Seeing Good Things In Other Religions Like Muslims Helps Build Friendships

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Unless those in other religions worship a false god as Muslims do.
Jesus did say though to some, based on what was in their hearts and the way that they chose to live their lives, that He never knew them. Unless you have been born again by confession of sin and inviting the Holy Spirit to live in your hearts to comfort and guide you on your spiritual journey you would be worshiping a false God as well because Jesus wouldn't know you either. Faith without works is a dead faith.

Smooth

Jul 22, 2019
Maybe so, but Muslims worship a false god.
MM, pm me
Funny how every religion is the only right one
Funny how all religions focus on what we can do for God, yet Christianity is the only faith where it’s all about what God has done for us. And yet you have such an ax to grind against Christianity.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Every religion claims to be absolute truth but not one of them can actually prove any of their claims

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
At risk of being told "you have no say in this", I actually find this point of view quite distasteful. As far as I can tell, the summation of biblical law is "love one another". If someone displays that viewpoint and adopts that behaviour, then regardless of their professed faith, how can they be your enemies?

Is loving someone not the exact opposite of being their enemy?

Just my two cents.

Love your enemy

To love your enemy doe not mean to agree with him,
and it does not mean to participate in everything he does,
and it does not mean to simply forgo all vigilance and forget he is still an enemy.

God tells us to be loving... not gullible and naive.

Ohm,
As your profile says you are not a Christian, it should be no surprise if you find the words of Jesus "distasteful." All I did was quote directly from his words. If you do not like his words, that has nothing to do with me. That is between you and God.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Ohm,
I wrote all of the following information specifically for you.
I hope it will clear up some things about the Christian faith.

God Bless.

What it means, Biblically, to be LOVING:

Agape Love:

In the New Testament, there is a Greek word used for the highest, most sublime variety of love, and that word is agape.

To have agape love is to desire another person's highest, most ultimate good.

So what does that look like?
What does that mean in practical terms?

It means I look at another person, and desire for them whatever is the highest good that is possible.
So what IS that highest good?
According to the New Testament, that highest good is that a person be reconciled to God, and have an eternal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
That is the highest good we can desire for someone, according to the New Testament.

Now, that reconciliation comes through Jesus Christ, who came as an atonement, a sacrifice for our sins.

What Agape Love really looks like:

In order to bring someone to this "highest good" of being reconciled to God through Christ, we must be honest about many difficult realities.

1. We have to be honest in talking about sin.
a. A person cannot accept a sacrifice for his sin if he does not first understand, and admit, that he HAS sin.
b. So to talk about sin, and how it comes between us and GOD, may SEEM unloving... but in actuallity, it is part of this "agape" love, it is the first step in reconciling someone to God through Christ.

2. We have to be honest in talking about all eternal truths: our faith, the scripture, and all things in life that deal with morality and with God.
a. To forgo honesty about eternal truths, in an attempt to appease people, is NOT to show real "agape" love.
b. To pretend everyone is ok, when they are not, is NOT to show real "agape" love.

3. The real Christian view - we view all mankind as sick, and in need of a doctor.
a. The Bible tells us "all have sinned", and that this sin separates us from God.
b. That means all humans, all of us, every single one of us, have a malady deep within us, a propensity to sin, and this comes between us and God.
c. This is like a "spiritual illness"; and for this spiritual illness, God provided a cure, the sacrifice of Christ to make atonement for our sin.
d. This is why Jesus is sometimes called "the great physician."

4. How can we have this "agape" love, and desire people's ultimate good, if we are not honest in telling them about their need for a spiritual doctor?
a. Can we truly show agape love by pretending everyone is ok?
b. Can we truly show agape love by just agreeing with people, when they claim they aren't ill?
c. Can we truly show agape love by ignoring everyone's spiritual illness?
d. Can we truly show agape love by ignoring the words of the "great physician", even at moments when his words are difficult, just in order to appease people?
* Is it not more loving to tell people, honestly, about their illness, and about their need of a doctor?
* Is the approach of honesty, in the hope of giving the spiritual cure to the spiritually ill, not the genuine approach of showing genuine agape love?

Conclusion - Understanding Genuine Love

1. To understand Christianity, you need to understand a biblical definition of love, not an arbitrary or "popular" definition of love.

2. To love someone, biblically, is not to agree with them, or appease them, it is to seek their highest good... it is to tell them about the "great physician", and the terrible illness they have, for which they desperately need him.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
At risk of being told "you have no say in this", I actually find this point of view quite distasteful. As far as I can tell, the summation of biblical law is "love one another". If someone displays that viewpoint and adopts that behaviour, then regardless of their professed faith, how can they be your enemies?

Is loving someone not the exact opposite of being their enemy?

Just my two cents.
Matthew 5:43-44 : "You have heart tht it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR' and hate your enemy.' 44. But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45... NASB (all I had close by)

I would encourage you to take a look at that in whatever version you choose as those words are in scripture.

Coming from Jesus^

So you have to take step back and sort of think about what "tough love" is and how everyone wants to give out this "nice love".

There are many different kinds of love as well as different depths, but it is important to come from a biblical standpoint on it.

I may "love my enemy" but what does that love look like precisely? Think about a parent punishing a child for something they deliberately did wrong...taking a away a toy, or "time out", or even spanking (idk if I'll spank my children tbh). It hurts and is painful to the child and my parents used to tell me it hurt them too...

And ^that's just a parent/offspring relationship.

How much more when it comes to someone you call an enemy? To me the parental example is "tough love"
and that we may not like chastisement but it comes from love as per scripture. You can't deny discipline as necessary for a grounded child even with people that have no belief in the Lord so it's a useful way to look at it.

Even in the OT the love of ones enemies is seen as a "courtesy" in 2 Kings 6:20-23.

as well as I would argue the ability for some (except those to whom were specifically excluded for a reason) to sojourn with Israel and become one with them eventually (such as rahab). I'd have to do a bit of digging on the sojourning aspect but you can read Deut. and see that. It talks about them being allowed to join the assembly and the method by which that occurred. Sojourning is somewhat difficult because it means temporary but as with Ruth some choose to stay.

So providing a sort of option in my view is loving in the OT. Tis narrow certainly but that's also what Jesus said.

if this view or scripture is in any way helpful to you I can expound a bit.

As to the OP though I do agree that focusing on the similarities is a good thing if you are missional minded about it. That's where to start, it's a good way to gauge their receptiveness. There is probably such a thing as a "pharasaical muslim" who is completely closed and feels as though they have arrived, I haven't met one but I have seen it in Christianity. The only muslims I have met are either searching, or muslims mostly in name only.

I had a long conversation with a guy that I brought up Jesus multiple times at a bar and we talked about positive and negative forces and things that I define as evil he also did vehemently (as per scripture). It's not even just that it's said in scripture as mere words...it's "inside you". Eventually he told me he was a muslim, and our convo fell off a bit after that because the music got loud and I was just picking up my sister.

I would have continued to look for similarities and not differences and usually when I hit a difference I firmly state my position and what I believe/know to be true and if we can continue, we can.

There are people out there that are open to the truth, it just takes a relationship of some kind. In a neutral setting preferably.

I've heard of some ministries that want you to sort of "breath" in other cultures...like going to a Ramadan feast in order to learn about them in order to witness and I can only say that rubs me the wrong way unless you feel particularly led. I personally would stay away from that. There is a place where things can get so vague and you really want agreement/peace/harmony all around but I don't think this can be. Love can certainly be present though and we can't see all the ways it affects others.

There's no reason to be apart of their ceremonies. To be aware of the and what they are...you can simply ask. It's not about what their religion teaches it's about what it means "to them" and why they do it. I don't need to know what Ramadan is, what does it mean to you? Why do you celebrate it/honor it? Tis a lot more useful because it opens up the conversation.

Neither do I need to observe any other ritualistic activity, I can ask them targeted questions to get a better understanding which allows it to go through my own filter. Feels safer/wiser...

As with all religions, I believe the Lord has people that know him in each one and just haven't "met" him if that makes sense. That's why I'm not opposed to looking if it comes across my path but I don't feel led to just try to convert people. Just listen and be open to an opportunity. I rather like and seek to emulate how Paul preached on Mars hill. Did he have many that were willing to "hear him"? No. But a few, which is cool :)

A bit tangential but each person is unique and their life isn't something you can understand outside of the Lord's spirit opening that up for you. I think it's quite important to rest in his leading and to not tread in certain places unless it is clear to you that is what he would have. If you feel an overwhelming burden and are unsure if it is the Lord...my experience has been that there will always be something in scripture to support that.

S

SpoonJuly

My RELIGIOUS beliefs are a result of many years of personal Bible study.
Just as most of you, I believe that My beliefs are correct and those who disagree do not understand the Bible.
Because we disagree does not mean I do not love you. It does not mean we can not be cordial toward one another.

The activities of my life revolve around and are based on my belief.
I say all this so you might understand that I can not have fellowship with those who do not believe as I do.
I see a great difference in being friendly, cordial, not being rude and having fellowship with others.
Fellowship is very special and we should be very careful who we fellowship with.

Smooth

Jul 22, 2019
Every religion claims to be absolute truth but not one of them can actually prove any of their claims
Jesus’ Resurrection was witnessed by five hundred people. But that’s not proof enough for you. Speaks volumes...

Smooth

Jul 22, 2019
Just as most of you, I believe that My beliefs are correct and those who disagree do not understand the Bible.
Because we disagree does not mean I do not love you. It does not mean we can not be cordial toward one another.

I say all this so you might understand that I can not have fellowship with those who do not believe as I do.
I see a great difference in being friendly, cordial, not being rude and having fellowship with others.
Fellowship is very special and we should be very careful who we fellowship with.
You can’t have fellowship with anyone who does not agree [completely] with your views or do you mean you can’t have fellowship with nonChristians?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When we as Christians reach out to other religions with the love of Christ we can build friendships by seeing things we have in common and positive things in their religion as well as seeing ways our own faith can grow and reach out to all people.
Christians should clearly distinguish between reaching out to ALL RELIGIONISTS with love and reaching out to "other religions".

All religionists need Christ, therefore we need to reach out to *every creature*. But we need to always be aware that there is a fundamental conflict between Bible Christianity and all religions (including false Christianity). The only way to God the Father is through the Lord Jesus Christ, but all other religions reject that. The only way to Heaven is through the blood of Christ.

Ecumenism is extremely deceptive in that it deludes other religionists into thinking that their religion is OK. But God will not accept any other religion since it bypasses Christ and His cross. And even false Christianity fails to see that salvation is purely by God's grace through faith in Christ ALONE, and His perfect finished work of redemption.

K

kaylagrl

Worshiping a false god and poorly worshiping God are two different things.

No, I'm sorry, that's not true. Other "religions" do not worship God, poorly or otherwise. Muslims worship a false god, not the God of the Bible.

K

kaylagrl

Any force that does not point to the unequivocal divinity of Jesus Christ is not unifying and definitely not glorifying to God. Love people and pray for them, but do so being as wise as serpents and as gentle as doves.

Exactly!! How will they ever know the truth and come out of false religions if we who have the truth and light won't tell them. We are suppose to be salt and light. Salt cleans, we need to remember that.

K

kaylagrl

We're commanded to love our enemies...to welcome the stranger, feed the hungry, clothe the naked. The greatest commandment is to love God with all our heart and soul, and the next greatest commandment is like it, to love our neighbour. Yes some Muslims are hostile towards Christians, but when you fight fire with fire the only thing you get is more fire. Roman emperor Julian, known as the Apostate wrote of the wonderful things Christians did, not just for themselves...but for everyone, even Roman Pagans...and he lamented that Rome wasn't taking care of its own as well as the Christian 'atheists' (to Julian the Roman Pantheon was the true faith)

“The Roman Emperor Julian, writing in the fourth century, regretted the progress of Christianity because it pulled people away from the Roman gods. He said, 'Atheism [I.e. the Christian faith!] has been specially advanced
through the loving service rendered to strangers, and through their care for the burial of the dead. It is a scandal that there is not a single Jew who is a beggar, and that the godless Galileans care not only for their own poor but for ours as well; while those who belong to us look in vain for the help that we should render them.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/34...ulian-writing-in-the-fourth-century-regretted

Yes, we are to lovingly share the Word, but we don't agree with false religions. Muslims are getting saved and coming to Christ. If Christians, so called, tell them they are good just as they are they are sending them square flat to hell. If you love a person you tell the truth. We are salt and light. You are leading them astray if you do not correct their error and you certainly don't love them.

K

kaylagrl

Funny how every religion is the only right one

Aww come on brother, you know better than that. They can't all be right and only one gave up their life for you. You know the truth, share the light.

K

kaylagrl

Those who believe that Christianity is the one true faith, that the only way to the Father is through the Son....and that we're commanded to be beacons and to spread the Gospel....I know of no better way to do that than by example. Personally I view Muslims as being no different from most other faiths, many followers of these faiths genuinely want to know God and to earn eternal salvation...but they think its done on a balance scale, that their good deeds and devotion need to weigh more than their sin....And so they're missing out on the joyful liberation that comes from knowing that ones sins are washed clean...that they can be born anew and thus be welcomed into God's Holy Presence.

Works are the fruit of The Spirit which comes from faith in Christ, they are not a payment on a ledger of good and bad.

Agreed, they need to know the Truth of Gods Word. But first you need to tell them they are believing in a false god. But it takes discernment. I'm not talking about beating people over the head with the Bible.

K

kaylagrl

Its a good thing that Paul and his followers didn't take this view otherwise there would be no Church

Hello!! Thank you,just saved me saying it.

K

kaylagrl

I personally don't believe in OSAS. I have friends that don't believe in tongues, and so on. But that is different than those who do not believe Jesus is God and allah or any other god replaced the God of the Bible. I have no fellowship with these people because I cannot agree with them. That doesn't mean I can't be friendly and share the Word of God.

K

kaylagrl

When we as Christians reach out to other religions with the love of Christ we can build friendships by seeing things we have in common and positive things in their religion as well as seeing ways our own faith can grow and reach out to all people.

For instance, many Muslim women wear natural modest long dresses which is something many Christian women wear. And many Christian women also wear hair coverings similar to Muslim women.

Muslim women have no choice in many instances of what they can wear. They have no freedom in Muslim majority countries and are used and abused. There is no comparison and I can't believe you'd try to say there is.

Also black Burka's (black clothing) is something that some Christian women also have worn, such as nuns, to set them apart from non-religious women, and as an expression of humility and repentance.

Again Muslim women have no freedom,they are degraded. They are abused and used and men are the ultimate authority. No comparison to the way Christ treated women or how Christian men should treat women.

Muslims also have great respect for their holy scriptures and have traditional holy days and fasting similar to some Christians, as well as discipline that builds character and humble reverence for God as they understand Him through their scriptures.

"Humble reverence for God as they understand Him through their scriptures" But they can't understand God through their scriptures. Their god is a false god. The only way they can come to the real God is through the truth of the Word!!

[/QUOTE]

S

SpoonJuly

You can’t have fellowship with anyone who does not agree [completely] with your views or do you mean you can’t have fellowship with nonChristians?
Let me give you an example---
I believe that salvation can not be lost and you do.
That difference in what we believe will always be a problem when we discuss Scripture, and I tend to discuss Scripture often when I am with others.
Our disagreement will not stop me from loving you, being friendly toward you, but that difference in understanding does hinder our fellowship.
I like to be around people who believe as I do and have the same values as I do.
There are just to much evil in this world that we all have to deal with each day.
Why have fellowship with people who's belief is different and that difference leads to problems in that fellowship.

Is that really fellowship.

Dooms

Feb 8, 2018
As Christians we are wealthy to have hit the "holy lottery" of religions. However that is a call to our Grace and Longsuffering to those who did not. After all, there will not be a multiple choice quiz at the gate of Heaven for those who happened to pick the correct earthly religion. Don't be a modern pharisee and look down your nose at the unlucky.