Sex before marriage: a poll

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What are your opinions on sex before marriage?

• It is a sin and we should abstain

Votes: 38 88.4%
  • It is okay, God will forgive us. Besides, a man/woman has needs you know!

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • It's a normal part of modern dating, everybody does it

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
S

selfdissolving

Trying to get a snapshot of the modern Church view on sex before marriage. Please feel free to elaborate!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I don't even need the Bible or prayer for this one. All I have to do is look at the examples all around me. It creates a whole crapload of drama that I don't want to put up with. I'm a great believer in learning from the mistakes of others.

All the things the Bible designates as "sin" are so labeled for a reason. If you avoid those things you will have a better life. Not "might," not "if you're lucky," you WILL have a better life without the things labeled "sin." So far I've had a pretty good life.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
I feel like it's a really good way to get yourself stuck permanently to someone you never intended to be stuck to. All it takes is one time ..with or without protection and you could get pregnant then you are tied to that person even if you choose not to continue a relationship with them.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I feel like it's a really good way to get yourself stuck permanently to someone you never intended to be stuck to. All it takes is one time ..with or without protection and you could get pregnant then you are tied to that person even if you choose not to continue a relationship with them.
The number of women, my age, with multiple children, from multiple men, is astonishing.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For some reason I'm reminded of what a former government leader said about avoiding entangling alliances...

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I had to laugh at option 2

""" It is okay, God will forgive us """

If it was okay then why would God need to forgive us for doing it???
If it was okay then we would not need to be forgiven by God for doing it.. :giggle:

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
the modern church view? You’ll have your “it’s ok” crowd. You’ll have the “sex is bad!!!” crowd. You’ll have the crowd that talks about it too much. You’ll have the crowd that has it as a taboo subject.

What does God say though?

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Everyone knows what the bible says.

This is really a poll of what people think.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Everyone knows what the bible says.

This is really a poll of what people think.
Yup.

And what I think is, it's not worth all the crap and drama it creates. I've seen a lot of people try to get away with it without having to deal with all the junk it creates, but I have never seen anybody get out unscathed.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Boaz and Ruth slept together before they were married and their story had a happy ending. Apparently, she deduced him at the urging of her mother-in-law but he didn't complain one bit. Very interesting dynamic between the two of them.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
"You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals, let's do it like they do on the discovery channel."

This thread reminds me of that song.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Boaz and Ruth slept together before they were married and their story had a happy ending. Apparently, she deduced him at the urging of her mother-in-law but he didn't complain one bit. Very interesting dynamic between the two of them.
I don't think all is lost if it happens.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I don't think all is lost if it happens.
Tommy, based on my own personal experiences I don't believe all is lost either if it happens. First wife was horrible though but I consider that to be an anomaly of some sort.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Tommy, based on my own personal experiences I don't believe all is lost either if it happens. First wife was horrible though but I consider that to be an anomaly of some sort.
If I was serious about a woman, I probably would. I'm at an age, and the women who would want me, are about the same, that it wouldn't matter.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
If I was serious about a woman, I probably would. I'm at an age, and the women who would want me, are about the same, that it wouldn't matter.
I admire your honesty, but vehemently disagree with the idea that once we get to a certain age disobeying God's commands doesn't matter anymore. God didn't put an age limit on sexual immorality and there's a reason why (I'm not entirely sure I know the reason, but I'm completely sure I don't want to learn the reason though painful experience).

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
The problem is not sex but marriage. What is marriage? Marriage is not what many think.

Marriage as per God is on the basis of "..when two or three agree, God is in their midst (as a witness)..." And specifically when a man is bound to a woman through love, when the two agree to be together. Marriage is not a wedding- weddings are traditions of men that is mostly applied in place of God's law and are generally evil in this end times.

A boyfriend and a girlfriend are already married as long as they agree to be together and consummate their marriage with sex. This makes your poll null and void because your idea of marriage is different from what God has said. Garden of Eden is a perfect example of marriage and was overseen by God. So, a marriage is overseen by God only; the reason God says "...let no man separate what God has joined..."

Therefore:
1. Breaking up with a girlfriend or boyfriend is divorce
2. Weddings and marriage certificates or divorce certificates do not mean anything positive spiritually but only serve to fulfill the law of the land (statutory). But let's be careful even as we give Caesar what belongs to him lest we forget God because weddings have become an oath taking/promise making ceremonies yet we have no control of the future. Jesus said it is evil.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I admire your honesty, but vehemently disagree with the idea that once we get to a certain age disobeying God's commands doesn't matter anymore. God didn't put an age limit on sexual immorality and there's a reason why (I'm not entirely sure I know the reason, but I'm completely sure I don't want to learn the reason though painful experience).
It wouldn't matter to me. I'm sure God has some concern.

I'm 39, divorced, and have two offspring.

It just doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
It wouldn't matter to me. I'm sure God has some concern.

I'm 39, divorced, and have two offspring.

It just doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.
Like I said, I admire your honesty because it does take courage. I still disagree with your opinion, though I wonder if I'd been through your experiences how exactly those would shape my own opinion.