Seventh Day Adventist

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Are Seventh Day Adventists a Cult

• Total voters

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
The SDA church is a cult and it gives the same credence to Ellen White's teachings as it does to the Bible and Scripture. For those of you not familiar with Ellen White, she was originally a member of the Millerite movement who numerously and erroneously predicted the end of the world. When the cultist Millerite movement collapsed, White picked up the banner and co founded the SDA Church. The SDA Church regards White as a prophet, even though almost all of White's prophesies proved to be false. Ellen White's teachings are anti biblical and her prophecies turned out to be false. A real prophet of God does not give false teaching or prophesies: Ellen G. White–False Prophetess – Truediscipleship
It's no longer considered a cult because they ascribe to all the main tenants of the faith. They are no more a cult than churches that follow John Calvin or John Darby or believe in and teach false doctrine--which ALL denominations do. Non-denominations leave what they believe vague to gather more customers.. er...congregants. The reason I wouldn't attend a 7th day Adventist church is because they emphasize the Sabbath as if it is a point of faith--in a legalistic way--and of course because they have not denounced Ellen White as a false prophet.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Please support your position with a verse that states this. I do not take what people say because they say so. Please support your position with CLEAR STRAIGHT FORWARD verses. The seventh day is one of the 10 commandments--tell me why do we keep the other 9, but leave one out?
Matthew 5:17
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Where are we instructed to keep the Sabbath in the NT? Paul especially mentions that the church should not stumble over which days we consider Holy.

Romans 14:4-6
4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.
5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Mofastus

May 23, 2019
1 Corinthians 3:20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

1 Corinthians 3:21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;

1 Corinthians 3:22 Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;

1 Corinthians 3:23 And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

Thank you Jesus!!!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
We don't consider it legalism to keep the rest of the 9 commandments--if you see my other posts--I only began studying the Sabbath recently--I was reading over the Commandments and wondered why we believe we must keep all of them--except honoring the Sabbath.

"“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
We still live to keep the Sabbath but the Sabbath is now everyday of the week.

Hebrews 4:6-11
New International Version

6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:
“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.”[a]
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,[b] just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

We pick up our crosses daily.

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
Matthew 5:17
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Where are we instructed to keep the Sabbath in the NT? Paul especially mentions that the church should not stumble over which days we consider Holy.

Romans 14:4-6
4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.
5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
Nothing you have here supports not obeying God's command to Honor the Sabbath. He sanctified it!

Romans 14 is about how to handle a weaker brother... in it says 'a' sabbath day--those were special days, like Holidays not THE Sabbath Day.

You say "where are we instructed to keep the Sabbath?" So are you saying Jesus did not say to keep the commandments? Are you saying we do not need to obey the other nine commandments? Christ said plainly if you love me "KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS." He did not say ten minus one of the Commandments he said THE COMMANDMENTS. He even added to those:

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."--John 13:34

Why would anyone not want to honor the Sabbath and keep it Holy? It is a day of rest given to us and sanctified by God--God's work of Creation was COMPLETED, which points to Christ's finished work on the cross and ultimately to the FINAL SABBATH REST when Christ comes again--it is not a burden to bear--as Christ said, 'Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath.'

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
We still live to keep the Sabbath but the Sabbath is now everyday of the week.

Hebrews 4:6-11
New International Version

6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:
“Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts.”[a]
8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,[b] just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

We pick up our crosses daily.
This still doesn't say we don't keep one of the ten commandments-it doesn't make sense--the Sabbath Rest is speaking of our final home with the Lord.

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020

"All we like sheep are led astray."--the majority of churches do not follow the teaching of the gospel or the model of the first century church. Every single denomination has twisted the scriptures in someway with false doctrine,

"Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them."--Acts 20:30

This had already begun in the first century, while many of the apostles were still living--can you imagine how much worse it is now?

And nearly all non-denominational churches are focused on MAN and saying what "his itching ears want to hear" -- rather than the gospel. And they are run more like a business than a fellowship.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Matthew 19
Just then a man came up to Jesus and inquired, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to obtain eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask Me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only
One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” the man asked.

Jesus answered, “ ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bear
false witness, 19 honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Mark 10
You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not
steal, do not bear false witness, do not cheat others, honor your father and mother.’”

Luke 18
steal, do not bear false witness, do not cheat others, honor your father and mother.’”

Does anyone think Jesus simply forgot to mention keeping the Sabbath?

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
Matthew 19
Just then a man came up to Jesus and inquired, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to obtain eternal life?”

Jesus answered, “ ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bear
false witness, 19 honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Mark 10

Luke 18

Dear Friend,

Does that mean we only keep these six and not the other three since Jesus did not name them here either?:unsure:

(this is not counting the Sabbath commandment, that would make four missing)

Mofastus

May 23, 2019
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mofastus

May 23, 2019
Psalms 118:21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.

Psalms 118:22 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.

Psalms 118:23 This is the LORD'S doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.

Psalms 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalms 118:25 Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.

Psalms 118:26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.

Thank you Jesus!!!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

The commandments “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,”
and any other commandments, are summed up in this one decree: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
Romans 13:9

Matthew 7:12
In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do
to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets.

Romans 13:10
:)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Galatians 5:14
The entire law is fulfilled in a single decree: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
Matthew 19

Mark 10I

Luke 18

After seeing four were missing I looked it up and found this article:

Why did Christ mention only six of the Ten Commandments, in Matthew 19:16-19?
Does this mean the others were done away? No! King David said, “all of His commandments are sure. They stand fast forever and ever…” (Psa. 111:7-8). Christ, as God of the Old Testament (I Cor. 10:4), also stated, “I am the Lord, I change not” (Mal. 3:6).
Because Christ was speaking to a Jew, he had to clarify of which commandments he was speaking. By citing some of the Ten Commandments, He clarified that He was speaking about God’s commands, not the commands of the Sanhedrin (the Jewish “Supreme Court”).
To clarify this further, look at which commandments He did state: “You shall do no murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and your mother: and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Christ wanted to reassert to the listener the importance of loving his neighbor (Matt. 19:22). The rich man’s refusal to use his wealth to help others proved that he needed a lesson in these principles.
One should also note the commandments that Christ did not directly mention: “You shall have no other gods before me…You shall not make unto you any graven image…You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain…Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy…You shall not covet…” (Ex. 20:3-8, 17).
Because Christ did not directly refer to these commandments, is it alright to break them? For instance, is it acceptable to worship other gods? To swear, break the Sabbath or covet? The answer: of course not!

ankagirl

Feb 10, 2021
So I often times have to endure the talking points of my grandmother's Seventh Day Adventist beliefs. Mostly about not keeping the Sabbath or soul sleep. They give me books that their prophet wrote and I always wonder why people in these types of religions put such weight on the words of a modern self proclaimed prophet? We saw this with both Islam and Mormonism.

Below is the letter that my grandfather in law gave me with the Great Controversy book.

Dear ___________,

I believe I gave you this book in paperback form. By now you may have read the entire book. If not, I highly recommend it as it gives a definite account of where we are going and what to expect at the end of time. This book I am giving you today is a wonderful illustrated copy with many paintings that help to make the book come alive. Please find time to read and enjoy it.

Did you know there will soon be a Sunday law in the USA requiring worship on Sunday? When this law is passed there will then be two classes of people....those who worship on Sunday and receive the mark of the beast and those who worship on the seventh day Sabbath and have the seal of god. There will be no fence sitting on this issue. The bible is clear on this and The Great Controversy book covers this in detail. When the law is passed, probation closes and those who continue to worship on Sunday are doomed...they will not be part of the first resurrection but will be part of the second. Confused about that? This book explains it all and is 100 percent biblically accurate. This book will bring your bible to life for you. Please take time to read it.

When you have read it you will understand why I keep the Sabbath and would rather be put to death than renounce the Sabbath.

Respectfully, your grandfather in law, ______.

They are loving people and we have great conversations when we remain Biblical as my grandmother knows the Bible lack the back of her hand which is why I am always surprised at how she lets the words of a prophet twist some of the areas like Sabbath worship being of extreme importance that it happens on Saturday.

Do any of you share similar thoughts?

Would you go as far to call Seventh Day Adventist a cult as in would their misguided teachings lead anyone to hell? Or misguided but not so much so to lose salvation?
I think that there are some people that ended up with the SDA that have been misled by a seeming 'truth', and may be saved. However, I also believe that if one is saved, then the Holy Ghost would guide them to see the truth about the SDA church. However, I do believe that most SDA members are unsaved, because they teach a works-based salvation. I regularly share the gospel with strangers, and most times that I've encountered an Seventh-Day Adventist, the conversation has initially gone down to whether we are saved by our faith or our works.
It can be deceiving because they will start out by giving all the right answers. However, I have found that as you dig deeper you find more and more unbiblical and strange beliefs. Their strongest and most fiercely defended is the Sabbath. They believe that those who do not worship on Sabbath (basically anyone who worships on Sunday) has the mark of the beast on them and cannot be saved.

https://www.bible.ca/7-mark-beast.htm

They also believe that Jesus died for all sins EXCEPT for not keeping the Sabbath. This is a heresy, because the bible clearly states that Jesus died for ALL the sins of the world (My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2).

The saddest thing about the SDA church is that they seem to be so zealous about God's commandments and following Him, when they are only leading people away from God and bringing themselves down as well.

Mofastus

May 23, 2019
Galatians 5:14
The entire law is fulfilled in a single decree: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Nothing you have here supports not obeying God's command to Honor the Sabbath. He sanctified it!

Romans 14 is about how to handle a weaker brother... in it says 'a' sabbath day--those were special days, like Holidays not THE Sabbath Day.

You say "where are we instructed to keep the Sabbath?" So are you saying Jesus did not say to keep the commandments? Are you saying we do not need to obey the other nine commandments? Christ said plainly if you love me "KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS." He did not say ten minus one of the Commandments he said THE COMMANDMENTS. He even added to those:

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."--John 13:34

Why would anyone not want to honor the Sabbath and keep it Holy? It is a day of rest given to us and sanctified by God--God's work of Creation was COMPLETED, which points to Christ's finished work on the cross and ultimately to the FINAL SABBATH REST when Christ comes again--it is not a burden to bear--as Christ said, 'Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath.'
Again where is the command repeated in the NT?

Romans 14:5 speaks on sacred days. Is the Sabbath sacred?

This is not about obeying as we are given commands in a none legalistic sense which you agree.

We are in that final sabbath rest. For the redeemed we are in that rest as we are sealed for what is to come.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I think that there are some people that ended up with the SDA that have been misled by a seeming 'truth', and may be saved. However, I also believe that if one is saved, then the Holy Ghost would guide them to see the truth about the SDA church. However, I do believe that most SDA members are unsaved, because they teach a works-based salvation. I regularly share the gospel with strangers, and most times that I've encountered an Seventh-Day Adventist, the conversation has initially gone down to whether we are saved by our faith or our works.
It can be deceiving because they will start out by giving all the right answers. However, I have found that as you dig deeper you find more and more unbiblical and strange beliefs. Their strongest and most fiercely defended is the Sabbath. They believe that those who do not worship on Sabbath (basically anyone who worships on Sunday) has the mark of the beast on them and cannot be saved.

https://www.bible.ca/7-mark-beast.htm

They also believe that Jesus died for all sins EXCEPT for not keeping the Sabbath. This is a heresy, because the bible clearly states that Jesus died for ALL the sins of the world (My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2).

The saddest thing about the SDA church is that they seem to be so zealous about God's commandments and following Him, when they are only leading people away from God and bringing themselves down as well.
That is sad but I agree on your observation as well.