Should a Christian tithe, what does the Bible say

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You can use the Bible to say whatever you want it to say. This guy has his opinion on what it all means and others have their opinion and there are so many different opinions that it leaves a person confused.
The teaching from your pastor tells you one thing, and you accept that as truth without confirming it in Scripture, while rejecting the consideration of anything that doesn't agree with him. That's not wise. Even Paul's preaching was compared against Scripture by the Bereans in Acts 17:11, and they were commended for it.

The only thing left to do is obey what God puts on your heart, but you must be a saved person to even know what Gods will for you. So it becomes something between you and God, and nobody else should know how much you give.
While I agree that giving should be done in secret, there are still two problems with these statements. First, you have made several unfounded accusations regarding others and how they give (or in your opinion, how they don't give) without knowing how much they give or how much they make. So you are in error. Second, if you don't know the Scripture and you are following "what God puts on your heart", it is very likely that you will be deceived. God gave us His word to be our standard and guide, so if the guidance on your heart doesn't line up with the full counsel of Scripture, you should not follow it.

I personally believe tithing is just a basic standard, we should give more than just 10% since God gave us everything we have we should give back generously to Him. I don't like folks here saying that my money is going to my pastor, that's false. My money goes to the Lord and the Lord gives some to my pastor so he can live a decent life.
You can believe what you like, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. I do agree that financial contributions go to the Lord, but I start to wonder where the pastor's heart is if he's not preaching sound doctrine.

The pastor is appointed by God to shepherd us sheep, he knows Gods word better than all of these sheep here who are self appointed authorities on the Bible. God only reveal the truth of the Bible to certain people and He deliberately confuses others who think they are smart.
You have no idea just how smart others are until you interact with them extensively. Disagreeing with you doesn't make anyone "not smart". Disagreeing with your pastor's view on tithing doesn't either. You seem to have put your pastor on a pedestal; that's idolatry. I'm sure he's reasonably intelligent, but he can still be wrong.

You're overlooking one important point: God confounds the wise... of the world, not of His kingdom! He makes His servants wise. Most of those here who disagree with you are Christians, not the unsaved.

Our pastor encourages all of us to study our Bible to make sure that what he preaches is exactly what the Bible says.
So do it, and don't be satisfied that the verses he quotes are actually in the Bible. That's only the first step. You need to consider the main principles of Scripture, like there being two distinct covenants; one of faith and one of law. You're trying to walk the Christian life with one foot in each.

But at the end of the day, we are the sheep and He is the shepherd, that's the way God has ordained the NT Church. We need to be careful of people who make themselves some kind of authority on scripture, God only gives that privileged to those who serve as shepherds.
That is not supported by Scripture... at all. A great many people who have spent their lives studying the Word are not "shepherds". Nobody here is claiming to be an authority on Scripture; we're just telling you that your position is wrong. It doesn't take an authority to do that.

Satan and His Demons know the scriptures better than anyone here, but it does them no good. It actually brings them more damnation, just as it does to those who know the Bible yet are not true people of God.
Your veiled condemnation of those who disagree with you is inconsistent with your claim to be a Christian.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
I agree with almost all you say, except for the pastors knowing more than anyone here. Some may and some may not and some may have a gift of understanding or not. People here can have the same, or better knowledge and some may have the same or better understanding.
I believe God is sovereign over all things, including appointing a good shepherd to lead his flock. I also believe that God punishes congregations with a false teacher when they rebel against God and seek after doctrines of Demons.
Paul told us that the time would come when men wouldn't receive sound doctrine, they would have itching ears believing false teachers so that's Gods judgement on rebellious people.
But He has always had a true Church where His people can worship Him in Spirit and Truth. He brings His people together from all walks of life and the gates of hell shall not prevail against His Church

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
The teaching from your pastor tells you one thing, and you accept that as truth without confirming it in Scripture, while rejecting the consideration of anything that doesn't agree with him. That's not wise. Even Paul's preaching was compared against Scripture by the Bereans in Acts 17:11, and they were commended for it.

While I agree that giving should be done in secret, there are still two problems with these statements. First, you have made several unfounded accusations regarding others and how they give (or in your opinion, how they don't give) without knowing how much they give or how much they make. So you are in error. Second, if you don't know the Scripture and you are following "what God puts on your heart", it is very likely that you will be deceived. God gave us His word to be our standard and guide, so if the guidance on your heart doesn't line up with the full counsel of Scripture, you should not follow it.

You can believe what you like, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. I do agree that financial contributions go to the Lord, but I start to wonder where the pastor's heart is if he's not preaching sound doctrine.

You have no idea just how smart others are until you interact with them extensively. Disagreeing with you doesn't make anyone "not smart". Disagreeing with your pastor's view on tithing doesn't either. You seem to have put your pastor on a pedestal; that's idolatry. I'm sure he's reasonably intelligent, but he can still be wrong.

You're overlooking one important point: God confounds the wise... of the world, not of His kingdom! He makes His servants wise. Most of those here who disagree with you are Christians, not the unsaved.

So do it, and don't be satisfied that the verses he quotes are actually in the Bible. That's only the first step. You need to consider the main principles of Scripture, like there being two distinct covenants; one of faith and one of law. You're trying to walk the Christian life with one foot in each.

That is not supported by Scripture... at all. A great many people who have spent their lives studying the Word are not "shepherds". Nobody here is claiming to be an authority on Scripture; we're just telling you that your position is wrong. It doesn't take an authority to do that.

Your veiled condemnation of those who disagree with you is inconsistent with your claim to be a Christian.
Everyone one seems to have their own opinion on what the scriptures mean, let every man be a liar and let God be true.

God didn't lead me to my Church by accident, it was an answer to prayer. I've been to so many Churches that I couldn't count them, it took a long time to find a faithful Bible believing Church.

My pastor told me that my knowledge of scripture is irrelevant to my salvation, all I need to be save is the gift of salvation which God freely gives to His elect. Jesus didn't say those who know the Bible best will be saved, that's just foolish pride and God is no respecter of smart people.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Everyone one seems to have their own opinion on what the scriptures mean, let every man be a liar and let God be true.
With respect, I encourage you to apply that to your pastor as well. Not that I'm calling him a liar, but I do firmly believe he is wrong on this matter.

God didn't lead me to my Church by accident, it was an answer to prayer. I've been to so many Churches that I couldn't count them, it took a long time to find a faithful Bible believing Church.

My pastor told me that my knowledge of scripture is irrelevant to my salvation, all I need to be save is the gift of salvation which God freely gives to His elect. Jesus didn't say those who know the Bible best will be saved, that's just foolish pride and God is no respecter of smart people.
Your knowledge of Scripture is irrelevant to salvation, but very important for your growth. Now that you are a believer, it is incumbent upon you to learn what the Scripture teaches about the Christian life. An ignorant pagan may be given grace for not knowing the Scripture; you have easy access to the truth. Refusing to learn it is no credit to you.

I can understand your confusion and your desire to follow your pastor; every new Christian needs someone they can follow for the first while. However, following blindly will lead you into his error.

You have been told the truth about tithing by quite a few people here, and I strongly suspect that every single one of them has your best interests at heart. We desire that you be free in Christ, not a slave to a warped amalgam of old and new covenant teachings.

By all means, give generously to your local church. But please, seriously and carefully consider the material presented to you here. Tithing and giving are simply not the same thing; tithing is an old covenant requirement, not a new covenant teaching.

Two final questions for you to consider: if tithing is so important, why wasn't it listed in Acts 15? Why didn't any of the apostles clearly teach it? By the way, "everyone just knew it" is the wrong answer.

Mar 23, 2016
Our pastor encourages all of us to study our Bible to make sure that what he preaches is exactly what the Bible says. But at the end of the day, we are the sheep and He is the shepherd, that's the way God has ordained the NT Church. We need to be careful of people who make themselves some kind of authority on scripture, God only gives that privileged to those who serve as shepherds.
My understanding is that there is One Shepherd — the Lord Jesus Christ [capital "S" Shepherd].

And He, as Head of His body gives gifts of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors [lower case "s" shepherd] and teachers for the purpose of equipping the members of the body of Christ with what is needed for the work of the ministry in order to build up the body of Christ.

We are to no longer be children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine by those who are cunning and who use trickery in their attempts to deceive. We are to speak the truth in love and in all things we are to grow up into Him (the Head — the Lord Jesus Christ).

It is from the Lord Jesus Christ that the whole body is fitly joined together, every joint supplying according to the effectual working in the measure of every part to the end that the body increases and is built up in love.

Ephesians 4:

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

7seasrekeyed

My understanding is that there is One Shepherd — the Lord Jesus Christ [capital "S" Shepherd].

And He, as Head of His body gives gifts of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors [lower case "s" shepherd] and teachers for the purpose of equipping the members of the body of Christ with what is needed for the work of the ministry in order to build up the body of Christ.

We are to no longer be children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine by those who are cunning and who use trickery in their attempts to deceive. We are to speak the truth in love and in all things we are to grow up into Him (the Head — the Lord Jesus Christ).

It is from the Lord Jesus Christ that the whole body is fitly joined together, every joint supplying according to the effectual working in the measure of every part to the end that the body increases and is built up in love.

Ephesians 4:

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Amen

and thank you

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
With respect, I encourage you to apply that to your pastor as well. Not that I'm calling him a liar, but I do firmly believe he is wrong on this matter.

Your knowledge of Scripture is irrelevant to salvation, but very important for your growth. Now that you are a believer, it is incumbent upon you to learn what the Scripture teaches about the Christian life. An ignorant pagan may be given grace for not knowing the Scripture; you have easy access to the truth. Refusing to learn it is no credit to you.

I can understand your confusion and your desire to follow your pastor; every new Christian needs someone they can follow for the first while. However, following blindly will lead you into his error.

You have been told the truth about tithing by quite a few people here, and I strongly suspect that every single one of them has your best interests at heart. We desire that you be free in Christ, not a slave to a warped amalgam of old and new covenant teachings.

By all means, give generously to your local church. But please, seriously and carefully consider the material presented to you here. Tithing and giving are simply not the same thing; tithing is an old covenant requirement, not a new covenant teaching.

Two final questions for you to consider: if tithing is so important, why wasn't it listed in Acts 15? Why didn't any of the apostles clearly teach it? By the way, "everyone just knew it" is the wrong answer.
The gift of rightly discerning scripture is only given by God to certain people, such as the shepherds. The rest of us sheep including yourself don't have that gift, that's why God appointed shepherds to lead the flock of sheep.

The problem arises when the sheep try to assume their own authority, and they are quickly get lost in their own carnal wisdom. The ability to recite scriptures is useless unless you have the gift of rightly discerning them.

That's why we have so many denominations, cults and sects all using the same Bible and preaching all kinds of false doctrines and all claiming that their view is the only correct one. Our pastor has spoken about apostates, at length and he told us what to watch out for.

Jun 29, 2018
I recently heard a sermon on tithing at a Reformed Baptist Church, where I have applied for membership.
The pastor made it clear that we are all to tithe because that's what God wants us to do. He said, if we don't give generously of our finances that God will not bless us.
He presented many Bible verses showing that it is Biblical and that God expects us to obey it.
We can't claim to be believers, then only pick and choose the parts of the Bible that suit our lifestyle and ignore the parts we don't like.
Below is a link listing 20 Bible verses showing that tithing is something all of Gods people must do if we are to be obedient to His Word

https://echurch.com/20-bible-verses-about-tithing/

I know that nobody will argue with Gods Word, so this is only a reminder of our obligation to tithe. I will say in advance that anyone who tries to argue against it is arguing against sound Biblical teaching
All the commandments concerning tithes in the Bible are in the Torah, in the Old Testament. These commandments were related to the payment of tithes to God, the Jews brought it to the priests of the Τemple.
Before the destruction of the Temple in the year 70, the followers of the apostles in Jerusalem, all of whom were Jews, also obeyed the commandments of the Jewish law, like the kosher commandments, circumcisions, Sabbaths and the rest, including the tithes, and their tithes were according to law required to give to the priests of the Temple of Jerusalem. Members of the Jerusalem community of the apostles were Jews, and they kept the Jewish law.
With regard to community life, as is evident from the book of Acts and the epistles of the Apostle Paul, is carried out exclusively through the donations of members of the Christian community. In the Jerusalem community no one carried the tithes to the apostles, because by law it was transferred to the Jerusalem Temple.
Therefore, in the Christian community with the apostles (and later) the commandment of tithing was never play a role to support the livelihood of the community leadership.
As already mentioned above, the Christian community practiced donations and aids to support the life of the community. Not only to leadership, but also to the poor members of the community, widows and orphans.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
All the commandments concerning tithes in the Bible are in the Torah, in the Old Testament. These commandments were related to the payment of tithes to God, the Jews brought it to the priests of the Τemple.
Before the destruction of the Temple in the year 70, the followers of the apostles in Jerusalem, all of whom were Jews, also obeyed the commandments of the Jewish law, like the kosher commandments, circumcisions, Sabbaths and the rest, including the tithes, and their tithes were according to law required to give to the priests of the Temple of Jerusalem. Members of the Jerusalem community of the apostles were Jews, and they kept the Jewish law.
With regard to community life, as is evident from the book of Acts and the epistles of the Apostle Paul, is carried out exclusively through the donations of members of the Christian community. In the Jerusalem community no one carried the tithes to the apostles, because by law it was transferred to the Jerusalem Temple.
Therefore, in the Christian community with the apostles (and later) the commandment of tithing was never play a role to support the livelihood of the community leadership.
As already mentioned above, the Christian community practiced donations and aids to support the life of the community. Not only to leadership, but also to the poor members of the community, widows and orphans.
Do you know of any scriptures which show that tithing is no longer required. I've had a look and I can't find any, so I don't see why we need to change that ordinance

S

selfdissolving

The gift of rightly discerning scripture is only given by God to certain people, such as the shepherds. The rest of us sheep including yourself don't have that gift, that's why God appointed shepherds to lead the flock of sheep.
can you please cite Scriptures to demonstrate your position?

S

selfdissolving

Do you know of any scriptures which show that tithing is no longer required. I've had a look and I can't find any, so I don't see why we need to change that ordinance
All the ordinances of the Law of Moses have been done away with in Christ

Jun 29, 2018
In the scriptures there is a law on tithing, and it concerns the Jewish temple cult, needy people and Levites - ministers of the Jewish cult. The tithe for the temple was considered sacred. As you know the Temple now is not. In the modern synagogue the tithe it is possible to contribute to the poor, to study Torahs and to others, in the modern synagogue there is no compulsory requirement to carry tithing to the synagogue, it lives by donations. This custom arose in the time of the Temple, and no one collected tithes for the support of the synagogue in Jewish society. The original Christian synagogue developed in the same way, because the Jerusalem Apostolic community was born during the time of the existence of the Temple. Therefore, the ancient Church does not know the custom of collecting tithes.

7seasrekeyed

Do you also rely on your own understanding and interpret the Bible to suit yourself. Yep, I thought so. That's what every wise guy does and we end up with 40,000 sects and cults

ridiculous post

you are very immature and I don't mean just in your faith

the drama you create is something to behold

I won't be defending you again and neither will I bother to respond

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Tithing is OT, we aren't under the law, but I believe if we give God will bless us

2 Corinthians 9:7 - Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Luke 11:42 - But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Genesis 28:20-22 - And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, (Read More...)

Matthew 23:23 - Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

It not how much we give, but we give with love. Not an obligation, like Pharisees. Must go to the work of God, or the needy, it may not go only to our church, because the work of God not only in our church. Do as the Holy Spirit lead. I hear a lot of testimonies, include my aunt family was without steady income, after giving to the Lord 10% from their income, now Millioners.

I do not believe it must 10% just do what Holy Spirit lead you to do. We aren't under the law anymore.

ljs

Jan 13, 2018
I'm sorry to have to burst your bubble but your hubbies best works are as filthy rags in Gods sight. God is no respecter of persons, He can only love those who are in Christ. The rest cannot please God in any way no matter how "good" their works are. Gods wrath abides on them
I was responding to your other post which said unbelievers cant do good works

7seasrekeyed

as far as I am concerned, I believe the incident with Ananias and Sapphira illustrates that a tithe is no longer in effect

Peter told Ananias that the money from the sale of the land was his to keep. it was the lie that was judged...not the amount of money

at this point I am wondering how many people referring to themselves as pastor are going to be judged for doing the same thing?

lying about giving, asking for extra and never getting enough it seems

if there is one thing that is terribly out of place, IMO, it is the man up front, on a Sunday morning, whose message is all about giving money and pass the offering plate

you will usually find your tv evangelists/prophets/whatever they currently call themselves, BEGGING...literally begging for money and saying things like 'we can't stay on the air unless you give'..in many cases, that would be a good thing!

I guess some here may remember the fiasco with Oral Roberts and his saga of being held for ransom by God?

some people will tell you that all the money you have is God's and so you need to dispense of it.

really? then why did Peter, an actual Apostle appointed by Christ Himself, tell Ananias that the money was his and he could have kept it all?

I think almost all Christians will agree we should give and some can give more than others. that is not the issue

the issue is someone who uses the Bible to put people on a guilt trip

that is manipulation and it is devilish. please do give...but with a good conscience and before God. you should be giving to God not a building project...do we really need another 40 million dollar edifice so a man's ego can be stroked?

if someone wants to give 10% that's fine too. but we are not under obligation to do so

ljs

Jan 13, 2018
God bless you ljs

im sure you have had to overcome many trials to please God through being a faithful wife to a husband who has yet to join the body of Christ

and i hope you can continue to be a blessing to him until he one day wakes up and smells the roses
TY Mcgee :)
I love my hubby very much , and we have been married a long time , I wasnt a believer when we got married , and yes it has been difficult at times , but I try to let Christs love shine thru me , and LOVE him !!

We have a good marriage , but I pray every day for his salvation , and I believe that God loves him , unlike Danny who says he doesnt

Your post showed love , so thank you for that !!

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
I was responding to your other post which said unbelievers cant do good works
That's right, the unbelievers best works are as filthy rags but not so for the believer. God accepts his good works because He accepts what Christ does through the believer

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
TY Mcgee :)
I love my hubby very much , and we have been married a long time , I wasnt a believer when we got married , and yes it has been difficult at times , but I try to let Christs love shine thru me , and LOVE him !!

We have a good marriage , but I pray every day for his salvation , and I believe that God loves him , unlike Danny who says he doesnt

Your post showed love , so thank you for that !!
No Danny doesn't say it, God said it in His Word. There's nothing to love about filthy rags, I don't know why you can't accept Gods Word as it stands