Should a Christian celebrate christmas or easter?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
The pagan holidays were replaced by Christian feasts and festivals about 1700 years ago. Today almost nobody sees Christmas day and Easter Sunday as pagan festivals. While Constantine should not have substituted pagan holidays to "Christianize" them the fact remains that both Christmas and Easter can be used very effectively to reach the unsaved with the Gospel. And that is really what matters. Paul quoted a pagan unbeliever in Scripture to prove a point. Did that make it wrong? At the same time you have the liberty to disregard all such holidays if they bother you. God has given you that liberty.
yes, studies show that Christmas and Easter are very big in non, unsure, or weak believers going to a church service , where ( hopefully_ they will hear the Gospel, and believe it.

CS1

May 23, 2012
yes

Mosie

May 30, 2022
Given your reply, I don't believe you "heard" what I said.
I think you said it doesn't matter for a Christian to celebrate a pagan holiday and think God doesn't mind. I think He does.

Mosie

May 30, 2022
The pagan holidays were replaced by Christian feasts and festivals about 1700 years ago. Today almost nobody sees Christmas day and Easter Sunday as pagan festivals. While Constantine should not have substituted pagan holidays to "Christianize" them the fact remains that both Christmas and Easter can be used very effectively to reach the unsaved with the Gospel. And that is really what matters. Paul quoted a pagan unbeliever in Scripture to prove a point. Did that make it wrong? At the same time you have the liberty to disregard all such holidays if they bother you. God has given you that liberty.
I respectfully disagree. Easter is pagan. Christmas is pagan. I don't care about that' almost nobody see's Christmas day and Easter Sunday as pagan'....broad is the road that leads to destruction and narrow is the way to everlasting life.

We are to live our lives based on the Bible, not 'what most people believe or do or tradition'.

Mosie

May 30, 2022
If a Christian wants to celebrate Jesus' birth, death or resurrection, they should celebrate them truthfully and accurately. Not on blatantly false dates that were only chosen to coincide with worshipping other gods. A Christian should care about worshipping God in spirit and in truth instead of according to the traditions of men.
Amen, I agree

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
Dalton, I'm not a psychiatrist but I think you've finally got all four wheels off the road.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I know about the days of the week, but have not heard that wedding rings are pagan...very interested. I think we all are on a personal journey.."working out our salvation with fear and trembling'..meaning..when you are growing and walking the the Lord, as you become more mature in your Faith...God calls us to give up those areas of compromise....any thoughts?
For example, secular movies and music I used to listen too....If I sense it offends God, then I won't listen to it.
I think that's a non answer. I think for a person to be so passionate about such a concept they should be consistent.
I suppose I'd be less staunch if it were simply a matter of their personal belief and conviction and left at that, but no. It's always a belief they push on others and any who disagree are basically labeled as engaging in paganism and not caring that they do so. Which of course, leads to judgements about the quality of their walk and faith.
In 10 years I've yet to see anything different.

The movie concept further promotes this idea. Watching a standard Hollywood movie supports an entire industry that revels in and promotes immorality and anti-God sentiment, not to mention, currently, wokeism. That non-offensive movie is still going to help in funding those movies you do find offensive. Why's that more acceptable than people that focus on God and family on Dec 25th?

Mosie

May 30, 2022
I think that's a non answer. I think for a person to be so passionate about such a concept they should be consistent.
I suppose I'd be less staunch if it were simply a matter of their personal belief and conviction and left at that, but no. It's always a belief they push on others and any who disagree are basically labeled as engaging in paganism and not caring that they do so. Which of course, leads to judgements about the quality of their walk and faith.
In 10 years I've yet to see anything different.

The movie concept further promotes this idea. Watching a standard Hollywood movie supports an entire industry that revels in and promotes immorality and anti-God sentiment, not to mention, currently, wokeism. That non-offensive movie is still going to help in funding those movies you do find offensive. Why's that more acceptable than people that focus on God and family on Dec 25th?
I'm by no means 'pushing' my beliefs and values on your or anyone. The Bible says we all have to work out our whole salvation with Fear and trembling..it's a personal journey...I'm talking about my relationship and walk with the Lord. Yours might be different.
I'm not judging anyone nor have I said I do so if they celebrate Christmas and Easter. I just merely stated the fact that they are pagan holidays not Biblical Feasts.

You said something about 'being consistent' ...I'm not sure what you are referring too?

The reason it goes beyond personal belief is the historical pagan roots of those holidays...Since I did the research myself I can not "Unsee or un learn it'....

Jun 20, 2022
Oddly enough, at times, when it's impossible to get family members to gather together to honor God in the confides of a real Church setting, you can get them to gather around a decorated tree.

I use many times what's meant for evil to be used for God. Pagan Holidays allow opportunities other times just don't.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I think you said it doesn't matter for a Christian to celebrate a pagan holiday and think God doesn't mind. I think He does.
Christmas is not a Pagan holiday, LOL. It is a Church Tradition and part of the Advent season. FYI Christ -Mass is a date created to combat Pagenism and bring attention to the Birth of our Lord as the Word of God says. Every year, we get atheists, Legalitic types, and Hypocrites.
Who will come on CC and Lambast Christmas? But they have gifts under the tree. We know it, and God knows it.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Do you, as a Christian, celebrate christmas or easter and what do you think of it?

Christmas
Fact #1
The Bible never mentions the word "christmas", neither does it ask us to celebrate something on December 25th.

Fact #2
"But I only celebrate it to honor Him..." The only way to remember Jesus is the way He asked us, of course:

And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
- 1 Cor 11:24-26

Fact #3
December 25th used to be the day on which the sun god was worshiped in the Roman empire. It was not the date of birth of Christ.

Easter
Fact #1
The Bible never mentions the word "easter", neither does it ask us to celebrate something on the first Sunday after the first full moon of spring.

Fact #2
The word "easter" in Acts 12:4 is transliterated from the Greek word for Pasha. The word "easter" is derived from "eostre/eastre" of the Babylonian pagans.

Fact #3
If we should be celebrating a specific feast, God would have definitely put it in His Word to make sure. After all, all the feasts the Jews celebrate each year are found in the Bible. They are: 1. Passover, 2. Unleavened bread, 3. Firstfruits, 4. Pentecost, 5. Feast of trumpets, 6. Day of atonement, 7. Feast of tabernacles.

Yet, we can't find a verse that states:
"Behold! The Lord thy God hath made thee an appointed time to remember the lamb which was slain for mankind; it shall be at the twelfth month and on the twenty fifth day of the month that ye shall have a feast and on it ye shall eat, and ye shall drink, and ye shall take a tree for thy house and shall put it there as an ornament. This hath the Lord of hosts spoken, and ye shall do it as I am the Lord thy God."

Both christmas as well as easter have no origin in the Bible, neither did the first apostles celebrate these feasts.
Do you celebrate them and what are your thoughts on it?

No hate comments please! Show me where I have stated something that is a lie. Show me where it says in the Bible we should celebrate christmas or easter the way many Christians do.
Many things the Bible doesn't mention, yet we know it is wrong or Praiseworthy to do.

The idea that the Bible must "say" the word "Christmas" is about as intelligent a saying as Jesus Never ate meat because its not there or had to relieve himself.

Mosie

May 30, 2022
Christmas is not a Pagan holiday, LOL. It is a Church Tradition and part of the Advent season. FYI Christ -Mass is a date created to combat Pagenism and bring attention to the Birth of our Lord as the Word of God says. Every year, we get atheists, Legalitic types, and Hypocrites.
Who will come on CC and Lambast Christmas? But they have gifts under the tree. We know it, and God knows it.
I hear what you are saying, I don't put up a tree or 'have gifts' under the tree....Believe me, I used to be totally into it...past couple of years..not at all. It's a personal decision, I'm just sharing my personal journey.

"Christmas is not a Pagan holiday, LOL. It is a Church Tradition and part of the Advent season. FYI Christ -Mass is a date created to combat Pagenism and bring attention to the Birth of our Lord as the Word of God says. Every year, we get atheists, Legalitic types, and Hypocrites."

Response to above: perhaps, with all respect, do some research on Dec. 25th. Celebrating Christ's birth on Dec 25 IS Pagan.
You said it yourself...part of church tradition and part of Advent season...not biblically based nor is it a feast we are to celebrate in the Bible.

You have to live your life as God leads you....no judgement from me.

Mosie

May 30, 2022
Do you, as a Christian, celebrate christmas or easter and what do you think of it?

Christmas
Fact #1
The Bible never mentions the word "christmas", neither does it ask us to celebrate something on December 25th.

Fact #2
"But I only celebrate it to honor Him..." The only way to remember Jesus is the way He asked us, of course:

And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
- 1 Cor 11:24-26

Fact #3
December 25th used to be the day on which the sun god was worshiped in the Roman empire. It was not the date of birth of Christ.

Easter
Fact #1
The Bible never mentions the word "easter", neither does it ask us to celebrate something on the first Sunday after the first full moon of spring.

Fact #2
The word "easter" in Acts 12:4 is transliterated from the Greek word for Pasha. The word "easter" is derived from "eostre/eastre" of the Babylonian pagans.

Fact #3
If we should be celebrating a specific feast, God would have definitely put it in His Word to make sure. After all, all the feasts the Jews celebrate each year are found in the Bible. They are: 1. Passover, 2. Unleavened bread, 3. Firstfruits, 4. Pentecost, 5. Feast of trumpets, 6. Day of atonement, 7. Feast of tabernacles.

Yet, we can't find a verse that states:
"Behold! The Lord thy God hath made thee an appointed time to remember the lamb which was slain for mankind; it shall be at the twelfth month and on the twenty fifth day of the month that ye shall have a feast and on it ye shall eat, and ye shall drink, and ye shall take a tree for thy house and shall put it there as an ornament. This hath the Lord of hosts spoken, and ye shall do it as I am the Lord thy God."

Both christmas as well as easter have no origin in the Bible, neither did the first apostles celebrate these feasts.
Do you celebrate them and what are your thoughts on it?

No hate comments please! Show me where I have stated something that is a lie. Show me where it says in the Bible we should celebrate christmas or easter the way many Christians do.

Don't celebrate Christmas or Easter....
Thank you for your comments...
Looks like people on here don't want to bother to do any of their own prayer and soul searching and research on the subject. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. God Bless!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I respectfully disagree. Easter is pagan. Christmas is pagan. I don't care about that' almost nobody see's Christmas day and Easter Sunday as pagan'....broad is the road that leads to destruction and narrow is the way to everlasting life.

We are to live our lives based on the Bible, not 'what most people believe or do or tradition'.
Okay... so is the incarnation pagan? Are the crucifixion and resurrection pagan?

What, precisely, do you think Christians are celebrating during "Christmas" and "Easter"?

CS1

May 23, 2012
I hear what you are saying, I don't put up a tree or 'have gifts' under the tree....Believe me, I used to be totally into it...past couple of years..not at all. It's a personal decision, I'm just sharing my personal journey.

"Christmas is not a Pagan holiday, LOL. It is a Church Tradition and part of the Advent season. FYI Christ -Mass is a date created to combat Pagenism and bring attention to the Birth of our Lord as the Word of God says. Every year, we get atheists, Legalitic types, and Hypocrites."

Response to above: perhaps, with all respect, do some research on Dec. 25th. Celebrating Christ's birth on Dec 25 IS Pagan.
You said it yourself...part of church tradition and part of Advent season...not biblically based nor is it a feast we are to celebrate in the Bible.

I have done extensive research of
"Christmas."

The truth is No one knows the day or month Jesus was Born. We do not have it. The Earlier Church Com

I have researched "Christmas "much. And many of us here at CC have addressed it. Every year about this time :).

The origins of Christmas lie in an Egyptian festival on 6 January, which spread to much of the Christian world as a celebration of the birth and/or baptism of Christ and known as the Epiphany or Theophany.

The church in Egypt " Christian church " was established in 42 AD. Alexandria. The Pagan influence came much later but was not the origin of the "Churches " celebration at its founding. 200 AD and Clement was apart of that.

December 25th was a date taken up much later than 42 AD and was done to combat paganism.

MichaelZ

Jun 11, 2023
Going to celebrate Christmas at a nursing home in a few weeks with some folks from our church. Will bring them small gifts, play and sing some Christian Christmas carols and music, and do a devotional concerning the birth of Christ. I don't think there is anything pagan about what we will be doing that day! It is just taking advantage of the opportunity afforded by the holiday and celebrating the birth of Christ.