “ saved by faith alone “ I’m actually rejecting what faith really is a godly instruction that only works if I hear and believe and act upon it

Adding the term alone is a rejection of the rest of what we’re supposed to learn doing the deeds is part of God building faith in us

our faith should sound like Gods word

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

this should be a shaping of our faith just to hear this from the lord

“And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

aid meant to bring us to the right mindset “ why do I call Jesus lord but yet I pretend I’m not supposed to do what he said will save my soul ? Is he really my lord if I don’t hear what he’s saying and follow ?

faith should have this Echoe in our hearts

“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:21-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

when we start trying to isolate one word or aspect and make it everything by default we’re rejecting the rest that gives it meaning wi to in the context of Gods word

ultimately our thought “ God doesn’t teach me to do anything and he doesn’t say this will save your soul “ is working against our faith that’s meant to teach us to do what’s right without it being a huge struggle he’s trying to reshape us from workers of iniquity to his righteous children what we actually do matters most even though it needs to come from faith first our actions tell the truth in our belief
this is trying to save yourself by faith (in self) and works.

it rejects faith in God and the cross.

Paul made it clear, it is not by the good works of righteousness we have done, but by his mercy he saved us (titus 3)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It should really be "saved by grace through faith alone". And the Catholic Church hates that. Anyone who has never read the proceedings of the Council of Trent should do so. And this document does in fact govern the teachings of the CC. You can check out all the references in the CCC (Catechism of the Catholic Church).

07-07-07

Jun 13, 2023
Yes.. When salvation is concerned we are saved by what Jesus did for us.. Not for what we may or may not do..

Are we judged on what we do? Yes.. Some will be called greater in the kingdom of God and some will be called least in the Kingdom.. But as far as being saved is concerned our works do not factor into it..
Walking in God's ways, i.e., holiness and righteousness, are not the "works" that Paul described in Ephesians 2. To enter God's Kingdom, one must have crucified the flesh and walked in the Spirit.

Galatians 5
[24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

07-07-07

Jun 13, 2023
this is trying to save yourself by faith (in self) and works.

it rejects faith in God and the cross.

Paul made it clear, it is not by the good works of righteousness we have done, but by his mercy he saved us (titus 3)
It's only true faith in God and the Cross when it causes one to walk in the ways that God and the Cross represent, i.e., holiness and righteousness. Anything short of this is not true faith. Abraham believed God and obeyed Him.

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
You're not saved by faith alone, but faith is a necessary part of salvation, but also not in and of itself. Faith is cuppleled with belief, and confession of belief is necessary as is repentance and baptism. All are necessary to be saved.

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
You're not saved by faith alone, but faith is a necessary part of salvation, but also not in and of itself. Faith is cuppleled with belief, and confession of belief is necessary as is repentance and baptism. All are necessary to be saved.
the two criminals on the cross weren't baptized, unless you mean holy spirit baptism.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
It's only true faith in God and the Cross when it causes one to walk in the ways that God and the Cross represent, i.e., holiness and righteousness. Anything short of this is not true faith. Abraham believed God and obeyed Him.
Are you suggesting that one needs to be "holy" and "righteous" before becoming Saved? We must achieve "holiness" and "righteousness" without God?

07-07-07

Jun 13, 2023
Are you suggesting that one needs to be "holy" and "righteous" before becoming Saved? We must achieve "holiness" and "righteousness" without God?
No, one becomes holy and righteous because of God, His grace working in us. Not dead faith alone. This is not accomplished by self determination alone, but the love of God working in us.

Ephesians 5
[1] Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
[2] And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
[3] But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
[4] Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
[5] For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Abraham was saved BEFORE he obeyed him.

Abraham also sinned many grave sins after he was saved.

If you say we are saved by grace plus works. you are in error..