Separation of Christ and job

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

flight316

We all need our jobs, but are we to silence ourselves concerning Christ because we are at work? Do we put Jesus away at the beginning of or shift and pull Him back out at the end of our shift. Do we turn those away that seek our spiritual advice and prayer? Are we not to acknowledge Him for those 8 hrs each day? What would God have us to do in this situation? I actually feel guilty when I refrain from talking about Him in those 8 hrs. What are your thoughts

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
You have the responsibility of showing the virtues and character of Christ at all times, including "on the job".

Part of showing Christ's character "on the job" is to do a good job, and show respect and obedience to your employer.
If your employer doesn't want you to witness VERBALLY, then you need to respect his wishes.
You can still show your witness through your conduct.

If your employer wants you to do things which you feel are breaking the law, or violating scripture, then you need to find a different employer.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
I completely agree with the poster above ^^

But I also understand what you're saying. We are called to be the light of this world, but are we light bulb switches, where we can go on and off?

I don't think so. :D

At every point of time, we ought to show Christlike qualities, to be humble and kind, and gracious and to work hard; there are no rules against these.

And if someone asks you for advice and prayer, then consider it an opportunity to share Christ with them.

However, keeping in mind the environment, and the rules of your workplace, you could do it in an appropriate place and time.

I live in India, and amongst multiple religions.

It's quite commonplace to see people with all sorts of religious paraphernalia.

I find it a distraction and I would prefer if the workplace was more secular because its the work that must be assessed, and not the people.

However, keep praying and keep showing the light of Christ to others. Don't hesitate to help anyone and continue to love others.

Daniel , in the Bible is a good role model. He worked for a hedonistic king, amongst unbelievers in a foreign culture and yet he brought a lot of glory to God.

Those are my thoughts. God bless you and much love.

:)

F

flight316

I am also obligated to follow the rules of the workplace. Let's call it what it is. It is sensorship. No pray in schools. Remove the ten commandments from certain buildings. X-mas instead of Christmas. No prayer at certain public events. Prastors are sensored from preaching on certain subjects in the pulpit or face being put in jail. All to make non-christians feel comfortable. Little by little we will continue to be sensored. There is an appropriote time and place for us. That time and place continues to get smaller and smaller.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I am also obligated to follow the rules of the workplace. Let's call it what it is. It is sensorship. No pray in schools. Remove the ten commandments from certain buildings. X-mas instead of Christmas. No prayer at certain public events. Prastors are sensored from preaching on certain subjects in the pulpit or face being put in jail. All to make non-christians feel comfortable. Little by little we will continue to be sensored. There is an appropriote time and place for us. That time and place continues to get smaller and smaller.
I agree.
I think all Christians would have to agree.
I think all Christians are frustrated, and disheartened, by these same things.

However, I don't think these issues of censorship are new.
The New Testament church doesn't live in a Christian world, and it never has.
So as frustrating as it is, most of the world has always been this way,
and there are biblical principles to help us to deal with things.

Let me add a few things that might cheer you up.

Your conduct, and the words which come out of your mouth,
TRULY are a powerful witness even if you can't openly share the gospel at work.

There have been times when I've been on a lunch break, reading my bible,
not saying anything to anyone, and people have come up to me, and actually
ASKED ME if I could tell them how to be saved!

Seriously.
It happens.

I've had other people come up and ask if I was a Christian,
and WANT to talk to me about God...
JUST BECAUSE I was polite, and didn't use any swear words.

WE STICK OUT.

Just walk with God, and you'll stick out.

God Bless,
Max
: )

Last edited:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Lots of folks talk the talk...........but IF you walk the walk, you don't have to tell folks you are a Christian, they will figure that out for themselves......

Big difference between "striving to LIVE Christ-like," and "striving to TALK Christ-like."

:)

F

flight316

Yes you must walk the walk. But you can't walk a prayer. You can't walk receiving Christ into you life without speaking it. You have to speak to share and witness. Walking the life is a major part of the life, but as you know there is more to it than that.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Yes you must walk the walk. But you can't walk a prayer. You can't walk receiving Christ into you life without speaking it. You have to speak to share and witness. Walking the life is a major part of the life, but as you know there is more to it than that.
flight316,
Your opening post was about restrictions in the workplace, and what to do when you're not able to be a witness there.

We live in a fallen world, where very often there is a "best" solution, but never a "perfect" solution.
The commenters here have tried to offer some solutions, although imperfect solutions, on how to view, and deal, with this issue.

You seem very unhappy with the perspectives and solutions offered.
I understand.
There might be a much better solutions in scripture we've overlooked.

Let me ask you a question;
what is your plan?
What is your course of action based on the bible... what is your plan?

It's alright to seek biblical solutions, but it isn't biblical for us to complain about everything without genuinely seeking a solution.
So... what are you thinking?
What are you going to do?

Last edited:
F

flight316

Maxwel I appreciate your response. My purpose for the op is to see what others are thinking. I have no complaints and I have no specific plan. I approach each situation as it is prested to me. In other words I cross that bridge when I get it with Gods help and direction.

Toska

Nov 16, 2013
I like what you said about crossing the bridge with God's help and direction. I am a teacher in a public school. When I became a Christian, I was not sure about a lot of things. But, we got a new principal who is a very dedicated Christian. We have "faculty fellowship" once a week and do a bible/book study once a week (before and after school, not during). I feel blessed to be able to get together with fellow Christians in my workplace. And, I have had several of my co-workers who are not Christians come to me with questions about my faith and the change they have witnessed in me:) It has given me several opportunities to talk about Him to the people who are lost.

With all that said, I agree with what you all have been saying about walking the walk. People see a change in me and they want to know about it. It has given me several opportunities to discuss the Lord with people......at their request. I have two specific people that I am praying for every day. They are so close to accepting Him into their lives!

C

ContentCanadian

I talk to Him through out the day..giving Him thanks...apologizing for kind of "forgetting" about Him as I go through my work day. Quoting scripture to myself especially then times are stressful, giving Him praise, asking Him for wisdom while I work, I have a desk weight from Corinthians encouraging me to work as though working for the Lord. So though I may not be proclaiming Him with my mouth, he is not put away while I work. I have a Bible in my desk and sometimes I go off and read it during coffee break or lunch and when I pray in the morning I pray for and over my workplace.

I know we are called to testify, but I think the the Spirit will move us when it is appropriate to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

flight316

Toska, your post hit it dead on. God bless you.

Oct 31, 2011
In my bible study class we are making a study of the way that Hitler worked to lead his people in opposing God and comparing it to what is being done today. The steps are clearly the same. We are making this study to prepare ourselves to live in the world that scripture tells us we will have. Also to find ways to stop the progress toward this world as much as we can.

The only way to do that is to follow what Daniel did. We need to make the best of the world we have to live in, but decide where we will draw the line. Each one of us who is quietly living our lives that daily renews our minds to be close to our triune God with prayer and strength in Him is doing a mighty work. Remember when God looked for Godly men in Sodom before God destroyed that city? We have great power when we use the power of God.

God's strength is peaceful, quiet, and strong. I don't think the people we call bible thumpers are the real power of the Lord.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Here's a thought, so stay with me on this......... :)

What if? Just what if way back when all this started........when the anti-Christian movement in Government and Society decided to EXPELL God and Christ from our midst..........what if the Church had stood up EN MASS and said:

UH, YEAH, THAT AIN'T HAPPENING.........

What if? When the Public School System expelled God and prayer......and reading the Bible, the Church EN MASS pulled their children from the Public Schools and said......"uh, nope, not standing for that," what do ya suppose would have happened?

Does the Government arrest tens of millions of men, women and children for doing this? Yeah, I don't see that happening.

What if? When the Government said you can't read your Bible, pray, or speak of God at work, the Church had stood up EN MASS and said......."yeah, we ain't going for that........sorry," what do you suppose would have happened? What? They are going to fire tens of millions of men and women? Seriously? I don't think so.

See, I have never really blamed Government, or the anti-Christian movement in the US for what has occurred, I blame the Church. Seriously........See, God doesn't give "time outs." He doesn't say.........."Hey! Love Me, obey Me, uh well, except when you are at work, or your kids are at school.....then it's ok to pretend I don't exist. Wouldn't want to offend anyone ya know........."

So, question is.............WHAT IF?

Toska

Nov 16, 2013
Toska, your post hit it dead on. God bless you.
Thank you, flight316. I feel so blessed having the Lord in my life. I am grateful for every opportunity I have to talk to anyone who is undecided in their life. I was undecided until recently, I want to tell everyone about how wonderful life with Him is:)

jb

Feb 27, 2010
We all need our jobs, but are we to silence ourselves concerning Christ because we are at work? Do we put Jesus away at the beginning of or shift and pull Him back out at the end of our shift. Do we turn those away that seek our spiritual advice and prayer? Are we not to acknowledge Him for those 8 hrs each day? What would God have us to do in this situation? I actually feel guilty when I refrain from talking about Him in those 8 hrs. What are your thoughts
Secular work done for the Lord Jesus is JUST as important as fulfilling any (spiritual) ministry!

Eph 4v11-16, Col 3 (esp. v23,24)

Yahweh Shalom...

acesneverwin

Jun 8, 2011
The people who ACT like Christians were always more effective to me than the persons who just preached like Christians. You can act like a Christian and others will notice. Being a Christian is not just about saying Jesus or God a bajillion times and to be honest, I actually find most people who do this to be not very genuine anyway. I mean, they may be a believer, but if I was having problems, they are usually not the ones I would go to for help because they tend to be more judgmental, hypocritical, and just want someone to listen while they're up on their soap box etc.

There are a few people, where I'm like, ok I think this person is a Christian because of his actions. Loves people, non judgmental, doesn't talk down, respectful etc. And most of the time, I am right. I think most people in america are familiar with Jesus or God to some extent. I've think many have heard a lot of it. In the work place especially, we need less talking and more actions. If you're actions are godly, people notice and you don't know who is watching you. You may have helped somebody and all you did was treat them with respect. And someone who's really struggling may come to you and ask for help and ask questions. That will create so much more of an impact than just shouting the word out randomly and see if someone picks it up.

Toska

Nov 16, 2013
The people who ACT like Christians were always more effective to me than the persons who just preached like Christians. You can act like a Christian and others will notice. Being a Christian is not just about saying Jesus or God a bajillion times and to be honest, I actually find most people who do this to be not very genuine anyway. I mean, they may be a believer, but if I was having problems, they are usually not the ones I would go to for help because they tend to be more judgmental, hypocritical, and just want someone to listen while they're up on their soap box etc.

There are a few people, where I'm like, ok I think this person is a Christian because of his actions. Loves people, non judgmental, doesn't talk down, respectful etc. And most of the time, I am right. I think most people in america are familiar with Jesus or God to some extent. I've think many have heard a lot of it. In the work place especially, we need less talking and more actions. If you're actions are godly, people notice and you don't know who is watching you. You may have helped somebody and all you did was treat them with respect. And someone who's really struggling may come to you and ask for help and ask questions. That will create so much more of an impact than just shouting the word out randomly and see if someone picks it up.
I couldn't agree more! The people who go around always saying they are a Christian all of the time often make me wonder. If a person lives their life for God and presents themselves as loving, caring, non-judgmental, respectful, etc. they don't have to constantly advertise that they are a Christian. Like I said before, I am a new Christian and I have had several people comment on the change in me. I love, love, love when they ask what is different because that gives me the opportunity to talk to them about the Lord and how wonderful living life for Him is.

F

flight316

Many of you say, act like a christian. How is this done. By projecting a high moral standard. You don't have to be a christian to do that. Any atheist or non-christian can do that. Many of you also make the asumption that the indidual is going around all day on the job talking about the Lod. You know that is not the case. Tell it like it is YOU have restricted yourself. You have chosen to be silent. Your reason is your own. You have silenced your own voice because YOU coose to whatever your reasoning may be, but it is usually due to fear of some repercussion or fear of what someone may think or say about you, not only at work, but anywhere you go. Just like you will do as society continues to constrict the voice of the body of Christ, until they. Silence you completely.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
(in response to flight316)

Full Definition of MORALITY

a : a moral discourse, statement, or lesson
b : a literary or other imaginative work teaching a moral lesson

a : a doctrine or system of moral conduct
b plural : particular moral principles or rules of conduct

: conformity to ideals of right human conduct

: moral conduct : virtue

Synonyms: character, decency, goodness, honesty, integrity, probity, rectitude, righteousness, rightness, uprightness, virtue, virtuousness

My two cents.jpg

I do not believe it is possible for an atheist to "live" such a life........seems to me that it would go against what an atheist is would it not? I also do not believe that an unsaved person who acknowledges that God exists could live such a life. It is so very hard for a Christian to walk Christ - like through this life, and we have the Holy Spirit to strengthen us, I simply do not believe any others could possibly do so.

Now, I would agree that some Christians may not verbally witness day in and day out on the job........what you referred to as "restricting" themselves, but I don't think you can make that a "blanket" statement for ALL Christians. Don't see how you can, because there is no way you can know how ALL Christians behave in the work place. (just saying)

Again, there may be some who act as you assert, but you can not support this assertion for ALL Christians......

One of the most powerful witnesses we have (Christians) is how we live our lives. How we conduct ourselves on a daily basis. How we interact with the world. (see the list of synonyms) And we can do this without "beating people" over the head with our Bibles.