Saying "Oh my God" casually?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 7, 2020
We hear it every day, everywhere we go, even typed 'OMG' all the time. I know for me, personally, I was born and raised and have always just said, "Oh my gosh" or "Oh geez" or some variation as to say and to hear, "Oh my God" spoken makes everything in my being cringe. I recently have heard a few different pastors (who are the real deal - true born again believers in Christ) use "Oh my God" casually also. I always thought it was a bad thing to say, like using the Lord's name in vain, but that has recently opened my mind a little more. I know if I feel in my heart it bothers me to say, I just won't say it, but I'm curious on your thoughts around this and how it makes you feel?

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
Now this text lingo is one with which I am familiar! :cool:

I'm with you. The LORD is holy, holy, holy. Kudos to you for knowing the reverence necessary to please Him.

This topic has made its way into pop culture, and in this ABC News story below you can read that some Jewish people will write God like G_d as a sign of respect. I think I've even seen it written G-d before.

https://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/10-commandments-lords-vain-omg/story?id=8634397

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Things like oh geeze never was an issue. I mean it's not actually anything. Who or what is a geeze? No idea.
I was on another Christian site years ago and typed "oh lawd" and was threatened with a ban. Seems a bit extreme.
I don't type oh my god, or omg, but have had a tendency to say it.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
We hear it every day, everywhere we go, even typed 'OMG' all the time. I know for me, personally, I was born and raised and have always just said, "Oh my gosh" or "Oh geez" or some variation as to say and to hear, "Oh my God" spoken makes everything in my being cringe. I recently have heard a few different pastors (who are the real deal - true born again believers in Christ) use "Oh my God" casually also. I always thought it was a bad thing to say, like using the Lord's name in vain, but that has recently opened my mind a little more. I know if I feel in my heart it bothers me to say, I just won't say it, but I'm curious on your thoughts around this and how it makes you feel?
I agree with your understanding, and at the same time for those who say suc h things, I remember that when someone is not aware of an offense, he or she cannot be held accountable for it.

I have heard people use the word "hole" in weird ways also, but since I understand it only means separate(d), though I still cringe when I hear it, I know for myself it is ok, but if the user of this cringe causing term in the manners sI have heard it does not have this knowledge, it makes me wonder why? (forgive the run-on sentence.) God bless you dear one.

Jan 7, 2020
Now this text lingo is one with which I am familiar! :cool:

I'm with you. The LORD is holy, holy, holy. Kudos to you for knowing the reverence necessary to please Him.

This topic has made its way into pop culture, and in this ABC News story below you can read that some Jewish people will write God like G_d as a sign of respect. I think I've even seen it written G-d before.

https://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/10-commandments-lords-vain-omg/story?id=8634397

Haha! Thanks @EternalFire - that's interesting! Great link - thanks for the share! I mean, it doesn't even cross my mind to remotely judge someone or think of anyone in any negative way for saying it, especially coming from unbelievers. Just particularly when I hear it said by true Pastors without batting an eye, it got me thinking knowing how I feel about it, but seeing them say it without a second thought? Aside from the biblical knowledge of not using the Lord's name in vain, it's not like there's any specific reference to not say it, or vice versa - being okay to say. I just simply was curious if I was the only one that felt this way!

Jan 7, 2020
Things like oh geeze never was an issue. I mean it's not actually anything. Who or what is a geeze? No idea.
I was on another Christian site years ago and typed "oh lawd" and was threatened with a ban. Seems a bit extreme.
Haha, and I guess that's why I resort to "Oh geez" or "Oh my goodness", etc, because it doesn't have any meaning - it is nothing! Whereas, especially believing and knowing God intimately - to use His Almighty, all powerful Name attached to such a casual statement, where typically it's said as apart of a conversation that really doesn't have deep significance - it's just a quick response (and usually of a negative nature), it just doesn't make sense to me. 🙂

Jan 7, 2020
I agree with your understanding, and at the same time for those who say suc h things, I remember that when someone is not aware of an offense, he or she cannot be held accountable for it.

I have heard people use the word "hole" in weird ways also, but since I understand it only means separate(d), though I still cringe when I hear it, I know for myself it is ok, but if the user of this cringe causing term in the manners sI have heard it does not have this knowledge, it makes me wonder why? (forgive the run-on sentence.) God bless you dear one.
I get what you're saying - and I agree! It never remotely crosses my mind to think any negative or judgmental way towards anyone who says it, especially coming from those who don't believe in the weight of the word/name 'God' - I just mean, more in the sense true believers, who do know the weight and significance it has - for those believers to use it in such as a casual way and not think twice, I find interesting.. makes me wonder why, haha! Thank you for your response! 😊

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
To use GOD name when your not talking to or about HIM is use HIS name in vain Which HE tells not to do . GOD BLESS AS HE sees FIT.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You can just say 'Oh My' if you want to express shock.
Some people do say Good Lord, or Jesus Christ! Some just say my goodness.

I dont think God minds Himself. Taking his name in vain means more if you say you are Christian but then do not act like one or do things contrary to what God says for you to do.

So it would be like if you presented yourself as a Christian but were racist or said you hated your enemy and wanted everyone else dead who wasnt from your country or whatever. And then got machine guns to blow them up.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
You can just say 'Oh My' if you want to express shock.
Some people do say Good Lord, or Jesus Christ! Some just say my goodness.

I dont think God minds Himself. Taking his name in vain means more if you say you are Christian but then do not act like one or do things contrary to what God says for you to do.

So it would be like if you presented yourself as a Christian but were racist or said you hated your enemy and wanted everyone else dead who wasnt from your country or whatever. And then got machine guns to blow them up.
That isn't what I was trying to say . LET see .
If I'm Talk to you & say o my god not talking about GOD ,Just using GOD name just for a vain word . Not talking to GOD or to about god
Then I am using GODs name for no reason. using HIS name in vain,

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
That isn't what I was trying to say . LET see .
If I'm Talk to you & say o my god not talking about GOD ,Just using GOD name just for a vain word . Not talking to GOD or to about god
Then I am using GODs name for no reason. using HIS name in vain,
when people say Oh mY God it usually means something shocking has happened or something miraculous or unexplainable. Its not for no reason.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
But it the using of GODs name ,When it shouldn't use,
Let just say everybody was hollowing your name all the time when they was not even to you , pretty sooe you would get tired of it .you would Hear your name , & you would say what do you want ,They say I'm not talking to you . YOU would get tired of that real fast I would think ., I would
Thou shalt not take the LORD name in vain Is the 3rd commandment of GODs . GOD BLESS AS HE SEES FIT

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I agree that, for people like you and me, it really is bad.

Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

The 4th Command, I think.

I would not judge others, for they might not know any better. The way someone says something is often much more telling than the words themselves.

Nice thread!

oyster67

May 24, 2014
It becomes an issue if you know it offends a brother and you say it anyway.

Romans 14
14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
14:20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed [are] pure; but [it is] evil for that man who eateth with offence.
14:21 [It is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
But it the using of GODs name ,When it shouldn't use,
Let just say everybody was hollowing your name all the time when they was not even to you , pretty sooe you would get tired of it .you would Hear your name , & you would say what do you want ,They say I'm not talking to you . YOU would get tired of that real fast I would think ., I would
Thou shalt not take the LORD name in vain Is the 3rd commandment of GODs . GOD BLESS AS HE SEES FIT
mm no its more like 'if My people who are called by MY name would humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin, and heal their land.'

The Lords name isnt GOD I mean that describes who He is but thats not actually his name.
You might want to search the Bible and find all the names of God.

They will be in Hebrew and they all have meanings. As Christians, we know the Lord as Jesus. So I think you are a bit off base there and interpreting scripture a bit too literally.

Who are Gods people called by His name? Well we dont call His people God do we. In the Bible, it's Israel. if you look up the meaning it means 'God contends. ' because Jacobs name got changed to this after he wrestled with the angel.
'el' is the Hebrew for God. It doesnt mean nobody should ever SAY His name. But nobody should take his name in vain.

Most of the angels have names ending in 'el' they are messengers for God.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
When ever we say God we should have God front and center in our Mind...

Nearly everyone who you will hear saying OMG do not have God in their thoughts when they say it.. And that's wrong..

It's good that it bothers you and you just won't say it.. Keep that as your policy. (y)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If people think saying Oh My Lord or My God is blasphemous of offensive then a lot of worship songs would be blasphemous!

Personally I wouldnt get too legalistic about it or worry about such things. And if people do mean it in an offensive way forgive them cos how would they know anyway. Even Mary said My Lord and my God when Jesus appeared to her. So the premise that saying something like that in surprise is offensive is a bit silly.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
If people think saying Oh My Lord or My God is blasphemous of offensive then a lot of worship songs would be blasphemous!

Personally I wouldnt get too legalistic about it or worry about such things. And if people do mean it in an offensive way forgive them cos how would they know anyway. Even Mary said My Lord and my God when Jesus appeared to her. So the premise that saying something like that in surprise is offensive is a bit silly.
I think God can tell the difference between worship and blasphemy and 'surprise'. I think we all can.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
you dont know what peoples thoughts are when people say things regarding God so how can you judge. You are not them.

If Jesus Christ appeared right in front of someone right and they screamed Jesus Christ! maybe a christian who thinks they took HIs name in vain would start judging them. Um..no.

Come on people be real. If you dont live with an atheist then what are you even worried about. What is worse, someone saying 'for Christ sakes' or someone who says 'there is no God' I would pick the latter.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think God can tell the difference between worship and blasphemy and 'surprise'. I think we all can.
well it seems some people on this thread cant and make a big deal over it. Please, there are more important things them to be language police.