Should a Christian tithe, what does the Bible say

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Here are commandments, not choices, about giving of your wealth, which is tithing, this is including all context, of not being necessary, but it becomes something God finds necessary when He illuminates your heart and then you take joyfully the spoiling of your good, as there is better reward in Heaven...
A statement of principle is not necessarily a commandment; that is your first error. Proverbs is not a collection of commandments.

Conflating tithing with giving is your second error.

Conflating law with grace is your third error.

Three strikes, and you're preaching a false gospel.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Hogwash and codswollop.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Your contributions have ceased to be relevant. Your only interest is in promulgating your corrupt false gospel.

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
"Twisted illogic crafted with the intent to attack the person. That's called an ad hominem attack and is logically unsound."

What the Pharisees would answer back, as they cant agree they are lied can they..

Matthew 15:2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;
6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

John 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?
49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.
50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
"A statement of principle is not necessarily a commandment; that is your first error. Proverbs is not a collection of commandments.

Conflating tithing with giving is your second error.

Conflating law with grace is your third error.

Three strikes, and you're preaching a false gospel."

Your error is not knowing the word of God or believing in it, all the things that Apostle Paul and all the scriptures say are the commandments of the Lord..

1 Corinthians 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Tithing was giving, now the giving is all, forsaking all, nothing mixed up there, unless you want it to be.

The law of Christ is the grace of Christ, no confusion there also, but please keep it confused for yourself if you wish.

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
"Your contributions have ceased to be relevant. Your only interest is in promulgating your corrupt false gospel."

I gave many scriptures of the gospel, and you gave many disagreements and many of your own words, please continue in what you feel is right

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
"Twisted illogic crafted with the intent to attack the person. That's called an ad hominem attack and is logically unsound."

Regarding logic and wisdom, the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, and He turns wise men backwards..

1 Corinthians 1:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
"If you do, or do not keep the law you are under the curse
Not sure if you're confused or just ignorant.

Galatians 3:13
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law"

Information is straight forward, Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, but if we do not believe in Him we are not redeemed and still in our sins, and when we do sins, we show we do not believe in Him..
Just like I said.

If you say you are still under the curse of the Law then you show you are sinning in unbelief, rejecting the fact that He redeemed us, making it out as though He died for nothing, that His sacrifice had no effect.

So now do you agree with me that as believers we are not cursed if we don't keep all of the Law or do you still think you're under it?
From here it looks like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Are you reneging your position of a couple hours ago or are you trying to have it both ways?

Redeemed or cursed, which is it?

Sep 4, 2012
When you argue with a fool you descend to his level where he wins from experience.

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
"If you say you are still under the curse of the Law then you show you are sinning in unbelief, rejecting the fact that He redeemed us, making it out as though He died for nothing, that His sacrifice had no effect.

So now do you agree with me that as believers we are not cursed if we don't keep all of the Law or do you still think you're under it?
From here it looks like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Are you reneging your position of a couple hours ago or are you trying to have it both ways?

Redeemed or cursed, which is it?"

Not under the curse of the law of the first covenant.

Is there still a curse? Yes.
Revelation 22:3
And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

Do you die, cursed in sins from no belief in Christ? Yes.

What law must we keep now?

The law that is to be written in our heart, keeping His commandments..

Revelation 22:7
Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Proverbs 26:7-9
Like a lame man's legs, which hang useless, is a proverb in the mouth of fools. Like one who binds the stone in the sling is one who gives honor to a fool. Like a thorn that goes up into the hand of a drunkard is a proverb in the mouth of fools.

Just to say, simply because a person quotes scripture doesn't mean they are correct in what they say and proclaim.
Two people can say the same words and one speaks truth while the other spouts gibberish.
Merely swinging a sword is not wielding it - when it isn't done artfully you can endanger yourself moreso than your target.

Just saying it's possible to cite the Bible and still be quite in error.

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
"When you argue with a fool you descend to his level where he wins from experience."

1 Corinthians 3:18
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

1 Corinthians 4:10
We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.

Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
"Proverbs 26:7-9
Like a lame man's legs, which hang useless, is a proverb in the mouth of fools. Like one who binds the stone in the sling is one who gives honor to a fool. Like a thorn that goes up into the hand of a drunkard is a proverb in the mouth of fools.

Just to say, simply because a person quotes scripture doesn't mean they are correct in what they say and proclaim.
Two people can say the same words and one speaks truth while the other spouts gibberish.
Merely swinging a sword is not wielding it - when it isn't done artfully you can endanger yourself moreso than your target.

Just saying it's possible to cite the Bible and still be quite in error."

1 Corinthians 3:18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.

1 Corinthians 4:10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.

Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Sep 4, 2012

That's what's known as knowing enough to be dangerous.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
"you share Scripture about tithing and giving, then when simply asked if you do so, you refuse to answer.

this is a discussion forum, not a lecture and refuse to answer a question forum."

I was asked by somebody who showed they disobey scripture to talk about themselves, and that shows it was not from a simple type of person, which I knew.

This is a forum about Christianity, which shows to be the last to be first, to sit lowest to be told go higher, and to be the least to be the greatest, speaking of yourself shows we want to be first, letting God speak for us, shows we believe His opinion and not mans or our own.
I will tell you what I know- I know in give, i know I do not brag about ( anyone can feel free to look over my posts), I know I do not rail on about tithing and giving, I know that you do, and will even say if you do the thing you lecture and defend.

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
"I will tell you what I know- I know in give, i know I do not brag about ( anyone can feel free to look over my posts), I know I do not rail on about tithing and giving, I know that you do, and will even say if you do the thing you lecture and defend."

The op was asking about tithing, not about what I gave, so I focused on that, sorry if it offends you.

This is what I know about highly esteemed, and how Christ was not their way..

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
"What is you believe, we are under the law and must tithe, animal sacrifice etc, or

Romans 6:14
“For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.”

We are circumcised in the heart. Romans 2:29

Sacrifice for sins is remembering the sacrifice for our sins, by the Lamb.

Tithing is no longer a small token, it is to forsake all things. Mark 10:18-30 Luke 14:16-33

1 Corinthians 11:4 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

Revelation 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.
8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Yes we are not under the law to Isrsel, but we are not without law, we are as told, under the law to Christ, and obey all of His commandments in His law, which are the law magnified, all as told

1 Corinthians 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Isaiah 42:21The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Romans 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Hebrews 10:16This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

You say tithing is no longer small token, but all thing.

Is that mean you give you house, car and everything you have to the church every Sunday?

E

eternally-gratefull

A pharisee could quote the OT verbatim, I think they were proven to not know the OT pretty much at all..

I E one can have bible knowledge (know the words) yet not have bible knowledge (understand what they mean)

prophecyuk

Dec 20, 2017
The church is this. We are the priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices to God by Jesus Christ. We are that spiritual house, that household of God, Jesus Christ is the chief corner stone and the Apostles and Prophets are the foundations. It is not an earthly seen church, as they are temporal, it is eternal which is unseen, and uncorrupted, as all churches in this world have been corrupted with scandals, I never joined them. God also does not dwell in temples made with hands. God walks in us and dwells in us, and we need no man, pastor or priest to seduce and teach us, as we are told how to void that, is from the annointing which we have received ourselves, being taught by Jesus and not by man. The only sincere is a meek and quiet spirit, never corrupted, and not joined with corrupted pretend believers, and I don't say I am sincere, I know we will be told judgement day, whether we did good or bad...

When I began at age 21, I did forsake all I have to the church, but not one you talk about, one where the poor are only, who need the help, as that is what tithes are for, for them poor, as God remembers them. We also constantly help the poor, as I remember to do every day, with all we have as even reminded to do..

Galatians 2:10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Acts 7:47 But Solomon built him an house.
48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

1 Peter 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quietspirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

John 7:15 And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?
16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

1 John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Ephesians 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Galatians 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Sep 4, 2012
When I began at age 21, I did forsake all I have to the church, but not one you talk about, one where the poor are only, who need the help, as that is what tithes are for, for them poor, as God remembers them. We also constantly help the poor, as I remember to do every day, with all we have as even reminded to do..
Are you still forsaking all that you have?