Saved by faith alone?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
AGAIN, you misquote Peter's statement in Acts 10:43.
You put words in the mouth of Peter by "adding" water baptism to Acts 10:43 according to your eisegesis. Acts 10:43 - Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name (expression of authority and not a salvation baptismal formula) everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins. Not mention of water baptism in Acts 10:43.

In doing so, many fail to grasp the significance of what Peter actually said. He said, "...IT IS THROUGH HIS NAME (Jesus) those who believe in Jesus shall RECEIVE REMISSION OF SIN.
Once again, Acts 10:43 - Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name (EXPRESSION OF AUTHORITY AND NOT A SALVATION BAPTISMAL FORMULA) everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins. Those who believe in Jesus (exclusively in Jesus) and not in Jesus + something else, namely, water baptism. If you truly believed in Jesus then you would be trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. (Acts 15:7-9)

Remission of sin is connected with obedience to water baptism IN THE NAME OF THE JESUS.
More eisegesis on your part. That is NOT what Peter said in Acts 10:43. Remission of sins is connected with BELIEVES IN HIM in Acts 10:43. Water baptism "followed." Your Oneness Pentecostal error has already been corrected numerous times.

https://carm.org/oneness-pentecostal/must-baptism-be-in-jesus-name-baptize/

After receiving the Holy Spirit the group was commanded to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus. (Acts 10:47-48)
Yes, (key word) AFTER receiving the Holy Spirit (which demonstrates AFTER they were saved) the group was commanded to be baptized in water. The group had already believed, received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues all BEFORE receiving water baptism.

Why? Because in addition to being indwelt with the Holy Ghost the group had to have their sins dealt with. Again, this parallels with the initial gospel message presented at Pentecost. (Acts 2:38)
More eisegesis on your part. Now in regard to Acts 2:38 go back and read post #355 over again until the truth finally sinks in.

As to Acts 4:4, 5:14. The scriptures reference they heard the word and believed.
Yes, simply believed with no mention of water baptism, yet you just can't seem to put down your shoehorn.

Note, Acts 2:41-42 indicate that the people believed Peter's word and were baptized, and the people continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine. What doctrine? The doctrine just presented by Peter in Acts 2:38.
In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

The only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*

Once again, in regard to Acts 2:41, those who gladly received his word (upon repentance/faith) were "afterwards" baptized. Nothing is mentioned here about water baptism being the direct cause of the 3,000 souls being added. It simply says those who received his word were baptized. In John 1:12, we read - But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. *What happened to baptism?

Acts 4:4 - However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand. *What happened to baptism?

Acts 5:14 - And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

To say water baptism was not commanded because every scripture does not mention it is simply not true.
Water baptism is a command for those who believe and are saved. (Acts 10:43-47)

Consider that repentance nor receiving the Holy Ghost is specifically mentioned within those scriptures either. Yet, we know they are essential as stated elsewhere in the word.
We know elsewhere that repentance (change of mind) precedes believe him/believe the gospel/faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. (Matthew 21:32; Mark 1:15; Acts 20:21) Repentance does not need to be specifically spelled out in scripture whenever we see belief/faith connected with receiving salvation because repentance and belief/faith are two sides to the same coin. Where you have one you must have the other. Not so with baptism. You can repent and believe the gospel and not yet be water baptized. Receiving the Holy Spirit does not specifically need to be spelled out in scripture either every time whenever we see belief/faith connected with receiving salvation because we know elsewhere that saved believers receive the Holy Spirit. (Acts 11:17; 15:8,9; Ephesians 1:13)

The truth is witnessed/established by at least 2-3 scriptures.
Your 2-3 cherry picked scriptures based on your eisegesis does not harmonize with the rest of scripture.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Does a person who believes water baptism washes their sins have to get baptized after each sin ?

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Spoken like a true works-salvationist. So, when did Noah find grace? Before or after he built the ark? Was Noah a preacher of righteousness before or not until after he built the ark? It was by or "out of" faith that Noah built the ark. Noah's obedience was a demonstration of his faith and not the origin of it.
Noah became the heir of righteousness after believing and acting in obedience to God commands. If Noah did not act in regards to what he professed to believe he and his family would have perished along with the others.

"By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith." Heb 11:7

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
This phrase automatically cancels any idea that obedience is the key to salvation (justification). The righteousness which is by faith is IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS. It it the absolute righteousness of Christ which is put to the spiritual account of the sinner, when he or she believes God, and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work of redemption.

The Bible is crystal clear. We are justified by GRACE through FAITH + NOTHING. And Abraham is presented as the example. Abraham BELIEVED GOD and it was imputed to him for righteousness. This was long before Abraham sacrificed Isaac.

But the average person will say "That ain't fair". We must do something to merit our salvation. That's because many (if not most) do not really understand what Christ did on behalf of sinners.
The scripture says: "By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; BY THE WHICH (by doing so) he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith." Heb 11:7

Noah and his family would have perished along with everyone else if he refused to act in obedience to what God instructed.

Faith perfected: belief + action. (Heb. 11, James 2:20)

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
You are obsessed with water baptism. It's about the only thing you talk about. Your biased interpretation of Acts 2:38 is not in harmony with (Luke 24:47; Acts 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18) and it's also not in harmony with (John 3:18; Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9).

The enemy fights tooth and nail to keep people blind to the truth that salvation is by grace through faith and is not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9) The enemy knows that as long as he can keep you from trusting in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation (John 1:12; 3:18; 10:9; 14:6; Acts 4:12) he has you right where he wants you! Christ's finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to save believers. No supplements needed. (Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6; 5:1-2)

That sounds like an argument from Oneness Pentecostals - "must be water baptized using the specific formula "in Jesus name" or else you will perish." According to your false gospel, if a believer is water baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, they will perish. *NOWHERE does the Bible say water baptized or condemned. As explained to you many times before, the phrase, “in Jesus name,” is not a reference to a salvation baptismal formula but a reference to authority. The proper way to baptize in Jesus name/by the authority of Jesus is to say, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” (Matthew 28:19) Oneness Pentecostal folks are simply in error.

Luke 24:47 doesn't even mention baptism. Acts 22:16 and Acts 2:38 have already been explained to you multiple times.

See posts #522 and #533 from the link below:

Born Again Speaking in Tongues - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

Also see posts #306 #307 324 #325 from the link below:

"What must I do to be saved?" - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

Also see posts #228 and #235 from the "Saved by faith alone" thread.

Saved by faith alone? - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

*BTW you never did answer my question from post #235. "Since your pet verses on baptism "on the surface" merely "appear" to teach what you claim, should we also interpret John 6:54-56 to mean that we literally eat Jesus' flesh and literally drink His blood when we partake of the Lord's supper?" Do you believe in the false Roman Catholic doctrine of "transubstantiation?"

Your belief is not in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ as the ALL-SUFFICIENT means of your salvation which demonstrates that you have not yet repented (changed your mind) and believed the gospel. (Acts 11:17,18; 20:21; Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4) Your belief is primarily in water baptism using the specific formula "in Jesus name" as the means of your salvation. You have a misplaced faith.

In Acts 10:43-47, we see that these Gentiles believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (spiritual gift which is ONLY for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) and were saved BEFORE receiving water baptism. This is known as repentance unto life. (Acts 11:17,18) *Hermeneutics.

I share in that same hope and I also hope these same people will not be deceived by false teachers who preach a false gospel. (Galatians 1:6-9; 2 Corinthians 4:3,4)
Obedience to the commands first given on the Day of Pentecost would be meaningless if not for Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. It is trusting in Jesus and His sacrifice that brings about the reality of having one's sin remitted in obedience to the command to be baptized in water in the name of Jesus. (Luke 24:47, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16, Rom. 6:3-6...) God's word says it, I believe it.

I have responded to you numerous times in the past regarding this topic. Your response to basic points from scripture that back up the requirement of baptism go unanswered. Your responses end up being a journey down a rabbit trail. I choose not to take that trip since we clearly disagree on what scripture reveals regarding the topic.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Some believe man's actions have more to do with salvation then the Blood of Jesus

Rev_1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rev_7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
Without the shed blood of Jesus nothing man does holds any significance. The question is when is the blood of Jesus applied. (Rom. 6:3-6)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Without the shed blood of Jesus nothing man does holds any significance. The question is when is the blood of Jesus applied. (Rom. 6:3-6)
You continue to promote your false ideas about baptism. But those who know what is actually written reject that nonsense. When a sinner repents, his sins are forgiven and the blood of Christ is applied to his soul. He is "washed" internally of his sins and his guilt. This has nothing to do with baptism with water. There are many other spiritual things which also happen at the same time.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

You equate getting dunked in water with His death? We dont agree on the way we read the Scriptures. Getting dunked ( how ever it is done ) is nothing like His death . He was innocent we are not. He died for others we get baptized for ourselves.

YOu believe the water washes your sins , do you get rebaptized for every sin. We sin all the time. Some may be big other small but they are still sins . How often are you baptized?

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
It’s rather sad to me that both of you have taken my example of taking aspirin “because of” your headache, instead of “in order” to get a headache, and turned it into an analogy of taking aspirin in order to get rid the headache being likened to baptism is for getting rid of your sins. I don’t know why I’m surprised at that, but well done!! If you don’t want to stick to a subject/point-at-hand, but prefer to play juvenile games… consider yourselves victorious, lol.

In my opinion, I did provide you, @Lamar, with the evidences of “because of” being used in Scripture by going to some of the most commonly used versions… you on the other-hand had to source some of the more obscure versions… I consider myself “schooled” by that. Perhaps the translators are like the both of you and have a “works-based” theology?

In my opinion, Scripture clearly teaches us that it is by Faith in the finished work of Jesus that anyone will receive Salvation. It is not water baptism that washes away our sins, only the blood of Jesus Christ can do that. That’s the (spiritual) baptism that each believer must trust in. And regardless of the word games that you two, and many others want to play, I don’t think that you’ll ever be able to harmonize your “works-based” notions with Paul’s clear statement that we are Saved by Faith and not works:

Eph. 2:89-9
8For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life.

It’s a biblical principle that is often repeated throughout the N.T., and you can’t get around it.

I fear that on some day you will stand in front of God and say something like “Lord, Lord didn’t I do all these works, like getting baptized in obedience, in your name? Aren’t you proud of all that I have done!?!” And what He respond with is scary. I do believe that, while you are not so honest in conversations, you are honestly loving God and trying your best. I just fear that you’re trying to do it all in your own strength.
For me personally, submitting to water baptism in the name of Jesus had nothing to do with pride. Years after receiving the indwelling of the Holy Ghost/Spirit, I became aware of the scriptures indicating the apostles consistently administered water baptism in the name of Jesus. I obeyed the command, and was rebaptized because God's word indicated it was necessary for everyone. (Luke 24:47, Acts 2:38, Acts 19:1-7, Acts 10:43, 47-48) I have to say no one was more surprised than I at the revelation that ensued. I didn't go looking for baptism scriptures they just began to jump off the page no matter what book of the bible I decided to read at a given time. The puzzle pieces one by one evidenced the truth, and continue to do so.

Matthew 7:23 applies to individual's Jesus never knew. Surely, there is no question that Jesus knows those who submit to being buried with Him through baptism.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
You continue to promote your false ideas about baptism. But those who know what is actually written reject that nonsense. When a sinner repents, his sins are forgiven and the blood of Christ is applied to his soul. He is "washed" internally of his sins and his guilt. This has nothing to do with baptism with water. There are many other spiritual things which also happen at the same time.
Please provide scripture relevant to your comment: "When a sinner repents, his sins are forgiven and the blood of Christ is applied to his soul."

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

You equate getting dunked in water with His death? We dont agree on the way we read the Scriptures. Getting dunked ( how ever it is done ) is nothing like His death . He was innocent we are not. He died for others we get baptized for ourselves.

YOu believe the water washes your sins , do you get rebaptized for every sin. We sin all the time. Some may be big other small but they are still sins . How often are you baptized?
Paul makes the point that obedience to the command to be baptized is when one's prior sin is dealt with in association with Jesus' sacrifice. (Rom. 6:3-6) Afterward, as a new creation we confess our sins through prayer and Jesus cleanses us. (1 John 1:9)

According to Jesus, water baptism is an essential part of the gospel message: "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." Mark 16:15-16

I trust that obedience to the word of God brings about what it says. "be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin..." (Acts 38-39)

Jesus sent Ananias to tell Paul what he must do. (Acts 9:6-18)
Paul recounts what Ananias told him. "...be baptized and wash away his sin calling on the name of the Lord. (Acts 22:16)

Paul rebaptized the Ephesians in the name of the Lord Jesus and laid hands on them to receive the Holy Ghost some 30 years after the initial message was presented by Peter at Pentecost. (Acts 19:1-7)

There is no scriptural evidence that the requirement to be water baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin has ever changed.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Your still confused.

I will repeat the verses below to clarify the thorny premise of faith plus works.

Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

We are a new creation in Christ and the new creation is designed for good works. Notice the order.

But we do not confuse our works as a new creation with that reconciliation that Christ bestowed upon us.

2 Corinthians 5:18
Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.

It is important to understand how you are reconciled, "created in Christ Jesus for good works"

When quoting from the letter of James, be very careful, make sure you understand what James is saying.

James 2:18
But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”

James 2:22
You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected.

Faith is paramount, a perfect faith is the goal.

John 3:18
The one who believes in Him is not judged; the one who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. (the gospel)

For some reason, many folk add works to the reconciliation that Christ performed? They end up with a distorted gospel.

Salvation is a gift granted by grace through Christ alone.

It is critical that the primary doctrine in Christianity is understood by all.

Christ alone first, then works second.
“Christ alone first “

simple question does this include hearing what Christ said about salvstion and damnation ? Eternal life ? Boeng saved ?

seriously can you answer tbat relatively simply does accepting Jesus forst and only Jesus mean we have to accept his word about life and death salvstion and damnation ?

Or are you saying “ I believe in Jesus but don’t need to hear what he said about being saved nd the warnings he told us about sin and damnation ?

What are you saying when you say “ Jesus first alone “ I’d say Jesus only always forever but that includes hearing his words hat promose salvation and those words teach people to repent from thier evil works and to act in good works

awe have to accept what God said is my simple point lol if you think this is me being confused I not sure we could ever have any agreement

Do you believe Jesus knows how we can be saved ? And did he tell us how to be saved and say “ believe me and you’ll be saved “

Isn’t that pretty basic and plain in the Bible belief doesn’t mean now I dont need to act it means now I know what to do and it will work because he said it would

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Your still confused.

I will repeat the verses below to clarify the thorny premise of faith plus works.

Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

We are a new creation in Christ and the new creation is designed for good works. Notice the order.

But we do not confuse our works as a new creation with that reconciliation that Christ bestowed upon us.

2 Corinthians 5:18
Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.

It is important to understand how you are reconciled, "created in Christ Jesus for good works"

When quoting from the letter of James, be very careful, make sure you understand what James is saying.

James 2:18
But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”

James 2:22
You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected.

Faith is paramount, a perfect faith is the goal.

John 3:18
The one who believes in Him is not judged; the one who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. (the gospel)

For some reason, many folk add works to the reconciliation that Christ performed? They end up with a distorted gospel.

Salvation is a gift granted by grace through Christ alone.

It is critical that the primary doctrine in Christianity is understood by all.

Christ alone first, then works second.
I notice you never answered whether James was confused also

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Paul makes the point that obedience to the command to be baptized is when one's prior sin is dealt with in association with Jesus' sacrifice. (Rom. 6:3-6) Afterward, as a new creation we confess our sins through prayer and Jesus cleanses us. (1 John 1:9)

According to Jesus, water baptism is an essential part of the gospel message: "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." Mark 16:15-16

I trust that obedience to the word of God brings about what it says. "be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin..." (Acts 38-39)

Paul recounts what Ananias told him. "...be baptized and wash away his sin calling on the name of the Lord. (Acts 22:16)

Paul rebaptized the Ephesians in the name of the Lord Jesus and laid hands on them to receive the Holy Ghost some 30 years after the initial message was presented by Peter at Pentecost. (Acts 19:1-7)

There is no scriptural evidence that the requirement to be water baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin has ever changed.
I believe Christians should be baptized . I go so far as to believe pedobaptism is a good thing to do.

Yet the Scriptures also say
Rev_1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rev_7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Getting dunked by some preacher is not as high as being washed in His Blood IMO.

Lamar

May 21, 2023
You are obsessed with water baptism. It's about the only thing you talk about. Your biased interpretation of Acts 2:38 is not in harmony with (Luke 24:47; Acts 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18) and it's also not in harmony with (John 3:18; Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9).

The enemy fights tooth and nail to keep people blind to the truth that salvation is by grace through faith and is not by works. (Ephesians 2:8,9) The enemy knows that as long as he can keep you from trusting in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation (John 1:12; 3:18; 10:9; 14:6; Acts 4:12) he has you right where he wants you! Christ's finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to save believers. No supplements needed. (Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6; 5:1-2)

That sounds like an argument from Oneness Pentecostals - "must be water baptized using the specific formula "in Jesus name" or else you will perish." According to your false gospel, if a believer is water baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, they will perish. *NOWHERE does the Bible say water baptized or condemned. As explained to you many times before, the phrase, “in Jesus name,” is not a reference to a salvation baptismal formula but a reference to authority. The proper way to baptize in Jesus name/by the authority of Jesus is to say, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” (Matthew 28:19) Oneness Pentecostal folks are simply in error.

Luke 24:47 doesn't even mention baptism. Acts 22:16 and Acts 2:38 have already been explained to you multiple times.

See posts #522 and #533 from the link below:

Born Again Speaking in Tongues - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

Also see posts #306 #307 324 #325 from the link below:

"What must I do to be saved?" - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

Also see posts #228 and #235 from the "Saved by faith alone" thread.

Saved by faith alone? - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

*BTW you never did answer my question from post #235. "Since your pet verses on baptism "on the surface" merely "appear" to teach what you claim, should we also interpret John 6:54-56 to mean that we literally eat Jesus' flesh and literally drink His blood when we partake of the Lord's supper?" Do you believe in the false Roman Catholic doctrine of "transubstantiation?"

Your belief is not in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ as the ALL-SUFFICIENT means of your salvation which demonstrates that you have not yet repented (changed your mind) and believed the gospel. (Acts 11:17,18; 20:21; Romans 1:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4) Your belief is primarily in water baptism using the specific formula "in Jesus name" as the means of your salvation. You have a misplaced faith.

In Acts 10:43-47, we see that these Gentiles believed, received the gift of the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (spiritual gift which is ONLY for the body of Christ - 1 Corinthians 12) and were saved BEFORE receiving water baptism. This is known as repentance unto life. (Acts 11:17,18) *Hermeneutics.

I share in that same hope and I also hope these same people will not be deceived by false teachers who preach a false gospel. (Galatians 1:6-9; 2 Corinthians 4:3,4)
"You are obsessed with water baptism." It seems that it is you who is obsessed with water baptism. I believe you would rather walk through the dry desert of faith alone regeneration theology then humbly submit to your sins be forgiven.

This is a pride issue not a harmony issue.

All the verses you have presented are in harmony with Acts 2:38, you are attempting to use them to negate the purpose of Acts 2:38.

Lamar

May 21, 2023
"Saved by faith" is an abbreviation of the doctrine below.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Thus, no one can ever claim to be saved by any other instrument, than Christ alone.

Salvation is a gift from God to us.

Salvation is a gift from God to us.

Keep repeating this verse, over and over, again, until it is locked in.

Salvation is a gift from God to us, by grace through faith.
"Saved by faith" is an abbreviation of the doctrine below.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I totally agree....now what about the "alone" part you keep bringing up.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018

I believe Christians should be baptized . I go so far as to believe pedobaptism is a good thing to do.

Yet the Scriptures also say

Getting dunked by some preacher is not as high as being washed in His Blood IMO.
Rev. 7:14 says "...they have washed their robes... Do you not agree that being buried with Jesus by baptism could be when the blood is applied? A typical burial involves being placed under/in the ground. In the case of water baptism the person is placed under the water and then brought back out. It is a picture of a newborn coming forth from the womb. (unless a man is reborn) Consider that God's word states spiritual truths can be understood by God's design of the natural realm. Food for thought.

As to pedobaptism it is not scriptural. Administering baptism to a baby/person who is unable to understand it's significance is pointless. The water is not what remits sin. It is the individual's obedience to the God given command in association with Jesus' sacrifice that brings about that reality.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Noah became the heir of righteousness after believing and acting in obedience to God commands. If Noah did not act in regards to what he professed to believe he and his family would have perished along with the others.

"By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith." Heb 11:7
If Noah would have refused to build the ark, then he would have demonstrated a lack of faith, but of course, that was not the case. In Genesis 6:6-10, we read - And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So, the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. (So why did Noah find grace in the eyes of the Lord prior to building the ark? For having faith or a lack of faith?) 9 This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect (or blameless) in his generations. Noah walked with God.

Of course, Noah acted in regard to what he professed to believe (demonstrating that his faith was genuine) and Noah and his family were saved (physically) from drowning by the ark. (Hebrews 11:7) Again, building the ark was a demonstration of his faith and not the origin of it.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The scripture says: "By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; BY THE WHICH (by doing so) he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith." Heb 11:7

Noah and his family would have perished along with everyone else if he refused to act in obedience to what God instructed.

Faith perfected: belief + action. (Heb. 11, James 2:20)
Your eisegesis here culminates in salvation by faith + works. When was Abraham's faith accounted to him for righteousness? When he believed in the Lord in Genesis 15:6 (also see Romans 4:2-3) or not until many years later, after he offered up his son Isaac on the altar in Genesis 22?

In James 2:22, faith perfected or complete by works means bring to maturity, carry to the end, to complete like love in 1 John 4:18. It doesn't mean that Abraham was finally saved based on the merits of his works after he offered up Isaac on the altar in Genesis 22. When Abraham performed the good work in Genesis 22; he fulfilled the expectations created by the pronouncement of his faith in Genesis 15:6.