Should a Christian tithe, what does the Bible say

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I can tell you that I personally tithe and am 100% convinced that it is the right thing to do. There are many people who argue that it is not new covenant. I am not one of them.

You do not tithe in order to increase, you do not give sacrifice in order to receive abundance from God, you give to God to honor Him who gave to you in the first place. You give to God out of the abundance that He has already given to you. You give to God to put your faith in action, to "put your money where your mouth is".

Remember, we are told that "faith without works is dead". If you claim to love God, yet are unwilling to give of yourself to Him, just how unselfish is your love? We are to be the "bride of Christ", yet think of this, if you claim to love your spouse, yet in all that you do, you only think of yourself, the relationship will never blossom to it's full potential.

I tithe upon my increase. Let me explain, I am in business and have many dollars that come in each month and many dollars that go out each month. Some of the dollars "stick", they are my "increase", this is what I tithe upon. When I used to work for an employer, I would tithe upon my pay check. Since my gross income was not an increase, but my net income was, I personally tithed based upon my net income. My mentor chose to tithe based upon his gross income.

So, to relate to where you are. When I sell a house and receive say $25,000 at the closing of the sale. I then go through and figure how much of that $25,000 is profit. Let's say here that $17,000 is profit. Now I figure what my tax burden is on that $17,000, let's say here that it is $3,000. That makes my INCREASE $14,000. I then thank God who gave this abundance to me and grinning from ear to ear, I write a tithe check to my local storehouse (my church) for $1,400 and then rejoice for the $12,600 that I have to enjoy!

I know that not everybody does it the way that I do. I do not believe that tithing is a requirement to get to heaven.
I do believe that tithing is a requirement to increase your relationship with God.
Faith in action is a very powerful thing.

God bless you!
Mike
Welcome to CC, Mike. :)

As you may see from my comments in this thread, I disagree with your position. I believe that tithing is of the old covenant, and we as Christians are under a new covenant of which tithing is not part. There are many more components to my position, but that is the essence. I would add that I do not call voluntary contribution of money to the local church "tithing"... even if one is giving ten percent of their income.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hi mark,
One needs to twist many scriptures to arrive at some of the conclusions I've read here, and they protect their position militantly.
Since you make this assertion, I challenge you to back it up with evidence... or retract it. Bring it on.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
You would do well to start reading the Bible for yourself...

John 10:11 [Jesus said] “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. "

John 10:14 "“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— "

Hebrews 13:20 "Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, "

1 Peter 5:2 "For 'you were like sheep going astray,' but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls."

Perhaps it's time for you to stop arguing and start learning.
Let me burst that ugly bubble of ignorance there, FOR YOUR INFORMATION Jesus can not be anyone's shepherd unless you lived 2000 years ago. When was the last time you approached the shepherd?????? yeah right in your dreams dude. He's in heaven and your here in your sinful carnal body, you have no right to try to approach heaven.
Your ignorance:mad: is truly astounding

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Let me burst that ugly bubble of ignorance there, FOR YOUR INFORMATION Jesus can not be anyone's shepherd unless you lived 2000 years ago. When was the last time you approached the shepherd?????? yeah right in your dreams dude. He's in heaven and your here in your sinful carnal body, you have no right to try to approach heaven.
Your ignorance:mad: is truly astounding
Now that's funny. Well, sad and ironic...

Ephesians 2:6 "And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus"

Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
UGH, I SEE, He [danny1988] hasn't been blessed with the holy spirit yet. Besides speaking in tongues it gives remarkable insight to scripture and knowing the Lord. He's not just in heaven, he's right here with us, NOW!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
FOR YOUR INFORMATION Jesus can not be anyone's shepherd unless you lived 2000 years ago. When was the last time you approached the shepherd??????
Danny, He lives.
He did not pass away 2,000 years ago. He removed that which separates us; the veil is torn down so that we may enter the holy of holies boldly. He is with us always, and we ought to approach Him with each moment.

For thus says the Lord GOD, “Behold, I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. As a shepherd cares for his herd in the day when he is among his scattered sheep, so I will care for My sheep and will deliver them from all the places to which they were scattered on a cloudy and gloomy day."
(Ezekiel 34:11-12)
Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid or terrified of them,
for it is the LORD your God who goes with you;
He will never leave you or forsake you.
(Deuteronomy 31:6)
Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
(Matthew 28:20)

J

jaybird88

God doesn't need your money, He demands that you give it to Him generously.
explain how one can give generously when the preacher teaches you have to give money in order to receive blessings. thats not giving thats an exchange of service.

You obviously don't believe in the God of the Bible, so it's obvious you serve the god of mammon.
i believe in what Jesus teaches, not the gospel of greed.

Our pastor never asked for money for Himself, He calls it giving to the Lord and of' course the Lord blesses him with money as well from the tithes and offerings.
money is a blessing from the Lord? so this must mean those with all the money are the one our Lord loves most. those wall street bankers bust be right up there with Elijah and James the Just. strange that these people cause so much destruction in our world and its always those with very little (no money) that are actually doing all the "hands on" helping

You know nothing about Gods Church or how it works, you deny Biblical facts and you make up your own truth as you go. Good luck with that, I hope you wake up before the big heat traps you in
i know that the first Christians called themselves "the poor", quite different that the church your talking about.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
UGH, I SEE, He [danny1988] hasn't been blessed with the holy spirit yet. Besides speaking in tongues it gives remarkable insight to scripture and knowing the Lord. He's not just in heaven, he's right here with us, NOW!
i don't presume to judge whether the Spirit is in Danny or not. however evident it is to us that he says things not by the Spirit. i'm not any less guilty of acting the same way in other circumstances.

he certainly is zealous, tho :)

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
i really just meant, to point out that God wasn't striking people dead for lying, for shirking away, for denying Christ. so it seems reasonable that there is more than lying going on here. if Ananias and Sapphira were pawns in a conspiracy to entrap Peter and defame the church, a conspiracy that reached up to the Sadducees entrenched in power in Jerusalem's religious/political sphere, then of course love of money was in the root of all this, because as we see in ch. 4, they were scrambling to put a stop to the explosive growth of the believing church, fearing that they would lose their power over the people.
I certainly agree that the Mainstream preachers were afraid of losing their power and position instead of serving God in the capacity he had created for them. You may very well be right in your assumption regarding this conspiracy. I never thought about it and it really isn't explained as such. But it certainly could have been a trap for the Apostles.

It could also had been a lesson for us that when we take hold of the plow, and volunteer to represent the High calling of the Christ, such blatant, lawless behavior can not be tolerated or accepted.

I once interviewed for a job in the oil patch. The Client, who claimed to be a Christian, interviewed me over lunch and we got along good. At one point in the conversation he explained to me that he had come into some money, inheritance, and wanted to invest in a business.

He said, with a straight face and as matter of factly as a man can say, and I quote: "We thought about getting into Preaching, but decided to go into the oil and gas business instead".

That was twenty five years ago but I will never forget the way he reasoned. I got the job as we were quite poor at the time and my family needed the income. He was 47 years old and died 2 months later of a heart attack out of the blue.

Of course this means nothing, just a personal part of my life. But every time I think of this Acts story, I remember that night, and I think of Cliff.

At any rate, I agree that the Mainstream Preachers of that time we quite ruthless and had no real interest in serving the God of the Bible, and the same would be said about the couple in question, in my view.

J

jaybird88

Jesus said, many false prophets would come in His name. He said, you will know them by their fruits so how can a blissfully ignorant person like you know my pastor.
You're accusing my pastor of being a Demon in disguise, you are following the example of another false accuser of the brethren. You know Him, Jesus said you do the works of your father
only thing i know about your preacher is what you tell me, he devotes an entire sermon to money. i dont remember Jesus ever doing this.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
explain how one can give generously when the preacher teaches you have to give money in order to receive blessings. thats not giving thats an exchange of service.

i believe in what Jesus teaches, not the gospel of greed.

money is a blessing from the Lord? so this must mean those with all the money are the one our Lord loves most. those wall street bankers bust be right up there with Elijah and James the Just. strange that these people cause so much destruction in our world and its always those with very little (no money) that are actually doing all the "hands on" helping

i know that the first Christians called themselves "the poor", quite different that the church your talking about.
Go and study your Bible, you have a lot to learn boy. Remember the parable of the talents, how that wicked unprofitable servant was sent to hell because he didn't bring God extra money???????????. God gave him a coin and God said, you know that I want you to charge interest whaen yoiu invest it and bring Me back a good profit?????.

We must be good stuarts of our money and use our money to make lots more by investing in the highest possible rate returns. The fool will hold on to his money and remain poor, while the wise man will invest his money and make lots more.

God didn't give you a brain to become a loser and live in poverty, use what he has given you and prosper so you can give back to Him or he will cast you into hell for being a wicked and unprofitable servant

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
Fail. You made the assertion; you back it up.
All you need to do is pick up the Bible and then read your posts and you will see that everything you said is unbiblical. I'm not going to waste time casting my pearls before swine

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
THE POOR, THE HOMELESS, THE REFUGEES, end up in church praying to God, krishna or buddah for mercy and help. Is it ok if jesus answers some of those calls? He can you know.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
All you need to do is pick up the Bible and then read your posts and you will see that everything you said is unbiblical. I'm not going to waste time casting my pearls before swine
Yawn. When you make an assertion, it is your responsibility to support it. You have not supported your assertion; instead you have dodged.

J

jaybird88

Go and study your Bible, you have a lot to learn boy. Remember the parable of the talents, how that wicked unprofitable servant was sent to hell because he didn't bring God extra money???????????. God gave him a coin and God said, you know that I want you to charge interest whaen yoiu invest it and bring Me back a good profit?????.

We must be good stuarts of our money and use our money to make lots more by investing in the highest possible rate returns. The fool will hold on to his money and remain poor, while the wise man will invest his money and make lots more.
you didnt explain what i asked? guess that means you dont know. might want to think about that.

God didn't give you a brain to become a loser and live in poverty,
you mean like Jesus, John B and the 12?

use what he has given you and prosper
so we can be rich!! like king Herod? now that guy had some money, he issued a death warrant for Jesus, killed John, killed lots of innocent children, killed members of his own family.

so you can give back to Him or he will cast you into hell for being a wicked and unprofitable servant
lol so now we go to hell if we dont have enough money to give? wow! Jesus said feed the hungry, visit the imprisoned, heal the sick, no money ever mentioned, i will stick with what Jesus taught.