Should a Christian get a Tattoo?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Prognostic

Jan 5, 2018

What about if it's to cover up an old tattoo they got before they was a Christian? A tramp stamp even.

What about if it's to signify your faith or something? As a kind of symbol and reminder of your faith if you will.

I have an old tramp stamp on my left arm from when I was about 15 years old that I have forever regretted!

But I've never really been into tattoos that much (I like them, just more on other people than on me).

Besides, I've always believed that the body is a temple for the Holy Spirit and shouldn't be "defiled" or "marked" in any way.

But then that doesn't mean that I would be less of a Christian or lose my salvation because of it.

I was just thinking of getting something to cover up this ridiculous thing on my arm with something subtle like. Nothing majorly big anyway.

Would love to get people's feedback on this and hear what the majority has to say on the matter.

Cheers!

U

UnderGrace

What about if it's to cover up an old tattoo they got before they was a Christian? A tramp stamp even.

What about if it's to signify your faith or something? As a kind of symbol and reminder of your faith if you will.

I have an old tramp stamp on my left arm from when I was about 15 years old that I have forever regretted!

But I've never really been into tattoos that much (I like them, just more on other people than on me).

Besides, I've always believed that the body is a temple for the Holy Spirit and shouldn't be "defiled" or "marked" in any way.

But then that doesn't mean that I would be less of a Christian or lose my salvation because of it.

I was just thinking of getting something to cover up this ridiculous thing on my arm with something subtle like. Nothing majorly big anyway.

Would love to get people's feedback on this and hear what the majority has to say on the matter.

Cheers!
What is an old tramp stamp?

R

Rasputin_OZ

we under no law so if you feel it wrong , repent and say sorry , you forgiven.

if it distasteful tattoo, get it covered for decency sake again say sorry to god.

if it a rose or something else , live with it,

we are under no law, we are to do all things for the glory of god

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
no but if youre late just pray.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

Cheers!
There is no sin in tattoos. It is not defiling flesh. The OT scriptures often used to claim it is must be taken out of their original context to use it against tattoos.

PS a tramp stamp is on the lower back. If it's on your arm it's not a tramp stamp.

Sep 13, 2018

Cheers!

I thought that tramp stamps were on the lower back. Not so...

R

Rasputin_OZ

Tramp Stamp - a tattoo on a woman's lower back.

Dooms

Feb 8, 2018
No. The one I have (from my days of youthful disgrace) I consider a reminder that I am a recovering sinner. Just in case I get the urge to look down my nose at my brother.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
Can you just have it removed? They do that now, right?

K

Karraster

I think of tattoos as I do graffiti on a beautiful structure, David said: Psalms 139:14 - I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvellous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well.

When I consider how miraculous and beautiful is the human form, to ink it seems atrocious to me. Our Creator says: "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am Yahweh." Lev 19:28

Some say Leviticus is ancient and no longer valid. I say, Oh really? Where did Jesus say that?

According to what I've read about it tats can pose a health risk, and depending on the ingredients of the ink can leach toxic junk into your system from now on. My thoughts on the subject are probably in the minority on CC. Ultimately, you have to decide and as you know, live with from now on. Last but not least, when we repent and turn from our sins He is faithful to forgive, of that I know well.

R

Rasputin_OZ

I think of tattoos as I do graffiti on a beautiful structure, David said: Psalms 139:14 - I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [and] wonderfully made: marvellous [are] thy works; and [that] my soul knoweth right well.

When I consider how miraculous and beautiful is the human form, to ink it seems atrocious to me. Our Creator says: "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am Yahweh." Lev 19:28

Some say Leviticus is ancient and no longer valid. I say, Oh really? Where did Jesus say that?

According to what I've read about it tats can pose a health risk, and depending on the ingredients of the ink can leach toxic junk into your system from now on. My thoughts on the subject are probably in the minority on CC. Ultimately, you have to decide and as you know, live with from now on. Last but not least, when we repent and turn from our sins He is faithful to forgive, of that I know well.
Paul said we no longer under the law....

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Cheers!
Trump stamp? No sin in that.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Never....ever....get a tattoo.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Paul said we no longer under the law....
Based off what?

Jesus is the fulfillment of the law...he didn't say it has been abolished. This is rather clear but somehow gets forgotten often.

As to Tattoos it can go a long way to open up a dialogue with a stranger when you ask them about their ink or show an interest.

Leviticus is clear enough to me. Same goes with cross dressing...that's also not in the NT but in the OT, and drinking blood ;)

I've known some well respected christians who let their children get tattoos and it's all just rather confusing. Am I being judgemental or legalistic? I don't think so. It seems clear.

What's unclear is how most believers see it. The only encouragement I've given people is to tattoo a scripture reference to your favorite scripture if you aren't going to take no for an answer. Binding his word around you in a sense.

I personally thought about getting Job 31:1 around my wrist, but it just didn't ever feel right. Practical? Sure, but I just wasn't ever able to do it.

I look at my skin closely in those moments and I'm like...WOW.

It could just be it's not my thing but there are other things in leviticus I've been super curious about doing only to not do them because they are there. May be a minority opinion but there you go.

It's not about following everything in the law for me...it's about doing my best to agree with the word. I fall short certainly and am not trying to live under the law anymore (in a save yourself fashion) but if it's spelled out for me I can't just not give it serious thought.

R

Rasputin_OZ

Based off what?

Jesus is the fulfillment of the law...he didn't say it has been abolished. This is rather clear but somehow gets forgotten often.

As to Tattoos it can go a long way to open up a dialogue with a stranger when you ask them about their ink or show an interest.

Leviticus is clear enough to me. Same goes with cross dressing...that's also not in the NT but in the OT, and drinking blood ;)

I've known some well respected christians who let their children get tattoos and it's all just rather confusing. Am I being judgemental or legalistic? I don't think so. It seems clear.

What's unclear is how most believers see it. The only encouragement I've given people is to tattoo a scripture reference to your favorite scripture if you aren't going to take no for an answer. Binding his word around you in a sense.

I personally thought about getting Job 31:1 around my wrist, but it just didn't ever feel right. Practical? Sure, but I just wasn't ever able to do it.

I look at my skin closely in those moments and I'm like...WOW.

It could just be it's not my thing but there are other things in leviticus I've been super curious about doing only to not do them because they are there. May be a minority opinion but there you go.

It's not about following everything in the law for me...it's about doing my best to agree with the word. I fall short certainly and am not trying to live under the law anymore (in a save yourself fashion) but if it's spelled out for me I can't just not give it serious thought.
Romans 6:14

Yes JEsus fulfilled the law by dieign for our sins and offeing us grace.

R

Rasputin_OZ

Yet Jesus said He did not render the law moot...
correct there was a price to pay and He paid it …

Continues to pay it for all our sin