I will present this situation to the best of my ability to you. I apologize for the long post, but I believe it is necessary in order to gain a clearer picture on the situation.
I work for a company and am paid a salary, which I receive once a month. Payday has come and gone, and I have not received my pay. I have reached out to my employers, but I have been getting no reply. I am to be paid on the 5th of every month. What should I do?
Background information that may affect this situation:
For a while, my company was wanting me to get my passport in order for me to travel with work. They were willing to pay all travel expenses, including $50 a day when I was not at home. Upon learning this, my mother had been uneasy and was uneasy for a long while. They were wanting me to visit Amsterdam with them for IBC (international broadcasting convention) to help run their booth. I didn't have much money to go out and purchase my passport, and I forgot to make my appointment sometimes.
When IBC drew closer, they were pushing me to get my passport, and I finally did make an appointment. My mother was warning me about traveling with them, as I would have to travel alone to Amsterdam, and I had no type of health insurance or anything offered by my job. I told them the day I had my passport (this may have been my mistake) that I was uncomfortable traveling, and had even had a dream that troubled me about it. They were upset, as they were counting on me to make it and had already pre-figured the cost if I were to attend. I understand their frustration, as, at my hiring, it was explained to me that I would travel and now I was backing out (I wouldn't mind traveling within the country, but out of country seemed a little out, which my mother's intuition and the dream I had told me).
I went to my passport appointment with my required forms of identification, and it turns out they would not accept my birth certificate and that I needed a certain type in order to apply for the passport. Obtaining the correct birth certificate form would require ordering, which would not allow me to receive my passport by the time I would need to leave for Amsterdam. Had I not told them I was uneasy about traveling, and that I wouldn't, perhaps their anger would have not been as kindled, as there is not much one can do about such a manner.
I told them I would begin to look for a new job, and they told me I would need to stay until they found a replacement for me, as that would be the right thing to do. And I do agree with them. I do not wish to screw them over, even though I basically did already (though they did get someone to go from a remote office in Uruguay, it just cost more to bring that individual than it would have me). I also told them that I would continue to work diligently for the remainder of the time I am at the company, however long that may be.
I think I should have just kept to my word upon hiring and had my passport ready and went to Amsterdam for the convention. But it is what it is.
I understand their frustration and could see if they were to withhold my paycheck due to extra expenses. But I am hoping that they just forgot about my paycheck, as it hasn't been the first time I wasn't paid on time. They were surely extremely busy around the time of IBC, which happened to be just a few days after my pay date. During the convention, there is really no way to contact them, so I was waiting mostly for the convention to be over in order to speak with them about it.
IBC was Sept. 8 - Sept. 13
Other things to note:
I am the only employee working in the office here in the United States.
Most other employees are stationed in Istanbul, Turkey, which is where my bosses are from and stay. We have one sales rep here in the states who is commission only, so he does not need to come to the office. There are other remote offices around the world as well, such as Uruguay and the Philippines. The time difference between here and Istanbul is very wide, which gives only a small window for live communication.
I work for a company and am paid a salary, which I receive once a month. Payday has come and gone, and I have not received my pay. I have reached out to my employers, but I have been getting no reply. I am to be paid on the 5th of every month. What should I do?
Background information that may affect this situation:
For a while, my company was wanting me to get my passport in order for me to travel with work. They were willing to pay all travel expenses, including $50 a day when I was not at home. Upon learning this, my mother had been uneasy and was uneasy for a long while. They were wanting me to visit Amsterdam with them for IBC (international broadcasting convention) to help run their booth. I didn't have much money to go out and purchase my passport, and I forgot to make my appointment sometimes.
When IBC drew closer, they were pushing me to get my passport, and I finally did make an appointment. My mother was warning me about traveling with them, as I would have to travel alone to Amsterdam, and I had no type of health insurance or anything offered by my job. I told them the day I had my passport (this may have been my mistake) that I was uncomfortable traveling, and had even had a dream that troubled me about it. They were upset, as they were counting on me to make it and had already pre-figured the cost if I were to attend. I understand their frustration, as, at my hiring, it was explained to me that I would travel and now I was backing out (I wouldn't mind traveling within the country, but out of country seemed a little out, which my mother's intuition and the dream I had told me).
I went to my passport appointment with my required forms of identification, and it turns out they would not accept my birth certificate and that I needed a certain type in order to apply for the passport. Obtaining the correct birth certificate form would require ordering, which would not allow me to receive my passport by the time I would need to leave for Amsterdam. Had I not told them I was uneasy about traveling, and that I wouldn't, perhaps their anger would have not been as kindled, as there is not much one can do about such a manner.
I told them I would begin to look for a new job, and they told me I would need to stay until they found a replacement for me, as that would be the right thing to do. And I do agree with them. I do not wish to screw them over, even though I basically did already (though they did get someone to go from a remote office in Uruguay, it just cost more to bring that individual than it would have me). I also told them that I would continue to work diligently for the remainder of the time I am at the company, however long that may be.
I think I should have just kept to my word upon hiring and had my passport ready and went to Amsterdam for the convention. But it is what it is.
I understand their frustration and could see if they were to withhold my paycheck due to extra expenses. But I am hoping that they just forgot about my paycheck, as it hasn't been the first time I wasn't paid on time. They were surely extremely busy around the time of IBC, which happened to be just a few days after my pay date. During the convention, there is really no way to contact them, so I was waiting mostly for the convention to be over in order to speak with them about it.
IBC was Sept. 8 - Sept. 13
Other things to note:
I am the only employee working in the office here in the United States.
Most other employees are stationed in Istanbul, Turkey, which is where my bosses are from and stay. We have one sales rep here in the states who is commission only, so he does not need to come to the office. There are other remote offices around the world as well, such as Uruguay and the Philippines. The time difference between here and Istanbul is very wide, which gives only a small window for live communication.