Severe Dressing Down

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Why not? Men don't care how they look anyway. At least smart men don't care. Seems to me it would be better for a man to wear sweatpants than a woman, as woman stereotypically care a lot about their appearance.

Of course I never have cared about stereotypes either, but as long as we are making them about men and sweatpants, why not go all out?

M

Miri

I’m 51 with purple hair and wear doc Martin boots.

My general look is grunge at home and smartish casual everywhere else!
Occasionally I may wear a dress but smart jeans and t-shirt are more me.

I can wear most colours as long as they are cool or cold shades.

1571692521838.gif

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I think this has to do with the unpleasant fact that I now qualify as an old hag, and no longer a young, blonde woman 👱‍♀️ haha haha.
You're certainly not an old hag.

love_comes_softly

Feb 13, 2019
Wait, you have to pay a dollar to participate in casual Friday? One, that sounds like a scam. Two, to whom is that money going? :p

And yes, sweatpants rock.
"Dear, you are not going with me to town wearing sweatpants."
"Why not?"
"What will people think?"
"They'll think 'I wish I was as comfortable as that guy.'"

Yes, we do have to pay a dollar. The money goes to the "sunshine" fund, which is used when a staff member is sick or something happens in their family, basically used to give gifts to the staff for a variety of reasons.

Sep 13, 2018
No, we're not talking about castigation. It's a pun title for a thread about what clothes you wear.

What do you prefer to wear? Do you like bright colors? Neutral colors? Whites? Do you pull an Ian Malcolm and wear all black and grey?

Are there any social criteria that determine how you dress? Does your profession or gender require you to dress a certain way in your culture?

What about age? Somebody I know said the following:

Does this happen where you live? Does your culture expect people above OR below a certain age to dress a certain way that is different from people on the other side of that age line?

What would you wear if you didn't have to meet any social criteria for dress? Would you wear jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops all the time? Well... as long as it wasn't too cold for it anyway. Would you dress up just because you like to?

I let my beard grow...

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
So, If you (Lynx) were to pull an Isaiah you'd be ok as long as you had a tie on..........................................right?:unsure:
Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this otherwise my screen would be watered....from me laughing...

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
My first choice would be nothing since I'm retired why bother, but since I do have to it is a tank top and shorts in the house, I will put on slacks with the tank top and flip flops to go shopping. We are in Florida where it is hot most of the year with a two to three month relief in December, January and February....

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
The new church I go too I introduced myself while wearing a Goosebumps hat a Dragon Ball Z t-shirt and a bunch of cute anime characters hanging from my Legend of Zelda wallet....its safe to say I stand out there :p I felt a little awkward at first tbh.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
So... you were a walking billboard? :p

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
So, If you (Lynx) were to pull an Isaiah you'd be ok as long as you had a tie on..........................................right?:unsure:
I go the same way Wendel Bagwell did when he was at the snake handling church. If God told me to, I surely would. But he hasn't, and I ain't.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
So... you were a walking billboard? :p
I guess lol I'm used to dressing for nerd hangouts and nerd bling makes easy conversation starters. I get social anxiety sometimes so it makes it easy to strike up a conversation lol

Feb 28, 2016
all I can say is, I have been through several 'decades' of 'dressing down' style to be 'cool' -
after 'Conversion', Jesus showed me that those concepts are nothing more than Solomon's
(vanity of vanities) ...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yep, there's no topic so mundane that you can't add a truckload of condemnation to it.

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
For casual wear, I tend to go with a black t-shirt and dark blue jeans (no fading...) I rarely deviate from this, save when hot summer days warrant wearing shorts. It's so generic. I'm not sure if the people at work have noticed that I've worn the same outfit every day for years.

For something more formal, I go with a black suit jacket, white dress shirt, and a dark solid colour tie (I have dark red/blue/green/purple/burgundy/black). Typically with shined boots (hence the picture).

I briefly worked in a more formal environment (the Canadian parliament) and got a dressing down when I wore grey socks with black pants. That was back when the Conservative government was in. Nowadays it just seems like the PM wears pink socks. Shameful! ;)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For casual wear, I tend to go with a black t-shirt and dark blue jeans (no fading...) I rarely deviate from this, save when hot summer days warrant wearing shorts. It's so generic. I'm not sure if the people at work have noticed that I've worn the same outfit every day for years.
"I love wearing black shirts
Wearing them with dark Levis
Jump in my convertible
Kick it into overdrive
I love good times with good friends
Turning up my stereo
Dinner with my family
And watching the late late show"

~ Kim Hill
"Black Shirts"

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
A blend between comfiness and utility with a smidge of style ;)

I have long hair so things have been a bit different. I don't like hats, but I will wear a bandana although I didn't ever use to wear them except when cutting grass. This is my first time with long hair, don't know how females deal with it all their life but that's another discussion ha.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
This is my first time with long hair, don't know how females deal with it all their life but that's another discussion ha.
Mostly with ponytails, from what I can tell.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Mostly with ponytails, from what I can tell.
Well they look goofy on men to me. Quite cute on females.

A small hair tie could look elegant in the right circumstances but it'd have to be pretty posh.

Sep 13, 2018
No, we're not talking about castigation. It's a pun title for a thread about what clothes you wear.

What do you prefer to wear? Do you like bright colors? Neutral colors? Whites? Do you pull an Ian Malcolm and wear all black and grey?

Are there any social criteria that determine how you dress? Does your profession or gender require you to dress a certain way in your culture?

What about age? Somebody I know said the following:

Does this happen where you live? Does your culture expect people above OR below a certain age to dress a certain way that is different from people on the other side of that age line?

What would you wear if you didn't have to meet any social criteria for dress? Would you wear jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops all the time? Well... as long as it wasn't too cold for it anyway. Would you dress up just because you like to?

I think I care more how clothes fit than what color they are. When at work I wear white shirts. I think the tie makes the difference. coordinated with the color of pants. Away from work. shorts in the summer. jeans in the winter..

K

kaylagrl

Oh my land, hilarious... er, the tie thing I mean. :p